PDA

View Full Version : Can we build cities?

Griegor Mcvennor
02-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Do we build our cities to our preferences or can we only build from a pre build schematic based on the areas we have chosen to live in? I'd like to be able to design my own city if it's possible.

Dracus
02-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Do we build our cities to our preferences or can we only build from a pre build schematic based on the areas we have chosen to live in? I'd like to be able to design my own city if it's possible.

This is actually a good question. is there a determines land area where we can build and we can construct as we please or will the their be a set amount of buildings per city ?

Custos
02-06-2011, 03:04 AM
This is actually a good question. is there a determines land area where we can build and we can construct as we please or will the their be a set amount of buildings per city ?

read the faq, it states that the wall structures are preset and there are certain plots given to humans on which they can build. Elves build in trees (damn tree huggers) and the orcs can build anywhere cause they're smelly. I too was kind of hoping to design my own castle, but can see the difficulty in that. They do however allow you to build your economy and military the way you see fit. Just that the basic essentials are preset with foundations that will be built when researched.

master0p
02-06-2011, 04:55 AM
read the faq, it states that the wall structures are preset and there are certain plots given to humans on which they can build. Elves build in trees (damn tree huggers) and the orcs can build anywhere cause they're smelly. I too was kind of hoping to design my own castle, but can see the difficulty in that. They do however allow you to build your economy and military the way you see fit. Just that the basic essentials are preset with foundations that will be built when researched.

In the city itself the buildings of men/elves are preset and automated.
Humans can build on certain plots( not in the city) for instance like a mill/farm to gain more resources.

arthas242
02-06-2011, 12:21 PM
this is why the ORCS ARE THE BEST! WE DON:T CARE ABOUT ANYTHIGN we see a spot we build on that spot and call it a fortress

Henry Martin
02-06-2011, 01:22 PM
To make sure no confusion happens. Yes the elves and the humans have to build their buildings on plots (humans) or trees (elves). The orcs however can building their buildings anywhere allowed (some places on the terrain you cant for obvious reasons). BUT the walls for each race including the orc's will be a predefined design. If you have been going through the threads it has been mentioned that there will be several wall designs you can choose from.

Hans
02-06-2011, 01:46 PM
I like that style of gameplay, cause no wall spamming kids or unrealistic strongholds ;)

And who know BfME 1 where it was same (just not that big) know that this Gameplay had much fun !!!!

Zwilorg
02-06-2011, 05:03 PM
:( what a pitty i would like to build my walls on my way....

but if it is that hard to implement i kinda understand :S

Noel Bohac
02-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Don't worry about the walls guys, you would think the pre-defined would be bad. But with the landscape and the way we designed them you will see "why" we did what we did. The looks alone will explain that enough and in the end there is SOOOOO much customization you can do to your walls and defenses, it won't really be missed. I am one that loves to "build where I like" , but in the case it makes sense even for me and that is saying allot.

When housing etc can mold perfectly into the wall on curves, angles etc nothing I have seen in any game has a better real castle feel then this look alone, not to mention all the other goodies. You guys won't be disappointed. Having the walls be build anywhere (when it was tried ) was prone to abuse is another reason. So being this is a heavy MP game, goes without saying.

Dawiichan
02-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Yea, I don't know if I would enjoy pre-designed or not. I mean some castles may be built pretty badly if it wasn't so I can see why they made that decision. I think I'll just wait and see the pre-designed walls.

willyneo
02-07-2011, 12:33 AM
I was hoping that you would be able to design it from the ground up. Alwell. I remember the warcraft 3 custom maps a map called Castle Builder. I could spend hours building one castle just to never be attacked. But I always made wall after wall one time A friend and I took just over 1/4 of the map. We had so many walls and doors and unupgraded towers since they cost food to upgrade. I can see how some of the castles people build might become impossible to kill.

cyril360
02-07-2011, 03:37 PM
is the game focused on building a econmy or get large armies?

Kultyz
02-07-2011, 04:23 PM
I was hoping that you would be able to design it from the ground up. Alwell. I remember the warcraft 3 custom maps a map called Castle Builder. I could spend hours building one castle just to never be attacked. But I always made wall after wall one time A friend and I took just over 1/4 of the map. We had so many walls and doors and unupgraded towers since they cost food to upgrade. I can see how some of the castles people build might become impossible to kill.

Ye i remember that mod and it was amazing tbh in wc3, however i think it's a bit not functional in a mmo based rts, we could allways build build and build more and either everywhere we went was already built or it was under construction :P

This game has to have some kind of restrictions on how much u canbuild imo however i think as more variety of things u can build the better it will look /so everone can build they own shape ideal zone)

Merku
02-07-2011, 05:01 PM
To the original poster and any subsequent posters regarding the building; while a Reverie member has commented - it might be best to show you what we know... lemme dig up that gameplay video... It does a good job showing you some aspects of city building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrkBJT9c7Jg&feature=player_embedded

That's the May 2010 video. I'm sure plenty has changed since then, functionally. Perhaps not conceptually.

From what's there, it seems like there are stages, or tiers of the castle - and then the city building aspect comes from what you build while in that stage, or tier. I haven't seen or read anything about what is required for an upgrade to a bigger stage, or tier. For clarification, what I mean by stage or tier is from the above video; note that the human city goes through stages of development - from a lone, I'd suppose keep - to a basic keep with surrounding wall, and so on. I'd call that a tier for the purposes of this discussion.

Noel Bohac
02-07-2011, 08:43 PM
To the original poster and any subsequent posters regarding the building; while a Reverie member has commented - it might be best to show you what we know... lemme dig up that gameplay video... It does a good job showing you some aspects of city building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrkBJT9c7Jg&feature=player_embedded

That's the May 2010 video. I'm sure plenty has changed since then, functionally. Perhaps not conceptually.

From what's there, it seems like there are stages, or tiers of the castle - and then the city building aspect comes from what you build while in that stage, or tier. I haven't seen or read anything about what is required for an upgrade to a bigger stage, or tier. For clarification, what I mean by stage or tier is from the above video; note that the human city goes through stages of development - from a lone, I'd suppose keep - to a basic keep with surrounding wall, and so on. I'd call that a tier for the purposes of this discussion.

Correct, pretty much on track here, the customization comes down to defensive structures, buildings you build etc. While the wall placements is always a conversation of constant discussion. I would put to you that if you remember games that offer such, how abusive people got with them in MP games. Not to mention you loose the whole aesthetics within the genre with walls becoming mazes and barriers, one after another.

Give it time guys, once you get to see it in action I think you will understand why and grasp the fact that this is really not a bad thing ;)

ilovemmorts
02-08-2011, 01:53 AM
As long as there's no real limit on how big you can make your castle (just perhaps it must be symetrical, like a square shaped. no long skinny castles) then the not being able to place your walls idea would work fine. I just wish there was more information on this game with unbelievable potential. Barely any videos at all out there!

Would love to get into the Open beta

Thaiden
02-09-2011, 12:30 PM
I assume there would be some 'limit' to how big the castle is, hopefully the customization is enough to keep everyone busy.

Are there a lot of different building configurations for humans/elves or will the customizations be enough to make castles vary aesthetically?

NobleIre
02-09-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing how much you can customize. I was at first dissapointed to see that walls are of set designs, but if it still enables you to customize defensive structures - then that is a big plus.

Mokhir
02-09-2011, 09:15 PM
If the walls are preset, is there a limit to howmany layers of wall we can build? NOT meaning spamming 8 layers of stone walls to ward of attack i mean if the game is building cities like real cities, then you would build a towncenter, buildings, then wall that off. Then move onto the outer sections, build buildings, then wall it off. Sectioned parts of town that keep growing but with a limited about of wall that gets added around the section.

Example: Skin cells
Example #2: Honeycomb

I would really hope this is possible, but would be able to live without it if not. This is after all a really cool game. :D

master0p
02-09-2011, 10:29 PM
yes there is a limit.
1 outer wall for orcs and elves
2 outer walls for humans

NobleIre
02-10-2011, 08:34 AM
I thought I read somewhere that you could build more than one wall.. like a lesser wall and a greater wall. I want to remember reading that in regard to orcs, since they have smaller palisade walls and then stouter walls, and that they could build one of each.

Or perhaps it was to build one.. then upgrade to the other. I don't remember now.

master0p
02-10-2011, 09:11 AM
"The Men are also the only race that can build two layers of Heavy Walls allowing for a large town with a centralized keep".

I read that in this post : http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2016

Meaning it can be 2 outer walls and 1 innerwall or just 2 walls.
I assume 2 walls.
Maybe a dev or someone can clear that up.

NobleIre
02-10-2011, 09:36 AM
That quote says two heavy walls for humans only. What I remember of the orcs said ( I think..) that they could build one of their palisade (weaker) walls, and one heavy wall. And that would seem to reinforce that.. so everyone can, I suppose, have two walls? (one cruddy, one strong.) Except humans who, I suppose, may be able to have two strong walls.

master0p
02-10-2011, 09:41 AM
"Players have two choices for walls: Palisade and Heavy Wood."
"layers may opt to build a layer of palisade walls and then later, build heavy walls over them when they have sufficient resources."

I quoted two lines from what i have read in the explanation.
Not sure if my perception of reading is right on this one but i assume that you could build a palisade walls and upgrade it to heavy walls. By building heavy walls over the palisade ones.

Hmm maybe you could be right but i think orcs can only build 1 layer of walls.

Neutral884nz
02-13-2011, 02:31 AM
I understand why players can't choose to build there own walls, if anyone has played the stronghold series, particulary SH2 in multiplayer people could build nothing but towers, which had about 10x the stength of walls. So there castles where just walls of towers.. not only did it look stupid but it was almost impossible to break through.

I assume due to the fact we can't build a massive wall defense that walls should actually take a considerable amount of effort to destroy/climb, otherwise people will just abuse 10 siege weapons or what not and take them down in seconds, im sure the devs have taken that into consideration though.

xxxsaxxx
02-13-2011, 03:08 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

LiTos456
02-13-2011, 10:23 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'd advise you to not do that, at least add some kind of a post to your swarm of smileys...

Godwyn
02-13-2011, 10:23 AM
i wonder is this game something comparable with stronghold?

Hans
02-13-2011, 10:30 AM
I understand why players can't choose to build there own walls, if anyone has played the stronghold series, particulary SH2 in multiplayer people could build nothing but towers, which had about 10x the stength of walls. So there castles where just walls of towers.. not only did it look stupid but it was almost impossible to break through.

I assume due to the fact we can't build a massive wall defense that walls should actually take a considerable amount of effort to destroy/climb, otherwise people will just abuse 10 siege weapons or what not and take them down in seconds, im sure the devs have taken that into consideration though.

Thats why i hate Stronghold 2 and stoped playing after 2 days online .

And sometimes the Walls in rts games (aoe etc..) looks really stupid cause of hills etc....

In DoF it cant happend ... (i hope) ;)

mblade
02-13-2011, 02:50 PM
building cities make this game much more simmilar combo between Civilizationa and total war series :P

Nordmann
02-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Don't worry about the walls guys, you would think the pre-defined would be bad. But with the landscape and the way we designed them you will see "why" we did what we did. The looks alone will explain that enough and in the end there is SOOOOO much customization you can do to your walls and defenses, it won't really be missed. I am one that loves to "build where I like" , but in the case it makes sense even for me and that is saying allot.

When housing etc can mold perfectly into the wall on curves, angles etc nothing I have seen in any game has a better real castle feel then this look alone, not to mention all the other goodies. You guys won't be disappointed. Having the walls be build anywhere (when it was tried ) was prone to abuse is another reason. So being this is a heavy MP game, goes without saying.

Sounds very nice. Maybe its better to use some pre-defined stuff than build half the world with walls :D

Neutral884nz
02-13-2011, 11:39 PM
i wonder is this game something comparable with stronghold?

I was just trying to give an example of how walls may be abused. Walls are significant in that game and i assume they will be in this game too.

Griegor Mcvennor
02-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Well can we get some clarification on this then? Will it be possible that you developers add more wall structure designs than what is currently in the game? By that I mean, will you continually update and add new Fortress designs so that it at least feels like we have a large variation in designs from city to city. I'd hate to see a large number of players in the game with the same City designs over and over.

I don't know to me one of the biggest problems in MMO's these days is lack of customization. I think city customization is going to be the thing that makes or breaks a game like this along with army/unit balance.

nocixel
02-15-2011, 08:58 AM
I'd hate to see a large number of players in the game with the same City designs over and over.

I assume individual build sites will create some variety, but I wonder about the sameness of every city, also. Will there be at least trivial ways to customize your city? Such as the shape or shade of the stone. Or self selected banners hanging from the walls.

Hans
02-15-2011, 10:14 AM
I saw many different Castles/Strongholds on screens, but i dont know if we can choose what Stronghold we take, maybe its a choice of map .......

Would be cool if we can choice what castle we take before we start building it ! :D

Noel Bohac
02-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Well can we get some clarification on this then? Will it be possible that you developers add more wall structure designs than what is currently in the game? By that I mean, will you continually update and add new Fortress designs so that it at least feels like we have a large variation in designs from city to city. I'd hate to see a large number of players in the game with the same City designs over and over.

I don't know to me one of the biggest problems in MMO's these days is lack of customization. I think city customization is going to be the thing that makes or breaks a game like this along with army/unit balance.

Yes, it all depends on how the game does on the market etc, so far everyone that has seen it has had the response "Wow! Where has this one been hiding !" So that's a good sign ;) Plus our publisher is working on getting our game out there, so things are on their way. But in the end, sales will determine these factors, but there is allot, I mean ALLOT of ideas in the team floating around about what to do next, so much so that well, let's just say, we won't run out of things to do ! :) As far as graphics etc, in the build it is easy to add more and or change things around and their are plenty in place as is. You will see soon enough!

So much I would love to share with you guys on ideas and concepts of the future that would make you go "THAT!!! GIVE ME THAT!" hehe, sadly I can't talk of them, but it IS indeed being discussed ;)

- Noel

MurdaMunkey
02-16-2011, 06:28 PM
hmm, honestly there should be some sort of system to where you can design your walls, and have them pass through some sort of approval step, Giving us the unique creativity we desire, and you the power to say "Screw that its one giant wall!"

Lord Shadow
02-19-2011, 04:36 PM
While I can understand not being able to freebuild your walls (shouldn't have any weird half & half between the wall & terrian), I hope there is more than just one or two options for the layout. I fear with only a handful of layouts people will quickly learn which layouts are vunerable to certain attacks and exploit their weakness. I guess either way really there are pros & cons... :confused:

Pilus
02-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Thinking about preset positions for buildings I instantly recall a bad memory from age of conan. It is not completely the same, but when building a player city in that game the buildings were so far apart that it did not have any city feeling at all. It felt like a field. Judging from the screenshots I am however not too worried that the same problem will happen here with preset positions.

GPS51
02-19-2011, 10:40 PM
From the screens released so far you can see that the towns are filled with buildings/units. Feel free to go drool through the media release area of the folder :D

Tolbby
02-19-2011, 11:07 PM
I don't know much since I haven't played the game, but judging from some Gameplay video's, it looks like you build them up however you please. If this MMORTS was one of those where they pretty much say:

You build up your empire any way you want! BUT YOU MUST BUILD LIKE JUST LIKE THIS!!!!:mad:

Those games I frown upon. Real RTS games let you build up however you see best fit, not standard setups. That's why I like RTS games such as Warcraft and Starcraft. If this RTS game has custom buildups like some gameplay suggests, then That's yet another plus from me.

MrJc
02-21-2011, 03:12 AM
this is why the ORCS ARE THE BEST! WE DON:T CARE ABOUT ANYTHIGN we see a spot we build on that spot and call it a fortress

HELL YEA! we put a stick in the ground and say its our home! we dont care were just gonna take over someone else home >:3

gucho01
02-21-2011, 08:10 AM
u can i guess

GPS51
02-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Lol. I like how everyone complains about lack of "free build" for the 2 races but when it comes down to it only 2 designs would ever be used. OP and slight less OP. The prebuilt wall options control that and keep the game balanced. :) Have faith in the devs folks. They know what they're doing ;)

wiredpenguin
02-24-2011, 01:08 AM
While the concept of "freebuild" might appeal to that inner architect in us, as has been stated in the thread previously, it has vast potential for abuse. I would much rather have balance and sacrifice some creative aspects than repeatedly running across castles that are 4 layers of wall or towers and nearly impossible to penetrate. Does having limited designs does mean that weaknesses in those designs will be discovered quicker and exploited? Yes, so as a defender players will just have to step up their game and learn how to compensate for those weak spots (more units stationed at a weak part of the structure, etc.). As long as we are able to customize certain parts such as defensive structures, banners, etc. I'll be happy.

Framer
02-24-2011, 06:06 AM
While the concept of "freebuild" might appeal to that inner architect in us, as has been stated in the thread previously, it has vast potential for abuse. I would much rather have balance and sacrifice some creative aspects than repeatedly running across castles that are 4 layers of wall or towers and nearly impossible to penetrate. Does having limited designs does mean that weaknesses in those designs will be discovered quicker and exploited? Yes, so as a defender players will just have to step up their game and learn how to compensate for those weak spots (more units stationed at a weak part of the structure, etc.). As long as we are able to customize certain parts such as defensive structures, banners, etc. I'll be happy.

I agree completly with this

kleratzia
02-24-2011, 07:26 AM
some people will build walls everywhere like stronghold online... :mad:

strelekt
02-24-2011, 08:05 AM
maybe, you can block 100 of walls...

geniadrim
02-24-2011, 10:59 AM
mmh, i like biiiig city with biiiiig walls :D then im very safety;)

klefussos
02-24-2011, 11:37 AM
for me its ok to build your own city, but at least it cost much time and i think it should be structured. it dont makes fun you come to the map with your army and you just look into chaos... i hate it!

dernialis
02-24-2011, 01:05 PM
i dont like much chaos like stronghold ... but on the other hand, when you have to many house you must have the choise to defend that ones.

delar
02-24-2011, 01:58 PM
walls: yes! to defend other armys! to many walls: no! because there is to much chaos, not looking nice and the game plays not fluently...soooo, when you have a big city with many buildings, you should build some strictly walls but not to much