PDA

View Full Version : When offline

Dreadnought
01-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Well I read that your Kingdom continues whilst your offline, presumably building and resource gathering, which is cool but will your units continue to travel and scout whilst your away from the world?

I was also wondering about timescales, for instance how long will it take an army or a scout mounted or otherwise to travel large distances, or in real terms how large is the world?

Whilst your off line can your world be attacked so when you come back its in ruins?

Just some general queiries. If theyre dumb and already answered somewhere then please point me in the right direction.

bravekilla
01-20-2011, 10:06 AM
im actually curious as well...

Dameeda
01-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah would be interested in this also, sounds quite confusing if you are offline. possibly its like AOE online where your area is active online but is not "active" in the open world.

edueduedu93
01-20-2011, 10:49 AM
I think that your city can be only under attack when you are conected if not it will be impossible to mantain a city:mad:

SonicMonkey
01-20-2011, 11:14 AM
There isn't really a great way to handle this. If you allow a truely persistent world...then you should be able to be attacked while logged off the game. But if those cases, how effective are your armies / cities at defending themselves? if you don't allow it then it would be simple for people to log off before a battle or something.

GPS51
01-20-2011, 11:17 AM
People can choose to log off before an attack but they will have to pay a price to the attacker to make up for it.

Dreadnought
01-20-2011, 12:15 PM
There isn't really a great way to handle this. If you allow a truely persistent world...then you should be able to be attacked while logged off the game. But if those cases, how effective are your armies / cities at defending themselves? if you don't allow it then it would be simple for people to log off before a battle or something.

Yeh there is a question mark here I guess. Whilst as you say it would not be a persistant world and cities or kingdoms should not just dissappear when your offline, but if they stay then you need some kind of effective defence otherwise you would never dare sleep, or god forbid take a holiday. Then only full time players can do well, but from the other point of view you would not want to keep taking your army to atack another kingdom only to find they are not online time after time and their city mcannot be attacked

Dreadnought
01-20-2011, 12:17 PM
People can choose to log off before an attack but they will have to pay a price to the attacker to make up for it.

Do you have this information GPS51 or is this a guess. If its fact it seems one way round the problem, but what if as i posted above you are not about to be attacked but you take a weeks holiday, will you come back to a kingdom in ruins or what exactly?

GPS51
01-20-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm simply reiterating what has been stated before. That when attacked you have the option to fight, pay the attacker to leave or log off which I "believe" includes paying them but I don't know for sure on the third option. If you leave for a week the peasants will be busy till you fill up your storeroom but not much will happen beyond that. (At least going by current info) I suppose they could add meteor showers later on :D

http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=34318#post34318

Read the FAQs slowly and you'll discover most answers. It may take a couple of readings though. There's a ton of info in there.

nailsnchains
01-20-2011, 02:04 PM
For the question about scouts resuming their journey while logged off,

"Q: What does it mean to have a persistent kingdom?
A: Your kingdom will remain virtually as you left it the last time you changed. Your units will still be spaced how you had them, any techs you researched will carry over, and your customized stronghold will be just as you left it, awaiting your command. However - your economy and resource will continue to grow, as will anything you tasked before signing out. Even when a player is offline, their homeland will still be in development with the worker units still gathering resources and finishing constructing any buildings tasked shortly before logging off. Although, the gathering, construction, and training rates are significantly slower than in the fast-paced Skirmish modes."

From the game FAQ

Dreadnought
01-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Cheers fellas, hopefully that will work. We'll have to wait and see then.

Narfi
01-20-2011, 02:56 PM
doesnt sound to bad.

i just hope that the game wont turn into a *wait till someone is offline* game like it is in many browser games.

Rycon
01-20-2011, 03:46 PM
This would is a very good system if of course when the player is offline they cant be sieged/attacked.

Henry Martin
01-20-2011, 03:53 PM
doesnt sound to bad.

i just hope that the game wont turn into a *wait till someone is offline* game like it is in many browser games.

It wont as when you log off no one can attack you.

Kauu
01-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Sounds very interesting. I can't wait to see how all this plays out.

Konstantin Fomenko
01-20-2011, 06:40 PM
There isn't really a great way to handle this. If you allow a truly persistent world...then you should be able to be attacked while logged off the game.

All of us have to wake up for work, school, and so on - we really didn`t want to add the stress to wake up and see your town in ruins:D

Dawn of Fantasy is persistent in all aspects of gameplay other than PvP. Player vs Player or AI vs Player combat is only allowed while your online - and feeling up for a 20+ minute battle.

Otherwise - as have been mentioned in this post - you could simply pay off the attacker - spending some of your hard-earned resourced for an hour without PvP.

Sure - some may say this is not entirely realistic - but there is so much more you could do in the Dawn of Fantasy world - outside of PvP, that we`d rather have you thinking about - the next PvP or PvE battle, fortification upgrade or a quest you`lll do during you next time online, without having to worry about finding your empire in ruin.

There is a famous saying - @#$% happens - not in The Dawn of Fantasy:) At least now while your enjoying your 8 hours of sleep:P

GPS51
01-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Sounds like an excellent ballance for online play. Any ideas Kon on how the pay off will work? A flat fee.. a percentage of resources on hand?

Wyzak
01-20-2011, 11:40 PM
I think they will be able to make it work, provided they don't make it too easy for people to slip out of being-attached by logging off when they see an army approaching. It would also be annoying if you can't log off at all because you are hit by wave after wave after wave of attackers. If that is the case you will basically have to surrender gold, which I don't think would be right. Maybe they should add a time-limit between attacks which you can optionally waiver if you have lots of time and are in the mood for a war!

GoGoCactusMan!
01-20-2011, 11:44 PM
An idea I've always had for something like this is to have a system where if someone enters my territory, I get an e-mail or a text about it, so I can get back home and try to set up some sort of counter offensive before they get to do any real damage.

It would be nice to have some sort of hardcore option where in this would be the case. Your lands are up for taking if you are away, and whatever automated defenses you have (defending armies and NPC's) kick on to take up whatever defensive options you've left them until you return.

Perhaps, when you log back in, your hero avatar could help swing the battle back to your favor as you take full control over your defending armies?

Thats a dream. Getting a text/e-mail while out picking up groceries, rushing home to defend my land. That would be intense.

Dreadnought
01-21-2011, 01:10 AM
All of us have to wake up for work, school, and so on - we really didn`t want to add the stress to wake up and see your town in ruins:D

Dawn of Fantasy is persistent in all aspects of gameplay other than PvP. Player vs Player or AI vs Player combat is only allowed while your online - and feeling up for a 20+ minute battle.

Otherwise - as have been mentioned in this post - you could simply pay off the attacker - spending some of your hard-earned resourced for an hour without PvP.

Sure - some may say this is not entirely realistic - but there is so much more you could do in the Dawn of Fantasy world - outside of PvP, that we`d rather have you thinking about - the next PvP or PvE battle, fortification upgrade or a quest you`lll do during you next time online, without having to worry about finding your empire in ruin.

There is a famous saying - @#$% happens - not in The Dawn of Fantasy:) At least now while your enjoying your 8 hours of sleep:P

Thanks for clearing that up Konstantin, that sound a reasonable compromise and it does need to be a compromise becase it can not be all things to all people. Not entirely realistic true but it could never be totally realistic anyway. Muych though I enjoy battles I like the idea of building up the kingdom in other ways as well.

Dreadnought
01-21-2011, 01:15 AM
An idea I've always had for something like this is to have a system where if someone enters my territory, I get an e-mail or a text about it, so I can get back home and try to set up some sort of counter offensive before they get to do any real damage.

It would be nice to have some sort of hardcore option where in this would be the case. Your lands are up for taking if you are away, and whatever automated defenses you have (defending armies and NPC's) kick on to take up whatever defensive options you've left them until you return.

Perhaps, when you log back in, your hero avatar could help swing the battle back to your favor as you take full control over your defending armies?

Thats a dream. Getting a text/e-mail while out picking up groceries, rushing home to defend my land. That would be intense.

That may well work but if your away for a longer period it could spoil your enjoyment of the game, like konrad said you dont need the stress of the game adding to uyour real world life. Plus I work away from home so it would be impossible for me. Also dont forget people live in different time zones so unless they are going to split the servers then I may never see you in the game.

Fenix
01-21-2011, 06:04 AM
This is a great questins, y wait how the creator do this can doing

JurassicPork
01-21-2011, 06:55 AM
I think if its a truly persistent world some element of being attacked whilst offline needs to be there. Being able to log off to prevent being sacked by an incoming army would ruin things but I think you have to maintain some sense of vulnerability when you are not online. Maybe limiting the number of times you can be attacked whilst offline would help? I would feel comfortable setting up strong defences and having a large garrison of troops before I log off and there would be a sense of pride if my automated defenders could hold off a human opponent once or twice.

Negthareas
01-21-2011, 08:25 AM
There are not waves of attackers, per se. Armies move around on the world map, and cannot initiate an attack unless, 1 - they are at the location, and 2 - the people they are attacking are not already in a battle. Thus, if you pay someone off, you can go right offline, since there is virtually no chance of another army being right there. I "believe" that there is a timer too, so that one player cannot repeatedly attack and drain you.

GoGoCactusMan!
01-21-2011, 11:41 AM
That may well work but if your away for a longer period it could spoil your enjoyment of the game, like konrad said you dont need the stress of the game adding to uyour real world life. Plus I work away from home so it would be impossible for me. Also dont forget people live in different time zones so unless they are going to split the servers then I may never see you in the game.

I agree with the time zones and stress factor, but I'm still longing for a more interesting system when I'm offline rather than the no ones home scenario. I'm sure through play testing, more of this will get hammered out before release.

--

Dreaming some more though, I would still love to have this as an option. Maybe even as a server of its own that people could choose to play on, like a hardcore mode. If you cant get back home to do a full scale counter attack, maybe you could log into the website and use some very basic kingdom management tool to recall an army to join the fight if they are within a reasonable distance of where you are being attacked. Or perhaps use this website basic management tool that I suggest to at least fortify your men in a way that would make the attacker at a severe disadvantage, even if he were fighting a AI controlled kingdom at the moment.

atsumok
01-22-2011, 08:04 PM
If u can get attacked offline they should only be able to do so much damage to you they shouldn't be able to destroy your whole city IMO

hawkravengold
01-30-2011, 12:14 PM

This is an excellent point, and I'm sure that this has come up several times in the course of development. If you log out and can't be attacked, then what's the point of it being persistent, but if you can be attacked while logged out, how will you win if you're not there?

Joseph Visscher
01-30-2011, 04:18 PM
7th hour at work:
"Yea I beat that Dragon Slayer Quest last night, hah, I don't know what I'm going to do tonight, can't wait to play dawn of fantasy again."

Gets home and boots on his computer:
"I wonder if my second layer of stronghold walls are complete?"

Gets ingame to find his entire stronghold is destroyed, inflames, everything is dead:
":eek: "What? Pfft Screw this game. Whats the point of doing anything if your just going to be destroyed when your not even playing. How is that fair."

Just a short story about bad game design.

SACancel
01-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Sounds like this could really be a problem for people without the time to pop in or stick around to play. Either way the bugs will get ironed out with a few weeks of testing.

OniKenji
02-03-2011, 07:30 PM
im also curious about this

Dreadnought
02-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Sounds like this could really be a problem for people without the time to pop in or stick around to play. Either way the bugs will get ironed out with a few weeks of testing.

No I dont think it will be a problem, if you read Joseph Vischers little story he kind of answers that :)

Pilus
02-05-2011, 05:40 PM
When I first read about the game I feared that you could be attacked etc when offline. I have played Travian at some point and the part about being attacked while being away really turned me away from the game. I am very happy to see that your kingdom is more safe when offline.

Wolfpack
02-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Skill training has been done in games like EVE, so im interested as well to see of this works out.

doomkid98
02-06-2011, 08:10 AM
hopefully the cosen solution for this wont break the game too much as it has great potential

KingofPain
02-06-2011, 04:25 PM
if you are being attacked by a lower / higher level player than you, you need to pay more or less :cool:

Noel Bohac
02-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Just a short story about bad game design.

Truth, this is really a worthy post. I get what you guys want no doubt about it, but to implement it would be fail at allot of levels. However, I personally believe in an expansion or update we could do something like an area of dispute. Where alliances (guilds ) would fight over a major block of land holding multiple towns, resources etc that can be sacked at anytime. Something like this would be a bit more doable just because it would be a controlled effort by many not just one or two people.

Thou these are "my personal opinions" and in no way reflect those of Reverie World Studios, 505 games or any subsidiarity there in. (great concepts come from great discussions!)

cyril360
02-07-2011, 03:19 PM
is possible destroy a player entire city (logged on) or conquer the city for the attacker?

Noel Bohac
02-07-2011, 03:23 PM
is possible destroy a player entire city (logged on) or conquer the city for the attacker?

The player is never totally destroyed. (see fantasy Friday postings and FAQ) but to sum, basically if you attack a players main keep and looses , he takes a great amount of resources hits and damage to all his structures that happened in the battle. So there is rebuilding and basically trying to pull himself/herself back out of starting mode ;)

However , a player is never fully Knocked out of the game per say. So destroyed, sure, knocked out of the game no. Effective in game play for the next few days to come back at you? highly doubtful, but then again he/she could have an alliance and seek vengance. This game has more then just the "I attack this guy and ..." I can tell you this much, I will definitly have "Friends" in game ;)

cyril360
02-07-2011, 03:43 PM
The player is never totally destroyed. (see fantasy Friday postings and FAQ) but to sum, basically if you attack a players main keep and looses , he takes a great amount of resources hits and damage to all his structures that happened in the battle. So there is rebuilding and basically trying to pull himself/herself back out of starting mode ;)

However , a player is never fully Knocked out of the game per say. So destroyed, sure, knocked out of the game no. Effective in game play for the next few days to come back at you? highly doubtful, but then again he/she could have an alliance and seek vengance. This game has more then just the "I attack this guy and ..." I can tell you this much, I will definitly have "Friends" in game ;)

it ll be fun getting some friends start bullying player without alliances

neapliGamer
02-07-2011, 10:16 PM
here's the answer i found @ FAQ

Q: Can you opt out of a fight?
A: Yes, but it costs resources. If you opt out, the attacking player cannot challenge you again for a predetermined amount of time.

Q: Can my stronghold be attacked when I'm offline?
A: No, your stronghold will remain untouched.

Q: What happens if a player leaves or signs out in the middle of a skirmish?
A: It will be counted as a resignation, and that player will be forced to pay tribute to his or her attackers.

hope it helped :o

neapliGamer
02-07-2011, 10:22 PM

Q: What happens once you conquer a NPC or another player's stronghold?
A: The stronghold will revert back to the defender; however, you will be able to loot conquered strongholds for lots of resources
:D