PDA

View Full Version : Work for a " Dev-Team"

pkdavid
01-26-2011, 03:54 AM
Who does not dream of taking part in the production of a video game or a mod, who never wanted to make a map, hud, 3D, program, music, sounds or other ...

If you're one of those people, like me, have more or less work in and would make his own game, tell me about:

_ What kind of games you would like to work ? (RTS;FPS ...)

_ What would you have inside as a team ?

_ If you already work for a game or a mod ? (name; what you've done)

Dalkor
01-27-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm applying for a heap of internships this summer, hope I will get one at blizzard. Ill put my portfolio up at the end of the month and shamelessly ask for opinions. :D

Henry Martin
01-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Well since I'm a level designer (not professionall, yet), I would like to work on games like the Uncharted series. Some RTS games look fun to work on, but look boring to make levels for.

Well obviously I'm an intern on DOF, Rebirth of hellenes (medieval 2 mod) was a character modeller, Revelation (UDK mod) prop modeller, Morticioso (Torque 3d game, school project game) was a character modeller, Directive R (Torque 3d, school project game) level designer.

So yeah I've done quite a few mods (I haven't mentioned them all). Not all were great experience as most mods are disorganized and full of people that dont know what they are doing.

Dalkor
01-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Well since I'm a level designer (not professionall, yet), I would like to work on games like the Uncharted series. Some RTS games look fun to work on, but look boring to make levels for.

Well obviously I'm an intern on DOF, Rebirth of hellenes (medieval 2 mod) was a character modeller, Revelation (UDK mod) prop modeller, Morticioso (Torque 3d game, school project game) was a character modeller, Directive R (Torque 3d, school project game) level designer.

So yeah I've done quite a few mods (I haven't mentioned them all). Not all were great experience as most mods are disorganized and full of people that dont know what they are doing.

That's my biggest problem, I've hopped on board with several mod's as a character/environment modeler and the projects ends up sizzling, leaving me with little to nothing to show for it. D:

Squiglypig
01-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Well I don't really have any experience in programming, but I do have experience in voice acting, so they only things I think I'd be able to help with is voices and testing the game itself... :(

Henry Martin
01-27-2011, 02:44 PM
That's my biggest problem, I've hopped on board with several mod's as a character/environment modeler and the projects ends up sizzling, leaving me with little to nothing to show for it. D:

Yeah I had one or two of those. I had one that I quit because they wouldn't help me find stuff. They put me on unit modelling (this was a medieval 2 tw mod) and there was no unit roster or much pictures (which there was suppose to be). So I ask one of the main guys if I could get some help on the unit roster and finding photo since this was a historically mod (they have people that are suppose to find the photo for us modelers). So the guy links me to a thread that was 15 pages long and you know there is a quite a few post for each page. He expected me to look through it to find what I needed. Again I asked if I could get help which then he told me that the team isn't going to spoon feed me the info. I then got p***ed and kind of told him off then left. Hehe, still bothers me when I think about it.

GoGoCactusMan!
01-27-2011, 10:17 PM
I actually hope to be a part of a video game production at some point in my life.

Right now, I run a small video game store. Its a good dig, and the offer lured me across the country, allowing me to have a good paying job and letting me stay in college while working.

Through this, I've gained a vast amount of management and customer service skills, all while trying to pull together the local gaming community under one banner.

What this has to do with game development is a small side dream of mine. I would like to become the community manager for a game series I enjoy at some point. I have a way with groups of people, being able to attain their focus while explaining and hyping what ideas I am tasked with conveying.

I feel like I would be able to make a great splash if I could represent an IP at game conventions such as PAX or Leipzig. Its a big part of my day to day life already, running my own store. I have to take a wealth of knowledge about every platform as well as its individual titles and market it directly to each individual customer that comes in my door based off of what they like.

In fact, if Reverie is ever looking for someone to organize information and convey it to the community in any shape or form and wants to give me an interview, I'd be more than happy to oblige!

repi
01-29-2011, 11:08 PM
I'm still at university taking my degree in programming but will take alot of years to have the skill and knowledge to participate in a game as programmer, and since here in europe the market goes more toward "little games" like cellphones some console games, i will have to start by that ;).

I would totaly love to get into a crew to make a mmo or something similar, even if the roll was small ;)

Henry Martin
01-31-2011, 10:50 AM
since here in europe the market goes more toward "little games" like cellphones some console games, i will have to start by that ;).

It's like that here in the US too. The Indie market is really big now. A lot of small/new companies are starting in smartphone games or simple 2d games for XBL, PSN, and Steam. Nothing wrong with that, getting experience from anything and starting in a small company will lead to getting into a large dev company, but it takes time, persistence (or luck:D).

Alex Walz
01-31-2011, 09:00 PM
It's really great hearing all of your interests! We'll probably have some openings after release, so check back this Summer if working with Reverie is something that would interest you.

Desthin
01-31-2011, 11:12 PM
Im still working on my programming skill, havent really had much experience in terms of # of games made etc, but have been working on it steadily through group projects in school, next week i plan on polishing up or making a new game, nothing fancy but gonna do a from the ground up so i can keep working on doing stuff.

Need to start making things for my portfolio:D

pkdavid
02-05-2011, 02:58 PM
http://q3a.ath.cx/levelshot.php/bull-highway.jpg

http://q3a.ath.cx/topview/bull-highway.jpg

http://q3a.ath.cx/levelshot.php/bull-straf.jpg

http://q3a.ath.cx/topview/bull-straf.jpg

Here are two maps that we created with my brother Defrag mod for the game Quake 3.

Defrag = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAVsJI2PCiM

ThX watch this video

NobleIre
02-05-2011, 03:08 PM
I had aspirations in the gaming industry once, as I think most gamers do. But, i've never been terribly confident in my graphical abilities. I've always been more of an 'idea guy' - good at coming up with concepts and then pitching them to someone else. I'm a writer, but I felt the likelihood of getting paid sufficiently for basing my entire career around writing was a little too unlikely and thus kept it as a hobby.

Thus, I spend lots of time hanging around beta/pre-launch forums talking about ideas for games in development. :p

billybob567
02-05-2011, 05:12 PM
i learn c++ to make games :D