PDA

View Full Version : Bridge !

Staufftw
01-26-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't know how it work at this moment in game, but it will be realy nice to see buildable/destroyable bridges ! I think about spot where you can build/repair it.
(Some bridges need to be unbreakable, like the one at castle door).

Bamboocha
01-26-2011, 03:20 PM
yeah, would be an good idea, and if the soldiers came to an river, and couldn't pass, they should be able to build a weak bridge for a certain (high) price of wood. would add a little more strategic thinking if you for example are going to ambush someone :P

Desthin
01-26-2011, 03:29 PM
by the same point shouldnt you be able to destroy "useless" bridges for a bonus?

Carnifexrex
01-26-2011, 04:06 PM
this would be awesome. Not only does t open up tactical options, but c'mon, who doesnt love a good bridge burning?

Rhino
01-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Would be pretty cool if you built a bridge and that was the only way in and out of your castle. So pretty much the battle would be for control of the bridge. This would make the game more tactical as you would have to decide to defend your castle or meet the enemy at the bridge.

Paffp
01-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Well fist you would have to find a ridge or an area to build the castle, that's if you get to choose where to build it, but then your enimies would be able to build bridges themselves.

Rhino
01-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Well fist you would have to find a ridge or an area to build the castle, that's if you get to choose where to build it, but then your enimies would be able to build bridges themselves.

Does that not make the game more diverse and interesting? Isn't that what you want a game to be like? In my opinion if a game is not original and just some copy of another then 99% of the time it is just complete rubbish. Adding features that will make the game more original attracts more customers. Bridges are a great idea as they can create many different tactical scenarios.

Staufftw
01-27-2011, 03:29 AM
I agree with Bamboocha about the weak bridge.

Something like this :
http://images.all-free-download.com/images/graphicmedium/wooden_bridge_clip_art_17037.jpg

Castles bridges is part of the map I think (or part of the castle layout).
Does that not make the game more diverse and interesting? Isn't that what you want a game to be like? In my opinion if a game is not original and just some copy of another then 99% of the time it is just complete rubbish. Adding features that will make the game more original attracts more customers. Bridges are a great idea as they can create many different tactical scenarios.
It just need to be nerfed a bit (don't want bridge spam). But i agree, more freedom = more strategy ;)

Rhino
01-27-2011, 03:34 AM
just wondering if there was some sort of siege tower device but used to get across rivers. Like a portable bridge. Instead of the top just coming down to go on a wall, the whole front lowers itself so men can cross a bridge. I think that would be something really cool.:D

Negthareas
01-27-2011, 07:33 AM
A couple considerations:

First, no castle is completely surround by water [aka - a moat]. The few exceptions or close situations to this are cities like Dagbor which has very strong looking stone bridges. Thus, players will never be in a situation where they can build and then hold or destroy the only bridge into their cities.

Second, rivers and streams and creeks vary in depth and width with every map, since no concept like this was put into production - meaning that it would either be way too long on some rivers or way too short on others, also, I am not sure how it would work into the whole pathfinding of units. However, in the scenario editor, I know that there is a capability to turn any object into a bridge, whether it be a fallen tree, or a vine, or a lengthy twig, or a real bridge! So, I guess there are many options for versitality, though I am not sure how this would help in the implementation of such an, er, ambitious unit [as a river crossing siege weapon].

Here is a link to a thread in which moats were discussed [keep in mind it is an older string of posts]:

http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1202

Paffp
01-27-2011, 01:41 PM

Yes it does, it is allready interesting, I do hope its going to be an amasing game

Bamboocha
01-27-2011, 02:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UypXbeb4jF4

shows some bridges in the video, is this an hint? :eek:

elcooleo248
01-27-2011, 03:12 PM
I don't know how it work at this moment in game, but it will be realy nice to see buildable/destroyable bridges ! I think about spot where you can build/repair it.

Very much agree with an entirely destructible atmosphere

Khan kreiger
01-27-2011, 04:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UypXbeb4jF4

shows some bridges in the video, is this an hint? :eek:

LMFAO....you do realize that, that is oooold. Reverieworld studios has come a long waay from that. But they are still in development so they could possibly put some kind of bridge building in.

LiTos456
01-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Lol, it's funny how you guys take everything as a hint, no matter where you found it or how old it is :P There are bridges in the game, but I can't comment on whether you can build them yourself or destroy them yet.

Tibador
01-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Not just bridges but lookout towers travelling hunting parties that provide food/resources to the city would be awesome to have those types of things be stratigic targets.

myashin
01-29-2011, 05:17 AM
just wondering if there was some sort of siege tower device but used to get across rivers. Like a portable bridge. Instead of the top just coming down to go on a wall, the whole front lowers itself so men can cross a bridge. I think that would be something really cool.:D

as noted above,but what if we could lay ladders on to rivers or ravines to get over them, though it could help get past only for infantry i think, would apreciate someones thoughts on it

Loose Morals
01-29-2011, 10:51 PM
im not sure i like the idea of being able to make a single bridge as tjhe only point of attack on your city. as a defence its too powerful. everyone would do it. there would be no personal touches or inovative defence. everyone makes one bridge and puts all defences around it. sounds kinda boring to me

boondock5aint
02-01-2011, 03:07 PM
i like the idea of being able to build and destroy bridges from time to time, just simply for the fact i like being able to do more with the land in an rts other than just the town itself. The more i can build or modify to my liking the happier i am basically :P

om3n
02-01-2011, 03:19 PM
I think it would be neat to see some form of siege construction/destruction along those lines. you could have defenders trying to take out bridges to create bottlenecks or attackers creating makeshift bridges to prevent one and give another avenue of approach(through use of nearby resources, trees etc). Just my two cents though i suppose.

Corpsebloom
02-02-2011, 02:28 AM
It would be a great way to create choke-points and draw enemies into traps as they try to work around. Could make for some interesting tactics.

Lightchef
02-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Would be even more awsome if you could destroy it when alot of enemy troops where on it! ;)

nauro
02-03-2011, 11:12 AM

Why not make even those ones breakable. If it was a time consuming processing breaking/building/repairing them then it wouldn't be useful as a defense to destroy your bridge as you would have no way to get out of your castle. Siege weapons would be able to tear you apart and you'd have no way to send units out to destroy them.

Braveman
02-09-2011, 02:02 PM
it would be good if you could pre-rig a bridge with lots of explosive barrels and detonate it when the enemy cross it. There by cutting his army in 2 and alowing you to engage and destroy them piecemeal

Arnfiarnunn Neanias
02-09-2011, 03:26 PM
It could be very fun to trap the enemy :)

master0p
02-10-2011, 08:36 AM
I would agree to see a buildable bridge over a river.
But i recommend to nerf the freedom abit for the bridge.
I would go for local positions that are only able to build a bridge, so you can't build them everywhere.

Braveman
02-10-2011, 10:15 AM
I would agree to see a buildable bridge over a river.
But i recommend to nerf the freedom abit for the bridge.
I would go for local positions that are only able to build a bridge, so you can't build them everywhere.

Yes a way to do this would be how Age of empires only allowed you to build town centers on settlements

NobleIre
02-10-2011, 10:37 AM
I'd be keep for being able to fight on/near bridges, but not so much for destroying them. It seems like that could be easily abused and get very cheesy.

Ezekiel
02-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Yeh would ofc be nice being able to destroy bridges etc, but it would become old fast, and therefore pretty much every engagement you know what would happen.

Relee
02-11-2011, 04:02 PM
I love that. Bridges are an important part of real strategy and movement. Moving a large army across even a small body of water can be a lot of trouble.

delar
02-14-2011, 10:24 AM
i agree with relee. you must think about your armyconstruction. maybe you can integrate a "driving-construcion-base"... a tent or something else, where you can build little constructions and so on

BloodOfDeath
02-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Bridges the choke point of the gods, its great to kill so many units funneling into them...and then if they are going to make it across you destroy it into tiny pieces of fire and ash (don't let it work against you)

Baxter
03-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Nothing for nothing, although a great idea that would definately in theory provide mroe tactical gameplay - I think the reality of the MMO portion is that people would constantly destroy bridges just because they could - regardless of tactical need, making it more of a hassle and a resource drain everytime you needed to get to the other side rather than an element of gameplay.

Might be a nice in a single player mod though!

darthplagued
03-04-2011, 12:07 PM
I like that idea :D

WarriorKing
04-20-2011, 05:24 AM
I remember battles in "Rome total war" on bridges, dead soldiers droped in the water and their bodies drifted down the river.