PDA

View Full Version : What is the end game?

Dracus
01-31-2011, 03:57 PM
My question is simple, What is the endgame of this game? What will a hardcore player strive for here?.

Wow has its pve end game raiding, Lineage 2 had its castle sieges (and lawl pve raid bosses). My question is what is the end game here? and do servers have any kind of lame resets like lord of ultima?

Also what sort of protections will the game have for casuals from hardcore? will it make it impossible or just give them a chance?

Nogz
02-01-2011, 06:53 AM
i can choose not to fight but you will have to pay a tribute to the person attacking i think thats how it goes

TriggerHappyNDB
02-01-2011, 07:18 AM
While I don't know what the endgame will look like, Nogz has the right idea on protection of newer or more casual players from the veteran or hardcore crowds. When one player of equal skill challenges another to a battle, either in open terrain or by attacking their stronghold, the defender can choose to opt out. To do so, however, requires a tribute of resources to the attacker. When a stronger player attempts to attack a weaker player, however, that tribute is reduced--even removed altogether--if the weaker player decides not to engage them. This is a diminishing returns mechanism in place to prevent bullying and harassment of lower level players.

Keep in mind that a weaker player may choose to engage a stronger player also and that winning such a match would yield plenty of resources for him. But clearly this isn't a terribly good strategy on the little guy's part ;).

szebus
02-01-2011, 07:48 AM
I think these are the things that are interest You the most:

Quote from Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696)

Q: How does PvP work if all maps are instanced?
A: The attacking player(s) will set up an army camp outside of an enemy stronghold within that stronghold's instanced map. However, there will still be plenty of room to explore before battle and an environment you can interact with - including healing springs. You will then be able to take your army and attack the enemy stronghold, just as you would in a Skirmish match.

There are also field battles that can be done for a quick-paced and even battle between two or more equally-ranked players. To engage in a field battle, players must send an army to one of the many regions on the map and search for a battle. The game server will then find you another nearby player of your same rank that you can wage war on.

Q: Can you opt out of a fight?
A: Yes, but it costs resources. If you opt out, the attacking player cannot challenge you again for a predetermined amount of time.

Q: Can my stronghold be attacked when I'm offline?
A: No, your stronghold will remain untouched.

Q: What happens if a player leaves or signs out in the middle of a skirmish?
A: It will be counted as a resignation, and that player will be forced to pay tribute to his or her attackers.

Q: What happens once you conquer a NPC or another player's stronghold?
A: The stronghold will revert back to the defender; however, you will be able to loot conquered strongholds for lots of resources.

boondock5aint
02-01-2011, 09:44 AM
I recon (but still a guess) that it will be mainly around pvp and the "capital" NPC towns that are substantial and will require a decent team effort to conquer. While kitting out your battalions with all the best kit to make them that bit more lethal.

That would be my educated guess, could be totally wrong though

Superman0X
02-01-2011, 12:47 PM
I am less concerned about the end game, as how long it takes to get there. Do we have any idea how long it takes to max out?

Lee7778747
02-01-2011, 02:08 PM
my guess is it will take a while I doubt they are going to let you get to end game that fast or it would kind of ruin the game.

Zwilorg
02-01-2011, 06:26 PM
this game has a pretty good set of rules already on

just want to see if with an huge amount of players it will hold!

i hope it will ;)

Dracus
02-01-2011, 11:20 PM
I think these are the things that are interest You the most:

Quote from Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696)

Q: How does PvP work if all maps are instanced?
A: The attacking player(s) will set up an army camp outside of an enemy stronghold within that stronghold's instanced map. However, there will still be plenty of room to explore before battle and an environment you can interact with - including healing springs. You will then be able to take your army and attack the enemy stronghold, just as you would in a Skirmish match.

There are also field battles that can be done for a quick-paced and even battle between two or more equally-ranked players. To engage in a field battle, players must send an army to one of the many regions on the map and search for a battle. The game server will then find you another nearby player of your same rank that you can wage war on.

Q: Can you opt out of a fight?
A: Yes, but it costs resources. If you opt out, the attacking player cannot challenge you again for a predetermined amount of time.

Q: Can my stronghold be attacked when I'm offline?
A: No, your stronghold will remain untouched.

Q: What happens if a player leaves or signs out in the middle of a skirmish?
A: It will be counted as a resignation, and that player will be forced to pay tribute to his or her attackers.

Q: What happens once you conquer a NPC or another player's stronghold?
A: The stronghold will revert back to the defender; however, you will be able to loot conquered strongholds for lots of resources.

Thank you, this does answer most of my questions. In other words the pvp is the endgame. That is definitely exciting since I play a pve mmo mostly right now. However does this mean that "Influence" and high ranking on the pvp ladders is the endgame?

Rhino
02-01-2011, 11:52 PM
theres not really an endgame as the game will be risk style in singleplayer and then multiplayer is never ending...

Pyrasia
02-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Usually the end game for this type of game is simply just -- world domination xD

acekaze
02-02-2011, 02:57 AM
I think the end game of this game, really goes about how powerfull you are, and how much control you have, isnt that what humans fight for ? Power, control, and money :P

Korpze777
02-02-2011, 06:22 AM
I am concerned tho i am a hardcore player and if there is now way to gain control of new lands or to dominate the game if you are good enough such as in evony what would be the point.Just having a castle that can never be took over is kind of to easy and "casual".Maybe there will be a hardcore mode or server type where the point is to take over the whole world.Wouldnt be short thats for sure especially having to manage so many castles and after the season or after the world has been taken over reset it maybe.That way there would be a end game still.Either eay im sure i will love this game and we will just have to wait and see how the end game stuff works.As always ty for making such an awesome game keep up the good work.

master0p
02-02-2011, 06:58 AM
I am concerned tho i am a hardcore player and if there is now way to gain control of new lands or to dominate the game if you are good enough such as in evony what would be the point.Just having a castle that can never be took over is kind of to easy and "casual".Maybe there will be a hardcore mode or server type where the point is to take over the whole world.Wouldnt be short thats for sure especially having to manage so many castles and after the season or after the world has been taken over reset it maybe.That way there would be a end game still.Either eay im sure i will love this game and we will just have to wait and see how the end game stuff works.As always ty for making such an awesome game keep up the good work.

yeah i understand where your coming from.
I have alot of things to say and whats on my mind.
But i can't have really a say in this matter since i never have played it before.
I would be ****ed tho if someone attacked my castle and take all my resources + destroying my armies.

In addition i think "offline can't be attacked" is to much for a safeguard..
It would be good to implent that and put a timer on it for 2 weeks..
After that if you go offline you just need to put alot of soldiers to defend your castle if its dear to you. And the AI will take over( no lame AI tho).

Dracus
02-02-2011, 11:08 AM
yeah i understand where your coming from.
I have alot of things to say and whats on my mind.
But i can't have really a say in this matter since i never have played it before.
I would be ****ed tho if someone attacked my castle and take all my resources + destroying my armies.

In addition i think "offline can't be attacked" is to much for a safeguard..
It would be good to implent that and put a timer on it for 2 weeks..
After that if you go offline you just need to put alot of soldiers to defend your castle if its dear to you. And the AI will take over( no lame AI tho).

Patience. Is all I can tell you. If we get selected for the open beta at the end of February we might be able to see how hardcore we can be in this game.^_^

Raulaun
02-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Well, the concept of guild-controlled objectives and guild cities has been thrown around. This sounds like a great endgame, defending a massive castle with a bunch of other players, or fighting for control over CTF-style landmarks, like, for example a large statue is propped up in someones city, well, knock it down, put it on a wagon and take it to your city to give morale/income/other bonuses!

Dracus
02-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Well, the concept of guild-controlled objectives and guild cities has been thrown around. This sounds like a great endgame, defending a massive castle with a bunch of other players, or fighting for control over CTF-style landmarks, like, for example a large statue is propped up in someones city, well, knock it down, put it on a wagon and take it to your city to give morale/income/other bonuses!

I agree with this however what will they attack or defend? will there be an NPC capitol city for a region that if controlled by a guild they gain specific benefits, and if so what determines who captures it and how will schedules work for sieging this capitol city? I mean there are I believe still gaps on what exactly is the end game guild based (obviously since mmo's are usually about multiplayer end game not solo play).

Raulaun
02-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Well the idea of a guild based city would be a large city in which many players defend, and many players can siege at once. Guild cities should be capturable in my opinion, or atleast able to be heavily destroyed to change the balance of power.

Dracus
02-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Well the idea of a guild based city would be a large city in which many players defend, and many players can siege at once. Guild cities should be capturable in my opinion, or atleast able to be heavily destroyed to change the balance of power.

Raulaun if the end game were this. I would definitely go insane hardcore with this game ^_^. The gameplay looks awesome and if the end game is enticing I think this is gonna be the formula of "win". :P

arthas242
02-02-2011, 05:27 PM
how do u get end game in a RTS exactly though? i mean there are NPC's to kill so i guess maybe access to cool visual stuff? also will there be any special unit's like 1 hero/leader per person i guess that really isn't much stronger but just looks cool and has a aura, that might be one wya to add a end game per say in that you get a better hero

Dracus
02-02-2011, 05:29 PM
how do u get end game in a RTS exactly though? i mean there are NPC's to kill so i guess maybe access to cool visual stuff? also will there be any special unit's like 1 hero/leader per person i guess that really isn't much stronger but just looks cool and has a aura, that might be one wya to add a end game per say in that you get a better hero

Tbh in RTS most of the end game will have to be pvp based. I do not see any viable pve area besides farming npcs for levels. In the end RTS comes down mostly to the pvp and pve is mostly a single player campaign.

Arthas it was stated before that the single player campaign will contain what I believe to be most of the lore and your cinematicas and what not. The online play however I believe will be mostly pvp whether it be 1v1 2v2 3v3 XvX up to G vs G.

NobleIre
02-02-2011, 07:24 PM
This seems, to me, to be an odd question. What RTS multiplayer has an end-game? You play to fight other people, and you continue to fight with those people until you get tired of doing so. The only way to have an end-game 'win' is if they reset the servers periodically, and I get annoyed by games that do that.

arthas242
02-02-2011, 09:14 PM
that was kind of my point, the closest thing u can get to end game in a rts is a hero unit/visual's rewards, besides that there is no real way i can think of or have seen

nauro
02-03-2011, 11:36 AM
I would imagine expansions/dlc to keep things fresh for "end game"

fatedragon
02-03-2011, 12:51 PM
think that my end with this game will be a good clan leader and get many power with the clan and work good together :p

ZyndromZ
02-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Well, there is end game in RTS games to. Especially in this one, i mean your castle will not stay forever probably, someone will win over you and ruin the whole **** for you one day.