PDA

View Full Version : Random Screenshot

Konstantin Fomenko
04-01-2008, 02:15 PM
With all the focus on MMORTS showcase we haven`t posted any gameplay screenshots lately. Here`s a couple.

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/RND2/1.jpg

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/RND2/2.jpg

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/RND2/3.jpg

Jean=A=Luc
04-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Omg ships! :) I really can't wait to try DoF's naval combat, I'm really tired of ships being treated like generic units.

Redzone
04-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Looks like there is some boarding action too. I imagine one to the lands mentioned is probably made up of mostly islands.

Darvin
04-01-2008, 04:55 PM
I like what I see ^_^

jap88
04-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Reminds me of AoK's "Raiding Party!" taunt...except it would be boarding party. :p

The Witch King of Angmar
04-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Wow, simply amazing. I've been waiting to see naval screens for a while now. I must say the water effects look great.

Lepakko
04-01-2008, 08:32 PM
I think Dragon might have fun time with ships at sea. Snack boats.

Jean=A=Luc
04-02-2008, 12:02 AM
I think Dragon might have fun time with ships at sea. Snack boats.

Eat ballista javelin (harpoon?) ya big flyin' lizard...hopefully. :p

Konstantin Fomenko
04-02-2008, 07:57 AM
I must say the water effects look great

Yeah, our water visuals is more up to the current standars. Hopefuly by the time we hit beta you`ll be able to say same about terrain:)

And to reveal more about our navy approach - if any of you guys plays Rise and Fall, this is exactly what you can expect. Boarding action, capturing ships, and placing all kinds of units on your ships deck.

Darvin
04-02-2008, 09:28 AM
I notice a unit portrait in the lower left of the final screenshot. I find the solid black background to be a bit empty. It might be a good idea to add a static environment in the background of that portrait, perhaps based on the subrace of the player?

Jean=A=Luc
04-02-2008, 02:27 PM
I notice a unit portrait in the lower left of the final screenshot. I find the solid black background to be a bit empty. It might be a good idea to add a static environment in the background of that portrait, perhaps based on the subrace of the player?

It's just an early screenshot, notice the minimap is empty too.

Sharku
04-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Wonderful, naval combat is probably what I'm looking forward to the most in DoF since B4ME2's system was a real let down.

The Witch King of Angmar
04-03-2008, 04:07 PM

Yeah or maybe like an animated thing of some sort. Or maybe it could just display what map your on or your stats with a backround.

Puppeteer
04-04-2008, 11:22 AM
One suggestion; on the compass, maybe make the letters of the Poles N S E W gold embossed? That would look better :)

Tbeaz161
04-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Are those people boarding I see? could those be passengers of a sunk ship swiming for safety? what they are actually on the ship not just being transported? Ship captureing? I think i'm in virtual love

The Witch King of Angmar
04-14-2008, 01:47 PM
There is swimming implemented in the game. I'm not sure about the ship capturing but I'd love to see it.

Jean=A=Luc
04-14-2008, 04:05 PM
I think they said they gave up on swimming back in that topic I made when I first joined here.

Tbeaz161
04-14-2008, 04:11 PM
if they have given up on it they should take swiming off there features on the main page.

Konstantin Fomenko
04-14-2008, 08:15 PM
To answer some of your questions:

Yes, ship combat is all about ship boarding and your units fighting it out, with the victor capturing the ship - Rise and Fall style.

But, not to say that something stops player packing the ship with catapults and fire-arrow archers for more traditional ship-to-ship combat, or ship-to-land assaults.

Yes, we did gave up on regular units swimming as a special ability, well not completely, but it`s unlikely we’ll give this ability to all of our units.

And on these screens these are dead bodies “swimming”, they remain in water, as well as some props after the ship is sunk.

Darvin
04-14-2008, 10:00 PM
While I'd imagine archers will be unaffected by ship combat, how will siege weapons operate while on a boat? Will only certain types of boats be able to support them?

Konstantin Fomenko
04-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Our approach to naval combat - let player do whatever they want with ships. Task any units on the ship and they`ll board it - as many as will fit. Any units other than Dragons and Ogres. Note that really packing the ship with units will slow it down.

Some interesting ideas:

-Get a trebuchet, some archers, and melee units for well rounded all uprpose ship.
-Pack it up only with melee units for a great boarding ship, if your looking to capture some enemy ships.
-Only archers for a great ship-killing vessel.
-Put only a few units on the ship, to get a really fast moving scouting vessel.
-Pack ship with only trebuchets and catapults - to get yourself something like AoE3 bombard galion:)
-Or even pack the ship full of cows and peasants, and make a floating farm:)

Here`s a screenshot of a ship I packed with 15 archers, 20 swordsman, 1 trebuchet, a hero, and a few cows for good eating later, 'where`s the rum?'

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/RND2/5.jpg

Darvin
04-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Or even pack the ship full of cows and peasants, and make a floating farm

I somehow have trouble picturing that :-P

Couldn't you make that somewhat less illogical by just implementing fishing for peasants on boats?

Also, you didn't answer my question specifically with regards to the performance of siege units placed boats. How will a catapult or trebuchet operate differently on a boat than they otherwise would have on land? Can they fire while the boat is in motion? Will they have the same range/rate of fire? Will there be some kind of ammunition limitation for these weapons?

Ovocean
04-15-2008, 02:01 AM
All of this information sounds extremely pleasantly to my ears !

Do we still control individual units movements and actions aboard ? And how do they pass from one ship to the other when a boarding takes place ?

PS : Sweet, there's water refraction !

Jean=A=Luc
04-15-2008, 06:19 AM
Nice screenshot. :)

Konstantin, will there be ramming ? Maybe that's something the low-tech Orcs would resort to.

Konstantin Fomenko
04-15-2008, 09:04 AM
I am afraid that`s a No to ships ramming each other.

As for Siege weapons on ships - same as on land. This goes for any other units - they can all be individually selected and tasked. When u control the ship full of untis it`s quite simple really - click anywhere on the ship to select it - the sails, the body of the ship e.t.c, or click on any individual unit on the ship to select it - or use drag and select for select some/all units on the ship.

With regard to Ranged siege having limited ammunition - we are actually toying with this idea, most likely Catapults, Trebuchets will only fire if player has sufficient Stone resource. But things can still go 50/50 on this.

Ovocean
04-15-2008, 09:49 AM
This will so much add to the pleasure of naval combat. Possibility to defend against multiple ennemy ships, and all the strategies already mentionned, with the liberty of the crew composition, it sounds really good!

I hope there's some "camera follow ship" functionality, otherwise I imagine it could be problematic to select and give orders to units. "This guy, I'll send him to the deck where he'll be more useful... Oops, missed it... Come on, I'll catch you dude.. hey not here you fool!! Man overboard!"

Will the spell casters be of any use aboard ?

Darvin
04-15-2008, 11:24 AM
I think it might be prudent to look into providing some limitations for siege weapons on boats (like perhaps it can only fire when the boat is not moving).

Because a siege equipped boat can move while firing, it gives it a distinct advantage in a situation regarding a coastal exchange of firepower. The land-based catapult is essentially stationary, while the sea-based one is moving freely. Essentially the only counter is to come out and attack either with an archer-equipped boat or a boarding party.

The problem I see here is the woefully common instance where a player has had his navy wiped out and needs to re-establish it. However, if "bombard" type boats are too strong he cannot get close enough to the water for any prolonged period of time to build that navy, and is essentially pinned down. Typically, as a result, land-based siege is always made to be a counter to sea-based siege. This means that in any long-range shootout, the land-based player is at an advantage, forcing the sea-based player to make a landing to prevent him from rebuilding his navy.

I do not feel that would work out if sea-based siege units have the same firepower as land-based units, but also have the advantage of mobility. Some form of limitation is necessary here, I believe. However, so long as the above problem is dealt with in some manner, I'm happy.

The Witch King of Angmar
04-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Maybe sea based siege could have a weaker fire power.

LordSlayer
04-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Can any one please explain what are the bows and the mace icons in the upper left corner of the last sreen?

WearisomeWall
04-16-2008, 03:41 PM
I would guess hotkeyed units.

Feweh
04-16-2008, 05:46 PM
I think it might be prudent to look into providing some limitations for siege weapons on boats (like perhaps it can only fire when the boat is not moving).

Because a siege equipped boat can move while firing, it gives it a distinct advantage in a situation regarding a coastal exchange of firepower. The land-based catapult is essentially stationary, while the sea-based one is moving freely. Essentially the only counter is to come out and attack either with an archer-equipped boat or a boarding party.

The problem I see here is the woefully common instance where a player has had his navy wiped out and needs to re-establish it. However, if "bombard" type boats are too strong he cannot get close enough to the water for any prolonged period of time to build that navy, and is essentially pinned down. Typically, as a result, land-based siege is always made to be a counter to sea-based siege. This means that in any long-range shootout, the land-based player is at an advantage, forcing the sea-based player to make a landing to prevent him from rebuilding his navy.

I do not feel that would work out if sea-based siege units have the same firepower as land-based units, but also have the advantage of mobility. Some form of limitation is necessary here, I believe. However, so long as the above problem is dealt with in some manner, I'm happy.

I totally agree, i don't want the NAVY ships coming with about 20 trebuchet ships and just pounding my city, they need to be accurate abit and less fast i suppose.?

But you make a strong strong point here.

Darvin
04-16-2008, 06:53 PM
An easy solution may be to assert that a ship must be stationary for a certain amount of time before and after firing a siege-type weapon. The amount of time could vary based on the weapon. This would still give siege-equipped boats a VERY potent harass potential (come in, get out a few shots, then get the hell out of there) but it would keep them from having too strong of an impact in a direct assault.

The Witch King of Angmar
04-16-2008, 07:01 PM
An easy solution may be to assert that a ship must be stationary for a certain amount of time before and after firing a siege-type weapon. The amount of time could vary based on the weapon. This would still give siege-equipped boats a VERY potent harass potential (come in, get out a few shots, then get the hell out of there) but it would keep them from having too strong of an impact in a direct assault.

Maybe it could be like in AoE2 where they had to unpack/setup the catapults so that they can attack. You could try to implement this in the siege navy.

Puppeteer
04-17-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm sure the trebuchets would in any case be too big for an average agile ship, so any ships with a mounted trebuchet either would be slow, cumbersome and heavy or non-existant at all. Trebuchets were large siege machines that couldn't budge unless packed up, and so if there are ships with trebuchets on they would be fixed but on some sort of swivel.

Darvin
04-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Actually, most trebuchets were so large they couldn't be packed up at all. They were built on sight and abandoned afterwards.

Puppeteer
04-18-2008, 10:16 AM
or used wagons to transport...

LordSlayer
04-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Actually, most trebuchets were so large they couldn't be packed up at all. They were built on sight and abandoned afterwards.

Wouldn't that be stupid if your siege failed and you had to fall back?

The Witch King of Angmar
04-19-2008, 07:13 PM
I'd actually think it'd be cool because it offers a twist to the attacker's plans.

Puppeteer
04-20-2008, 01:56 PM
If it failed I doubt salvaging the wood would be the least of their worries...

LordSlayer
04-21-2008, 05:58 PM
If it failed I doubt salvaging the wood would be the least of their worries...

Yes but the winners would now have all of your siege weapons plus theirs for a counter offensive.

frankein_fish
04-22-2008, 12:29 AM
That's how real war works, But you should implent a "burn everything in ur wake ability" (Dont really know the word in english) to be able to reatret without being harrased

Axal01
04-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Yeah, our water visuals is more up to the current standars. Hopefuly by the time we hit beta you`ll be able to say same about terrain:)

And to reveal more about our navy approach - if any of you guys plays Rise and Fall, this is exactly what you can expect. Boarding action, capturing ships, and placing all kinds of units on your ships deck.

Wow...amazing!

Puppeteer
04-22-2008, 10:01 AM
You sabotage your ropes and break beams before leaving.
It's not like a camp, you don't allow the attacker to pack up and leave pronto. You either chase after them in a counter offensive or just make sure they leave ASAP. Lumbering siege machines home is hardly the quickest way to retreat.
I wonder if you can salt fields...

LordSlayer
04-23-2008, 05:17 PM
I wonder if you can salt fields...

And maybe burn their forests while you're at it!
That would be so mean :D

Neotyguy40
04-23-2008, 06:40 PM
And maybe burn their forests while you're at it!
That would be so mean :D

Burn the forest? Might as well make your city wrap around theres and then squash them...

LordSlayer
04-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Burn the forest? Might as well make your city wrap around theres and then squash them...

That would be interesting, but highly improbable :cool:

Neotyguy40
04-24-2008, 10:35 PM
That would be interesting, but highly improbable :cool:

Improbable? Are you crazy! It's very easy, you just make a few cities around the player, and then connect them...

Puppeteer
04-25-2008, 12:41 PM
With what? Dental floss? lol I see your point, I still like the idea of if you retreat you can spend a bit of time salting fields for a small price. But, we don't know if said fields are used at all!

Neotyguy40
04-25-2008, 02:27 PM
With what? Dental floss? lol I see your point, I still like the idea of if you retreat you can spend a bit of time salting fields for a small price. But, we don't know if said fields are used at all!

We don't know much about this game at all if you think about it...

The Witch King of Angmar
04-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Thats kind of what I like about it so when it's released we can delve right into everything.

Neotyguy40
04-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Thats kind of what I like about it so when it's released we can delve right into everything.

That's why I like the dragon race, they release so little info on it.

LordSlayer
04-26-2008, 05:45 AM
That's why I like the dragon race, they release so little info on it.

They keep us drooling for more!

Neotyguy40
04-26-2008, 11:37 PM
They keep us drooling for more!

Ok, I want dragons as much as the next guy but... ewww

Puppeteer
04-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Agreed. That's obsession at its best (or worst, depending on how you view it)

Esculas the Mighty
05-20-2008, 07:29 PM
woot i wanna see some elven ships

wou129
05-20-2008, 11:31 PM
i jost want to sea a ship of the game dosnt mate what fection

Puppeteer
05-21-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm looking forward to this floating farm... the Alan Titchmarsh in me is crying out!

frankein_fish
05-21-2008, 12:40 PM
the Alan Titchmarsh in me is crying out!

o.O Nah id like to see some naval combat:eek:
Fire arrows everywhere some Trebuchet rocks flying trough the air and chewing up a boat to toohtpick's.
That is what i wanna see :p

Puppeteer
05-21-2008, 12:45 PM
AOE3 did Naval combat just right in that aspect... where you hit you made damage. Frequently the enemy fled with boats with no mast! :D

frankein_fish
05-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Yep. That kind of physics is what i wanna see :cool:
(Especially on soldiers when they get hit by a catapult rock):eek:

wou129
05-22-2008, 11:47 AM
u realy like gore dont u

Neotyguy40
05-22-2008, 12:57 PM
u realy like gore dont u

How do you suppose that?

wou129
05-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Yep. That kind of physics is what i wanna see :cool:
(Especially on soldiers when they get hit by a catapult rock):eek:

out of this i say u reali like gore dont u

frankein_fish
05-23-2008, 07:56 AM
I've played too much warhammer :p
On the other hand WARHAMMER ROCKS. "All who oppose us shall be perishd"
Space marines FTW
And for the Imperial Guards men freaks: "Fear insures loyalty" (A commisar's replica)
Maybe another IG replic? "Someone called for an earthshaka"
First one that knows who says it will get a free non aggresive pakt with me
In-game :p:D (When it's realesed)

Puppeteer
05-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Bah. I only liked Warhammer because I loved painting and making the Lizardmen models. Sigh, my Krox-gar and Slann were fun painting. True though, I could never field the Slann (no Temple Guard :( too expensive).
Anyway, I don't see gore being a priority. Though being ripped apart by a magic spell would be nice :D

frankein_fish
05-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Though being ripped apart by a magic spell would be nice :D

That's what im talking about!!!!
And not just by magic, imagine what a ballista arrow would do to an unprotected little Goblin (Incredible evil laugh)

Esculas the Mighty
05-23-2008, 04:43 PM
ohhh i hope its goes thru half-way makes the goblins flies thru the air then the spear would hit the gound with the goblin still slideing down the spear

wou129
05-24-2008, 01:26 AM
lol u guys realy like gore realy!!!!!!!

LordSlayer
05-24-2008, 07:39 AM
ohhh i hope its goes thru half-way makes the goblins flies thru the air then the spear would hit the gound with the goblin still slideing down the spear

Should go all the way through the first and second and do that to the thid one in line :D

Puppeteer
05-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Some kind of spell which is called HellFire that rips someone to shreds with a small internal dark fire would be awesome.

Esculas the Mighty
05-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Should go all the way through the first and second and do that to the thid one in line :D

yes i like that
seems more :eek:
for my enemy

frankein_fish
05-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Meteor rain :eek: :eek: Mwhahaha
Well seriously now for a change :D
i simply love gore since it showes how powerful ur attacks are when a troll splits in half and land on a couple of orc's :p
(BTW will there be blood effects on units?
Like when an orc hits a Human they both get blood spatter on them?)

Esculas the Mighty
05-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Meteor rain :eek: :eek: Mwhahaha
Well seriously now for a change :D
i simply love gore since it showes how powerful ur attacks are when a troll splits in half and land on a couple of orc's :p
(BTW will there be blood effects on units?
Like when an orc hits a Human they both get blood spatter on them?)

yes thats why gore is great

for example everyone knows that cannons didnt just make units fly in the air
but the cannon balls would rip thru flesh
heads will fly off
arms,legs, or even rigth thru the stomach and maybe the unmentionables of the guy behind him

frankein_fish
05-24-2008, 01:33 PM
unmentionables of the guy behind him

ouch that gotta hurt!
altough they will probably dont have cannons in DoF but trebuchet's and ballistas can do quite some damage too :p
I wonder how the guts of a dragon looks :rolleyes:

Esculas the Mighty
05-24-2008, 02:11 PM
ill be finding out soon ;)

some dragon player is prb gonna send 1 big dragon thinking he gonna eat up my citizens

and immediantly get shot down

Generation
05-24-2008, 05:45 PM
u do need gore in a game

frankein_fish
05-25-2008, 12:34 AM
ill be finding out soon ;)

hehe, was thinking the same thing :D

Esculas the Mighty
05-25-2008, 09:23 AM
im dieing for more elven pics or are u keeping it under wraps?

Jean=A=Luc
05-25-2008, 10:16 AM
u do need Al Gore in a game

Completely agree. I also suggest Reverie rename DoF into "An Inconvenient Game"

olauwers
05-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Completely agree. I also suggest Reverie rename DoF into "An Inconvenient Game"

They must then be sure not to forget to use 20 times as much Gore as any regular player, whilst holding conventions about how using Gore is bad for the people around you.

Esculas the Mighty
05-25-2008, 01:49 PM
if u don't like it simply turn it off

Puppeteer
05-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Nice, Jean... nice
Come on magyck!

Generation
05-25-2008, 04:33 PM
if we're going to talk about gore then we should make a thread for it

Esculas the Mighty
05-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Nice, Jean... nice
Come on magyck!

hmmmm.. agreed

nickson104
07-13-2008, 04:47 AM
These naval forces and battles look to be amazing... but if you can have a siege ship that shoots while in motion shouldnt it suffer from lack of accurcay? due to the constant movement...

Can you build ballistas into ships? *pictures a dragon being shot out of air by mounted ballista*

And do ships come in a variety of sizes? or is it a single size? for example small vessels as scouts or boarding parties and huge vessels for war ships

I like the idea of a mobile farm... no fear of having your production anhialated

And yeah the graphics are looking amazing :)

Puppeteer
07-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Imagine a Dragon rearing up, slowing coming out of his naval base. Then shot by 5 ballista bolts, and tumbles back down crushing the town and its inhabitants.

nickson104
07-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Imagine a Dragon rearing up, slowing coming out of his naval base. Then shot by 5 ballista bolts, and tumbles back down crushing the town and its inhabitants.
ahhaha my image is shared :) also the dragon swooping in to destroy the boat and shot out of the air by a single well aimed ballistae to the heart :)