PDA

View Full Version : NO attacking Offline players, can be abused?

Saitexx
02-08-2011, 10:51 AM
hello everyone :)

So far i really love everything i hea and read about this game!

there is just one thing that i am abit worried about and would like answerd.

If i see or just feel that i will be attacked, why not just log out? i mean it feels like it could be abused.

If i have missunderstood the system please tell me^^

Thank you!

master0p
02-08-2011, 11:14 AM
For what i know is, if you would be attacked and your online and the siege would start and you would go offline, it will count as a loss.
So I wouldn't be worried about that.

I will be worried that some people might "lagspike" other people so they dropout.
I wonder if that will count as a loss..

Noel Bohac
02-08-2011, 11:14 AM
This has already been thought about and we posted something on it sometime ago. I would like to give you the definite final answer, all I can say is we know, there is a solution what that value is can change daily. Eh I think someone with coding experience (if your not familiar) might be able to put one and twenty together and figure this one out :) Thou, give it a bit of time and your answer will be given when we are ready to go open beta.

-Noel

Sorry for the "roundabout" answer, we have a solution in place, it's just something I am unable to speak about till we are final in the build.

master0p
02-08-2011, 11:18 AM
thanks for clearing that up :d

I rather have a roundabout answer :d than just speculations.
thanks !:D

NobleIre
02-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I remember reading that you'd get charged with a loss if you log off while in mid-siege. As to logging off if you feel that an attack is coming.. well that could be abuse of sorts, however, I suppose that would depend on how reliable your paranoia is. ^.^

TriggerHappyNDB
02-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I remember reading that you'd get charged with a loss if you log off while in mid-siege. As to logging off if you feel that an attack is coming.. well that could be abuse of sorts, however, I suppose that would depend on how reliable your paranoia is. ^.^

My guess is that the only thing that type of paranoia would be reliable for in DoF is effectively turning you into a very, very lonely person ;).

Ezekiel
02-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Glad to hear they are aware of the possibilty's of people abusing it and have got a conclusion already, most companys usually wait until the game is out before they have fixes for these sort of things.

Thumbs up.

Merku
02-08-2011, 04:52 PM
My guess is that the only thing that type of paranoia would be reliable for in DoF is effectively turning you into a very, very lonely person ;).

Though if the trend from our other discussions about the RTS/MMO functionality continues... we may all be very lonely without guild/clan friends anyway! :(

Blasted technical limitations! I'm sure it'll be fine, no matter what. :P I've followed DoF for too long now to think it'll flop. Too good of an idea.

swedishviking
02-08-2011, 05:17 PM
It is probably something as simple as an official log out. For example, you may click the button to log out but there is a timer in the background. If you disconnect or log out, the timer starts and begins to log you as a forfeit.

Most MMOs don't allow you to log out immediately

darklegends8
02-08-2011, 05:22 PM
The only thing is what if you disconnect due to internet problems?

swedishviking
02-08-2011, 05:42 PM
How does the game know if you disconnect forcefully or by accident? They can't unless a significant number of people in your area also lose connection at the same time....it is just an unfortunate fact of life at that point

Noel Bohac
02-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Again great questions that need answers, sadly (you know whats coming) I can't atm, however I wanted to ring in here because in the end as it has been stated, the idea here is to continue patching/improving and releasing new content. If in fact our "fix" per say doesn't pan out (not that I don't think it will) we are very open minded to change the whole concept or parts there in. Point being, even in all our testing etc, once months and months go by, what we thought and even what you guys thought might change in all respects. In this there is no reason not to change it. Get what I mean? In other words, what needs to be done to make the game "Fun" will be done.

-Noel

QuantaDragon
02-09-2011, 07:33 AM
The only thing is what if you disconnect due to internet problems?

I wonder about that same thing. Like if you get disconnected and couldn't log back in for a bit, what will happen to you?

NobleIre
02-09-2011, 10:46 AM
I imagine that you will suffer the same 'loss' as if you had disconnected intentionally. There is likely no way for the devs to tell the difference, and it would be unfair for the attacker if you were to disconnect either way in the midst of battle and they get nothing for their effort and potential losses.

However: Perhaps there could be a 'waiting' feature. Basically a sort of 'pause' that would enact in the battle when someone disconnects and which gives them a preset amount of time to reconnect. Say - 5 minutes. They get disconnected and have five minutes to reconnect and resume the battle - if they fail to do so then it is a 'loss' just as if they had declined the fight to begin with.

TriggerHappyNDB
02-09-2011, 10:51 AM
However: Perhaps there could be a 'waiting' feature. Basically a sort of 'pause' that would enact in the battle when someone disconnects and which gives them a preset amount of time to reconnect. Say - 5 minutes. They get disconnected and have five minutes to reconnect and resume the battle - if they fail to do so then it is a 'loss' just as if they had declined the fight to begin with.

I believe that is one of the top contenders for the current system--or at least, one of the most logical contenders :). Ultimately, I don't think we have much to worry about. The Dev team and their minions are veteran RTS players and know that any system the put in place has the potential for abuse. Fortunately, they also have the knowledge and means to properly safeguard against those abuses.

swedishviking
02-09-2011, 03:23 PM
I imagine that you will suffer the same 'loss' as if you had disconnected intentionally. There is likely no way for the devs to tell the difference, and it would be unfair for the attacker if you were to disconnect either way in the midst of battle and they get nothing for their effort and potential losses.

5 minutes is ridiculous, waiting that long just to continue an attack is dumb. what do i do in the mean time, stare at a paused screen for 5 minutes.....and if they allow you to "minimize" the battle and go work on your city, do i get forcefully pulled back to the battle if they long on again or is it possible to forget the battle and i suddenly lose....does an AI take over

1 minute is my vote

NobleIre
02-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Honestly, if you lose internet connection - how many people will be able to regain it and reconnect to the game in 1 minute? That'd be useless for most people. I don't think five minutes is that long and I don't think it's asking a lot for you to wait five minutes in order to finish your attack. I agree that it would be better if they allowed you to do something else during that 'pause', but I don't think it's entirely necessary. Get up and go get a drink - bam, five minutes over.

swedishviking
02-10-2011, 05:52 PM
thinking on it a little bit, 5 minutes is a bit manageable however i would prefer to be able to do something else in the mean time

master0p
02-10-2011, 06:16 PM
I bet when you do alot of challenges with other players you will meet frequently more dropouts.
trust me you are going to get crazy with 5 min.
But on the other side, if your the one that drops out and you just lose your resources by a lame dropout its fustrating as well.
I Kinda vote for AI take over, but overall i just need to experience it to really have my opinion in this matter.

CzeReptile
02-10-2011, 07:00 PM
For what i know is, if you would be attacked and your online and the siege would start and you would go offline, it will count as a loss.
So I wouldn't be worried about that.

I will be worried that some people might "lagspike" other people so they dropout.
I wonder if that will count as a loss..

what about if you have to go just as the siege begins?

master0p
02-10-2011, 07:07 PM
what about if you have to go just as the siege begins?

lol i guess you just turn off the game? or resign?:P either way you will lose the resources as it counts as a loss.

zhaoyun23
02-11-2011, 12:24 AM
I'm sure they will have a good system in place to prevent abuses and abuses will probably get banned..so no worries :)