PDA

View Full Version : Are there naval units?

Zenidiller
01-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Are there naval units, And if so are they going to have a classic control system like AOE or WC2?

LiTos456
01-31-2011, 11:13 AM
There are naval units in the game, yeah, although we don't know much about them yet. :)

GPS51
01-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Except that the elves have the coolest naval units ever..beyond that, not much is known.

BassZ1890
01-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Guh Ima stay main land if I can. I'd rather not be attackable by land AND sea. But then again what would be the benifit of opting for a navy... hmmm. Anyone know the major pro's/con's?

Dracus
01-31-2011, 04:40 PM
With naval units in mind. Will we be able to choose our starting location in order to lets say avoid naval warefare at the beginning? Also, how will the worlds mesh together with lets say an orc kingdom from my friend with no real body of water near it and lets say I'm playing human and have a coastal city?

Keltic
02-01-2011, 12:17 AM
So one could possibly be a pirate?

Nogz
02-01-2011, 07:49 AM
yes you could be a pirate i plan on being one :)

szebus
02-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Hope it helps :D

quote from F.A.Q. (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696)

Q: How will ships and naval warfare work?

A: Ships can be purchased from Harbour Master NPCs in any of the coastal towns. Each race has several unique ships that they can load with units, siege weapons, livestock, and resources and travel the seas in search of trade or PvP warfare and to gain access to the island towns. Naval Warfare will come down to what units you have in your fleet. Archers and ranged siege weapons will be able to fire at other fleets and your melee units can board enemy ships to carry out the fight. Select naval units, such as the Elven Kraken, will be able to fight but not transport units or goods.

NobleIre
02-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Awesome, i'm glad to see the inclusion of naval units. I'm sure there will be some economic and tactical benefits to having coastal territories and ships.

Pyrasia
02-01-2011, 01:29 PM
If some will be Pirates, then I shall be Privateer xD

Alex Walz
02-01-2011, 03:44 PM
More information on navies will be revealed soon, but they will have a fairly limited role as far as the shipped game goes. They will likely be enhanced with a DLC pack.

Froody42
02-01-2011, 05:20 PM
In most RTS I've played, naval warfare was one of the lamest aspects of gameplay, so I won't miss it too much if its not important. But I think in DoF, there could be lots of potential for it if you actually have stuff like men on deck firing at nearby ships and boarding battles, so I'm looking forward to that DLC :)

om3n
02-01-2011, 05:28 PM
I think they offer strength and merit of some kind in a game like this. In the short term they could offer faster means of travel for a neighbor you wish to attack. In the long run they could offer things like new factions and kingdoms on tropical islands or even a form of integrating NPC's(PVE) more so into the mix by having to travel out and siege them etc.

acekaze
02-02-2011, 04:02 AM
Yay naval units

Smikis
02-02-2011, 10:06 AM
i suppose, aditional trade, fishing , faster traveling, options for different attacks ( against you too ) if you are close to water , personally not much of navy guy, but sometimes i enjoy it too, we will see

swuopa
02-03-2011, 11:23 AM
are there isle on the map? maybe need naval unit to move army on the isle.

hocus
02-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Naval trading ftw and yeah i agree with some of the earlier posts acctually being able to view combat and have some impact on the course of battle would be cool as I too have seen many games where its a lost aspect.

lamaking65
02-03-2011, 08:02 PM
would seige weapons in one ship slow it down compared to others,or do unit and their weight not matter^^

Adonai_80
02-03-2011, 08:25 PM
I was stoked to see the naval ships in the trailer! I was hoping they'd put that in there!

arthas242
02-03-2011, 10:23 PM
now can we have boarding parties and raming ships? a good orc army needs to ram ships!

Thaiden
02-04-2011, 04:35 AM
I am very happy to see the inclusion of Navy battles. Will everyone have access to land and sea, or will you have to construct your city at a specific location on the map?

Details would be awesome!

Mokhir
02-05-2011, 12:16 PM
the Elven ships: http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1558

Human and Orc ships: http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1692

Dreadnought
02-05-2011, 12:27 PM
interesting... will the initial choice of home city restrict your ability to later choose to trade or move armies or build a navy? I assume you would need a port? Or could you capture a AI port and trade from there?

KingofPain
02-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Naval units would be cool, but I don't want them to have gun power.;) Well actually I don't really mind much. Just as long as there are naval units.

Noel Bohac
02-06-2011, 05:39 PM
More information on navies will be revealed soon, but they will have a fairly limited role as far as the shipped game goes. They will likely be enhanced with a DLC pack.

This (and I am glad Alex posted about this) , as a fan of the game as yourselves and part of the team. This is spoken about allot. So as Alex said , we want to grow this part if possible in the future as well. Like you guys/ladies, we have a ton of things we would love to see ;) I just wanted to chime in here, as most of you , I believe a good addition to water units enhances a game such as this allot. So keep your eyes out for news of this feature and trust me here, many more features in the future!

tribute
02-11-2011, 04:35 PM
i hope so, it would make things more interesting

elielikesnow@hotmail.com
02-12-2011, 09:53 PM
I honestly can't imagine a system different from that of Age of Empires for the Naval units but that doesn't stop innovation from happening now does it?

mblade
02-13-2011, 02:52 PM
I honestly can't imagine a system different from that of Age of Empires for the Naval units but that doesn't stop innovation from happening now does it?

How About Empire total war navy system ?

canibauz
02-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Really nice to hear they have navel system in the game. I mean to really have a war like is being spoken of it would not make sense not to have them. Nice job :D

Kaiserjoe
02-16-2011, 07:54 PM
I came in the thread expecting to see a "No there aren't", but apparently there are. O.o Shows how little I know about the game so far :P. That's seriously awesome that it's in there, I'm more of a land battle kinda guy but it'll be a really nice way to freshen up game play and add more to the game.

acepilot23
02-16-2011, 09:25 PM
I'd like to know if there are naval to land battles. Like a naval fleet attacking a rival country's shore with galleons protecting the transports from the land units onshore. I have yet to see a rts incorporate this kind of thing. Most games have naval battles, (Total War Series,) but they dont include land battles or use an automation system.

swou
02-18-2011, 05:50 PM
How would you be able to conquer the enemy city if you are fighting a naval war...?

Lord Shadow
02-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Now what I want to know is if any of the castle sites we can use are located on islands.. It would be awesome to have like a pirates den kinda deal

Tolbby
02-19-2011, 11:25 PM
How? Controlling the sea gives a HUGE advantage. Don't forget many trading cities will probably be located along a shoreline, allowing them to also make trade with nations across the sea. I'm sure they will also allow many units to be carried across the sea, allowing for more strategic movement on the attackers part. Of course, if a city is locate in the middle of nothing but tons of land, then none of this matters.

Also note, depending on how the game mechanics work, the requirement of water might be involved. This of course means many cities will have some sort of water running through, or by them.

GPS51
02-19-2011, 11:33 PM
There's already a pirates den in DoF! Check the archived media releases~ minor NPC towns edition.

Lord Shadow
02-20-2011, 12:42 AM
There's already a pirates den in DoF! Check the archived media releases~ minor NPC towns edition.

Great.. They stole my idea.. :mad: ..Next your gonna tell me ships need water to float.. JK :D