PDA

View Full Version : Pro v noob?

BloodOfDeath
02-16-2011, 01:09 AM
I hope this game doesn't fail on account of new players getting killed off by the pro's. A lot of games die that way from the start...so to say any one have good ideas how this will work in the game?

Merku
02-16-2011, 02:24 PM
This is both an issue of balance and an issue of how the PvP system will work. From what I've been able to pick up, PvP must be consensual, but if you decline a battle you have to pay the aggressor off. As far as the balance is concerned, games SHOULD be easy to play, but difficult to master. Pros should be able to run amock over a noob - but due to the depth of the game, not because of his/her ability to memorize which unit to spam or what have you.

So, all things equal, army size, etc... a pro should win only because of better familiarity and the liklihood that he/she can micromanage a little better with experience. Pros shouldn't be able to kill off the MMO aspect of the game, only the hardcore PVP section - which is always hard to address no matter what. Reverie just has to pay attention - which I'm sure they will.

arthas242
02-16-2011, 03:41 PM
ther eis so such thing as a pro and a noob without someone winning all the time, not everything is 50/50

Dracus
02-16-2011, 06:45 PM
You guys do not need to worry about the hardcore players since it has been stated in the FAQ that there will be protection for new people with hero level ranges. This means that a high level cannot invade a low level and this also means you will not be forced to pay tribute.

Protecting the new people will not be an issue. However once you do level if you neglect getting better at the game then I believe you do deserve to get roflstomped.

acepilot23
02-16-2011, 08:42 PM
You guys do not need to worry about the hardcore players since it has been stated in the FAQ that there will be protection for new people with hero level ranges. This means that a high level cannot invade a low level and this also means you will not be forced to pay tribute.

Protecting the new people will not be an issue. However once you do level if you neglect getting better at the game then I believe you do deserve to get roflstomped.
I would agree but there are players that can get up out of noob protection only to be pwnzored later and are unable to improve their game. Maybe some sort of matchmaking tournament battle where you send off your best warriors to fight another's?

Neutral884nz
02-17-2011, 12:03 AM
So is there actually any point in fighting off a siege?, why not just pay someone off everytime and avoid getting my town destroyed? Do you get anything for succeding in defending.

It wont be alot of fun if everytime i try to siege someone they just pay me because they dont want their town to be destroyed. And after a battle does your town automatically fix itself or do you have to rebuild everything? I hope it is the latter.

DorianLuthis
02-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Having someone destroy your town is a great thing and it should stay destroyed or looted. What is the point of the game if it there is no rebuilding and the possibility of actually losing something doesn't exist. Totally unrealistic. I know it is DoF but some things in the world have to stay realistic...

Neutral884nz
02-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Judging the way they make player towns uncapturable i wouldnt be surprised if they go the carebear way and just make your town auto rebuild, which could totally kill the game.

Dracus
02-17-2011, 11:20 PM
I would agree but there are players that can get up out of noob protection only to be pwnzored later and are unable to improve their game. Maybe some sort of matchmaking tournament battle where you send off your best warriors to fight another's?

Well dude that is why there are level ranges. If your high level with just grinding and you did not learn anything then you deserve to get pwned.

nocixel
02-18-2011, 08:22 AM
This quote was from a different forum, but I'll bring my question to this thread, since it is relevant.

I don't think a hardcore mode would really work for DOF. In an RPG with hardcore mode, you can just opt out of a PvP attack with no penalty and concentrate only on PvE. But with Dawn of Fantasy, you have to pay tribute to divert an attack, meaning that the stronger players can just hassle the newer players until they are completely broke and cannot build up an army.

What happens if I'm such a "noob" that I end up completely broke and can't pay tribute to any more "pros"? Am I forced to fight and watch my city be destroyed?

Merku
02-18-2011, 02:09 PM
This quote was from a different forum, but I'll bring my question to this thread, since it is relevant.

What happens if I'm such a "noob" that I end up completely broke and can't pay tribute to any more "pros"? Am I forced to fight and watch my city be destroyed?

I imagine that this is the very thing that Reverie is testing in alpha and beta testing. Balance. Which player levels are able to be matched with each other for purposes of battle/tribute, etc. Have a little faith. If you, or any other player, generally sucks - you probably won't end up too high of a level as to be matched with those supposed 'pros.' In beta, this will likely be fudged somewhat due to wipes and what not.

Be patient, and do what you can to learn. Skirmishes sound promising for this.

Neutral884nz
02-18-2011, 05:50 PM

Why should you be able to prevent every attack? Where is the fun in that.. players won't be able to siege anyone because everyone just pays everyone else off..

Although I guess it could make both types of players leave the game because:

A) Their city keeps getting destroyed, they run out of resources and then they can't do anything about it

or

B) Players leave the game because they can't attack anyone because they just get payed off and they can't do anything about it.

So it just turns into an MMO economy sim with no warfare and its just about who can collect the most resources.

Chromatism
02-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Wow... I haven't posted here in a while. Came back here on a whim to see how much things have progressed... and its looking awesome so far!

On the topic of Pro vs Noob balance though (and bear in mind I haven't been here for a year or more, so I haven't had time to catch up with everything) I'm sure they'll implement some sort of match-making or skill based system to ensure that new players aren't simply going to get hammered by experienced pros.

We all want this game to succeed, and that isn't going to happen if you're going to get your proverbial teeth kicked in! Though having said that the break-in point is somewhat different to other RTS games considering that I wouldn't have thought a replay system would work quite so well...

Watching replays are fantastic for a new timer to help up your play, get a decent idea of what it is you're supposed to be doing and diagnosing your own mistakes. However what with the persistent cities it could be an incredibly unfair advantage to study an opposing player's set-up before engaging him in combat. Of course he could just as easily do the same to you, but that's beside the point.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Lexalive
02-18-2011, 06:46 PM
thats true i dont want to wacth my city get destoryed becasue i cant pay...

Dracus
02-18-2011, 11:05 PM

Again dude, You will not have insanely developed players demanding tribute for you would need to be in their level range to be able to get attacked or demand tribute. With this said if you reach their level range and you are not prepared then you deserve to die and start over. Maybe next time around you will learn to play and defeat players at that level range.

LiTos456
02-19-2011, 01:41 PM
There was a thread about this recently (I'd merge the two if I had time to look for it now). Either way, as I already said there, you won't be able to be attacked while you grow, and once you can fight, you can only fight those within your level range.

XeroMan
05-03-2011, 08:04 AM
There was a thread about this recently (I'd merge the two if I had time to look for it now). Either way, as I already said there, you won't be able to be attacked while you grow, and once you can fight, you can only fight those within your level range.

Sounds good!

WhileOne
05-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Hope the game is amazing, the concept sure is =)

Surrealalucard
05-03-2011, 04:43 PM
This game does look really good. Can't wait to get to try it out (If I get to). Been waiting for this kind of rts for a very loooong time.

Templar
05-03-2011, 05:58 PM
This game does look really good. Can't wait to get to try it out (If I get to). Been waiting for this kind of rts for a very loooong time.

Agreed! This game looks really good. I hope it doesn't push to far away from the norm, but I hope it brings in some great features.

Mrmekz
06-26-2011, 04:19 AM
There shouldn't be such a disparity between new comers and pros.

rat-morningstar
06-26-2011, 06:24 AM
I hope it doesn't push to far away from the norm
why would that be a bad thing?

"the norm" is a fun place to be, but it's starting to get stale
i'm hoping DoF is something different

theinternetman
06-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Different ruleset servers, period.

PvE building and trading servers, PvP servers for people who actually want to play the game.

I'm really tired of matchmaking systems. Either you want to play in PvP and accept the consequences, or you don't.

ralvin
07-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Well maybe the so called "noobs" should get some kind of protections that will prevent them from being attacked. maybe some kind of safe area is nice