PDA

View Full Version : Army limit

Lee7778747
02-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Is there going to be a limit on how big your army can get?

boondock5aint
02-01-2011, 03:41 PM
havent looked into it yet, but i doubt there wont be a cap on it, at the very least there will be a cap on how much you can command in one travel across the map therefore limiting what you can take into battle with you. but i reckon it will be either be a hard number or whatever you can sustain based on your food resource income

om3n
02-01-2011, 05:03 PM
It kinda brings some interesting questions to the table thinking on a limit. Like total number of deploy-able troops. Is it based on a global total of field-able units, or is it army based. If army based could you siege with multiple armies? If so, is it just your armies or armies of your allies as well. Which in turn brings similar questions on defense if you could have an ally garrison with you if they we warned of an incoming attack for example. I think that's a pretty general question which would be hard for most devs to answer.

Zwilorg
02-01-2011, 07:21 PM
yes i do believe that the limits are the hardest part to estabilish in this type of games...

are there any word out there on limits on resources, troops, etc..?

Lee7778747
02-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Yeah the other question is do you a limit on the total number of troops per siege. I think it should be a limit of total number on siege doesn't matter if it is combining troops for an alliance.

om3n
02-01-2011, 09:12 PM
I wouldnt mind having an answer to that either as the more units means the more system resources. if the servers run for multiple clients pc/console computers could gain an advantage by flooding the screen with units. From what ive read about reverie though reverie i think it'd be safe for me to say they've got it covered. Worse case i suppose we hope for a beta or wait till it's release.

Henry Martin
02-01-2011, 09:33 PM
OK, it's late and I'm going off the top of my head, so bare with me. You basicly have two caps, one is your homecity. Your homecity has a cap to how many battalions/units it can have (you can upgrade it to increase the cap). The second is the world army cap (or the number of armies you can have on the world map). This cap you have a set number of armies you can have on the world map (as far as I know you can't increase this). Now remember that units are grouped into battalions (excluding stuff like siege equipement which is only one unit each), so your world armies can have as many battalioins/units it can hold. So yes there is a limit to how big your army can be.

Now I don't remember the actual numbers of what I suggested. Now if I made a mistake and another dev wants to come add or clear things up, please do. I hope this helps. Also if you are still confused (sorry :)) please ask questions on what you don't understand.

om3n
02-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the answer, i dont know if it answered the first askers question lol, but it answered some of mine. If i could ask, whats the maximum number of fieldable units/battalions for an attacker?

Henry Martin
02-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the answer, i dont know if it answered the first askers question lol, but it answered some of mine. If i could ask, whats the maximum number of fieldable units/battalions for an attacker?

lol, I did, but I should have made it more clear (I edited my post). If you mean when you attack someone castle, etc, then you can only attack someone with one army only (this might change in the future). Now in that army, I don't remember the exact amount or max of units you can battalion/units you can have, but I'd say around 10+ (thats a guess, so don't take it as a fact) battalions/units. Now each battalion is different in size depending on what race you play, like for instance a human battalion has about 16 units per and the elves have less, orcs more.

om3n
02-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks alot for clearing that up for me! :D

y0urself
02-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Just heard about this game, thanks for the info!

Dracus
02-02-2011, 12:15 AM
lol, I did, but I should have made it more clear (I edited my post). If you mean when you attack someone castle, etc, then you can only attack someone with one army only (this might change in the future). Now in that army, I don't remember the exact amount or max of units you can battalion/units you can have, but I'd say around 10+ (thats a guess, so don't take it as a fact) battalions/units. Now each battalion is different in size depending on what race you play, like for instance a human battalion has about 16 units per and the elves have less, orcs more.

Very interesting. Will the caps on armies be the same for both online play and single player. Also will the stats differ in single and multiplayer for balance sake?

Henry Martin
02-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Very interesting. Will the caps on armies be the same for both online play and single player.

Yes, I believe the caps are the same for offline and online.

Also will the stats differ in single and multiplayer for balance sake?

I'm not sure about this one. sorry.

Lee7778747
02-02-2011, 05:12 PM
That does help answer my question but has brought up another on. What is your teaming up with someone and you both are attack say and A.I. Do you both get to have you 10 battalions or do you have to split that as well?

Dracus
02-02-2011, 05:47 PM
That does help answer my question but has brought up another on. What is your teaming up with someone and you both are attack say and A.I. Do you both get to have you 10 battalions or do you have to split that as well?

hmmm interesting question. Yeah how will ganging up on one person be prevented? if even possible.

arthas242
02-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Well i like the idea of ganging up, but why not just have a similar system like AoE where u need house's to build more, aka The larger your empire the larger your army

Lee7778747
02-03-2011, 12:12 AM
well if there is a limit what about the defender? If you have a limit on your army size and your have 2 people attacking with both of there maximum army sizes and the defender could only have one army limit would kind of put him at a disadvantage.

swuopa
02-03-2011, 10:51 AM
well if there is a limit what about the defender? If you have a limit on your army size and your have 2 people attacking with both of there maximum army sizes and the defender could only have one army limit would kind of put him at a disadvantage.

the defender have to call an ally to have support, like the attacker do for attack in 2vs1.

anyway i suppose that a lot of battle will be 2 medium palyers ( i mean medium in army size) vs 1 strong player...

hocus
02-03-2011, 11:22 AM
what about 4 vs 1 or higher then the already stated 2 v 1? wont that start getting a little laggy if there's masses and masses of troops on screen? I like the idea of a unified battle though team work ect. Like someone fielding only seige engines to bring down the walls and someone else fielding only troops for the take over aspect.

ZyndromZ
02-03-2011, 02:23 PM
There must be some cap.. or it would be pretty laggy after awhile and impossible to kill that person.

lamaking65
02-03-2011, 07:53 PM
wouldnt the defense have all their troops in their city defend(their in it) maybe only 10 battlions on the siege wall but after ones gone call in reinforcements from inside the city?

OniKenji
02-03-2011, 08:25 PM
i would guess food would limit things

Lee7778747
02-03-2011, 09:34 PM
well see my other question is like if you any of you watch the lord of the rings movies... I'm talking about the big battle in the return of the king when the infotainments came in from the side mid-battle is something like that going to be possible?

Noel Bohac
02-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Here is a great hint and I can't get introuble for this....

Did you actually see the video on the main page?

:)

oh yeah, almost forgot....

These are "my personal opinions" and in no way reflect those to Reverie World Studios, 505 games or any subsidiarity there in. (Don't bite the hand that feeds you!)

Wolverine80
02-03-2011, 09:49 PM
I would be more interested to know how many thousands troops will be for each battle or siege.For exampe if i have a massive town i can create an army of 10.000 men,10.000 orcs or elves to invade?:)

arthas242
02-03-2011, 09:52 PM
one question though, if u have thousand's of units, won;t there be massive lag with so many?

even on warcraft 3 it lags on good computer's if u play some of the big maps and everyone has hundred's of units

and no my computer rock's and plays most's games high except the one's that are high end machine only game's and like no rts is

Noel Bohac
02-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Would be nice if I could say, but you know I can't , however I can say this much, I have a hard time keeping up with the big battles sometimes :) Hmm should be a pretty good hint huh? Oh, ok , yeah, I am 43, coder, gamer , big time strat player, rpg, turn based, mapper, modder and umm... well a ton more, but ok that's my experiance and again, I have a hard time keeping up :)

You won't be dissapointed :)

This >>>>> These are "my personal opinions" and in no way reflect those to Reverie World Studios, 505 games or any subsidiarity there in. (If I keep typing this I might go blind!)

edit for arthas242: tis all good my friend :) ummm so thats my answer.... read between... well you know ;)

Stormeh
02-04-2011, 12:37 AM
From what I saw in the videos we shouldn't have anything to worry about. Seemed like a decent enough horde.

swuopa
02-04-2011, 03:32 AM
Here is a great hint and I can't get introuble for this....

Did you actually see the video on the main page?

hundreds of time m8... hundreds of time...

(the night i wake up screaming "GIVE ME A KEY!!!")

Maxim167
02-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Guess that if we want to really know everything about this game we just have to wait for official release couse everything can change till that moment . We just have to be patient.

Wolverine80
02-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Yeah it seem balanced

Wolverine80
02-04-2011, 10:18 AM
one question though, if u have thousand's of units, won;t there be massive lag with so many?

even on warcraft 3 it lags on good computer's if u play some of the big maps and everyone has hundred's of units

and no my computer rock's and plays most's games high except the one's that are high end machine only game's and like no rts is

I think they will optimize to run thousands of units to work on must computer, also of few years ago, or otherwise who could run the game? computer of nasa? lol:)