PDA

View Full Version : map sizes....

Oblitherate
06-03-2007, 08:57 AM
are the maps gonna be supreme commander size or classic age of mythology or age of empires sizes? cause i was kinda hoping for big huge battles.

and also how lower end pc friendly is this gonna be?

Thanks

Darvin
06-03-2007, 12:43 PM
This is what was said in another thread:

Max zoom out:

http://dawnoffantasy.com/media/screen19.jpg

Since our maps vary greatly in size I`ll have to describe it myself by giving a few examples from standard skirmish gameplay.

Map with two player towns on it would be around 6 by 6 max zoomed out screens.

Map with four player towns - 9 by 9.

With 6 player towns - 11 by 11.

With 8 - 13 by 13.

Oblitherate
06-03-2007, 09:38 PM
alright now how about system reqs what are the current estimates?

Thanks

Darvin
06-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Can't remember where I read it, but I believe they've said it's too early to say.

Konstantin Fomenko
06-05-2007, 08:33 AM
It is too early to name system specs, but imo - any video card Shader 2 compatible, with 128mbs, and 2.0+Ghz system will be sufficient.

Ryan
06-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Just a little secret... Intel QuadCore's are a minimum, so start saving!

Just kidding, the graphics card is one of the most demanding aspect of the game at the moment, as Konstantin said, it will require a 128MB Shader 2.0 Video Card. Most gamers I would expect are past the 2GHz point at the moment if they are looking to keep up with games coming out in 2008.

My system runs the current version of DoF (which is constantly set on max settings) without any noticible lag:

2.8Ghz Intel Core2
2GB RAM
512MB GeForce 7900

For those who don't have the PC to run it, there's always the XBOX 360 version.

Darvin
06-05-2007, 08:50 PM
the graphics card is one of the most demanding aspect of the game at the moment

That's true for most titles these days, I find.

Based on what you've just said, anyone replacing their computer with a new upper or middle class platform in the near future should be able to run this game without any issue. Unless you've got an aging machine that you can't upgrade or replace, looks like this one won't be difficult to run.

Oblitherate
06-11-2007, 05:04 PM
alright thanks alot my computers age is really starting to show time to upgrade.......

The Witch King of Angmar
06-14-2007, 11:45 AM
That's true for most titles these days, I find.

Based on what you've just said, anyone replacing their computer with a new upper or middle class platform in the near future should be able to run this game without any issue. Unless you've got an aging machine that you can't upgrade or replace, looks like this one won't be difficult to run.

Hey my computer could run BFME and BFME2 beautifully thanks to an Nvidia graphics card i got about a year ago. I dont know the specs on it but if I since I have a good video card as well in your opinions do you think we could run it?

PS I have an Emachines if that means anything.

jap88
06-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Hmmm, i'm kind of interested in knowing what those little buttons in the upper left corner of that screen Darvin posted do...

Doug Bonds
06-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Hmmm, i'm kind of interested in knowing what those little buttons in the upper left corner of that screen Darvin posted do...

Those are the units selected and their health. If you will look to the right of the screen, you will see the circles around the selected units. As it is now, the annoying health bars that usually hover over units are represented on the side where they are not distracting from the action.

Darvin
06-15-2007, 12:24 AM
There's a big flaw I see with that system, it's VERY difficult to tell which health bar refers to which unit. I think the best way to handle annoying health bars is just to have a button to display them. When the button is depressed, the health bars are all shown. When it isn't, no health bars are shown.

Doug Bonds
06-15-2007, 12:41 AM
I would have to agree with you Darvin. I noticed the same flaw. But, like I said, this is how it is ATM. That, like may other things are still a work in progress.

jap88
06-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Yeah, i was about to say... Good idea trying to get them out of the way since they are kind of distracting. Maybe health bars in the UI somewhere? I couldn't know since i haven't seen the UI (obviously) but you never know i guess... i'll just throw stuff out there :P Darvin's idea is quite good i must say, just a hotkey for displaying unit health.

The Witch King of Angmar
06-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah, i was about to say... Good idea trying to get them out of the way since they are kind of distracting. Maybe health bars in the UI somewhere? I couldn't know since i haven't seen the UI (obviously) but you never know i guess... i'll just throw stuff out there :P Darvin's idea is quite good i must say, just a hotkey for displaying unit health.

Personally I like health bars and very rarely find them irritating.

Darvin
06-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Same here, although I don't mind if they aren't shown so long as there's an easy way to view them (such as moving the cursor over the unit in question, or pressing a key like alt)

The Witch King of Angmar
06-19-2007, 06:48 AM
Same here, although I don't mind if they aren't shown so long as there's an easy way to view them (such as moving the cursor over the unit in question, or pressing a key like alt)

My biggest pet peeve is when I see a building, try to click on it and I can't because the view shows it's blocked behing another building. In other words, only like 1/2 of the building is showing and when you go to click on it, it wont let you.

Ryan Zelazny
06-19-2007, 10:21 AM
My biggest pet peeve is when I see a building, try to click on it and I can't because the view shows it's blocked behing another building. In other words, only like 1/2 of the building is showing and when you go to click on it, it wont let you.

Thats when being able to rotate your view comes in handy ;)

Konstantin Fomenko
06-20-2007, 08:56 AM
To follow up on the last question. Use can select object/building with 100% precision, even if you 1% of the building is showing, and you click on that dot - you got it selected.

And as Ryan mention, we streamlined camera rotation, as it`s a control we want players to use (at least once in a while).

Darvin
06-20-2007, 12:39 PM
One of the things that always ****es me off with camera rotation is when the minimap doesn't rotate with it. I want the alignment on my screen to correspond with my minimap, and as such I almost always revert back to the default facing after a rotation.