PDA

View Full Version : multiplayer

supagu
02-12-2008, 11:26 PM
any specifics about multiplayer yet for this game?
i think this might be one game where pc and xbox players could play together?
also can you please make it support more than 8 players like the standard RTS (at least on pc)

Darvin
02-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Eight players is the standard for PC; I'd be highly surprised if there were any fewer. Warcraft III actually supported up to 12 players ("technically" you could have sixteen if you pulled some strings in the map editor, but four of them would be "invisible" players that could only be controlled by the AI and wouldn't appear on the allies screen, and it had some weird side effects), and I think that worked quite well. I'd like to see DoF support a large range of players so that future systems could actually take advantage of it.

I don't know about the technical limitations of the xbox when it comes to the number of players in the game or interaction between the PC and Xbox version, so we have to wait and see what Reverie has to say about it.

The Witch King of Angmar
02-13-2008, 02:25 PM
With how big the maps are, I'd love to see 8vs8. That would truly be MMORTS.

Darvin
02-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Sixteen players is something that might be difficult with a huge map and massive army sizes. However, the machines of tomorrow could probably handle it, and a lot of great games do end up being played through multiple generations of machines. I always believe it's worthwhile for a game that plans to endure to build itself so that future machines can actually take the game to new heights.

I think that's a great direction to go, but honestly so long as 4v4 is possible I'm content. We'll see what Reverie ends up doing in this regard.

The Witch King of Angmar
02-13-2008, 03:10 PM
That's the problem though, I don't have a machine of tommorow. :p

SPARROW94
02-13-2008, 05:00 PM
lolz i want a voodoo omen

supagu
02-13-2008, 05:56 PM
i meant 8 is standard but make it more :)
also AI in multiplayer would be great, so we can do humans vs AI
:D

Darvin
02-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Should have that, too. Comp stomp is always nice.

frankein_fish
02-14-2008, 04:54 AM
Yeah i remember the days when i and a buddy of mine slaughterd 6 AI's in supcom:p

The Witch King of Angmar
02-14-2008, 05:50 AM
Same with me and my dad on BFME. :D

SvN
02-14-2008, 06:00 AM
lolz i want a voodoo omen

sparrow, your posts are starting to annoy me. Get off this forum if you cant handle it.

The Witch King of Angmar
02-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Lol, get em' SvN! I agrre though. We should stay on topic better. There are still a ton of things we need more clarification on like online play. We should be focusing on questions and getting more info. on the game than posting crap.

frankein_fish
02-14-2008, 07:50 AM
lol if we start talking seriosly about the multiplayer part im gonna die since im already getting heart attacks of the little info we get now :p

Puppeteer
02-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Same with me and my dad on BFME.
That's not something you hear everyday.
I wouldn't really like to play a 16 player map... 2 reasons really. 1 my machine of the day before yesterday probably couldn't handle it, and 2 I'm not that good at games (I like creating castles rather than figuring out fullproof tactics)

iceblast
02-14-2008, 02:51 PM
also if a guy lags then your seriously screwed. i hope im good at mapping this game...hopefully lol

SPARROW94
02-15-2008, 04:58 PM
sparrow, your posts are starting to annoy me. Get off this forum if you cant handle it.

Nah i change my mind i want an alienware ALX area-51 is TRI nvidia ghraphics card... DONT BE FUSS jeez this is the real world there's always and will be a sparrow94

Puppeteer
02-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Yeah I hope the worldbuilder is good, I like making maps :P

iceblast
02-16-2008, 06:26 PM
how about you don't get anything so i cant play someone annoying who will spam on the online speak. as for the alienware haha i got one

frankein_fish
02-17-2008, 05:38 AM
hmmm Alienware...... nah i'll stick to my good old XPS720:p

iceblast
02-17-2008, 09:06 PM
xps are also good. hopefully sparrow cant get a new computer :D then there might be 1 spam free day.

frankein_fish
02-18-2008, 03:24 AM
lol, nah i dont think sparrow spam that much.
But i understand why some might find it anoying :p

The Witch King of Angmar
02-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Back on topic. Considering how big the maps already are for say a standard 2 vs. 2 imagine how large they will be for a 4 vs. 4 or bigger! I'd like to know how long it would take units to cross those kinds of maps.

iceblast
02-21-2008, 08:04 AM
i hate large maps unless there are loads of players.

frankein_fish
02-21-2008, 12:59 PM
I just love huge maps where you can sneek around the enemy and attack him/her in the back :p :D

The Witch King of Angmar
02-21-2008, 02:11 PM
To me they add more of a strategic feeling to the game by creating more of a risk to leave your base because if someone is attacking it and you are on the other side of the map with heavy infantry, it will be some time before you can get back there in time to defend yourself.

SPARROW94
03-01-2008, 11:54 AM
big maps are annoying as hell in starcraft i got lost and i failed to rush this once guy online ........><

axal011
03-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Id say for those who like small maps,fast battles,or slow but small enough to rush should stick to BFME or other games in that area.. Its the whole point about MMORTS. If you look at all MMORPG's the WORLDS Are HUGE... which is why its massive.. and mutliplayer.... and it should act as a huge map for a realistic way of building an empire and destroying an empire. If a map is going to be small enough for a rush, then there is no point in building an empire, even if the empire is carried over to the next time you login.

SPARROW94
03-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Big Maps Are Annoying.....so Are Long Reply's

Joseph Visscher
04-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Not all maps are massive. and i would not expect 8+ players at once, the map would be to big if we have around 8 give or take.

The Witch King of Angmar
04-05-2008, 11:16 AM
So there won't be any 4 vs. 4 then? Or did I misunderstand what you said?

Neotyguy40
04-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Actually, it's called an MMOrts... That means that there could be hundreds of players online one server. THAT would be awsome.

frankein_fish
04-06-2008, 12:37 AM
yes......... hmmmm gotta give an example
.........ah well the only example i could come up with is Tribal wars :p
But as far i understand this will be kinnda like tribal wars where u build ur own castle on a piece of land. However everything will be better than tribal wars :rolleyes:
Like u acctuly see and can control the battles (Ofcurse else it wouldn't really be an RTS) and u have a much more complex building way.
So it's really only the map system that is common.

Tbeaz161
04-13-2008, 07:05 PM
So how do you think the mmo part is gonna be like? Are we gonna have to go into a lobby and join a game. Maybe it will be like saga were you are always at your home nation until you go join a battle or quest.

The Witch King of Angmar
04-14-2008, 02:45 PM
I'd say there will be a game lobby based on some of the screens I've seen.

LordSlayer
04-21-2008, 07:05 PM
So how do you think the mmo part is gonna be like? Are we gonna have to go into a lobby and join a game. Maybe it will be like saga were you are always at your home nation until you go join a battle or quest.

Let's hope it isn't like that, else people would just make a huge base and harvest piles of ressources between every battle, and people that just play games after games would have absolutly no chance to win.

WearisomeWall
04-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Looks so far like it'll be simple: You login and manage your city, which is part of the huge world.

Neotyguy40
04-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Looks so far like it'll be simple: You login and manage your city, which is part of the huge world.

No, it goes like this:

You start as a farm.
You join a lobby game with 8 people.
The game goes on for a few days until everyone but 1 dies, or the remainers offer a draw.

That's how I heard it will be. Then your kingdom follows you through each game.

WearisomeWall
04-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Ah, sounds interesting; more like AoE3.

Bastiaan
04-22-2008, 08:40 AM
i thought there would be 2 modes 1 is with a lobby and another one is you build a city and that is online in a huge world where players can attack you and you can attack others

LordSlayer
04-23-2008, 06:11 PM
i thought there would be 2 modes 1 is with a lobby and another one is you build a city and that is online in a huge world where players can attack you and you can attack others

You're right, the first one is just a normal rts game were you join in a game, pwn everyone and leave.
In the second one, I bealive that you'll join a base, play a game and after the game, your base is saved. If you lose, your base become (I'm not sure about this) the one you had 2 games before you lost.

Neotyguy40
04-23-2008, 07:35 PM
You're right, the first one is just a normal rts game were you join in a game, pwn everyone and leave.
In the second one, I bealive that you'll join a base, play a game and after the game, your base is saved. If you lose, your base become (I'm not sure about this) the one you had 2 games before you lost.

Nope, like I said before:

Start as a farm
Join a lobby game with a bundle of people
Build, raise army, etc.
The last person who is living wins, unless the remaining players offer a truce.

LordSlayer
04-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Nope, like I said before:

Start as a farm
Join a lobby game with a bundle of people
Build, raise army, etc.
The last person who is living wins, unless the remaining players offer a truce.

Yes but Reverie mentionned something about your base downgrading after a lost, but the exact MMORPG info is still kept secret

Neotyguy40
04-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Yes but Reverie mentionned something about your base downgrading after a lost, but the exact MMORPG info is still kept secret

Yes, but the other rules still apply... Speaking of Reverie, I haven't heard any of them post for a while...

LordSlayer
04-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Yes, but the other rules still apply... Speaking of Reverie, I haven't heard any of them post for a while...

You're right. Wounder what they have been doing lately :rolleyes:

Neotyguy40
04-25-2008, 03:45 PM
You're right. Wounder what they have been doing lately :rolleyes:

I bet they are going into overtime because they are behind schedule... Again...

LordSlayer
04-25-2008, 03:51 PM

I hope they still make the announced summer realese date...

Neotyguy40
04-25-2008, 03:57 PM
I hope they still make the announced summer realese date...

They won't have a release date for a while... Let's wait for the beta first...

Puppeteer
04-25-2008, 04:19 PM

Don't try and taint the name of Reverie!!

Neotyguy40
04-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Don't try and taint the name of Reverie!!

Umm, it already happened... (I've just noticed I use '...' alot)

The Witch King of Angmar
04-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Back on topic, do you think in cw's you could hire mercs. to fight for you in a battle that have a good army if your not there? Say in a big game like a 4vs4.

Neotyguy40
04-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Back on topic, do you think in cw's you could hire mercs. to fight for you in a battle that have a good army if your not there? Say in a big game like a 4vs4.

Well, if there is trading between towns, of course! People will give resources if they can supply soldiers...

LordSlayer
04-26-2008, 07:12 AM

I think they should let you recruit mercs, but they should be strong and expensive so people can't just make a merc army.

The Witch King of Angmar
04-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Of course. Maybe certain clans could just be made up of mercs. for hire.

LordSlayer
04-27-2008, 07:03 AM
Of course. Maybe certain clans could just be made up of mercs. for hire.

Yea, they should be spread out across the map and you have to find them (or defeat a certain number) to be able to recrut them.