PDA

View Full Version : Terrain destruction!

Zary
01-23-2011, 12:41 PM
One thing i valorate a lot in a game is that, destruction. Not meaning gore or explosions, but permanently terrain holes because of a catapult and things like that. Aafter a battle, and while a week, (srry my english) you must see corpses and burned terrain and holes and things like that, i mean not for ever, but for a few days at least!

How do you see it? :rolleyes:

Froody42
01-23-2011, 12:51 PM
I don't think it's that important for a fantasy game like this where there isn't that much that could cause significant terrain destruction. Only catapult rocks could cause small craters, and that's about it.

It's different with games like Dawn of War, where there are artillery shells flying around constantly.

luizeba
01-23-2011, 01:49 PM
But a detail like this make the game more realistic :P

pkdavid
01-23-2011, 02:01 PM
I am not an expert but I think it must be very difficult to program, especially in an MMO, wait for an answer programmer.

Karl-Heinz
01-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Well, it is not essential and will not be missed in the game, but it would be awesome to have that level of detail. Initially they can not put up, but developers can add this in a future expansion/patch.

Narfi
01-23-2011, 03:03 PM
fantasy or not, some remains around the field after a big battle would add atmosphere to it.

Corpses, burned down siege equiqment etc.

darkviju
01-23-2011, 03:10 PM
It would be good to see how's everything after a battle, but I also think it's diffcult to program that (I think Crysis for example doesn't have craters).

Joseph Visscher
01-23-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't think it's that important for a fantasy game like this where there isn't that much that could cause significant terrain destruction. Only catapult rocks could cause small craters, and that's about it.

It's different with games like Dawn of War, where there are artillery shells flying around constantly.

Thats pretty much hitting the nail on the head right there. Would be hardly seen, there are much better things we could add which would be, such as more realistic knock-back and even soldiers flying/falling off walls to their deaths.

We are going to have fully destructible walls in the game, this should feed your lust for now Zary when you will have to repair your walls and buildings.

Zarachas
01-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Yeah would be cool with realistic knowbacks, dazed soldiers wandering around and such. people on fire after being hit by a fireball :) Those effects are always nice.

Gongora
01-24-2011, 08:21 PM
The ability to literally rip apart your enemies buildings and walls alone is quite entertaining, that alone is reason enough to attack someone! Tho terrain destruction would require a ton of work that really is not overly needed but destruction of trees and flora would be interesting.
Not sure if you will be able to set things on fire like forests surrounding your enemy for example...good move if elves are hiding in the trees xD!

Refleax
01-24-2011, 08:37 PM
The ability to literally rip apart your enemies buildings and walls alone is quite entertaining, that alone is reason enough to attack someone! Tho terrain destruction would require a ton of work that really is not overly needed but destruction of trees and flora would be interesting.
Not sure if you will be able to set things on fire like forests surrounding your enemy for example...good move if elves are hiding in the trees xD!

Someone has a grudge against tree huggers. :rolleyes:

Seriously tough, breakable walls should be enough for now but who knows what we may see in the future.

Winnosh
01-24-2011, 10:08 PM
one thing which would be able to leave damages like that are obviously magical attacks as well as seige engines. I would think damage such as that would hamper troop movements.

Desthin
01-24-2011, 11:28 PM
Being able to use your environment to your advantage would be really neat tho, destabilize walls by destroying the ground they are on or something similar, being able to take enemy bodies after fights to launch with catapults to ruin enemy morale would be super cool too. Nothing quite like chucking comrades' bodies to ruin someone's morale!

havoksage
01-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Yeah it would be awesome to have Terrain destruction... or maybe something like Company of heroes... where buildings can be torn down etc.

Zary
01-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Yep is true is very difficult and i have to say that a good destructable walls physics are enough for me, and soldier flying ;) . When i say craters i mean something like company of heroes or similar, of course is not essential! BUt corpses and walls would be excellent! :)

Pilus
02-05-2011, 07:01 PM
I remember terrain destruction in C&C Tiberium Sun, when using artillery. I found it very annoying, because the areas ended up looking very strange and that expansion of bases were impossible (because the holes were permanent).

Ezekiel
02-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Thats pretty much hitting the nail on the head right there. Would be hardly seen, there are much better things we could add which would be, such as more realistic knock-back and even soldiers flying/falling off walls to their deaths.

We are going to have fully destructible walls in the game, this should feed your lust for now Zary when you will have to repair your walls and buildings.

Im all for this, ofc having damaged terrain etc would be nice, there is much better things that they can add to the game to give it a more dynamic gaming experience. Even if the terrain damage is low like people say, after a few wars it will start adding up and would eventually become quite a fair bit, which i could only imagine makin the game require more processing power and taking more space.

Braveman
02-09-2011, 02:55 PM
I would like to be able to cut a path through trees with my catapults to flank an enemy base, or be able to start a forest fire to starve him of wood resources.

Stormeh
02-11-2011, 01:26 AM
there are much better things we could add which would be, such as more realistic knock-back and even soldiers flying/falling off walls to their deaths.
Death animations! dear god yes.They are awesome.

xxxsaxxx
02-13-2011, 03:42 AM
quote+++ nice idea

PeekABunny
02-13-2011, 09:38 AM
I would like to be able to cut a path through trees with my catapults to flank an enemy base, or be able to start a forest fire to starve him of wood resources.

I like this idea. More strategic.

BloodOfDeath
02-16-2011, 01:20 AM
Just destroy the land so he cant build farms...his people will starve ! lol

GIUSEITALIA
02-17-2011, 01:14 PM
if it is possible that the death units remain on the map,it were nice that you can take the death unit and make a huge funeral and it increase the moral of your empire and even the magic points or some like that,or after a battle the enemies faction can help wounded troops like a special unit like the red cross of fantasy ;)

Henry Martin
02-17-2011, 04:41 PM
be able to start a forest fire to starve him of wood resources.

You are able to do this. There should be some info in either the Fantasy Fridays or some threads (sorry I don't remember off hand). There is dynamic fire in the game, where grass, trees, buildings, wheat, units/animals, etc, start on fire or take damage. Things like wheat and trees will loose their resources when burnt.

The fire when spread through forest or the grass will leave the terrain black. So this is some terrain destruction.

Sarkata
02-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Well, it is not essential and will not be missed in the game, but it would be awesome to have that level of detail. Initially they can not put up, but developers can add this in a future expansion/patch.

I'm guessing if not originally programmed into the game code, this would prove to be a rather difficult later addition.

Dunbarclas
02-20-2011, 12:51 AM
I agree with frooty

Neutral884nz
02-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Death animations! dear god yes.They are awesome.

Yes please, sync kills like in Dawn of War 1 & 2 when finishing off an enemy.

cableslice
02-22-2011, 02:02 PM
I don't believe permanent destruction of the terrain is needed in a MMORTS unless it's one of the main components of the game that actually affects how the game is played.

Would be cool though : )

TheTower
02-27-2011, 03:25 AM
Pernament terrain change (like blasting hills, etc.) is not that good in a war-intensive game (as we will end up in a giant hole sooner and later that way). And if it is possible to burn the forests, it would be nice to be able to plant them back too.

lastchancer
02-27-2011, 07:37 PM
i think damaged terrain would still affect the armies and such in battle depending on the siege weaponry and troops fighting. If catapults are laying down fire with boulders and such taht leave craters it could shield your troops from archers if they were in the lip of them or slow down cavalry if they were charging.

Of course i dont entirely know how devastating most things are atm as it seems to be mainly infantry and they dont do much apart from pile up during most battles as they fall :p

Polluxo
02-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Any sort of physics would be a step up in this type of genre. I am not expecting anything too realistic, maybe ragdoll trees and a few flying bodies. Ragdoll trees sounds strange but I think you know what I mean.

hugenhlfan
02-28-2011, 06:57 PM
yeah that would be a task a destructible city is pretty wicked though

Ba'al
03-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Does riding over enemy infanterie work? Like back then in Battle for Middleearth?

Hans
03-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Does riding over enemy infanterie work? Like back then in Battle for Middleearth?

I dont know, but would like it much and could be work in DoF pretty good !!! if pikes could go in the Igel Formation (sry dont know the english word) we would have the same great feeling like in BFME 1 of course ;)

darthplagued
03-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Terrain destruction would be awesome seeing the aftermath of a war. truly be amazing.