PDA

View Full Version : Showcase: Orcish Armor Upgrades

Alexander Flegler
03-15-2008, 04:13 PM
We are proud to show you two Orc units, the Slayer and the Impaler and their upgrades. Every upgrade is researched seperately and doesn't have to be researched in a certain order (like the pictures could suggest).

You can see a total of four different upgrades to the Slayer: Spaulders (increases slash armor), Helmet (increases crush armor), and Shield (increase pierce armor).

http://www.reverieworld.com/screenshots/art/slayers.jpg

There are two different armor upgrades to the Impaler: Spaulders (increases slash armor), and Sallet (increases crush armor).

http://www.reverieworld.com/screenshots/art/impalers.jpg

crex719
03-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Wow these upgrades not only look cool but u can put in any order. Nice!

Jean=A=Luc
03-16-2008, 07:14 AM
That looks very nice. It's great how you can prioritize, if you're playing vs. elves shields are probably what you'd want to get before anything else, against humans, slash armour is probably a good first choice etc.

Village Sock
03-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Looks really nice. loving how you can choose which upgrade you pick first. Will definetly help with strategy when your against certain opponents.

jap88
03-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Still looking good. I have to echo everyone else in saying it's cool to be able to choose the upgrades, and that the upgrades actually have a noticeable effect rather than just saying a modifier on the unit sheet on the toolbar.

Puppeteer
03-16-2008, 01:02 PM
wow... hmm, gotta think of something original... eh, brilliant detail! :D

Darvin
03-16-2008, 01:45 PM
My only concern is that it looks like it would be difficulty, if impossible, to differentiate the three different impalers at a distance. The upgrades are rather small and difficult to see. I think you need to do something to make that more obvious at a larger scale (maybe add a colourful section to that shoulder pad to make it stand out, and some spikes or other stylish shapes to the helmet to make it stand out. I notice you have the spikes on the added to the slayer to make the helmet more obvious; something along those lines would be good. That said, the shoulder-pads may also be difficult to see at larger distances.

I think these look absolutely awesome, and the idea of having specialized upgrades may work out quite well.

frankein_fish
03-16-2008, 02:02 PM
My only concern is that it looks like it would be difficulty, if impossible, to differentiate the three different impalers at a distance. The upgrades are rather small and difficult to see. I think you need to do something to make that more obvious at a larger scale (maybe add a colourful section to that shoulder pad to make it stand out, and some spikes or other stylish shapes to the helmet to make it stand out. I notice you have the spikes on the added to the slayer to make the helmet more obvious; something along those lines would be good. That said, the shoulder-pads may also be difficult to see at larger distances.

Or you could make some kind of a big symbol, like a sword if it has slash armor, a klub if it has crush armor etc.
kinnda like the dawn of war symbol's for cover and negative cover

iceblast
03-16-2008, 03:59 PM
nice work guys

Alexander Flegler
03-16-2008, 04:09 PM

I think these look absolutely awesome, and the idea of having specialized upgrades may work out quite well.
This is true but right now these upgrades apply to all Slayer units for instance so you don't have to distinguish an unupgraded Slayer from an upgraded one. It is possibly subject to change though; maybe in the final version the battalions/hordes will get these upgrades seperately (like in BFME), but that's due to balancing.

SPARROW94
03-16-2008, 04:09 PM
FINALY orcs are on da spotLIGHT...MAYBE DRAGOONS SHOULD BE REVEALED SOON

The Witch King of Angmar
03-20-2008, 08:24 AM
I would like seeing that. I'm not even going to play orcs but the upgrades are impressive looking.

LordSlayer
04-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Witch king, are you saying you won't even try orcs, even if it is only to know their weakness and to learn how to own them?

welshie
04-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Omg why make it soo easy to see upgrades why not be surpised when attacking and shields will be a big give away and plus i would rather look in depth/zoom in on attack/defence so i can see what im facing any way.....

The Witch King of Angmar
04-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Just because you see they're upgraded doesn't mean your at a disadvantage.

Neotyguy40
04-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Wow, that is awesome... I can't do anything as good as that in my 3d renderer...

Puppeteer
04-19-2008, 06:46 AM
If the upgrades were too subtle then how would it improve them? A big shield for an ogre would obviously give them a huge advantage in defence rather than an inconspicuous spikey one.

LordSlayer
04-21-2008, 03:27 PM
A big shield for an ogre would obviously give them a huge advantage in defence rather than an inconspicuous spikey one.

Unless the spikey one did stabbing dammage against melee attackers :eek:

Puppeteer
04-22-2008, 10:59 AM
huge advantage in defence
can you read?

Neotyguy40
04-25-2008, 05:08 PM
can you read?

It's like counter damage... Or the spikes can just be shock waves...

The Witch King of Angmar
04-25-2008, 05:45 PM
I'd rather have counter damage. They should do extra against horses if trampled.

Neotyguy40
04-25-2008, 06:15 PM
I'd rather have counter damage. They should do extra against horses if trampled.

Poor horses... But I bet they would stop if they get to close to something... I mean, the AI is going to be realistic.

LordSlayer
04-26-2008, 07:05 AM
Poor horses... But I bet they would stop if they get to close to something... I mean, the AI is going to be realistic.

You should still be able to charge pikemans, even if its suicidal and totally stupid.

The Witch King of Angmar
04-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Of course. If they were weak enough you could maybe win.

Grizzlez
04-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Wow the models and textures look awesome. Can't wait to see some animations of the orcs in battle-in bfme they were pretty neglected but still fun to use in a mass spam :p Just glad your using orc for some strategy so the better players can use things like this to their advantage.

LordSlayer
04-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Of course. If they were weak enough you could maybe win.

Hoppefully, when you charge them from the back, they won't take any dammage, because that would be totally irrealistic.