PDA

View Full Version : Gunpowder! or ?

DeliCious
01-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Where is the line for how far tecnology can progress in the Dawn of fantasy universe ? and where do you think it should be?

RTS's like Dawn of fantasy(Sword and bow Universe) usualy refrelcts human progress through hiistory up to a certain point where a key piece of technology cannot be discovered and the universe such as it is do not progress pass that point. Usually the barrier is set at Pre or after Gunpowder is invented, but also in some cases the limit is drawn at Steampowered engines.

i Wonder tho were do Reverie Studios draw the line?

Konstantin Fomenko
01-20-2011, 07:53 PM
i Wonder tho were do Reverie Studios draw the line?

I guess you`ll find out on June 3rd - or during one of the open beta stages:)

I can`t completely answer this question now - but keep in mind - there are some powerful "weapons' in Dawn of Fantasy. For example - Dwarves are armed with rifles and cannons, and a power wizard can do as much damage on the battlefield - as a ballistic carrier launched missile on the modern battlefield.

LiTos456
01-20-2011, 09:31 PM
For example - Dwarves are armed with rifles and cannons,

Oh boy, Kon that's going to start some confusion I reckon. For those who are wondering, he's talking about hireable mercenaries methinks. Not an actual dwarf race. (Right?)

CrazyMike
01-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Dwarves armed with rifles and canon's. Hmm..

LiTos456
01-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Wait, ignore my previous post. Actually don't, it might still be the mercs, but I just found out they announced (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=39724&postcount=76) Dragons and Dwarves (D&D lol) as possible expansions after release.
Well then.

Alex Walz
01-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Kon's very much referring to mercenaries.

LiTos456
01-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Okay, I was right then.
Seems fitting for them to use guns. Kind of steampunkish too.
Oh man, I just got a great idea for a mod. Steampunk skin!

Daft
01-21-2011, 01:58 AM
If you made a Steampunk mod for this game I think I might die of awesome.

SonicMonkey
01-21-2011, 08:16 AM
I could see guns in limited form as some sort of speciality for a given race. IE Dwarves get muskets instead of archers / crossbowmen. And they get cannons instead of catapults. While I can see them as more powerful, you make the fire rate slower on them and make them possibly less accurate for balance.

Negthareas
01-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Well, from personal experience, catapults are [thankfully] not very accurate. If they were it would be a curse to archers, like the catapults in BFME were. A playere could just bring a couple of those up, protected by pikemen [anti-cavalry] and clean out the entire enemy fortress.

Also, cannons fire way faster than muskets. I don't know why people don't ever get that point. Hence, muskets were almost always used in volleys [large numbers].

Still, I think that muskets and cannons could easily fit into the game in a balanced manner...

Wait, could you put merc dwarvish cannons on a ship? That would be awesome!

LiTos456
01-21-2011, 02:42 PM
If you made a Steampunk mod for this game I think I might die of awesome.

I'll get on it then!

Hurryforcurry
01-22-2011, 01:40 PM
I think to have a fun and effective gameplay with gunpowder, they should do something like the Total War series, or AOEIII.

Barca
01-23-2011, 01:46 AM
I really hope they let you use guns in this game because honestly there is nothing lamer than a wizard yelling magic missile into the darkness.

Desthin
01-24-2011, 10:50 PM
I think gunpowder weaponry was a very important part of the evolution of fighting, granted there are quite a few of them, but these sort of weapons still had/have some pretty significant drawbacks and faults so they are by no means a perfect weapon over say a crossbow and the like, they may be more modern but doesnt mean they are the be all and end all.