PDA

View Full Version : Differences Between the Xbox 360 and PC Versions

MOO555
04-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey i'm new here. I was just wondering what some of the major and minor differences between the PC and 360 versions will be.

†TYRANICK†™
04-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Well i could guess a few obvious things here:

-No mod tools
-No map making toolz
-Reductions in graphical quality and quantity
-Much more difficult controls (meh?)

And err, the 1st 2 points is generically speaking...im sure there will be pc mod tools that "mite" be able to be cooked for PC (similar to ps3/pc cooks)

Dont want to start any wars here but...the scale the PC version will have will be much greater than the 360 in terms of graphical quality, performance, and scale in terms of how much attention to detail there will be towards smaler units, finer details and flexibilty (in a generic view)

But it terms of overall gameplay and experience, im sure there will be minimal differences...although I do reccomend you get if for the PC for simple ease of use, and RTS's are after all designed for PC's...one of the 1st ever was nearly 25 years ago hehe...good old days (before i was born but still :P)

iceblast
04-09-2008, 10:13 AM
the xbox will have better graphics...

mod tools for pc and worldbuilder will be coming out.

dunno about xbox though

Sauron_9Gods9_Ldr
04-09-2008, 02:22 PM
i wouldn't say better graphic because it depends are your tv and you haft to compare to a really good comptor

Neotyguy40
04-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Xbox has a better graphics card... unless your using a black & white TV, then it will be better...

†TYRANICK†™
04-09-2008, 04:08 PM
No...

Sorry im in no way flaming, but you couldn't be more incorrect.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 come no where near graphical power and processing power of a top of the line PC (£1000+ such as mine)

And you cant say it "has a better graphics card" compared to what...? lol.

If you want some Idea of what they both use...then here ya go :). The PS3 uses a modified version of geforces late G80- series (just before G92). BUT you could call it a "multi developed GF8000" Which gradually its power becomes fully optimal when games come out which can utilise all of its power. Its a future proofing technique all consoles have had and will have...which technically makes them more cost effective compared to PC's because graphics just about keep up as technology advances. The 360 uses Radeon or ATI chip set, again modified and again "multi developed", games will keep up graphically as time and technology advances.

But since a PC can upgrade "physically" every single part of it every 4-8 months, then naturally a top-of-the-line PC squashes any hope of any console keeping up.

For example try getting over 200+ FPS on UT3 on a PS3 with 32 people playing online with the largest map? you cant...since its capped at 60 ish both the game by default and PS3 and 360 in general...sort of like a permanent Vsync. But as many UT3 PS3 owners will say...custom maps and graphical settings, even though slight, bog it down considerably :(

Both consoles do not operate on a directX level which comes anywhere near DX10 or 9.0c since it uses a different type of distinction. The G92 chip sets and new 9x series graphics cards coming out...as well as dual tri and eventually Octycore processors (6 and 8 processors) and dx10.1...I'm sorry but PC's graphics and power will always surpass a console in every way.

Lol obviously a color TV would help, but remember all "HD" is, is a substantial increase in per pixel resolution and ocular liquid crystal display quality (basically how good and expensive and reliable the LC's of the D actually are). I have a HD monitor, i can tell you it does definitely ramp up picture quality (since im on 1080p its pretty dam nice)

So in conclusion, PC will have the better graphics. Hence why crysis isn't on any consoles (yet anyway) simply too good looking and powerful + crytek said it themselves.

@ Iceblast...

That's what i said dude...i was saying there wont be any for the 360, a downloader system may be introduced though so that's one good thing for you :). Wonder it it will come out for PS3 in the future...hmmmm

Sorry for going horribly off topic but it seems people dont really know the full story here.

I'm sure the 360 version will be just as great a game as the PC version will be :D

The Witch King of Angmar
04-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Yeah there will be a transfer system for maps for the 360. I think that there may be an editing system for it thought.

†TYRANICK†™
04-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Yeah there will be a transfer system for maps for the 360. I think that there may be an editing system for it thought.

That will be good for 360r's, will allow them to finally be some part of the modding community :)

But of course to replicate the scale of a PC editor would unfortunately be impossible...

Then again, a toned down version could well be made, maybe if microsoft was to introduce a mouse and keyboard kinda thing going with the 260 it would get more pickups...

The best you guys could hope for is a special download manager or program or just a normal file, that you would download direct from here or wherever when a map/mod section is introduced onto the boards. I wouldn't worry people, i can already tell the support for this game and its community will be excellent. So definitely expect some kind of system :p

Sauron_9Gods9_Ldr
04-10-2008, 01:28 PM
well like said pc has better graphics because the systems liek a ps3 cant keep up. Note when making map edattor make people to edit with more then one person like in ahlo 3 that would speed and make maps up faster :)

†TYRANICK†™
04-11-2008, 04:39 PM
well like said pc has better graphics because the systems liek a ps3 cant keep up. Note when making map edattor make people to edit with more then one person like in ahlo 3 that would speed and make maps up faster :)

Come again?

Anyway yeah. Like with any PC to 360 game or vice versa, your bound to run into some difficulties.

LordSlayer
04-18-2008, 02:47 PM
I hope they include editor in 360 version so we can get more maps.

MOO555
04-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Well i'm just worried if my PC can handle this game or not. I mean if it can't then i'll get it for the 360. My PC stats are pretty high...I can run Crysis on very high with 20FPS or so. So i mean it should be able to handle this game...right?

LordSlayer
04-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Well i'm just worried if my PC can handle this game or not. I mean if it can't then i'll get it for the 360. My PC stats are pretty high...I can run Crysis on very high with 20FPS or so. So i mean it should be able to handle this game...right?

I hope you will, because Crysis is a pretty demanding game PC performance wise.

Neotyguy40
04-24-2008, 10:53 PM

I use a Mac, and my specs are OFF THE CHARTS!!! Here they are:

2 (yes, 2 of them) 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)
32GB of RAM (that's all I will ever need...)
4 Hard Drive Bays of 1TB 15,000-rpm SAS each (I run 3 operating systems with an extra TB of memory...)

Now here is one of the best parts...

NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB with Stereo 3D, and two dual-link DVI (literally the BEST graphics card in the world)

This computer only costed me 19,999... But it was worth it, especially since I won't need to upgrade for another 15 years...

MOO555
04-25-2008, 02:48 PM

Yeah same here. So far I've been able to play every PC game out there on max settings so i doubt I'll have any trouble with this game.

Neotyguy40
04-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Yeah same here. So far I've been able to play every PC game out there on max settings so i doubt I'll have any trouble with this game.

You may be suprised... I just know I won't have any problems... I have alot of high specs...

Generation
05-20-2008, 04:11 PM
can't u hook it up on the computer use keyboard and the mouse

Ryan Zelazny
05-21-2008, 09:40 AM
I've gone over Xbox differences before. However it's more on a general term. I've said before that visual quality will be better on the xbox version. This is a -general- term, based on the fact that most of our estimated players will have PCs with capabilities lower than the Xbox 360. For those of you like Tyranick and others who have mentioned they have exceptional gaming rigs, you definately will get better graphics than those on the Xbox.

However, as I have stated before, Xbox 360 users will have the benefit that the game is optimized for them. The 360 version should never lag or drop dramatically in FPS during play. The same cannot be said about the PC, due to the fact that everyone's system is different, so settings must be tweaked by the user, and users will experience drops in performance.

Our Xbox 360 interface is completely different from our PC interface (the way you control the game). You do almost nothing the same way, all the same features are available, but the way your queue units, move units, attack, even select things are different. We don't just replace the mouse movement with the analog stick and give you a couple extra hot keys. We are mapping the controls and changing the interface of the game to compliment the 360 rather than just making it playable.

You will be able to download custom content, as well as our released expansion packs on Xbox 360. We will not be including an editor with the 360 version. However, you may be able to download the editor for the PC using the serial number of your 360 game, we are still debating about this, but I believe this will be available as it shouldn't be too costly or time consuming for us to setup.

The Xbox 360's also tend to have faster internet connections for online play. This is due to the small amount of security issues they have, seeing as the only internet places they connect to are Xbox Live and other 360's they aren't required to have as many security features as Windows does.

crex719
05-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Alot of 360 and PC users will get this game for the 360 to play with their friends, so I hope what you said about editing will be possible.

Joseph Visscher
05-22-2008, 04:53 PM

4 Hard Drive Bays of 1TB 15,000-rpm SAS each (I run 3 operating systems with an extra TB of memory...)

NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB with Stereo 3D, and two dual-link DVI (literally the BEST graphics card in the world)

This computer only costed me 19,999... But it was worth it, especially since I won't need to upgrade for another 15 years...

Well... Lets hope you can run Dawn of Fantasy.
Oh wait, you wont, Dawn of fantasy requires 33 GBs of ram, Sorry!

Just kidding, :p lol

I think geting a 20k pc is sort of dumb, you can get a really really good one for 2k. some stupid thing will happen and ur pc will probibily overheat and die. I take it its liquid cooled? lol be carful my freind's pc broke, the tube leeked water, fryed everything.

Neotyguy40
05-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Well... Lets hope you can run Dawn of Fantasy.
Oh wait, you wont, Dawn of fantasy requires 33 GBs of ram, Sorry!

Just kidding, :p lol

I think geting a 20k pc is sort of dumb, you can get a really really good one for 2k. some stupid thing will happen and ur pc will probibily overheat and die. I take it its liquid cooled? lol be carful my freind's pc broke, the tube leeked water, fryed everything.

Well I actually did the math on what I would need, apparently I will save money in about 25 years when my comp is the new 'current tech'

And because I won't need to upgrade it over and over, then I save about 10k...

No, it isn't liquidly cooled... I can turn off hardrive bays and ram boards when I don't need them, so I usually only stick with 4gb of ram and 1 hardrive bay. And it has 4 cooling fans, it overheats if you use it for over 15 hours straight without taking a break... But I mean, seriously... Who is on the computer for that long (except my sister when she goes on AIM)

wou129
05-22-2008, 11:39 PM
aim ??? what is that

Neotyguy40
05-25-2008, 06:12 PM
AIM = AOL instant messenger

AOL = America Online

MOO555
05-27-2008, 07:31 PM
I've gone over Xbox differences before. However it's more on a general term. I've said before that visual quality will be better on the xbox version. This is a -general- term, based on the fact that most of our estimated players will have PCs with capabilities lower than the Xbox 360. For those of you like Tyranick and others who have mentioned they have exceptional gaming rigs, you definately will get better graphics than those on the Xbox.

However, as I have stated before, Xbox 360 users will have the benefit that the game is optimized for them. The 360 version should never lag or drop dramatically in FPS during play. The same cannot be said about the PC, due to the fact that everyone's system is different, so settings must be tweaked by the user, and users will experience drops in performance.

Our Xbox 360 interface is completely different from our PC interface (the way you control the game). You do almost nothing the same way, all the same features are available, but the way your queue units, move units, attack, even select things are different. We don't just replace the mouse movement with the analog stick and give you a couple extra hot keys. We are mapping the controls and changing the interface of the game to compliment the 360 rather than just making it playable.

You will be able to download custom content, as well as our released expansion packs on Xbox 360. We will not be including an editor with the 360 version. However, you may be able to download the editor for the PC using the serial number of your 360 game, we are still debating about this, but I believe this will be available as it shouldn't be too costly or time consuming for us to setup.

The Xbox 360's also tend to have faster internet connections for online play. This is due to the small amount of security issues they have, seeing as the only internet places they connect to are Xbox Live and other 360's they aren't required to have as many security features as Windows does.

Wow, the 360 version sounds pretty good. But so does the PC version. It sounds like they both have areas where one excells over the other. I believe my PC should be able to play this game on max settings and I have a 360 so now comes my second question. If you had the choice, which version would you buy?

Ryan Zelazny
05-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Wow, the 360 version sounds pretty good. But so does the PC version. It sounds like they both have areas where one excells over the other. I believe my PC should be able to play this game on max settings and I have a 360 so now comes my second question. If you had the choice, which version would you buy?

Personally I'd buy both!

crex719
05-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Who wouldnt buy both?

MOO555
05-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Someone who doesn't want to spend $110 on a single game ($60 for 360 + $50 for PC), in other words me. I just want to know which version is overall better so that i can just buy that version.

crex719
05-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Basically it comes down to if you want better friend communication or more content I guess..

MOO555
05-31-2008, 07:17 PM
Well...not too many of my friends are buying this game.

Grizzlez
06-02-2008, 10:17 AM
For me personally, i'll buy the version more of my friends are willing to get, seeing as we all have good enough PCs and Xbox360s. For me personally, i'd rather get PC but buying both imo won't be a good choice. Maybe have it as a games for Windows type game so people need to use a Window messenger account and you can include an acheivement system. Doesn't even need to be cross-platform, just adds something different to the game.

Ryan Zelazny
06-03-2008, 08:34 AM
If your only purchasing one and your PC will run it fine, I would purchase the PC version. Mostly because it comes with all the modding tools, the 360 version will have them available for download. Though if your planning to mod, editing a map, then uploading it, then downloading it via xbox live, then testing it is a lot harder than saving the map file and opening DoF to test it.

MOO555
06-03-2008, 11:16 AM
hmm....what about the amount of units in the game? So far in every console RTS i've noticed the PC version always has more units on the map and better graphics. Will the same be true with this game? If so then i'll prbly buy the PC version.

Ryan Zelazny
06-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Both versions will have all the same features, pop limit will be the same.

As far as graphics go, we'll push the 360's capabilities as much as we can, but PC's will always be upgradeable, so theres always a point that future technology will make your game look much better.

crex719
06-03-2008, 12:21 PM
So is it confirmed you can use the modding tools directly on the 360? That seems quite remarkable....Im probably gonna get both so I can edit easily on the PC and show off to my 360 friends...

MOO555
06-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Really? The pop limit will be the same? That's pretty cool. But u say the graphics may be a bit better on PC right? In other words games will be the exact same but the PC version will look slightly better?

Ryan Zelazny
06-04-2008, 08:40 AM
So is it confirmed you can use the modding tools directly on the 360? That seems quite remarkable....Im probably gonna get both so I can edit easily on the PC and show off to my 360 friends...

You cannot edit directly on the 360, you can edit it on your PC, and then download the map onto your 360.

Really? The pop limit will be the same? That's pretty cool. But u say the graphics may be a bit better on PC right? In other words games will be the exact same but the PC version will look slightly better?

It all depends on your PC hardware. If your current PC games look better than the versions on the 360, then yes your PC version will look nicer. If your current games do not, then you would have to upgrade your PC to ensure graphics will be better.

MOO555
06-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Ok thanks. My current PC can play Crysis on very high saettings so i doubt i'll encounter any problems running this game on max on my PC. Thanks for the help.

Erandur
07-02-2008, 05:55 AM

*cough* Sorry for wrecking your dream, but no computer lasts for 15 years... No Hardware is able to survive 15 years of usage, without 'dying'. Your processors will be getting dated in 5-6 years, the graphics card in 2 years. Since ATI already has a better one. ;) 1 TiB of memory already exists in portable, and I'm afraid your RAM is DDR2. Even if it was DDR3, it would be slow as hell in 15 years, since ATI already had video cards with GDDR5...

Knowing that Macs are always expensive, you bought a workstation card (which is expensive as hell, while Nvidia's can only be used to professional purposes, and fails at games), I'd say you paid a 5,000 too much.

Buying the newest is never good, you'll always pay double the price for less than double the performance, especially when it's new.

And a final piece of advise, beware of the PSU, if it does last 15 years, your PSU will have lost a 100-200W of power. Because of that your computer will run short of power (and I assume it needs a lot), which is likely to make it burn up.

Neotyguy40
07-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Mac hardware always lasts long... We still have a Mac OS 9 comp in the basement, and it works perfectly...

Yes, a TB portable memory exists, but that gets overheated extremely quickly, only get about 4 hours on it before you need to shut it down.

Graphics cards get outdated very quickly, so I am not surprised at that, it use to be the best a few weeks ago though. And that is cheap to upgrade.

4 TB of hardrive space will last a while, as long as programs don't get too big.

All in all, I still think that it is a pretty powerful comp, and it will still last a good 15 years (maybe 20 if I take it easy). But I use comps for game design, and I need to have perfect OpenGL graphics.

zach12wqasxz
06-30-2009, 12:36 PM
if they keep revamping the graphics for this game how is the 360 supposed to be able to handle this game? are they just gonna have bad graphics for the 360 or are they going to leave out content or will the 360 be able to handle it even with the graphic revamps?

wou129
06-30-2009, 02:15 PM
i dont know if it has been askd before but can the xbox and pc play against echother (probebly not but just wantet to know fore sure)

Puppeteer
06-30-2009, 03:30 PM
if they keep revamping the graphics for this game how is the 360 supposed to be able to handle this game? are they just gonna have bad graphics for the 360 or are they going to leave out content or will the 360 be able to handle it even with the graphic revamps?

Graphics won't change that much...

Darathor
06-30-2009, 03:56 PM
i dont know if it has been askd before but can the xbox and pc play against echother (probebly not but just wantet to know fore sure)

I seriously doubt it, the PC player would have a huge advantage over the xbox player and it would be extremely hard to win such a match as the person on the xbox unless the other guy is new or stupid.

zach12wqasxz
06-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Graphics won't change that much...

i read in the forums that they arent even working on the 360 version yet because they want to get the pc version out of the way first, how long do you think it will take for it to come out after the pc version is done? and is there any chance the 360 version haveing better graphics?

Darathor
06-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Whether or not the graphics are better on the 360 is totally dependent on your computer and how good it is.

Joseph Visscher
07-03-2009, 10:38 AM
You know your stuff †TYRANICK†, I have never liked Consoles for those reasons, PS3 was like 500$ when it came out, even though its parts cost is around 150$ if that, add in mass production of 2 million consoles, and they'd be well under 100$ each.

The main reason why the media today favors consoles is because it is a way the gaming industry can avoid losing profit to piracy. Along with the benefits of no operating system with no viruses. Still a 1v1 match vs the pc, every console will fail inevitably to the pc's undeniable modifiability, connectivity, community, replayability, accessibility, efficacy and controls; mouse + keyboard owns all other controllers if in the hands of a pro.

jecjoker
07-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Hey i'm new here. I was just wondering what some of the major and minor differences between the PC and 360 versions will be.
They will be fairly the same exept 360 version cost a bit more from what I hear. 360 may have better detail unless your PC has newer graphics which soon the new cards are comeing out and will in all likely improve PC gameplay. PC will have all modding tools though 360 wil lrequire a seperate download to mod on it though many beleave it to be better to mod on your pc then change it to your 360 which id rather just do pc easyer ocntrols and likely more hotkeys. Population will be the same for both and no shortcuts have been forseen or atleast not meantioned for hte 360 version besides the seperate modding tools.

*all misspells are due to my erg keyboard lagging*:mad:

JDmino
09-18-2009, 11:00 PM
I am pretty sure the interface will be different, an by quite a bit. Although I am normally wrong.

nickson104
09-19-2009, 03:50 AM
I am pretty sure the interface will be different, an by quite a bit. Although I am normally wrong.

Indeed, I am expecting the common analogue stick interface for the Xbox whereas with pc it will probably be shortcuts/buttons...

Darathor
11-02-2009, 06:03 PM
I would suggest not clicking on the links in the post above mine, they seem very keyloggery. He said something very obvious with odd links in his sig.
(The post has now been deleted).

Josh Warner
11-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Deleted the bot post.

Puppeteer
11-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Josh if you see a bot don't just delete the post, give the member an infraction.

Josh Warner
11-04-2009, 02:57 AM
Josh if you see a bot don't just delete the post, give the member an infraction.

I normally give the name/post to Joseph and have him IP ban them, but I can infract too if you'd like.

Sauron_9Gods9_Ldr
11-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Hmm anyways old topic, the pc version Might have better graphics (I personally could care less) but I really don’t think graphics matter because wow and warcraft 3 proved that so that kind of blow all you graphics nuts down. I really hope the game is fun and not based on looks like in Dawn of war 2 (no offence)

SN1P3RSTU113
01-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Xbox has a better graphics card... unless your using a black & white TV, then it will be better...

wow.... thats wrong in every way possible. unless you're using a graphics card from the 90's

Henry Martin
01-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Wow, that is way wrong. Some of the statements he/she says are way wrong. Like that his/her computer would last for 15 yrs! thats basicly someone back in '95 saying his computer would be still good in 2010.

I don't mean to start anything, but I have never heard anyone say that or believe that.

massenic
01-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Indeed... I think if u are a gamer, your computer usually won't last any longer than 3 years if you want to keep up.

nickson104
11-02-2010, 12:29 PM
pc has better graphics because the systems liek a ps3 cant keep up. Note when making map edattor make people to edit with more then one person like in ahlo 3 that would speed and make maps up faster

That is overcomplicating the issue, the way the editor will work is similar to many other great editors. It is not as simplified as halos forge mode, and it is not a game in itself unlike forge.
While people could collaborate and make maps together, that would mean one person doing something then sending it on to another to do their bit and make any changes as they see fit. How could you have a multi-access editor tool, where you literally make the map?
You cant even say muli-player, the editor is not a game, but a tool.

Of course, I could be mistaken as there has been no announcements of this, but I would definitely think there wont be muli-user access to editor

Brian Shingles
11-02-2010, 01:04 PM
You are right about the editor Nickson, although the post you're responding to appears to be a spambot so I wouldn't take anything said in that post seriously if I was you.

nickson104
11-07-2010, 03:18 PM
You are right about the editor Nickson, although the post you're responding to appears to be a spambot so I wouldn't take anything said in that post seriously if I was you.

I noticed the advert in his signature, was going to report it but I sadly had to leave quickly. As for the spelling in the comment, least said the better yes? :D

Thanks for verifying that I am right in my arguements and not just trolling :) I do tend to reply to things with my opinion without knowing anything I am talking about really.

oblitteras
11-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Ive played quite a few ports from pc rts to console, and no editor would be a downer. I also hope you can overcome the overwhelming feeling that the console versions are just "insert game name here" light.

jleem21
11-28-2010, 11:38 AM
I'd still get this game for the Pc..:)

brittenman
12-03-2010, 02:43 PM
I think I might get DOF for both systems. :D

TheUrchin
12-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Never really understood why would someone want to play strategy games on console.

Sturn
12-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Never really understood why would someone want to play strategy games on console.

I can sit in my living room instead of my office, already has voice chat integrated, online community to easily jump into, my friends with the game can easily meet me there, etc. I have Kinect, so I could possibly even video chat with a friend while playing without having to wear a headset or mic.

If the XBOX version is as robust as the PC version (a.i. has an editor) then I would prefer the console version even though my history in gaming goes back through decades of console play.

Try out Endwar on the XBOX Urchin and you might change your mind. It's a great example of a console strategy game done right (nice 3D graphics, easy commands including voice). Civilization on XBOX was very simplified over the console version, but I'm a fan of both. The XBOX version didn't need hours of time dedicated.

theangel04
12-04-2010, 10:00 PM
one thing is clear.....there will be noticeable differences...in control and graphics. but i am sure that the developers will spend as much time (maybe even more) on the xbox version since it is clear that there will be more challenges there.