PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Question

TheDarkOne
04-08-2008, 08:40 PM
My question is, since it is an mmo that means that thousands of other people will be playing this game, so there for when i log off what is stopping some verry high ranking guy from comming along and compleatly arradicating my base while im logged off?:confused:

will your castle just dissapear when you log off or will be replaced by a high level AI player?:confused:

And the last question is when are you going to release some information on the dragons and some more gameplay i for one am begging for more info:D

†TYRANICK†™
04-09-2008, 01:36 AM
You know...thats a dam good question as i was wondering this too :confused:

I would assume...based of older mmo's and other similar systems...is that you'll either:

-Be completely unattackable whilst your/there logged off or
-You will be worth no points or honor or w/e and the attacking player or you will be punished for attacking you/them (then again that wont stop people)
-Your/there base will completely dissappear and be replaced with maybe some kind of "no go" zone or some kind of restriction or w/e

Or...something along those lines, i dunno.

Because it would be weird wouldnt it, for when you go to "expand" your base, all of a sudden someone logs in on the deceptively empty peace of land you want to build on... and a fortress suddenly appears from from above your 2 workers and squash lol or...you would walk into an area and it would go "You cannot build here...this spot is reserved" or something...be kinda annoying.

It it worked like that or something...you would need the world map to be absolutely MASSIVE and maybe you can only build in your factions "province" and if you try to wander in to some other province you get like...border patrol or endless spawns of guards and warning coming at you, or maybe theres actual physical preventions from you simple straying into another players territory or w/e...then again what about other players in your province...hmmmm

OH! Unless...there are forms of "instances" or "battlegrounds" that you participate in to attack other players or something

Well I simply dont know how it would/will work. If players of the same faction are automatically freindly towards each other and oppossing factions arent then...i guess that would be slightly easier but some what limit the playability

Lol well hopefully someone can reverie can help clear it up :)

frankein_fish
04-09-2008, 01:55 AM
Well as far as i know the castle will still be there but u can't attack it.

Jean=A=Luc
04-09-2008, 03:54 AM
Ummm, I'm not even sure it will even work that way. I don't think there will actually be a gigantic map with all the players on it at the same time, that seams pretty insane. It was said that your region (with all the buildings, units etc.) will carry on from one battle to the other. But I can't really say I fully understand DoF's mmo concept yet...

frankein_fish
04-09-2008, 05:52 AM
But I can't really say I fully understand DoF's mmo concept yet...
Hehe, neither can i :rolleyes:

Konstantin Fomenko
04-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Hehe, neither can i :rolleyes:

Double that - neither can I:p

However, I do enough to answer your question -

Your Kingdom can`t be attacked by other players if your not loged in. Also your kingdom can`t be attacked if your in a quest, or attacking another player. It is hidden from the game world in these instances.

However, your kingdom can be attacked while your units are traveling back home or to some quest location or to attack another player - so there will be instance where your Kingdom is vulnerable unless you make sure to leave some troops at home.

And there won`t be one huge world map, we have to break things down into zones - think WoW for example.

welshie
04-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Will it be like in most other MMO's thay there will be inter-changeable server/realms to log on so says ones got lodes of people on can u chose to go on to a lower populated server/realm, or maybe have it so when u first pick your server/realm thats the only one you can use. or will it just be one massive big server/realm?????

frankein_fish
04-09-2008, 08:53 AM
I hope for one BIGGA ZERVA (40K fan) :P

The Witch King of Angmar
04-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Same here. It gives me the sense that I have to play and update things regularly.

Neotyguy40
04-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Please tell me this will be like Ballerium (except better graphics, gameplay, and well... Everything * 500).

†TYRANICK†™
04-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Same here. It gives me the sense that I have to play and update things regularly.

Indeed. I wonder how different online will be...

OK for example, would it have any features of worldshift? Which were basically as you progress through the game you earn rewards or artifacts which you can use to strengthen your units or your base or...some kind of MP feature were you continuously thrive and grow?

Then again played the worldshift beta...thought the gameplay was boring and far too easy...also I hated the idea that you were "forced" to go online, even to play single player...graphics weren't that great either, even for a beta.

Things i did like as i mentioned about were the artifacts thing after levels and, the contribution it had on your units and buildings, also the background globe was cool too.

A/w back on topic...

I hope that the single player and skirmish modes are completely separated from online (in a solo sense)...so your not forced to be online. As the godawful constant DC's in worldshift killed it for me...

Which makes me wonder...if its an "MMO" RTS...Wouldn't that imply that there would be an almost limitless amount of upgrades and improvements you could research? (or a hell of a lot to say the least?)

We really need a new gameplay vid, as well as more info on MP and the dragon race....

Konstantin Fomenko
04-09-2008, 09:41 PM
I hope that the single player and skirmish modes are completely separated from online (in a solo sense)...so your not forced to be online.

Completly separate and offline only:) Think of DoF as of ur typical retail RTS, epic single-player campaign, multi-mode skirmish, world editor e.t.c The only difference - there is also a whole MMORTS world to discover after ur done with single-player.

supagu
04-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Double that - neither can I:p

However, I do enough to answer your question -

Your Kingdom can`t be attacked by other players if your not loged in. Also your kingdom can`t be attacked if your in a quest, or attacking another player. It is hidden from the game world in these instances.

However, your kingdom can be attacked while your units are traveling back home or to some quest location or to attack another player - so there will be instance where your Kingdom is vulnerable unless you make sure to leave some troops at home.

And there won`t be one huge world map, we have to break things down into zones - think WoW for example.

Can this be broken down in to world regions? eg europe, asia pacific, US that way we can be fairly certain that there will be plenty of other people onlline when we play and it reduces lag :)

The Witch King of Angmar
04-10-2008, 10:07 AM
I don't know if they'd do that.

Puppeteer
04-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Just have to wait and see, till all is revealed

Mannel
04-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Wow, I really liked the part about my (and others mwhaha) KD's beeing vulnerable when they a troopmovement is taking place. This adds another level of strategy into the gameplay. Keep it up! ;)

Puppeteer
04-12-2008, 05:04 AM
True, was always a case in many RTS just in normal battles whereby an opponent would literally "empty" his/her whole fortress to assail the enemy... thereby leaving their fortress vulnerable save for a few underused, meagre defences (a turtler doesn't usually get much chance to rest then go on the offensive lolz).

†TYRANICK†™
04-12-2008, 10:05 AM
True, was always a case in many RTS just in normal battles whereby an opponent would literally "empty" his/her whole fortress to assail the enemy... thereby leaving their fortress vulnerable save for a few underused, meagre defences (a turtler doesn't usually get much chance to rest then go on the offensive lolz).

That a very feeble attempt at being a turtle if that happens to you :p or your opponent.

My turtle strategies are much more versatile, and efficient :D. Read the siege thread for some of my...very successful, strategies ive used in the past ^^

Puppeteer
04-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Fine, I steroetype. From those turtlers I've seen, once a camper-always-a-camper, never go offsenive :) and never win! :D

The Witch King of Angmar
04-12-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm always on the offensive, I hate turtling.

†TYRANICK†™
04-12-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm always on the offensive, I hate turtling.

As they say...a good offense is the best defense...but then again a good defense can be the best offense.

From what it looks like...immediate rushing would be a bad idea in this game as i dont reckon you would be able to do much, it does seem very much city based. BUT very cleverly allows for any and all strategies to take focus.

I dont always turtle, but for RTS's where bases are essential then I do...games likes dawn of war or company of heroes or starcraft and warcraft etc, all are much more unit focused and turtling is the worst thing you could possibly do on those games.

But for games like this...i would like to sit back and admire my creations, explore the map, and create my army. I'm like a hybrid, turtle...but get out there asap to claim all the good stuff. I even have secret strategies such as while im hunting for resources and taking my small squads for wander around for other enemy squads...i end up setting up special places around the map where...wait, im not gonna say lol in case im against 1 of you lot 1 day haha :P.

Overall its just my play style mostly, im good with it, and its proven its effectiveness. Don't call me strictly a turtle though, as i said, I'm often experimenting with bizarre strategies :D

Robert Schultz
04-13-2008, 12:37 AM
A good defense is never the best offense. You can't conquer a enemy if you sit back and let hims take over.
However a good offense is always the best defense. If the enemy is defending, they are not attacking.

†TYRANICK†™
04-13-2008, 03:57 AM
A good defense is never the best offense. You can't conquer a enemy if you sit back and let hims take over.
However a good offense is always the best defense. If the enemy is defending, they are not attacking.

I agree with you but that's...not what I meant sorry I'll say it again.

True...a good defensive is never the "best" offense, i shouldnt of said that lol, but theres no reason a good defensive cant be "offensive"

Imagine a situation where you have a 1000 unit army, now imagine an incredibly well defended city with 9 or 10 layers of walls, endless guard towers, long range defensive siege engines, and anti infantry. Your gonna have problems.

Your not always defending if you turtle, (unless your a noob and have no idea how to play the strategy). An offensive defense is more of generic term for the direction of play, you rely on your base to fend off major threats whilst your own army can do the important flank work, and rid you of your forward base camp...so then ya go, a defensive offense. Your being suppressed by defenses, whilst getting overwhelmed by this huge random army that's just appeared.

But yes your right in saying if you just sit back and wait, not a good idea. You gotta get out there. Which most turtles i see fail at...they take far to long and mostly do nothing and just wait for you...layer attack works best then *shifts eyes* sshh :p

But alas I'd need to experiment heavily with what works best in which situation. I would think the game would "aim" you into using a variety of tactics.

Hence why I reckon different games modes should do the trick, like in my other post.

The biggest weakest which I always see with rushers is that, they always attack in huge clumps and concetrate on one particular area which is stupid and never works, because then you just choke all the access points and lead them into traps.

Oh btw it would be so cool to be able to hide our archers on the walls, then click a button to have them pop-out and lay waste to your enemies below :D. hehe always wanted to see that.

The Witch King of Angmar
04-13-2008, 06:59 AM
There may be towers the archers can garrison. The key to rushing for me is keeping your base somewhat defended while you are rushing and attacking with small groups all over the place to somewhat overwhelm the enemy.

†TYRANICK†™
04-13-2008, 07:59 AM
There may be towers the archers can garrison. The key to rushing for me is keeping your base somewhat defended while you are rushing and attacking with small groups all over the place to somewhat overwhelm the enemy.

Cool, but i mean pop up from walls...ive seen them mounted on walls so theres hope :D

Aye good strategy, but you'd have to be careful of your attacking points because sooner or later you may become choked, if they decided to heavily defend that certain area (if they can defend it in time lol).

Bastiaan
04-13-2008, 10:10 AM
i also would like to see that you can ambush enemy's like at a forest with a passage you can flank them and stuff

SPARROW94
04-13-2008, 11:00 AM

"DO NOT KNOW DEATH WHEN YOU SEE IT OLD MAN, THIS IS MY HOUR *SHRIEKS"

The Witch King of Angmar
04-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Cool, but i mean pop up from walls...ive seen them mounted on walls so theres hope :D

Aye good strategy, but you'd have to be careful of your attacking points because sooner or later you may become choked, if they decided to heavily defend that certain area (if they can defend it in time lol).

The elves, if you look at their castle screens, have things that the elves can hide behind for a shield type of thing. So I'd say maybe to that suggestion.

SPARROW94
04-13-2008, 11:34 AM
oh with wals some thign just popped in my head. if you played BFME2 or C&C3 they would eith build walls that lead into ya'll base and build some annoying defence but in C&c they would build power plants going to your base and then build a sonic emitor >_>

Puppeteer
04-14-2008, 01:58 PM
I would like to see wall mantlets... improvised wooden defences with slits so archers could fire through.

Arrow slits in walls for the men :o archers would be nearly invulnerable from the imprevious walls!

I wonder if elves get mantlents, in which case they can be turned into light canoes for transport. The Native Americans did that.

The Witch King of Angmar
04-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Like I said before, elves may have that. Just look at the screens.

Konstantin Fomenko
04-15-2008, 09:20 PM
I would like to see wall mantlets... improvised wooden defences with slits so archers could fire through.

Yeah, we have tons of wall upgrades - like boilling oil, trebuchets, and matlets - hoardings.

Here`s example of a human wall upgraded with hoardings.

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/RND2/6.jpg

Feweh
04-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Pretty cool!!

Puppeteer
04-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Top-Notch work! Love the hoardings, nice touch and the town looks very medieval; crowded buildings! :D

Ovocean
04-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Speaking about the buildings, err... as I've seen on other screenshots, you still have houses built into each other, hehe. I suppose this will be corrected? :D

Darvin
04-16-2008, 12:37 PM
I think that's how it works; the houses literally interlock.

The Witch King of Angmar
04-16-2008, 01:54 PM
It looks fine to me.

Ovocean
04-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Yes, it is not very noticable on this image. So look at this one :
http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/pc/d/w/dwfapc042.jpg

See how they are overlapping? It's clear with the roofs on the right. If you zoomed close enough, you would also see some windows cut in two by the wall of another house, that's what I've seen on another screenshot.

This is only noticable if you pay close attention. But when it's done... :D

The Witch King of Angmar
04-16-2008, 04:29 PM
I think it looks better with the houses connceted in my opinion.

Feweh
04-16-2008, 05:04 PM
I think it looks better with the houses connceted in my opinion.

Agreed completely

Ovocean
04-16-2008, 05:25 PM
I think it looks better with the houses connceted in my opinion.Hehe, how can you judge if you know only one way?
Anyway, of course it's better with the houses connected, but if they don't overlap it's even better! That would probably require a lot of work, new models, new positioning, etc. Such a shame.

Am I a graphics fanatic? Probably.

Neotyguy40
04-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Hehe, how can you judge if you know only one way?
Anyway, of course it's better with the houses connected, but if they don't overlap it's even better! That would probably require a lot of work, new models, new positioning, etc. Such a shame.

Am I a graphics fanatic? Probably.

I don't really care for graphics, as long as the gameplay is good.

I would rather have a game that has Nintendo 64 graphics with great gameplay then a simple rail shooter on the PS3

The Witch King of Angmar
04-16-2008, 07:03 PM
I agree completely.

Konstantin Fomenko
04-16-2008, 08:53 PM
We did decided to go with houses ovelapping like that. It`s totaly fine for the roofs to overlap - and well, quite medieval looking:). And our map designers are doing their best to make sure that if you zoom in, you`ll only see roofs overlap, but not windows/doors. And that doesn`t look all that bad.

Here`s a screen:

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/RND2/7.jpg

Ovocean
04-17-2008, 02:22 AM
Ok. Hehe, I see two windows cut in half in the right of the screen.
Still, it's a beautiful shot, I like all the details and the textures and I agree, the overall look is not bad at all.

frankein_fish
04-17-2008, 03:42 AM
Well it's alot better quality now, and those house's look great:D

Puppeteer
04-17-2008, 11:14 AM
That fortress is of epic proportions.
I like it like that...

The Witch King of Angmar
04-17-2008, 02:26 PM
I like how it shows interaction with the townspeople as well. That livens things up a bit.

Neotyguy40
04-17-2008, 03:57 PM
We did decided to go with houses ovelapping like that. It`s totaly fine for the roofs to overlap - and well, quite medieval looking:). And our map designers are doing their best to make sure that if you zoom in, you`ll only see roofs overlap, but not windows/doors. And that doesn`t look all that bad.

Here`s a screen:

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/RND2/7.jpg

Well graphics are good too I guess :p ...

Jean=A=Luc
04-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Does anyone else feel those guards are a bit on the tall side? :p

The Witch King of Angmar
04-17-2008, 08:03 PM
That's what I was thinking.

welshie
04-18-2008, 03:03 AM
Does anyone else feel those guards are a bit on the tall side? :p

yeh they loots like giants against them doors

Ovocean
04-18-2008, 03:13 AM
Actually it's the opposite, it's a tiny town with cute tiny houses. These guys are like big children, they love miniatures and living in a small environment, makes them feel secure and cosy. :p

Jean=A=Luc
04-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah, the town could be small too. I don't mind so much, scales are very rarely realistic in games, it's just kinda funny seeing those giant guards chillin' in that narrow alley/street. :)

Puppeteer
04-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Maybe it's more of a gamplay purpose, so they don't want to fail like SupCom imo

Axal01
04-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Fine, I steroetype. From those turtlers I've seen, once a camper-always-a-camper, never go offsenive :) and never win! :D

That is so false... Id like to say, im a defensive player mostly. Buildup economy/defense and when I know im ready to go on the offensive ill make sure that i have enough resources to send out another offensive force while making sure "again" if all fails, defensive mode comes in.

But its false.. I was a turtler in BFME2 when they said it would be impossible to turtle because of the radius of the farms and blah blah, but i did and i won many times for it.

Most of the time, the opponent would quit because his rush failed.

Its a chain reaction. Turtle Vs rusher - Rusher fails and quits, turtle quits when rushed. Both lose. Ive seen it in every RTS game ive played :P

Axal01
04-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Maybe it's more of a gamplay purpose, so they don't want to fail like SupCom imo

SupCom? If your talking about Supreme commander, Your false again. Supreme commander did not fail with anything.

LordSlayer
04-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Even if it didn't fail with anything, SupCom wasn't that great.

Puppeteer
04-19-2008, 05:39 AM
The units were too tiny in default view. I didn't like that. That's were SupCom failed in my eyes.
You can't say I was wrong in EITHER of those situations. notice the imo, so it's an opinion. Also,
From those turtlers I've seen
The turtlers I played, though albeit I didn't play much online, all did that and never went offensive. It's not false, I know what I've played.

LordSlayer
04-19-2008, 02:16 PM
The turtlers I played, though albeit I didn't play much online, all did that and never went offensive.

If that's true, then you really need to play against real players, not stupid noobs that think that they'll win by hidding in their bases, because most turtlers just turtle to get lots of ressources to be unstoppable late-game.

Puppeteer
04-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Heck I'm rubbish and focus on making a "pretty wittle base" other everything else.
In cnc3 (the bare minimum I played that repulsive vile-monstrity of a game), I made sure everything was in alligned so it was all organised GDI base. Then they nuked it :D