PDA

View Full Version : Beta Tester Requirements?

Rhino
01-22-2011, 06:33 AM
Hey just wondering what the people who select the beta testers are looking for as I would really really like to become one of them ;) Also are there any requirements (not hardware or software).

Rhino

Putkonen
01-22-2011, 06:35 AM
People who test the game, instead of just playing for fun and leaving it be, I think thats it simply said. People who contribute and stay active during beta testings are always appreciated, atleast thats what I found out in the testing of Age of empires online.

Rhino
01-22-2011, 05:39 PM
People who test the game, instead of just playing for fun and leaving it be, I think thats it simply said. People who contribute and stay active during beta testings are always appreciated, atleast thats what I found out in the testing of Age of empires online.

So what your saying is that if I got into the beta, it would be my duty to give feed back to the programmers, developers etc?

Henry Martin
01-22-2011, 05:46 PM
So what your saying is that if I got into the beta, it would be my duty to give feed back to the programmers, developers etc?

Of course it is.:) We like feedback, its what we live off of.;)

Gamerfett
01-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Yeah I am pretty sure they want feedback and bugs.

Remember if you do get in and do find a bug when you report it make sure you include steps on how to reproduce the bug.

The best way of doing this is to explain the steps like the person is a total idiot that has never played the game before. It may sound stupid but it really does help. As testers sometimes you play the game more and understand things better then the dev team.

Rhino
01-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Yeah I am pretty sure they want feedback and bugs.

Remember if you do get in and do find a bug when you report it make sure you include steps on how to reproduce the bug.

The best way of doing this is to explain the steps like the person is a total idiot that has never played the game before. It may sound stupid but it really does help. As testers sometimes you play the game more and understand things better then the dev team.

First of all thanks henry and if I do get in I will give my feed back....god i hope i get in. ;(

Secondly thats some real helpful info gamerfett, I will keep it in mind. It would be kind of funny i guess speaking to the people who made it as if they have never heard of the game. Wouldn't really wanna **** them off D; But I woill try that if I get in and find bugs :)

TriggerHappyNDB
01-22-2011, 11:10 PM
As a programmer myself I can vouch for Fett's suggestion of giving the steps that led to the problem, even if you don't think they're connected to the problem itself. Y'see, the funny thing about programs (a large, interconnected series of which make up the game you're playing) is that they always do exactly what you tell them. The unfortunate part is, we don't always tell them the right thing to do.

Thus, we unknowingly tell them the wrong thing, they happily churn out the wrong result, and we're left with a broken program that wags its tail for making a mess on the dining room rug.

All that to say: Beta testing is an integral part of game development. It isn't just a showcase for eager gamers (a nice bonus, though), it's primarily a method for getting a broad range of minds and experiences to help work out the program kinks the programmers may not have noticed were there. By all means, play and have fun, but when you see something weird, report it! Everyone benefits because you helped make the game's release candidate that much better--the devs can fix it before they lose face for shipping it out with the game, and your shiny release-day copy won't have that glitch marring your experience!

Rhino
01-23-2011, 02:54 AM
Thankyou for all of that information. I think I understand what is fully required of beta testers now and am hoping I can become one and live up to its duties. It would be a more rewarding experience as you are directly impacting the quality of the game. :)

luizeba
01-23-2011, 12:43 PM
That's the idea around Beta Testing.

jer.bush
01-24-2011, 06:40 PM
very well explained, im in school for Game Design and we constantly beta test ours and other games and its very important to the game development.and just to recap and add to that post... when beta testing your looking for programming glitches, seams in textures or missing textures, making sure models all look right and animation is smooth and not choppy, and making sure the game play is fun. When I play test a game I play it to break it, try and find the flaws in the game, can you walk through a wall, fall out of the world, what ever the problem its the testers job to find it. Another important tip is if you do find an issue like that try to repeat it multiple times so you can know for sure and gather more information about the issue. Then when explaining the problems try and make it as detailed as possible, where it was at, what you were doing... anything and everything every little bit helps, just try and keep it simple enough so you don't confuse them and they fix the wrong thing. and that's basically beta testing!

As a programmer myself I can vouch for Fett's suggestion of giving the steps that led to the problem, even if you don't think they're connected to the problem itself. Y'see, the funny thing about programs (a large, interconnected series of which make up the game you're playing) is that they always do exactly what you tell them. The unfortunate part is, we don't always tell them the right thing to do.

Thus, we unknowingly tell them the wrong thing, they happily churn out the wrong result, and we're left with a broken program that wags its tail for making a mess on the dining room rug.

All that to say: Beta testing is an integral part of game development. It isn't just a showcase for eager gamers (a nice bonus, though), it's primarily a method for getting a broad range of minds and experiences to help work out the program kinks the programmers may not have noticed were there. By all means, play and have fun, but when you see something weird, report it! Everyone benefits because you helped make the game's release candidate that much better--the devs can fix it before they lose face for shipping it out with the game, and your shiny release-day copy won't have that glitch marring your experience!

Gongora
01-24-2011, 06:49 PM
It is in our best interest as the *players* to help in anyway we can to find any issues or suggestions for the game now before it comes out. I am sure we all are deeply interested and are dieing to see this live, but like all other games that come out its best to have it as ready as it can be for an amazing first impression. Thats why so many players are needed to test so they can get all kinds of feedback on a decent scale to see what works, what we like and what would be cool in our opinion that devs may not thought of.

Rhino
01-24-2011, 07:56 PM
I really do like the idea of trying to actually break the game while playing it as that would be the easiest way to find flaws in the game. Im guessing such things like spamming units or buildings etc would be a good way to find a lot of bad things. I suppose you could also try to make the camera zooom into the ground or something as well.

rebelglitch
01-24-2011, 08:01 PM
when I play test I all was try to do the thing you shouldn't be able to do. like trying to buy with out money, assign armor to the wrong unit, basically do everything you know that should work, then look at the text, the graphics, and remember to always look for glitches even during the biggest battle you've ever been in.

Rhino
01-24-2011, 09:29 PM
when I play test I all was try to do the thing you shouldn't be able to do. like trying to buy with out money, assign armor to the wrong unit, basically do everything you know that should work, then look at the text, the graphics, and remember to always look for glitches even during the biggest battle you've ever been in.

That makes more sense to me since your talking in an RTS style instead of generalising it. Thankyou for your insight. :)

Desthin
01-24-2011, 09:35 PM
I greatly enjoy trying to pick apart games in the sense of breaking them, kinda gives me a sense of accomplishment(kinda weird) when i can utterly break a game. Then i move on to the next thing and try and break that, for me the hardest "breaks" to try and find are something like balance troubles, where something if done a certain way is obviously more powerful than any other way of doing it, i always sucked at them types.

It is definitely a great help to break a game, as long as you come forward and mention it so it can be fixed, using the break to your advantage only is kinda boring in some sense, since your obviously relying on something not correct to leverage yourself above others.

Gongora
01-25-2011, 05:53 AM
I myself have done many beta reports on games of my opinion, noted bugs, future developing problems that may surface and any personal thought on what may need improvment. I would love to write one for DOF aswell, this game here has amazing promise and I already believe it will be a top rank hit!

Vulcanisik
01-25-2011, 02:42 PM
You really want a huge bank of computers using different video cards, motherboards, memory etc because it helps for bug testing. You would be surprised how many games have been completely incombatible with Realtek sound devices because developers are only testing their games on high end systems. Beta testers help to fill in the blanks of a wide frame of hardware.

Shadowhand
01-25-2011, 02:53 PM
In this case :-
copy and pasted from http://dof.reverieworld.com/beta.php

You must meet the following criteria to be considered for testing at this time:

1)

Testers must have a computer that meets the following minimum requirements:

Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7®
2.4 GHz Intel® Pentium® IV or AMD® processor
1 GB RAM (XP), 2 GB RAM (Vista)
4x CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive
2 GB of free Harddisk space
nVIDIA® GeForce 7900 512MB memory or equivalent
DirectX 9.0 Compatible Sound Card

Note: these are not the mimumum requirements of the final game, but what you would need to play this wave of the closed beta.

Information on determining your system specs can be found here.

2)

You must have ten contributive posts in our forums. You can check your post count by going to your profile by clicking on your username in the forum index. If you're low on posts, try looking through past media and discussions and respond to whatever interests you.

TriggerHappyNDB
01-25-2011, 03:49 PM
You must have ten contributive posts in our forums. You can check your post count by going to your profile by clicking on your username in the forum index. If you're low on posts, try looking through past media and discussions and respond to whatever interests you.

Keep in mind that we're on the verge of Closed Beta 5, for which that requirement is no longer in effect. According to LiTos in the top sticky in this forum:

UPDATE: This does NOT apply to all you new members. This was for the email sent out to old registered lurkers during the beginning of Closed Beta 4. If you are new from the 505 announcement, you can still (and should if possible) follow the tips in this thread to post nice posts, but you don't have to do this to get in the beta. Don't take this as a "spam away" notice though, because spam will still not be tolerated.

The mentioned "505 announcement" happened on or around January 17th, so you can rest assured that if you are new to the forums since at least then, you're exempt from the 10 post requirement. Just wanted to shed some light on that, as it seems plenty have no idea. And of course, by plenty I mean those people making tiny little posts to bump their count to 10 haha. I imagine those are a little irksome to the forum mods.

LiTos456
01-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Yeah some clever folks like to post 10 of the same posts in different threads. Attitude like that won't get them in beta, it's pretty disrespectful, but also annoying.

Rhino
01-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Yeah some clever folks like to post 10 of the same posts in different threads. Attitude like that won't get them in beta, it's pretty disrespectful, but also annoying.

Yes it is, I found out about this game because of hearing about the beta. But as a user of the game I believe it is my duty to contribute to the game and not just do what it asks so I can get an early shot at pkaying the game.

You are totally right it is disrespectful. Each and every person who wishes to be apart of the beta should have to prove that they really want to be apart of the community and are not just trying to play the game for the sake of it. We need people who actually give a damn about DoF and not just random people who want to just play or hate on us.

joppe99999
01-26-2011, 05:29 AM
I agree, im also in school for gamedesign, and beta is not for people who only wanna play the game earlier, but for people who wants to help with the game..:D

Carnifexrex
01-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Yeah I'm really hoping to get selected so that I can help shape this amazing game!

Rhino
01-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Anyone know when we will actually be notified if we have gotten into beta or not? Im really anxious at the moment. ;(

LiTos456
01-26-2011, 11:01 PM
You'll be notified around January 28th. That doesn't mean on the 28th specifically, I said around.

Rhino
01-26-2011, 11:36 PM
You'll be notified around January 28th. That doesn't mean on the 28th specifically, I said around.

Okay thankyouu for all your help mate. :) You've probably one of the main forum members to help me understand how the forum works, about the game etc. Just thought I would say thanks. :)

kiklop15
01-27-2011, 10:39 AM
I agree, im also in school for gamedesign, and beta is not for people who only wanna play the game earlier, but for people who wants to help with the game..:D

like you just said, beta's are really not for early gaming but to help the game company fix whats wrong in the game
in my opinion every game should have some sort of beta becuse it usually means that the game will be much more stable than the games that are not tested, so i have my thumbs up you guys ;)

Rhino
01-28-2011, 09:52 PM
guessing i havent got in as it is now the 29th ;( devooo its a pity...

LiTos456
01-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Be patient guys! I promise you you'll get the beta. We're known for being late usually, think of us like Valve, late but good :) Don't worry, you'll get the beta within the next few days.

dayztaurus
01-29-2011, 10:26 AM
I i will get the beta game i swear to my life that me and all my lots of friends will buy the game ! We will test the game day and night till we drop dead ;)

kristofer
01-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Be patient guys! I promise you you'll get the beta. We're known for being late usually, think of us like Valve, late but good :) Don't worry, you'll get the beta within the next few days.

All the greats don't allow time tables to completely govern everything. I personally don't mind when products are late. I know that the time is being spent improving whatever it is I'm anticipating. :D

Rhino
01-29-2011, 06:01 PM

so i still have a chance ;O YAY !!! ;D thanks for making my day ;P

Loose Morals
01-29-2011, 10:32 PM
i've alpha and beta tested quite a few games over the years now and silent gamers are always a problem. people who just treat beta testing as a kind of demo run of a game. the 10 post requirement to get a beta key is a bit silly in my opinion. its hard to talk about something you havent really seen. but rather changing it so you have to post something every day just to keep your beta account, i think would promote people to give regular and proper feedback...oh and btw i mean a post. not a line saying "yes i agree with above or OP" or something like that.

Zarachas
01-30-2011, 12:53 AM
Can't wait. Hope i get selected :) need something to do hehe

Manasky
01-30-2011, 03:33 AM
I will eventually be able to play the full release, which is going to be more polished, and there is also an open beta coming up, but still I'm really hoping to get a beta key. I won't cry if I don't get one of reasons mentioned, but I've followed this game since I started on my BA. Now I'm done with the BA and I'm still having high anticipations for this game. Before, I was the only one talking about this game. Then some of my class mates. Now friends that I've never mentioned the game for has suddently started to talk about this game (we're from Norway). All my RTS friends love the concept! This is the game many of my friends are now waiting for. Also, the fact that you've accomplished four closed beta stages, are having a fifth, and that there is one open beta upcoming, is also a positive tale to tell, in addition to your plans for DLC. Your communication with the community is also a very high plus. And your passion for this game! There's so many reasons for anticipating this game. Even if it's not brilliant, I'm impressed how far you've got, based on the amazing screenshots. Normally I'm fine waiting for a game's release date, but now I'm incredible eager to get my fingers on it before 3rd June, either by the Closed beta or the Open Beta! :D