PDA

View Full Version : Forum shoutbox

LiTos456
01-25-2011, 02:23 PM
While it seems like it's asking for spam, I have one on my Assassin's Creed fansite (http://1191adb.com/forums/index.php) and it can actually be pretty fun.

Could also be a good place to ask small questions or just chat with members instead of posting it in a thread where it may seem unnecessary.

Of course if it gets out of control we can just disable it.

What do you think?

Dalkor
01-25-2011, 04:58 PM
I like the idea. But you're right they do tend to attract spam. I set up a random phpbb3 forum for a couple friends and I quite a while ago. Mind you I let guests have access to it, which was probably a fatal flaw on my part. I like them because they add a fluidity to the website so that there is always something going on. :)

modernatomic
01-25-2011, 05:43 PM
I agree, I like the idea as long as spam doesn't get out of control. Or maybe it should be only for the developers to point out items of interest and other updates? Locked down, the spam issue goes away, even if it does limit the interactivity.

LiTos456
01-25-2011, 10:56 PM
It could be, but I honestly doubt there will be a lot of spam in there, unless bots use it for advertising I don't think people will be stupid enough to spam in the shoutbox. It just makes it easier to track, so more wrath for the banhammer to unleash.

I say we give it a shot and see what happens.

VanguardX
01-25-2011, 11:02 PM
While I agree spamming is bad, when I saw the title of this thread I got the sudden uncontrollable urge to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHWbsvgQUE

Staufftw
01-27-2011, 11:05 AM
IRC is your friend =)

A shoutbox can be cool but it always finish spam by bots AND kids requests ={

LiTos456
01-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Well only a few people will bother to join the IRC, but a shoutbox would give everyone this type of interaction methinks.

Froody42
01-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Can't hurt in my opinion. At best it'll be a nice place for some friendly chit-chat, at worst it'll catch some spam that would have otherwise ended up in its own forum thread :P

master0p
01-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Yeah shoutbox should be also something fun where you can say randomly things to eachother :)..
Gives the community another way to communicate even if its simple :).

Dalkor
01-31-2011, 07:44 PM
Litos,

There are options that combine the two together. An iframe of irc chat rather then having to run it over apache on the webserver. I think mibbit is an examble of this.

Superman0X
02-01-2011, 12:56 PM
How about a way to have IG/Forum chat, so that you can chat with players in game via the forum?

LiTos456
02-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Litos,

There are options that combine the two together. An iframe of irc chat rather then having to run it over apache on the webserver. I think mibbit is an examble of this.

It is possible the vB supports a native shoutbox mod, so doing so is not needed.

BigX
02-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Shoutboxes should be mandatory on all forums. Yes they attract spam but atleast that detters the spam from the forums and post with not much relevance end up in there.

EdwardTheGreat
02-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Perhaps a shoutbox should be implemented, but limited only to members and not guests? And perhaps even including a spam filter whereas you type the samething more than 5 times you are blocked for a minute or so, gradually increasing over time as you spam more.

doomkid98
02-06-2011, 08:12 AM
i think its a great idea. it offers oportunities for people to add their own perspective to casual discussions withought having to creat or post in a thread all the time.