PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves Must Rise From The Deep!!

cybroxis
12-15-2010, 07:41 PM
That's right - I'm raising a call for any who want to lend their votes for Dark elves to be released in one of the first expansion packs. TOO LONG have they been opressed and not allowed to have their fair say in the MMO world. To set the mood, here is a story I cooked up a while back for the dark elves:

Once, in a land far gone and long lost to history, a mysterious place existed. There were those that lived below, cast out and shunned by prideful beings above, forever going about their daily torment, living with it as best as they could. Never understood by others outside their slightly fragmented race, as they were thrown down into the pit, they finally had found a family.

With time, old hatreds and old bonds shifted. The roles had been flipped. Their race, banned for millenia, had changed into something not quite Kormin. To be seen would be a horrific site to behold. However, although many saw these creatures as "undead", they are not evil, nor really dead. In fact, it was the "creatures" above, they say, that warped them into their now strange forms. Before, only pariahed by their peers in thoughts and ideas, now they truly were different, able to be marked out physically with the naked eye. not only had they no antennae nor hands, but they also lacked eyes, ironically more aware of their surroundings than those above, who possessed the luxury of light. Their ears, although not extremely large, could compete with a dog's for their pitch. They cupped around at the top and ended in a sharp curve at the bottom, a "v", in such a strange way that was also unnaturally perfect. But the characteristic most noticeable would be the white carapace which surrounds their humanoid form, not quite slimy, but not an exoskeleton either. Not quite invincable, but the equivalent of a shield - it could withstand a broadhead's impact or 2 days in a scorching oven. This skin is the best physical characteristic to represent them. It required understanding of their past and the suffering the Vak'ti endured for so many years, chafing at their very souls until they became as hard as a stone drenched in sunlight for decades. This was also required of them if they were to survive in the bowels of Dera'Mur.

But now, possessed of a single purpose and propogating for thousands of years underneath their oppressors, the Vak'ti were prepared to take back their rightful lands from the Kormin, who had, to the Vak'tis' atvantage, forgotten their existence after all these years. The drums of war were sounded, battle plans laid, and the drills started.

What came next was laid into history, an event to rack the world with its magnitude and intensity for all time....

So raise your voices and let yourselves be heard - who wants the Dark Elves?!!!
:D :D :D

Naivedo
12-16-2010, 07:46 PM
I think the Dark Elves would be great addition to the game. As long as they have some interesting features that separate them from the Elfs in the game. Like undead or dark monstrous minions or the abuse of nature. ;) Corruption of the forest lands would be nice.

I also wanted to say that bright green is a hard color to read. :(

Winterwolf00
12-17-2010, 12:24 AM
If you just wanna copy from the D&D Dark Elves that would be cool. They had a thing for spiders and were a female dominated society.

Noel Bohac
12-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Well as another race, this wouldn't be my main choice it would be my 5th of the races choice. Currently we have elves, humans and orcs. The next logical one is dwarf, from there you go to the more exotic races and dark elves pretty much fit that category allot better then general races.

Just my 2cents, but alas I would want darkelves in the game (even thou I wouldn't play them) but they are that classic "must have" when you reach a racial span in a game beyond your base 4.

-Guardious

cryonso
01-19-2011, 12:49 PM
If the dakr elf race is going to be added, dont make them to similare to the wood elves.

gnoss
01-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Sounds good to me. its not my prefered race, but its definetly a good one.

LiTos456
01-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Why would we need dark elves as the first expansion when we already have regular elves? Seems a bit unvaried, doesn't it?
I'd go for those amphibian things, they were cool.

kingdominic
01-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Why would we need dark elves as the first expansion when we already have regular elves? Seems a bit unvaried, doesn't it?

well it be cool to have high elve,and dark evle ^^ it be epic to see them battle each other on the battlefield

Zorander
01-19-2011, 11:53 PM

I agree, bringing in something totally different then what the game already has would be a better option then a darker version of elves. Such as dwarves or undead.

tomche
01-20-2011, 05:45 PM
i would like to see them eventurly but i think they would be to similar as the elves so would like to see other races first

bishopgunn
01-20-2011, 05:58 PM
To many other races come to mind before dark elves. Variety is king with games like this.

Negthareas
01-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Hmm. Dark Elves fit too nicely in with the undead to have both races going at once. It would either be one or the other, or both together as one. Such a race would be significantly different from the elves to be worth it. Also, perhaps their magic could be different... instead of having air, water, fire, etc.. they could have kinds of darker magic?

Remember, LiTos, why the amphibians were scratched in the first place - they were going to be a never ending headache to balance. If you have amphibians, you have to have water bases, and how could those ever be taken with most of the units as we know them? If it could be pulled off it would be amazing. "IF". Also, how would the amphibian units function on land battles? Would they ever be able to besiege a normal inland city?

In my mind, list of following races should go like this:

Dwarves
Dragons
Then, maybe
Undead

After this, there would be many other possibilities, but... other races would be limited in their scope since not many other races have seen the development in fantasy that all of these other ones have.

Rhino
01-21-2011, 09:30 PM
If dark eleves were built into the game i think it would be cool if they somehow came out of the normal elf faction. They could be the elves who do not agree with the laws or something and they leave the elves thus a new faction and kingdom is created. I know dark elves look different than normal elves so they could be tainted by the dark arts or something ??? ;)

GPS51
01-21-2011, 10:01 PM
I would expect Dark Elves to be on of the first mods ever for DOF. Just wait ;)

LiTos456
01-21-2011, 10:03 PM
We've already decided that the first mod is going to be the Steampunk mod. It has the Litos stamp of approval on it, lol.

vonsteyr
01-21-2011, 11:48 PM
I don't see any reason majorly different factions wouldn't be a good idea. Just look at the differences between Crusader and Arab armies circa 900, or Incan and Japanese armies circa 1400.

I'm not saying "top priority", but you see Elves as a unified race too often (or split into different related races). It'd be neat to have Dark Elves be regular elves who aren't quite so... elegant. Not just dark-skinned angry versions of regular ol' elves, but... well, you get the drift.

I'd give up every Elf everywhere if it meant steam-powered tanks! Steampunk is always welcome!

GPS51
01-22-2011, 12:18 AM
The elves appear (reading the FFs) to be quite different in flavors between sub sects. Perhaps this will make more people happy when we finally play the elven subfactions.

cybroxis
02-01-2011, 05:12 PM
I just have one request for the dark elves: make them cool, don't make them "drool", meaning please don't make them like abominations or disgusting undead creatures - more sinuous, like dark beauty. You know what I mean? - I don't want bulbous elves dripping black bile or darkspawnesque things. ty :P

Also, my suggestion for the dark elves is to have their city underground just like (I am assuming) the dwarves' are, but with less blocky, more elegant and narrow buildings, all dark of course :P

om3n
02-01-2011, 05:19 PM
They'd definitely be a cool idea for the game but them or at least the idea of them goals etc are in many games. You have the Drow in many games or similarly named/themed. The 'dark eldar' would be warhammer's version of a dark elf lol. WoW has blood elves which are portraid to be evil as per conventional standards. Dark elves or the idea of them is in many games play a predominate role in either lore or actual game play. We see this in a lot of mmos. I don't think they're neglected at much at all. To every ying there is a yang lol.

Corpsebloom
02-02-2011, 01:20 AM
I support the addition of Dark Elves to the game. So much better than normal ol' Elves anyday. xD

Dracus
02-02-2011, 12:17 PM
In my own humble opinion. I'd recommend waiting on future expansions for new races. I'd recommend fewer races at the start to make balancing easier. Balance with the races will play a huge factor in pvp and not only that will determine how much fun people will have playing the races they like.

om3n
02-02-2011, 04:56 PM
In my own humble opinion. I'd recommend waiting on future expansions for new races. I'd recommend fewer races at the start to make balancing easier. Balance with the races will play a huge factor in pvp and not only that will determine how much fun people will have playing the races they like.

You bring up a very good point imo. From what ive been reading we shouldnt see much more till some form of expansion(dwarves?) and perhaps dragons sooner. Balance seems to be a make it or break it for a game these days.

arthas242
02-02-2011, 06:22 PM
who need's other race's, when we all know orc's will rule the world in this game :cool:

lamaking65
02-03-2011, 08:04 PM
i dont get the deal with dark elves and why everyone loves them its either elves halfelves or dark elves

wiredpenguin
02-04-2011, 12:45 AM
I've always been partial to the Drow (specifically from Forgotten Realms. They are the ones who worship Lolth the Spider Queen and are matriarchal), but I'm not sure if they should be a separate race or just a faction.

DisgruntledGoat
02-04-2011, 01:37 AM
I like the idea of Drow being part of the game but I have found a few flaws that would arise from their implementation into the game....

First off it seems that there are already other playable races in the works namely dragons and dwarves (atleast from what i read in frequently asked questions thread) I would hate to see two many playable races pop into the game at one time and mess up all the balancing. I think back to when Death Knights were added to WoW, they were fun to use but really over powered in the begining. of course all new content needs tweaking eventually but Drow as of now seem to be a bit of a stretch.

Also Drow primarily live underground with doing surface raids very rarely. This would require the need for a whole new siege mechanic of attacking cave systems since thats where the Drow live. Also the Drow would have to have some sort of debuff applied to them when on the surface since they arent used to the sunlight. I also remember in the Forgotten Realm books that their magic was altered by being on the surface. These could turn into very cool game mechanics however.

I think if the Drow were added to the game in a seperate world with different mechanics suited for cave living that would work fine. The game could even go as far as to add Gnomes and Dwarves in the caves of the underdark for a whole new experience to the game.

odd thing is, as i wrote about why they shouldn't be in the game i ended up ratteling off features that seemed really cool to me >.<

(this is my first post... hope it was helpful)

Skarik
02-04-2011, 07:11 AM
I definitely back this. Dark elves have always been a favourite of mine. D&D Drow were brilliant, and the Warhammer dark elves, especially in Battle March, were brilliant fun to play. ^.^

NobleIre
02-04-2011, 10:27 AM
I agree that dwarves are a much better fit. Dark elves are, I think, regardless of how much you change them still going to be a bit too similar to elves. I'd rather see dwarves and then perhaps something else completely different from any of the other races.

Dark elves might be alright if you made them obsessed with dark magic and thus merged the dark elves and undead concepts - creating a dark elf/undead army.

Dawiichan
02-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Would be pretty cool, I wouldn't mind it. Honestly though, I think there could be other classes first like Dwarves.

Mokhir
02-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Good idea, i support it

MikeDitka
02-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Dark elves would be a good choice. We need another " evil " race.

GPS51
02-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Hmm, there aren't "evil" and "good" races.. each race has "good" and "bad" guys.

PeekABunny
02-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Dark Elves do not have to be considered a good/evil theme. It could just be considered another race with some similar aspects.
I agree that all race have some goods and bads in people; personality-wise.

Lord Shadow
02-19-2011, 04:18 PM
I for one want Dark Elves at some point to be added to the races, though I have to agree that the logical next choice would be Dwarfs.

Neutral884nz
02-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Elves are Elves imo, id rather a new interesting race, such as the dwarfs. Though i would probably prefer Dark Elves over the current ones.