PDA

View Full Version : Age of Empires Online

Weavel
12-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Age of Empires Online is a Robot Entertainment developed RTS game with a persistent-online capital city. Not much has been revealed to the public about this game, other than the Online feature and the "Ancient Era" setting. Closed Beta testers(of which I am one) have been asked to ask around and gather public opinion on the title. I figured this would be a good place to ask, considering people here have probably played at least one "Age of" title, and because DoF is an MMORTS.

Age of Empires Online (http://www.ageofempiresonline.com)

Kire
12-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Its teletubies under cover of great game title. This crap does not deserve to have that name and does not relate by anything to AoE to be called so. Its original name is Age of Teletubies Online. And i hate the manipulation of devs or whoever is in charge thinking because of the name more ppl will play it.... In the end its just one more sucky travian (like stronghold online). <-here is my opinion

GPS51
12-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Hehe. I hope to get into the beta.. but yeah it's hard to see how they're continuing the great traditions of age of ... games. We'll see. Age 3 wasn't as good as age 2...and had horrific balance problems throughout online play.

szebus
12-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Hmmm, AoE:O online is not a browser based game, but instead it is a downloadable game in what you build your village what has nothing to do with the game-play and battle on coop missions like in reghular age of empires building in the mission you're base and so on. Oh yes, it has pvp to but his is the same as you remember from regular age of empires multiplayer games.

nickson104
12-27-2010, 07:05 AM
I was very interested... until I saw their trailer... It does look like AoE for kids...

They stylised what shouldnt have been stylised, I would play with AoE1 graphics more than I would them...
It just seems to me they want to mock the franchise... I cant believe they are reducing such a good franchise to this...

szebus
12-27-2010, 07:15 AM
I guess business is business and they want to capture more people to play. Now that they have a lot of age games, it is time to make one free for kids and families with micro-payment as they have nothing to loose but to win more money for a next age project. :)

Btw, I personally like the cartoonish style and would even like, later, to have a cartoonish patch even for DoF, of course not affecting the gameplay just the look of the game. I like cartoons.

Henry Martin
12-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Yeah I agree with you szebus, I like the are style for the game. Now the gameplay, well I'm not a fan of. They do have the traditional base building, but that only happens on quests. You home city really is just used for tech tree upgrades, items and quests.

I for one am tired of constant base building in games (starcraft, AOE, and most other rts games). Every new map you do you have to make a new base. I like having one persistant base that makes units at and sends them out to do quests(or missions for singleplayer). Thats why I'm a fan of the blitzkreig series, you don't make any bases, you get a fixed amount of units to use and a limited amount of reserves to call in. The persistant homecity is actually the main reason I like DOF.

Weavel
12-27-2010, 03:20 PM
I think the homecity could be more involved, it's more customizable than in AoE3, but it lost some functionality as well. The art-design doesn't bother me at all, it seems more like AoM to me this way.

Gameplay wise, out on quests and such, it plays more like AoK with a few AoM/AoE3 improvements. It certainly feels more refined. And it's not gonna be subscription based so that's a plus.

Bamboocha
01-20-2011, 06:48 AM
i'm in the beta.. but never got it to work....

szebus
01-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Oh and don't forget that AoE:O is restricted to only for some countries, at least the beta is. What I really like from what is seen on the videos over the net, is the graphics, nice and playful and don't need a well equipped pc to run the game, if i'm correct and they did it with the AoE3 upgraded engine, then it will still work on notebooks and the will bring them enough players of all kind. What I don't like, is the concept of the game. How Henry Martin said "I for one am tired of constant base building in games (starcraft, AOE, and most other rts games). Every new map you do you have to make a new base. I like having one persistant base that makes units at and sends them out to do quests(or missions for singleplayer)."

P.S. It's a hidden wish of mine to play DoF on my desktop Pc with it's actual graphics but for the same DoF to have a secondary client with the cartoonish graphics of AoE:O for I can play it on my netbook to :P. I know they are not gaming platforms but are so comfortable to use them everywhere.

somodimido
01-20-2011, 05:05 PM
back to the roots! age of empires online cant be better than age 2 kings edition! would have been better if they had canceld it and work on age of mythology 2!

Konstantin Fomenko
01-20-2011, 06:30 PM
could have been better if they had canceled it and work on age of mythology 2
Some of our employees worked on Age of Empires/Age of Kings campaigns - and from our point of view - the resurrected Microsoft/Ensemble Studios could have done better. :)

Age of Empires online is definitely our competition right now - especially with the summer release, and we wish AoEO the best of luck. But speaking not as a producer for Dawn of Fantasy - but as a player - I`d rather take bloody full-scale persistent sieges - over cartoonish 2001 like combat. But again - I`m promoting this game - so don`t listen to me and make up your own mind:)

szebus
01-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Age of Empires online is definitely our competition right now.

Hmmm... it may be a competition even if it is a total different game. But then yes, AoE:O is free to play with premium account and DoF is a one payment with the possibility to buy "honour points". I don't think the majority of gamers will go better with AoE:O premium instead of DoF.
Everyone should try AoE:O as it is free and sure will be fun, but considering the previews, it seems repetitive and in the same time DoF is something unique like we newer seen before.

All in all
AoE:O = free cartoon game (the cartoon part I do like) with almost room based gameplay. More of a facebook game.
DoF = real PC game with real graphics and real persistent world.

And the playerbase for each game will be, in majority, different. The same are two WW2 strategy games, one is Men of War: Assault Squad (i'm in the game credits :P thus I wont say that's the better one) and the other, all know, is Company of Heroes. The two games are different from each other and has different playerbase who all tried at least once the concurrent game.

P.S. For me, it is certain that I will play both games, DoF on my desktop PC and sometimes on my Laptop, while AoE:O on my netbook (if they don't change their mind about making it work on a netbook).

manbeast77
01-21-2011, 04:53 AM
Meh, I don't really care for the cartoony games myself, and I prefer gameplay over graphics these days.

olane123
01-21-2011, 12:00 PM
its a shame that microsoft neglected ensemble studios to the point of its colapse considering they made one of best RTS games of all time and then going ahead and rebooting age of empires with this, the theme currently for games like these is to appeal to children like the recent settlers reboot did but game is an insult to the franchise and to the fans (like me) that have enjoyed the games they made thus far

Speaking of age of empires did anyone get the 10p Age of empires 3 deal on Games for windows a couple of months ago

Endothan
01-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Looks like a good game from the trailer. I loved all the Age of Empires games in the past.

InfectioN
01-22-2011, 02:23 AM
I don't like how they made the graphic all kiddy like it makes the original games look better

EpiDemiC
01-22-2011, 02:27 AM
age of empires 2 beats all hands down

massiss
01-23-2011, 01:58 AM
I have actully not played it yet, but i gonna buy it soon.

Lungis
01-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Dawn of Fantasy looks kinda cooler the age of empires online tbh

Bamboocha
01-24-2011, 07:46 AM
yeah, AOE Online is to much cartoonish for me to handle... kinda ruins the whole AOE series.

elcooleo248
01-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Can not wait this game will be AWESOME

Energy
01-28-2011, 05:53 AM
Needs a persistant mmo world.

Tibador
01-28-2011, 04:17 PM
ya the cartoonish graphics is kind of a bummer.

TRANG-Supreme
01-30-2011, 09:01 AM
I think AOEOL will not deliver what MMORTS gamers are expecting to be honest.

After reading the previews and gameplay trailers i have grown less and less excited about it.

Emerson120
01-30-2011, 09:49 AM
I got into the beta as well and I didn't really find what I wanted in an mmorts. Hoping DoF provides what I need!

Mishkin
02-01-2011, 06:03 AM
I was very interested... until I saw their trailer... It does look like AoE for kids...

They stylised what shouldnt have been stylised, I would play with AoE1 graphics more than I would them...
It just seems to me they want to mock the franchise... I cant believe they are reducing such a good franchise to this...

+1 My thoughts exactly, i liked the AoE series and was excited to hear of AoE online, then i saw the trailer and it killed my interest totally

szebus
02-01-2011, 07:59 AM
As someone said on their forums, the game is more like a collectible-customizable-strategy game.

acekaze
02-02-2011, 02:37 AM
Its all the same for me, graphics doesnt matter, what matters more is the gameplay, if the graphics of AOEO are like that, but, the gameplay remains like any other age of empires, i will play it gladly.

tivin123
02-06-2011, 01:31 AM
AOE online its not good idea. They should give us an AOE4

priamus
02-06-2011, 07:52 AM
yes, AOE4 is better idea than a AOE

Hawk
02-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Not to much has been show just yet but ill def. give it a try

master0p
02-06-2011, 05:08 PM
When i noticed a long time ago about Age of empires online i was very excited.
But after getting more info it kinda sucked IMO.
Exactly what henry martin said.
I don't like to repeatly build up a base in an online game.
It was a huge turnoff to see that your capital city upgrades is only used for tech upgrades.
Total fail for me. They just inspire that from the age of empire 3 having a homebase for cards-upgrade.

MacNtoShi
02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Well i like this kind of graphics, it add more fun to the gameplay (atleast for me), im waiting for the OB to come to try it out

lesleyt
02-11-2011, 09:04 AM
I tryied to sign-up but I messed it up I exedantally used the data from my Xbox live account while creating a new gamertag for the game... so now if I login on the games for windows messenger thing... I signin on my xbox live accoun :( so now i cant play...

Greatness101
02-12-2011, 01:04 AM
Doesn't seem that great a game compared to Dawn of Fantasy. Seems cartoonish.

b1tsn1ff3r
02-12-2011, 08:37 PM
this is going to be sick as hell, i so wanna play this!

Godwyn
02-13-2011, 08:20 AM
age of kings was the last age of empires i played. long time ago. i didnt know there was a new 1 out ill check it out

PeekABunny
02-13-2011, 08:46 AM
I used to play their games a lot. I would have to check it out too :)

Godwyn
02-13-2011, 09:20 AM
i just looked at age of empires 3 screenshots. the graphics look like pixel graphics. 10 years ago it would look nice. but now...

Mo72
02-13-2011, 11:06 AM
i don't like this comic style of AOE

darthterror
02-16-2011, 06:40 AM
This cartoon style makes me back... I prefer more dark and realistic graphics, however it is a good idea to resurrect this old classic game

FortyLuck
02-16-2011, 07:20 AM
classic is our life :) but everytime i want something new

TheHoboGod
02-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Yeah I agree with you szebus, I like the are style for the game. Now the gameplay, well I'm not a fan of. They do have the traditional base building, but that only happens on quests. You home city really is just used for tech tree upgrades, items and quests.

I for one am tired of constant base building in games (starcraft, AOE, and most other rts games). Every new map you do you have to make a new base. I like having one persistant base that makes units at and sends them out to do quests(or missions for singleplayer). Thats why I'm a fan of the blitzkreig series, you don't make any bases, you get a fixed amount of units to use and a limited amount of reserves to call in. The persistant homecity is actually the main reason I like DOF.

Have you ever played Panzers: Phase one? You do absolutely NO base building, you just choose your units and do battle until they all die! Also it is very realistic (overheating tanks causes the crew to run out and fight, you can actually see fights going on in buildings, etc.). I also think it is quite old.

szebus
02-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Hmmm, Panzers was indeed a good game but it is being an old one already, I do recommend to WW2 fans, Men of War Assault Squad.

Luink
02-17-2011, 07:36 AM
AOE is meant to be played with decent graphics, not cellshade .-.

Lasher
02-17-2011, 08:43 AM
It depends on what the developer team set out to have as a minimum requirement for people to play the game. If they're trying to get it out to as many people as possible, lowering requirements (and graphics quality) makes that job easier.

Armatus
02-18-2011, 02:53 AM
There will be an AOE online? O_O
Link plz?

szebus
02-18-2011, 06:14 AM
Just tipe in the name on google and it will give you the exact link.

Folsom
02-18-2011, 12:59 PM
A PvP Age of Empires style game would NOT interest me in the least. I would much prefer a co-op PvE game.

swou
02-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Do you get to keep your city in this..? Or is this just Age of Empires?

Zvonzi
04-17-2011, 03:49 AM
Is what status is this game?

WarriorKing
04-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Gratz to those who like the graphics.

Garrelt
04-24-2011, 10:02 AM
it aint relly that great played it for a bit now but it get's rather boring pretty fast :D sorry about my bad english....

Tigressa
04-24-2011, 10:48 AM
I play AEO and it is quite boring and lame, not what I thought it would be. Hope DoF will be different, but it looks promising.

krgwynne
05-09-2011, 03:54 AM
been playing this is a great game for people who only have an hr or so a day for progression as its quest based empire building with a persistant main city that grows as you lvl and quest.

Domgordo
05-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Its currently Beta, after a round 40 hours you are lvl 40 Town, that was it, after this point you get only some Epic Stuff items , have some dailys (1 Time per Day repeatable) and some always repeatable quests, but it is always the same, than u can only build PvP , whats simple means u play a 1v1 or 2v2 against other random players. Often u get Noobs , players with very bad pings or really bad Comps, so you get horrible lag.
Thats make the game not really interesting for players who want play a long time Gameplay.

T3tus
05-10-2011, 04:37 AM
I agree with Domgordo. After about 30 hours i was at level 33, but due to an update all cities were wiped out.. the quests are boring and repetitive, unless you coop them with a friend. most of the quests consist in recruiting more units you can and finally attack the enemies, that are not very strong: you always win at the first attempt in 10-15 min.
sorry for my bad english :)

GrandOp
05-10-2011, 07:56 AM
i thought the game was really cool, and still remains what it was back in the day and more. But find it bad how some people are saying the game is bad just becouse of the cartoon style graphics. i keep hearing how people keep saying its made for kids. well hello. ever play team fortress? or maybe its the fact it dosent have much blood, if you want lots of blood in a game, go and play time shift, you have a blast...

I do understand that some people just are not that keen on cartoony style graphics, its all a matter of opnion, but saying its a bad game becouse of your own tast is bad. OH YE, i was not aiming this post at anyone on this furom.

sorry about rant ^^

andreicde
09-21-2011, 06:54 AM
i thought the game was really cool, and still remains what it was back in the day and more. But find it bad how some people are saying the game is bad just becouse of the cartoon style graphics. i keep hearing how people keep saying its made for kids. well hello. ever play team fortress? or maybe its the fact it dosent have much blood, if you want lots of blood in a game, go and play time shift, you have a blast...

I do understand that some people just are not that keen on cartoony style graphics, its all a matter of opnion, but saying its a bad game becouse of your own tast is bad. OH YE, i was not aiming this post at anyone on this furom.

sorry about rant ^^

It's not only about the cartoony style graphics,but also the fact the game becomes a chore. I tried it myself and it's freaking annoying to build your base over and over again.I realize this is what age of empire series was about, but in an online game it gets boring since there is nearly nothing new there. Plus their video is a joke,they made Greek nation look like Romans

xeovy
09-21-2011, 03:06 PM
I have that game.
buy the Greeks and Egyptians, I have two to 40.
I'm bored of the game.
The mechanics are always the same.
Create city, soldiers, attack, all very fast.
Like all games.
In pvp, sometimes you do a rush of villagers, the villagers will break the buildings.
It is a strategy and play, very different from this.

macamus
09-26-2011, 01:47 PM
I got the game as well... all epiced up on all my buildings and units as egyptian.
It was really fun and entertaining in the beginning but I mainy bought the premium civ to PvP, and pvp there sucks atm..... I as level 40 could get matched up against a non premium level 5 dude, and most people just resign in 2-3 seconds. It also takes forever to get matched up with someone :( thats why I came here to try something different.

The capital you got on AoeO is kinda boering, it doesnt do anything really, just for decoration :/

Magicus
10-11-2011, 04:17 PM
I have that game.
buy the Greeks and Egyptians, I have two to 40.
I'm bored of the game.
The mechanics are always the same.
Create city, soldiers, attack, all very fast.
Like all games.
In pvp, sometimes you do a rush of villagers, the villagers will break the buildings.
It is a strategy and play, very different from this.

I agree there is little strategy in AOE which is a shame and very little economy. Cossacks were designed much better than AOE.

Jams
10-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Don't install it. Don't play it. It's not that good and I uninstalled it from my ext hard drive then it wiped about 80 gb of my stuff.

Gruber12
10-15-2011, 01:37 AM
I enjoy it, i do alot of co-op and some pvp

Abby86
01-17-2012, 04:45 AM
Never tried that online, I think it's right about time to do that. TY for sharing information.

bgardner104
01-26-2012, 07:03 PM
plays more like a facebook type game then dof