PDA

View Full Version : Mercenaries, Massive Invasions & More..

Lord Shadow
03-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Ok so I understand there will be mercenaries in DoF, but what I would like to know is how do you recruit them. Are they at the local tavern, do you do so from your castle.. Personally I think it would be awesome to treat them like Knights of Honor (KoH) did and have them on the map.. You moved a general to them and were able to recruit from there.. They would randomly appear so you never knew where they'd be or what would be there unless you went looking for them. (You could even have npc mercenary armies randomly roaming around attacking & looting wherever they go.. Would give players another threat they had to be prepared for as they could appear at any time, but at the same time you could recieve a bonuses for accepting quests to go out and destroy them)

Also (& this ties into the above idea..) what about invasions.. were talking ones so large no single person or two could stop.. You would need a joint effort my a group of players or even guilds to defeat.. If it fails areas of the map could fall under control / have to pay a tribute to the invaders for a short while as a penalty.. If they win they recieve a nice reward :D

Lastly.. what about creating dueling option for battles.. where at any time during a battle the two sides can agree to a cease fire and can send forth a hero/their hero to have a duel.. The outcome of the duel deciding the rest of the battle.. This would be a way of saving a long drawn out battle or a way of ending one that has already taken awhile or has reached a stalemate.

Adamantite40
03-07-2011, 05:34 PM
:O ^^^^^ I like this guy

ImmoralAtheist
03-07-2011, 08:12 PM
They could have faction wars. A player or ai calls for support, and war camps are set up on the borders. You can then choose to supply those with troops, which are again used to attack the other faction. The war camps can either be led by ai or players themselves. Ofcourse there will need to be some sort of reward, maybe war obligations. If the war is succesful you profit from it. It could also increase your standing within the faction.

Lord Shadow
03-08-2011, 02:46 PM
I like the factions idea, maybe even receive some sort of special title for taking on certain tasks/battles.

Darathor
03-08-2011, 08:00 PM
How you actually recruit mercenaries is by just moving to another region or city/town and there will be a menu letting you choose from a variety of different mercs from your army's campsite.

NobleIre
03-09-2011, 09:33 AM
I like the idea of dueling heros, or perhaps at least having it so that if your hero falls in battle then your oppenents get a morale buff and you get a morale debuff.

The invasion concept has been discussed elsewhere, though I do support it.

I would think that there needs to be a more stable base of mercenaries.. but how about this: A stable pool of 'base' mercenaries exists somewhere - and you can find more 'advanced' (and expensive) mercenaries elsewhere by exploring/traveling?

Watari
03-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Ok
This idea of duelling heros is really good. Maybe it could also work before getting started with the battle, so when you see "hmm the other army is similar to my army" then you can let the heros just duell and there ist no time wasted and especially no army member killed. But the deafeted one will lose his hero(which is revivable).

About this mercenaries, hmm ok I dont really care where I can find them^^, but I dont like the idea of "better mercenaries can be find in special territories".

P_J_B
03-15-2011, 12:28 PM
hmm... i sense someone has seen "Troy" once too many times.

vanman98
03-15-2011, 02:01 PM
i love the movie troy an Gladiator never gets old =D also i would think that the mercenaries get recruited from the capital or your stronghold an paid for daily but are stronger than the average soldier.

Griegor Mcvennor
03-17-2011, 03:37 PM
I like the idea of mercenaries. Perhaps when you recruit mercenary units you could be given the option to customize their equipment in some fashion? That would be kind of cool for the players.

You could tie that in with quest rewards and crafting systems that would allow unit customization of hire mercs without compromising the integrity of the standard army choices.

For example.

Recruit basic dwarf mercenary. You could either pay a higher cost and he comes with his own standard equipment or you can to borrow a phrase "have him take the emperor's coin" means you pay him a basic fee and then provide custom stuff gotten from quests for crafting such as:

Custom Outfits
Custom Name/title
Armor
Shields
Flag/Banners
weapons

Give each weapon a specific stat just like an RPG and let the players create their own special additions for their armies. Make em limited to a certain number of custom mercs per army to prevent overpowering force.

Negthareas
03-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Concerning dueling heroes...

First of all, heroes to some extent are generic. There is no personal control over them. Thus, I f I see that his hero has more hitpoints/attack than mine - what is the use of dueling? It would only mean defeat for me, victory for him, and a cool show for those watching.

Unless it could be personalized [a mini-combat rpg system] I think it is an impractical concept.

Azrael
03-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Love your idea, sounds good to me.

Lord Shadow
04-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Concerning dueling heroes...

First of all, heroes to some extent are generic. There is no personal control over them. Thus, I f I see that his hero has more hitpoints/attack than mine - what is the use of dueling? It would only mean defeat for me, victory for him, and a cool show for those watching.

Unless it could be personalized [a mini-combat rpg system] I think it is an impractical concept.

I think of it in the ways you can control your character in Ultima Online.. You have a the ability to do special attacks customize strenght(hp)/intellgence(mana)/stamina(dexerity).. thow in some special moves/spells ect and creat chances for missing n such well could become very intresting I think plus ya always gotta throw in a bit of random dumb luck

nagel
04-08-2011, 09:47 PM
interesting

Deathbed
04-25-2011, 01:01 PM
I love the idea of the duel hero's . i also think that hero's stats should give you armies boost in stats.

Ravensshadow
04-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Ok so I understand there will be mercenaries in DoF, but what I would like to know is how do you recruit them. Are they at the local tavern, do you do so from your castle.. Personally I think it would be awesome to treat them like Knights of Honor (KoH) did and have them on the map.. You moved a general to them and were able to recruit from there.. They would randomly appear so you never knew where they'd be or what would be there unless you went looking for them. (You could even have npc mercenary armies randomly roaming around attacking & looting wherever they go.. Would give players another threat they had to be prepared for as they could appear at any time, but at the same time you could recieve a bonuses for accepting quests to go out and destroy them)

Also (& this ties into the above idea..) what about invasions.. were talking ones so large no single person or two could stop.. You would need a joint effort my a group of players or even guilds to defeat.. If it fails areas of the map could fall under control / have to pay a tribute to the invaders for a short while as a penalty.. If they win they recieve a nice reward :D

Lastly.. what about creating dueling option for battles.. where at any time during a battle the two sides can agree to a cease fire and can send forth a hero/their hero to have a duel.. The outcome of the duel deciding the rest of the battle.. This would be a way of saving a long drawn out battle or a way of ending one that has already taken awhile or has reached a stalemate.

Personally I thing you should have to go into hostile and dangerous land to "recruit" them.