PDA

View Full Version : Clans/Guilds

KingofPain
02-06-2011, 04:31 PM
If there can be clans and guilds, I think we should have something where you can choose a banner for it or an emblem(coat of arms). I think that'd be kinda cool. I wouldn't be sure how to implement it though.

master0p
02-06-2011, 05:00 PM
we have a whole thread about idea's of army banners
check it out
http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2242

NobleIre
02-06-2011, 05:25 PM
That's true - but he's talking about banners for guilds. I would say that such a thing is less than ideal. You already have banners for your army.. and so guild banners would have to cover up your own banners.

The only way I would even consider this being useful, is if you could choose which banner to use.

arthas242
02-06-2011, 08:55 PM
does it really matter when the world will be ruled under my one banner?

willyneo
02-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Could always be like medevial war parties. Just have mass amounts of banners flying around.

echang
02-07-2011, 09:17 PM
That's true - but he's talking about banners for guilds. I would say that such a thing is less than ideal. You already have banners for your army.. and so guild banners would have to cover up your own banners.

The only way I would even consider this being useful, is if you could choose which banner to use.

You wouldn't necessarily have to rely on choosing a banner. For example, they could design it so there are two sections on a banner pole, where the top is your personal army banner and the bottom is the guild banner, or vice versa.

Custos
02-08-2011, 02:18 AM
If there can be clans and guilds, I think we should have something where you can choose a banner for it or an emblem(coat of arms). I think that'd be kinda cool. I wouldn't be sure how to implement it though.

I strongly agree if you were to have a guild that you should have a guild banner too. It helps unify people in game and allows them to identify each other based off a unique banner. And I also like the idea of having the guild banner over your banner (but not covering) kind of like a roman legionnaire standard. I think it would be really cool to see multiple different flags with a unifying banner which they all are in allegiance too. Much like in medieval war, kings would call upon their lords to aid in battle the lords would bring their soldiers to battle under their own standards but ultimately the armies marched for the king and under his standard. The mix of flags would make for a very cool visual effect even though it wouldnt change anything tactically.

TriggerHappyNDB
02-08-2011, 07:37 AM
You wouldn't necessarily have to rely on choosing a banner. For example, they could design it so there are two sections on a banner pole, where the top is your personal army banner and the bottom is the guild banner, or vice versa.

This is pretty much how I envisioned it per the main suggestion. That would be really cool to have each column of your army have one main banner and under it a slightly shorter banner that declared what guild you were in.

NobleIre
02-08-2011, 08:29 AM

This is true, and would be an acceptable way to do it.

Noel Bohac
02-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Love the discussion guys! As far as banners go , we do have the other thread to reference too, but I get where you are going here. All I can say is (well not much haha j/k!) that if certain things don't make it on launch it will after. How I would LOVE to show you guys all the ideas for after release concepts floating behind the doors, sadly I can't but , things like this... keep the convos going! Conceptions come from good inspirations! So nothing said is wasted ;)

*Big brother dev's are always watching o_0

jasont21
02-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Love the discussion guys! As far as banners go , we do have the other thread to reference too, but I get where you are going here. All I can say is (well not much haha j/k!) that if certain things don't make it on launch it will after. How I would LOVE to show you guys all the ideas for after release concepts floating behind the doors, sadly I can't but , things like this... keep the convos going! Conceptions come from good inspirations! So nothing said is wasted ;)

*Big brother dev's are always watching o_0

couldnt you just... cough and accidently release some not so important but interesting info lol

swedishviking
02-08-2011, 04:52 PM
I strongly agree if you were to have a guild that you should have a guild banner too. It helps unify people in game and allows them to identify each other based off a unique banner. And I also like the idea of having the guild banner over your banner (but not covering) kind of like a roman legionnaire standard. I think it would be really cool to see multiple different flags with a unifying banner which they all are in allegiance too. Much like in medieval war, kings would call upon their lords to aid in battle the lords would bring their soldiers to battle under their own standards but ultimately the armies marched for the king and under his standard. The mix of flags would make for a very cool visual effect even though it wouldnt change anything tactically.

From a historic standpoint, they wouldn't cover up the individual flags with a single flag because it allowed them to know who was doing what and where....That would eventually change centuries later, but what they could do is what was mentioned by Triggerhappy except with a slight modification, make the personal flag vertical so it hangs on the pole and guild flags thinner and horizontal so it waves sideways in the wind. sort of like banners that hang from windows and banners that flow in the wind on the roof....just combine them.

NobleIre
02-08-2011, 07:11 PM
From a historic standpoint, they wouldn't cover up the individual flags with a single flag because it allowed them to know who was doing what and where....That would eventually change centuries later, but what they could do is what was mentioned by Triggerhappy except with a slight modification, make the personal flag vertical so it hangs on the pole and guild flags thinner and horizontal so it waves sideways in the wind. sort of like banners that hang from windows and banners that flow in the wind on the roof....just combine them.

I was kindof thinking along those lines, except having the guild (vertical) banner just be across the pole, centered on it. Kindof like some ancient roman banners, etc. (though the cross section wouldn't necessarily be another flag in those circumstances.) So basically, a big vertical flag and then a small thin flag - perhaps requiring guild banners to be more simple.

swedishviking
02-09-2011, 02:31 PM
I was kindof thinking along those lines, except having the guild (vertical) banner just be across the pole, centered on it. Kindof like some ancient roman banners, etc. (though the cross section wouldn't necessarily be another flag in those circumstances.) So basically, a big vertical flag and then a small thin flag - perhaps requiring guild banners to be more simple.

The interesting thing about roman banners is that they required that they have red background, but the design was up to the legion...some had wolves, eagles, horses, etc...

If we were to go along those lines, then you can make it just 1 banner with a single color background across the entire army then allow the individual coat of arms as the design...basically a small shield with the coat of arms layered onto the single color guild banner

TriggerHappyNDB
02-09-2011, 04:08 PM
So the ideas floating around in here seem to suggest two different designs, which ultimately share the idea of an upper guild banner and a lower city banner. I refer you to the following ASCII diagrams.

Stacked Standards Design [echang]

___________||___________
| |
| |
| Guild Banner |
| |
| |
\ /\ /
\ /||\ /
\______/ || \______/
___________||___________
| |
| |
| |
| |
| City Banner |
| |
| |
| |
| |
\______________________/
||
||
||

Topside Flow Design [swedishviking]
|| |
||__________________/
||
___________||____________
| |
| |
| |
| |
| City Banner |
| |
| |
| |
| |
\_______________________/
||
||
||

Am I kind of getting the jist here? You'll have to forgive whatever minor flourishes I may have added that may or may not be in the original concepts.

NobleIre
02-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Yeah, essentially. Though I was thinking of having your personal banner on top, sort of to more clearly identify your own troops.

master0p
02-09-2011, 07:35 PM
I prefer this

||===============
|| =
|| Guild =
|| =
||===============
||===============
|| ]
|| ]
|| City banner.]
|| ]
|| ]
|| ]
||===============
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||

NobleIre
02-09-2011, 08:25 PM
I was essentially thinking of the first one that triggerhappy posted, but reversed. I just think it looks better, and is more medieval.

master0p
02-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Since its actually personal taste it would be nice to choose the layout template from a few picks.
For example small flag, big flag , flag is in the middle , flag has sharkteeth in the end.
People can pcik on theyre personal taste the layout + icons + color of the flag.

Maybe its also cool to see banners that are not just the regulare "flags"
for example the pole with the flag, instead of the cotton flag just only the pole with 1 huge shield on it.. on the shield itself you could make ofcourse your color+ icons.

I will post tomorrow a miniature with a flag in its hand , it has a accessory i made myself , maybe that idea could be used for DoF

NobleIre
02-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Since its actually personal taste it would be nice to choose the layout template from a few picks.
For example small flag, big flag , flag is in the middle , flag has sharkteeth in the end.
People can pcik on theyre personal taste the layout + icons + color of the flag.

Maybe its also cool to see banners that are not just the regulare "flags"
for example the pole with the flag, instead of the cotton flag just only the pole with 1 huge shield on it.. on the shield itself you could make ofcourse your color+ icons.

I will post tomorrow a miniature with a flag in its hand , it has a accessory i made myself , maybe that idea could be used for DoF

Definitely a cool idea. :p And for orcs, perhaps more of an animal skin flag or the like.

master0p
02-10-2011, 08:29 AM
I found some stuff.
It was a long time ago since this was my hobby.
But now you can see what i sort of mean :p

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/1997/img00208201102101618.jpg

NobleIre
02-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Is that like.. a cthulu skull I spy in there? ;) lol.

master0p
02-10-2011, 08:45 AM
haha yes :P thats correct.
This would be a nice orc flag i think :D Blue skinned trol on top with skulls

swedishviking
02-10-2011, 04:49 PM
So the ideas floating around in here seem to suggest two different designs, which ultimately share the idea of an upper guild banner and a lower city banner. I refer you to the following ASCII diagrams.

Stacked Standards Design [echang]

___________||___________
| |
| |
| Guild Banner |
| |
| |
\ /\ /
\ /||\ /
\______/ || \______/
___________||___________
| |
| |
| |
| |
| City Banner |
| |
| |
| |
| |
\______________________/
||
||
||

Topside Flow Design [swedishviking]
|| |
||__________________/
||
___________||____________
| |
| |
| |
| |
| City Banner |
| |
| |
| |
| |
\_______________________/
||
||
||

Am I kind of getting the jist here? You'll have to forgive whatever minor flourishes I may have added that may or may not be in the original concepts.

Both have their issues, 1) the first idea has the issue of size...how big/small should the banners be to be able to see both clearly...if the banners turn out to be massive in relation to the troops then might be a little strange to look at...course if the banners are too small then designs on the banners are useless, 2) the second idea (my idea), is less of an issue of size, but more to do with ability to put designs on the smaller one since it is more compact...

that being said, in either case the flags could theoretically interchangeable between guild and personal....it is just a matter of realism vs design constraint

NobleIre
02-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Actually, both would have the same size issue. :p They'd just have to decide on the correct proportions for each flag. :p Regardless of how the flags stick off, there is still only so much height.

swedishviking
02-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Actually, both would have the same size issue. :p They'd just have to decide on the correct proportions for each flag. :p Regardless of how the flags stick off, there is still only so much height.

Thats mostly true, my concern for the first idea is about fitting 2 similar size banners on a pole that both have designs on them...if the banners were just colors then it wouldnt be very much of an issue what size they were because you can discern colors more easily than designs on small objects....

Since my idea provides for seemingly less surface area coverage, you could at least see a small design on the large banner as opposed to the small horizontal banner....

you are right though the issue is still a problem, but less so with 2 banners varying in size

NobleIre
02-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Yeah, that's why I said (and then drew poorly) that the second banner should be more of a thin bar across the flag. It would be essential, I think, to have the two banners be of greatly varying sizes. The smaller banner could have simpler design schemes, so that it is still recognizable. (such as just a single color and emblem)