PDA

View Full Version : Army Banners

Lee7778747
02-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Do we get to create our own army banners or army uniforms like the symbols or colors?

om3n
02-01-2011, 09:24 PM
oooooooo that would be pretty cool imo. Would give it that extra bit of personalization.

Dracus
02-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Do we get to create our own army banners or army uniforms like the symbols or colors?

Depending on the level of customization it could be good, however, having people with obscene banners well.....just would not be cool.

Pyrasia
02-02-2011, 01:19 AM
I hope we can at least pick Primary and Secondary colors for the armies and banners.
Would be cooler with options for Symbol/Icon. Better yet if we can upload 36x36 or w/e the size for the icon.

Noel Bohac
02-02-2011, 02:43 AM
I can't directly comment on this topic for obvious reasons but I agree... is that enough? lol... so lets just say my vote is there :) I can say this much however,... the team here is comprised of allot of RTS and strat players. All of which at one point or another have had the same view points as most of you. In a game like this in a persistent world, it would make sense then to have such a feature wouldn't it? Yeah, I know.. it's not that definite yes or no answer you are looking for, but I am trying to put across that there are a TON of features we want to see in the game. Will they all make it at launch? All depends on what we can fit in.

This is why Konstantin our fearless leader (well, ok maybe not all fearless hehe) has mentioned so many good things about adding features and expanding on the game after launch. It comes down to (as many of us gamers know) on if the numbers are there sales/population etc, like any great game, then more will follow.

I wanted to chime in here, for as a gamer like many of you, I have been gaming and coding for 20+ years now(yes that makes me allot older :P ), since the DOS days. So allot of us on the team really have the same aspects, desires and wants you would want to see in a title like this.

Just today we went threw some in house testing and came up with a major solution to a fix that was determined on the "tactics" factor and what you the player (and we as players ) would expect this particular issue to be. It was solved and decided after good debate and discussion with testing we got the perfect fix.

Some of you may also like to know that many of us are mappers, modders as well. I mention this because if you are an RTS fan and enjoyed many titles in the past, I can GUARANTY you , that you played one I made or one someone on the team made. It amazed me after joining the team to meet so many people that well; we should have met a long time ago. As we talk about other things and found that many mod and map we did in the same game's and didn't even knowing it. I find it just thrilling to have such great talent pool here.

I personally look forward to the years that come from this title and others as well. I am glad so many are starting to spread the word and be as excited as many of us have been for a long while. This is that game many of us always dreamed of. Being able to part of a persistent world and clash with friend and foe, make alliances and bash some heads ;) Fun years ahead for sure!

Ops! I went on rant didn't I? Oh well, hopefully this information was informative, someday after the chaos of launch is out of the way, we can talk mod shop :)

Dracus
02-02-2011, 02:47 AM
I can't directly comment on this topic for obvious reasons but I agree... is that enough? lol... so lets just say my vote is there :) I can say this much however,... the team here is comprised of allot of RTS and strat players. All of which at one point or another have had the same view points as most of you. In a game like this in a persistent world, it would make sense then to have such a feature wouldn't it? Yeah, I know.. it's not that definite yes or no answer you are looking for, but I am trying to put across that there are a TON of features we want to see in the game. Will they all make it at launch? All depends on what we can fit in.

This is why Konstantin our fearless leader (well, ok maybe not all fearless hehe) has mentioned so many good things about adding features and expanding on the game after launch. It comes down to (as many of us gamers know) on if the numbers are there sales/population etc, like any great game, then more will follow.

I wanted to chime in here, for as a gamer like many of you, I have been gaming and coding for 20+ years now(yes that makes me allot older :P ), since the DOS days. So allot of us on the team really have the same aspects, desires and wants you would want to see in a title like this.

Just today we went threw some in house testing and came up with a major solution to a fix that was determined on the "tactics" factor and what you the player (and we as players ) would expect this particular issue to be. It was solved and decided after good debate and discussion with testing we got the perfect fix.

Some of you may also like to know that many of us are mappers, modders as well. I mention this because if you are an RTS fan and enjoyed many titles in the past, I can GUARANTY you , that you played one I made or one someone on the team made. It amazed me after joining the team to meet so many people that well; we should have met a long time ago. As we talk about other things and found that many mod and map we did in the same game's and didn't even knowing it. I find it just thrilling to have such great talent pool here.

I personally look forward to the years that come from this title and others as well. I am glad so many are starting to spread the word and be as excited as many of us have been for a long while. This is that game many of us always dreamed of. Being able to part of a persistent world and clash with friend and foe, make alliances and bash some heads ;) Fun years ahead for sure!

Ops! I went on rant didn't I? Oh well, hopefully this information was informative, someday after the chaos of launch is out of the way, we can talk mod shop :)

I have been gaming for many years and never been a fan boy to a particular game and I can tell you this. Rants like this are what I consider a huge factor in good game designers. This shows passion I have seen in many game designers in great titles. To be honest I really hope this game gets steered in the right direction.

Noel Bohac
02-02-2011, 02:56 AM
Thank you for the kind words Dracus,

I can say I know exactly what you mean, been that way myself. It is a great feeling to have such passionate people who also love what they are doing for the type of game they are producing is that which they would want. Don't take me wrong, we have "our days" it's not all peaches and cream doing this work, but that passion is what keeps the drive going for sure.

Glad to see my "rant" was note worthy. ;)

Corpsebloom
02-02-2011, 03:19 AM
I think custom army banners would be cool, I'd be worried about them getting abused though. I mean have you seen some of the clan tags in Black Ops?

Smikis
02-02-2011, 06:06 AM
They could always have restrictions and presets, where you cant put any offensive crap in them, apart that would custom banner be visible, how offten player would look at them, would old player care about my banner, or new guy care about my banner instead ofthat huge force face rolling his army,
probably not..banners on it self should be rly huge to be visible, i remmeber back in warhammer, they promised us 534953490534 ways to customize your character with trophies.
what end result was like 2-3 spots on shoulders, for trophies you couldnt even see yourself unless you zoom in, i wont mention guy 5 yards from me, or that guy 30yards from me whos considering to stomp my face in.. so in reality those features are hard to implement and not always worth time over other things

arthas242
02-02-2011, 10:29 PM
how about preset's but just make sure there are so many different combination's, it will be hard to have the same looking banner/color and u can give each race it;s own banner style to, kinda like starcraft where every template has a zerg, protoss, and terran looking version

Lee7778747
02-03-2011, 12:09 AM
The reason I brought this issue up was that I played APB (all points bullitin). The great this about that game was the customization and what you could make. I remember seeing like geek squad vans and other things. I just thought it would be really cool to see different banners for alliances or just your town in general. It's definitly not a requirement at all for the game just something I thought would be pretty cool and I know would be a great added bonus to some people.

Dracus
02-03-2011, 12:36 AM
The reason I brought this issue up was that I played APB (all points bullitin). The great this about that game was the customization and what you could make. I remember seeing like geek squad vans and other things. I just thought it would be really cool to see different banners for alliances or just your town in general. It's definitly not a requirement at all for the game just something I thought would be pretty cool and I know would be a great added bonus to some people.

Customization is ok. However I prefer to have gameplay and balance be a priority over that. I mean I beta testes APB....and I hated it. The idea was awesome on paper but the execution WAS TERRIBLE. I seriously did not enjoy the game for more then 40 mins.

Oh and trust me I pick up various games and been in various beta testing and do not suck or do biased reviews of games. (hell I hit lvl 50 in Aion 1 month from release and I still give it a decent review)

NobleIre
02-03-2011, 08:57 AM
I think it'd be simple enough to prevent abuse. You could make it so you can change color schemes without problem. Also, the use of presets would prevent most abuse. To allow it to be more customizable, they could allow 1-2 color fields on each banner and 2 images (from preset image selections). They could have heraldic-like icons and then simpler icons (like scrolls, elven text, etc.) that could be used beneath certain icons if you desired.

blackraven
02-03-2011, 10:35 AM
I love customizing banners and stuff That was my favorite part in the first Dawn of War. So I hope using Photoshop or something like DOW'S army painter to create banners will be a possibility.

hocus
02-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Customisation is always a fun factor I for one would love to see it introduced, though how many people will play elves and just turn them into dark elves by applying a solid black colour scheme?:) It might be interesting to see a human unit in pink and orange just for a bit if fun and from a experimental view point. Anyone think a unit like that would get auto gibbed by a whole enemy force?

blackraven
02-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Customisation is always a fun factor I for one would love to see it introduced, though how many people will play elves and just turn them into dark elves by applying a solid black colour scheme?:) It might be interesting to see a human unit in pink and orange just for a bit if fun and from a experimental view point. Anyone think a unit like that would get auto gibbed by a whole enemy force?

lol pink and orange you sir are just silly cuse pink and purple are the best oh and a unicorn on the banner! On a serious note I assume there will be a small form of customizations in game and even that would make me happy.:)

master0p
02-03-2011, 12:00 PM
@ Noel Bohac.

That is exactly the reason why this game is going to be succesfull :).
The experience and passion that your dev team have is just amazing.
When i read how much passion you have after 20 years.. its just amazing.

I feel the same i grow up with Dos games when i was small and i could even type some dos codes to install and start a game up when i was like 5-6 years young.
And to see a grand work of art like this coming out after all these years gaming!

Just one word "fantastic" to see people have the same passion.

About banners , I prefer preset symbols which you can blend in as well with other symbols.
Ofcourse you can pick the background color and colors of the lines/symbols.
Forming a guild/alliance would be nice to see the different people acting like some sort of vassel of the guild/alliance by having each theyre own banner.
Everyone still wanna be unique right ;) so having your own banner is kinda a must!

blackraven
02-03-2011, 12:06 PM
@ Noel Bohac.

That is exactly the reason why this game is going to be succesfull :).
The experience and passion that your dev team have is just amazing.
When i read how much passion you have after 20 years.. its just amazing.

I feel the same i grow up with Dos games when i was small and i could even type some dos codes to install and start a game up when i was like 5-6 years young.
And to see a grand work of art like this coming out after all these years gaming!

Just one word "fantastic" to see people have the same passion.

About banners , I prefer preset symbols which you can blend in as well with other symbols.
Ofcourse you can pick the background color and colors of the lines/symbols.
Forming a guild/alliance would be nice to see the different people acting like some sort of vassel of the guild/alliance by having each theyre own banner.
Everyone still wanna be unique right ;) so having your own banner is kinda a must!

Yes that would be a good way of limiting all the obscene banners that could be made in photoshop and would be made. I think that would actually be the best way to do it kind of like Black Ops.

nauro
02-03-2011, 12:57 PM
It wouldn't make sense to not have banners or some other identifying thing.

ZyndromZ
02-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Depending on the level of customization it could be good, however, having people with obscene banners well.....just would not be cool.

This, indeed.

Noel Bohac
02-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Again can not truly fully comment on this because of a,b,c reasons. BUT ... I can say as a long time gamer and my "Personal Opinion" would be the following...

1. Pre-set different types for each race
2. DLC options as well
3. Customized DLC (probably a higher value cost then other)
a. Customized would be submitted before added to the system.
b. Good ideas for such is having contest for "best design" etc as so many will want their design in game it could get a bit daunting on the developer end and graphic end (remember the more options you add the more that has to load the slower the system goes)

Overall, i would go with a default grouping, then release some new dlc's then from there go with or at the same time hold a contest or something along those lines for community participation to be able to "introduce" their own designs into the game.

You design it, our graphic guys tweak it and add it to the game. Thou again these are "my personal opinions" and in no way reflect those to Reverie World Studios, 505 games or any subsidiarity there in. As part of the team this would be my vote.

As said before and elsewhere, we look at your guys ideas all the time (why wouldn't we?) a good Dev team will always be open for concepts, ideas and implementations there is if it makes sense and is something that would enhance game play. It as you know, comes down to time left etc, however we really want to expand this game beyond launch so hopefully that will come to past. If so, there is sooo much that could be done to enhance this game. Again why I joined the team ;)

Thnx for the kudos BTW you guys, I know I can speak for many of the team members here at Reverie that you get the passion and know that makes a huge difference in a title. Might be our first title, but it's going to be one heck of title to launch the long career of Reverie, I have no doubts about it.

-Noel

edit: note, I am a gamer and don't want nickle and diming going on (IE DLC) , but to me dlc can be done other ways , money transactions, credit in game ( do something epic make points) etc etc, plus dlc keeps a development team going. I see things like flags etc, a very very small dlc, now maps, quests etc, ok that took allot of time and would have a bit more cost to it. So again guys, gamer like you, I don't personally mind dlc, I did all the dlc for dragon age btw ;) and I thought almost all of it was worth it at one point. Some yeah, a bit much , but in the end it was great to get more game. So for me, I am happy we are just having people buy the game and play the MMO version with no cost etc, DLC will just enhance if we go that rout is what I am saying , again PLEASE don't read into something here, this is a gamer perspective not an offical one ;) thnx!

Lee7778747
02-03-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm basically going to say the same thing here as I did in the other forum. Thank you for getting out in the forum and giving us a reply (although no details.....grrrrr) j/k glad you guys are out here in this one I've beta tested games before and the dev's never commented on post or even replied to some of the major issues. Keep doing what your doing and I'll be waiting for the rest of us for this wonderful game.

Roflmao9
02-03-2011, 05:14 PM
I am so excited that Their is Goin to be a game where u make citys and a whole empire in multieplayer and in single player. I wonder if you can make polecies like being all Castro or having no child labor this intltrests me I can't wait for the game :D

blackraven
02-05-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm basically going to say the same thing here as I did in the other forum. Thank you for getting out in the forum and giving us a reply (although no details.....grrrrr) j/k glad you guys are out here in this one I've beta tested games before and the dev's never commented on post or even replied to some of the major issues. Keep doing what your doing and I'll be waiting for the rest of us for this wonderful game.

Yea I've had that happen on many beta tests also. It is nice to see devs out and about on the forums keep it!

Griegor Mcvennor
02-06-2011, 12:28 AM
May I throw my 2 cents in? There is a certain MMO out there that allows user content to be created and added in to the game. SUch a system could be used in this game to create banners and surcoats for units, subject to a voting and approval system provided by the developers. Of course, it would be best if strict limits were placed on the exact design of such things and making sure it stayed fantasy like.

Dracus
02-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Again can not truly fully comment on this because of a,b,c

As said before and elsewhere, we look at your guys ideas all the time (why wouldn't we?) a good Dev team will always be open for concepts, ideas and implementations there is if it makes sense and is something that would enhance game play. It as you know, comes down to time left etc, however we really want to expand this game beyond launch so hopefully that will come to past. If so, there is sooo much that could be done to enhance this game. Again why I joined the team ;)

Thnx for the kudos BTW you guys, I know I can speak for many of the team members here at Reverie that you get the passion and know that makes a huge difference in a title. Might be our first title, but it's going to be one heck of title to launch the long career of Reverie, I have no doubts about it.

-Noel

edit: note, I am a gamer and don't want nickle and diming going on (IE DLC) , but to me dlc can be done other ways , money transactions, credit in game ( do something epic make points) etc etc, plus dlc keeps a development team going. I see things like flags etc, a very very small dlc, now maps, quests etc, ok that took allot of time and would have a bit more cost to it. So again guys, gamer like you, I don't personally mind dlc, I did all the dlc for dragon age btw ;) and I thought almost all of it was worth it at one point. Some yeah, a bit much , but in the end it was great to get more game. So for me, I am happy we are just having people buy the game and play the MMO version with no cost etc, DLC will just enhance if we go that rout is what I am saying , again PLEASE don't read into something here, this is a gamer perspective not an offical one ;) thnx!

I'd like to say that it indeed all comes down to time with the management of projects of this magnitude, and with this said I'd like to ask if DLC would ever be available through the influence resource that I have seen posted by some people. I have always had the idea of having content be gained through ingame achievements or ingame feats as an option to money. With this mindset lets say you are a casual and simply want to catch up or get something cool then you can simply pay. After all some people rather work and get payed then achieve something in a videogame. At anyrate its just an idea I've had for a while.

doomkid98
02-06-2011, 09:04 AM
i really do hope that custom banners will be added because that would make customization so much more fun

Noel Bohac
02-06-2011, 05:21 PM
I'd like to say that it indeed all comes down to time with the management of projects of this magnitude, and with this said I'd like to ask if DLC would ever be available through the influence resource that I have seen posted by some people. I have always had the idea of having content be gained through ingame achievements or ingame feats as an option to money. With this mindset lets say you are a casual and simply want to catch up or get something cool then you can simply pay. After all some people rather work and get payed then achieve something in a videogame. At anyrate its just an idea I've had for a while.

It has been posted offically elshwere but yes there are plans, will it be a firm yes, time will tell again we are working on it as you know, we will have more definites as it gets closer to launch. Alex posted allot of good info on the Fantasy Friday threads, take a look at them closly. ;)

Dracus
02-07-2011, 02:09 AM
Ok I will definitely check out that thread. Thx for the heads up on that thread. ^_^

QuantaDragon
02-09-2011, 07:28 AM
I think custom army banners would be cool, I'd be worried about them getting abused though. I mean have you seen some of the clan tags in Black Ops?

I will have to agree with you, the clan tags in Black Ops gets abused way too much.

GrimbleMcArmon
02-09-2011, 10:54 AM
if you could liek upload an image to be reviewed and if its okay (not a big **** or anything else innapropriate) you could put it on your flags banners shields etc.

nauro
03-14-2011, 03:17 PM
I think it could be cool if they followed in the footsteps of some other games and had some sort of achievement system to create banners. Like give everybody access to all the colors and some simple designs/patterns but as you progress you unlock special emblems/patterns that you can use to kind of show off.

Lee7778747
03-15-2011, 12:14 PM
I could definitly see it as a quest reward or something like that.

Scrapple206
04-04-2011, 01:58 PM
I think this is a great idea it would add some more customization to the game.

willyneo
04-05-2011, 12:06 AM
I would love to be able to have a different symbol for my armies. Probably make the battles look even more epic.