PDA

View Full Version : EVE Online

Dalkor
01-27-2011, 11:02 AM
I must admit, I was quite surprised to learn that an eve online thread hadn't been made. And with all the wonderful new patches that have been released recently, I was curious to see who else played and what they are thinking of the game and it's direction.

Also, what is your role? Are you a miner? Trader? Pirate? Merc? Ect...?

And final question, what's your alliance/corp.

Ill go hop in game and create a public channel so we can all chat while care bearing or owning it up in 0.0

'Dwn-of-Fntsy' no quotes.

elcooleo248
01-27-2011, 04:06 PM
World of Warcraft imo. Eve is just a terrible game all together

LiTos456
01-27-2011, 06:48 PM
World of Warcraft imo. Eve is just a terrible game all together

Infraction sent.
Trolling or fueling/starting/participating in a flame war is not allowed. Nor does anyone want to hear your baseless criticism. You knew someone was going to fight over what you posted.
Please do not do this again, and I encourage everyone else not to respond to his post so as not to cause anymore problems.

On another note, I've been having a blast in EVE lately. I joined your chat in the game, and the new character creator is really awesome. Avatars look pretty real, so I was quite happy with it.

Squiglypig
01-28-2011, 02:16 AM
I'm playing WoW regularly now, but maybe 1 years ago I played EvE online.

I actually had a fun time with it, but since I only played the trial version I couldn't exactly make the best for myself in there.
I've also heard many nasty things about the way corps are run in the game, but most of those rumors I heard from a guy that complains about literally EVERYTHING, so I might join you guys in EvE online sometime.

Dalkor
01-28-2011, 02:27 AM
I'm playing WoW regularly now, but maybe 1 years ago I played EvE online.

I actually had a fun time with it, but since I only played the trial version I couldn't exactly make the best for myself in there.
I've also heard many nasty things about the way corps are run in the game, but most of those rumors I heard from a guy that complains about literally EVERYTHING, so I might join you guys in EvE online sometime.

Hmmm, I had a really bad experience with a corp I had been with forever a couple months ago because they where paranoid and though I was a spy, heh. I got the boot, no questions asked and I had been with them for about half a year. But from my experience, thus far, it's not common that something like that happens.

The most **** thing that happens in game is back stabbing, IMO... People seeding them selves in corps and alliances and stealing everything. It's all fun and games and funny to point and laugh until it happens to your corp and you lose ships. T.T

The games biggest criticism is that its politics are too close to real life. That and it has a pretty hefty learning curve.

-Dalkor

Squiglypig
01-28-2011, 04:38 AM
The learning curve is nothing for me, I learn easily. What sorta troubles me IS the politics, because they ARE pretty damn close to RL, but instead of being caught and put in jail, they can simply say "LOLOLOLOLOL" and keep on playing the game.

I think I got a cruiser as my latest ship, this awesome looking thing with curves and a cyan hue that made it look really damn sharp!
But I've gotten a bit more peaceful lately and I've also been playing some X3, so I'd probably be a trader or miner now instead of a pirate or merc.

I actually remember that the ammo I used for my weapon was tungsten because of the MUCH higher damage. Sure, the range was nothing to be proud of, but when I got within range they could feel it!

Energy
01-28-2011, 06:47 AM
I'm just hoping this game is sandbox style like Eve.

Dalkor
01-28-2011, 12:38 PM
The learning curve is nothing for me, I learn easily. What sorta troubles me IS the politics, because they ARE pretty damn close to RL, but instead of being caught and put in jail, they can simply say "LOLOLOLOLOL" and keep on playing the game.

I think I got a cruiser as my latest ship, this awesome looking thing with curves and a cyan hue that made it look really damn sharp!
But I've gotten a bit more peaceful lately and I've also been playing some X3, so I'd probably be a trader or miner now instead of a pirate or merc.

I actually remember that the ammo I used for my weapon was tungsten because of the MUCH higher damage. Sure, the range was nothing to be proud of, but when I got within range they could feel it!

yeahhh, I like flying fast fast ships, so you are likely to find me in a frigate/assault frigate/interceptor/heavy assault frigate. :D

Emerson120
01-30-2011, 11:11 AM
I also only played the trial version. I did notice the learning curve but it shouldn't be too difficult for anyone who puts some time and effort in to learning it. What I didn't like though was that it takes too much time to learn your skills. You can't exactly rush through the game so be prepared to spend some time!

Squiglypig
01-31-2011, 02:59 PM
I also only played the trial version. I did notice the learning curve but it shouldn't be too difficult for anyone who puts some time and effort in to learning it. What I didn't like though was that it takes too much time to learn your skills. You can't exactly rush through the game so be prepared to spend some time!

Well I guess they put it like that for that very same reason: That you can't rush through the game.

Imagine, if you played WoW, that you could get the top tier 85 PvE AND PvP gear in about a week to a month.

That would make playing it pointless, since you wouldn't be able to get any better gear.

master0p
01-31-2011, 07:33 PM
I played eve online while in test mode.
It was quite a nice game, but i didn't want to put to much time into it since i was playing at that time Shadowbane.

Mishkin
02-01-2011, 07:29 AM
I tried eve about 3 years ago, its a very nice looking space game in regards to graphics, but i found it really boring. I'm not sure if it has changed much since then.

(i was also playing shadawbane at the time, a game not related to space at all)

om3n
02-01-2011, 09:17 PM
I play a cap pilot and have a full sci/indy char as well. I'm a member of TnT, I wont got into many specifics cause as you all said, its pretty cut-throat. I find a lot of enjoyment and have done most the things in the game. It's just one of those games that gives a true uniqueness and being its been there since 2k3 says alot. It's one of those kinda games where if you dont like what your doing you can always change it up (provided you have the skills to do so, or are willing to get them)

Veep
02-02-2011, 02:25 AM
I'm hoping the sandbox style like Eve is on the game

om3n
02-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Is anyone else kinda looking foreward to see how they are going to integrate Dust514 into eve online through their "Eve Gate"? It seems like a really neat idea and no other game has attempted to tackle anything like that... Well i suppose some LP muds back in the day developed an interconnect chat module. but MUDS are long forgotten about lol.

Lightchef
02-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Played it for two months, it was taking to long time! WoW FTW! :D

numbawang
02-03-2011, 03:44 PM
is eve free now?

Dolas
02-03-2011, 04:04 PM
is eve free now?

No, its not. It still costs $15 a month, but they have an in-game item called PLEX which gives you a month of game time. So if you make enough money you can make the game free. I know plenty of people who pay for one account and have PLEX paying for another one.

back OT...I have played on and off in Eve since 2007 and have just really started getting into it. I'm both a miner and a mission runner I guess. I just got my covetor (mining barge) yesterday and Ill probably have my Raven (battleship) by the end of the weekend.

Adonai_80
02-03-2011, 09:04 PM
I hope this game is better than Eve, Eve was TOO hardcore when you lost stuff - call me a wuss. :cool:

LiTos456
02-05-2011, 01:23 PM
I just lost a ship a couple of hours ago, lol.
But its okey :p

franticdaz1
02-08-2011, 12:09 PM
im in faction war atm. have done a bit of everything in the game. the main thing i like is i have 3 accounts and havent payed for game time for a year.

DarkyOMG
02-08-2011, 12:28 PM
I once played a Miner..

wou129
02-09-2011, 05:12 AM
im playing it since 2007 im a member of TNT cant give much info thair (i hat backstabbing)
i mostly do pve and pvp but i can fly exhumers to (big mining ships) so i somtims particepate in mining ops i fly an abadon and a retrobution and im on my way fore the marauder alomost have it
my gunnery skills are also supteme every skill in lvl 5 got about 12 mill skill points only in gunery :P:P and only have about 15 sp :P

MacNtoShi
02-10-2011, 11:45 AM
The thing that i've liked the most when i played eve some years ago, was the map, the possibility to zoom over the galaxy surprised me.

Tophat
02-14-2011, 05:47 PM
I was really into it for 3 months or so, but soon it just got so boring making isk to make more isk, there wasn't really any incentive to stay longer.

Folsom
02-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Couldn't find a good guild for someone who games late at night, Pacific time.

DorianLuthis
02-16-2011, 11:13 AM
I played about one year and it was great fun! The only problem for me is the $15 cause in SA it is R124 and for a Student at Varsity it is a lot! The possibilities are almost endless and that is what made the game stick with me. DoF will hopefully do the same, for free!

Kaiserjoe
02-16-2011, 07:46 PM
I loved some of the aspects of EVE, it's a fun game, but I just kinda get bored of it after a month or two. It takes a bit too long irl to get to a point where you can fully enjoy the game. But I absolutely love all the player corperations, the huge pvp battles and that kinda thing in it. It's hands down the most intriuging of all mmo's out there, with the impact that one person can have on the entire universe. Imo.

Bobtree
02-20-2011, 03:40 PM
I used to love Eve back in the day, was a member of Outbreak/Merc coalition.

But I found with work/relationships and limited gametime opportunities were rare to really get a good fleet/roaming gang together.

You get out what you put in, and I just couldnt put in 12 hours a day like I wanted to :P

Lord Revan
02-25-2011, 04:08 AM
Eve online good game. A current why that has bothered me, on a trial still. It is Too much affairs that in general nothing to be engaged. It became dullish somehow.

wonderis
03-02-2011, 07:50 PM
It was interesting and hard to lern to play game, but also one of the best :) i was miner :p

wiredpenguin
03-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Unfortunately I haven't played in almost a year now due to RL and not having the time to devote to the game properly. I am hoping to start back up again in the next couple of months though as this latest expansion looks pretty good (character creation tool looks awesome). When I played I had a Minmatar ratter and tackler (pvp) and a Gallente miner/trader/salvager. I actually enjoy the intrigue/espionage and such as well as the dangers and loss that come with being a pilot. I've lost my share of ships and it can definitely be frustrating but we all know the rules of EVE right? Say them with me now:

Don't fly what you can't afford to lose...twice.

and

You are NEVER safe (unless docked, and that may not be for much longer).

Anyway, just my 2 isks worth. :D

Cosmicron
03-27-2011, 12:12 PM
EvE never gets the praise it deservs , it does so many things that other mmorpgs just cant do due to the limitations they pose

lxxferus
04-12-2011, 12:49 PM
it's too complicated this game!!!

krgwynne
05-09-2011, 04:45 AM
eve online is a great game aslong as you have a few years to train enough skills up to be any good . once you have the skills though is fun as aslong as you dont mine all the time the mission system is good and pvp since you loose what dies for good is a blast. nothing like pvp with a real loss to get the blood pumping .

shakleford7
05-10-2011, 10:09 AM
I don't think eve is worth it anymore you can just play black prophecy which is better and free

Kharl
05-11-2011, 05:56 PM
I have played eve online for a while now. I have also looked at Black Prophecy. both games are decent games for what you are looking for. if you are wanting fast paced dogfight sim in space, then Eve may not be your best bet. If you are looking for in depth Construction and Trade of goods, with pirating and the threat of loss of goods to pirates and gatecamps, Eve is a good bet. I have a lot of fun in Eve Online gathering resources, building stuff and selling for profit.

melkor13
05-12-2011, 05:07 AM
I don't find it wise to compare EvE Online with Black Prophecy. EvE has been around for 8 years now and Black Prophecy is still in Beta! Also, as a 5 year player of EvE Online (inactive & active at times) i can say that nothing can compare to EvE. The heartbeating in fear of loss, the thrilling in pvp, the depth in economic, the mass in manufacturing, the exploration, the mining, the wormholes, the missioning, the ratting, the spying, the leading... and much Much more that EvE can give and many other games can't. I'm not here to judge Black Prophecy, i'm here to show you what EvE can do. It has many enemies due to the depth of gameplay and it's Hardcore PvP, and one too many friends.

Kharl
05-12-2011, 01:05 PM
oh I agree .. Eve Online has been out for quite a while and hopefully Black Prophecy will also be around for a long time. they are both different games, and it is fine to point out the highlights of each as they both have their high and low points. But in the end, you really should play the game that is fun for you to play and not worry about what others feelings towards it are.

I've tried in the past to get friends into Eve Online and it just did not click with them. Same for Black Prophecy. I will personally keep playing both games until one or both quit being fun, then I will drop it.

tombug
06-25-2011, 02:15 PM
its a fun game, but with the worst user interface in any game, feels like your just toiling through excel and spreadsheets, combat is just selecting ships off a list and selecting the weapons to fire.

Nebel
06-27-2011, 10:49 PM
I tried EVE once. It was a bit too unorganized for me. Even after the tutorial I had no idea where I was going.

Kharl
06-28-2011, 05:16 PM
They have done a lot of restructuring that will allow a better new player experience. The latest update has added some early Walking in stations, though it is limited to your stateroom and an entryway to the hanger. The game is evolving to add more interest to a wider audience, yet the core gameplay has not changed which is a good thing. We'll have to see where the microtransactions take this in the future.

Brotolemaeus
06-28-2011, 05:23 PM
I actively play, message me on Paran Botephor if you are ever bored.

WooHoo
06-29-2011, 01:57 AM
^________^

Lotoss
06-29-2011, 03:45 AM
I tried to play it more than 10 times fo free, but dont want to pay for it...

shedrin
06-29-2011, 05:27 AM
I played EVE and WOW, whilst they were completely different settings and structure there were common trends which in my opinion tend to take away from game play.
The first is that games in which a select and limited few members of the player base rush to end game because they want nothing more than to raid, suffer because those players miss a vast amount of story and work by the developers in beginning to mid game.
The second is that, unfortunately, no matter what safe guards developers construct there will always be a few players who prefer to find a way around the rules or to manipulate the game is such a way that causes grief to other players.
This is not eve or wow bashing as many other games have this problem and it certainly is not the developers fault as they try to resolve these issues.
The take home point I am trying to make is every game is made to be fun in some way and unfortunately there will always be something people don't like and a group of players who focus on scamming (bots, gold farming etc) or griefing others its what we as players make of it that counts.

laminblake
07-24-2011, 01:50 PM
lol. Eve online is not a game. Its a job.

Gillymead
09-21-2011, 02:39 AM

That's why I stopped playing it :)

Sharkishi
09-30-2011, 10:54 AM

I whole heartedly agree with that. I played if for just over 5 years. Left because of the way the game was going.

Hadn't reliesed how much free time I was using :eek: