PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Screenshots.

Konstantin Fomenko
02-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Gentelmen,

This week screenshots cover our single-player campaign. We`ll be glad to anwser your questions.

Campaign Cinematic. Heroes talking on a stronghold wall.
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/CPN/1.jpg

Front walls of Dagbor stronghold.[b]
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/CPN/2.jpg

[b]Men cornered by Orcs...
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/CPN/3.jpg

Menthorn rebels fort from Chapter 8 - this is what mobile army camps look like by the way.
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/CPN/4.jpg

Konstantin Fomenko
02-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Menthorn rebel camp on fire.
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/CPN/5.jpg

Ropebridge.
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/CPN/6.jpg

Shot of the human capital city.
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/CPN/7.jpg

Forest during cinematic.
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/CPN/8.jpg

The Witch King of Angmar
02-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Sorry Witch King, I can only squize 4 pictures per post, so I had to edit your post and get last two screenshots in here:)

Battelfield in all it`s gory glory.
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/CPN/9.jpg

Cinematic - heroes talking.
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/CPN/10.jpg

Looks awesome as always. A few questions I had are:

1. What are those pictures of those guys heads on the third screenshot at the top left hand corner for? One had a 3 by it.

2. Can you build bridges over water to increase the size of your forts?

3. Can you expand your forts by dragging out the walls or something?

4. Do those subtitles in the black box come up in skirmishes and online matches?

Thanks

Village Sock
02-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Wow. Looks great as ever.
That bridge on the 5th picture just doesn't look safe XD

ash12181987
02-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Wow. Looks great as ever.
That bridge on the 5th picture just doesn't look safe XD

I think I remember that bridge from Indiana Jones ;)

And that screenie that was the wooden castle fort with the dudes pouring out of it armed to the teeth... thats gold guys, pure gold.

The Witch King of Angmar
02-05-2008, 04:21 PM
No problem. One more question. Are the Menthorn rebels available for the men to buy?

PS What do you mean by mobile army camp? Can you rip it down and build it up somewhere else the same way it was?

Thanks

Konstantin Fomenko
02-05-2008, 05:43 PM
PS What do you mean by mobile army camp? Can you rip it down and build it up somewhere else the same way it was?

Pretty much - this is our solution to forward base building. You can read more about this on the DoF website - Army Camps.

Jean=A=Luc
02-05-2008, 06:41 PM
No problem. One more question. Are the Menthorn rebels available for the men to buy?

Do those subtitles in the black box come up in skirmishes and online matches?

They're just elements of the single player campaign/storyline, I don't see any indication they have anything to do with online/skirmish.

Those army camps look pretty elaborate, just like Romans used to build 'em in the good ol' days. :)

frankein_fish
02-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Those army camps look pretty elaborate, just like Romans used to build 'em in the good ol' days. :)

One big diference between the roman and these camps are that the Romans only had one set of wall, and they didn't had siege equipment in the forts plus the Romans prefered to take the battle outside the fort.

Jean=A=Luc
02-06-2008, 02:52 AM
One big diference between the roman and these camps are that the Romans only had one set of wall, and they didn't had siege equipment in the forts plus the Romans prefered to take the battle outside the fort.

I guess it wasn't standard practice but if you remember the siege of Alesia (the final battle of the Gaelic wars) the Romans built two layers of fortifications although each layer was supposed to defend from one side so you could, in a way, look as them as single walls.

And they did use artillery to help the defense of their camps.

They're not the same of course, it's just that the palisades and towers from the screenshots remind me of some images of roman fortified camps I've seen during the years. But I'm sure some of the other armies built them in a similar way too.

monsterfurby
02-06-2008, 06:11 AM
Once again, really great screenshots :)

One thing I wonder though - are the normal dwellings in the city mere decoration or can they also be found in skirmishes and/or fulfill some purpose? I really like the realistic look of those cities :)

SvN
02-06-2008, 07:21 AM
great screens:)

btw, the heroes arms are a bit short:D

Konstantin Fomenko
02-06-2008, 07:29 AM
I really like the realistic look of those cities
Yeah - all these houses are used in multiplayer as well. And that city shot is pretty much what you`ll see in MMORTS multiplayer.

frankein_fish
02-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Nice i look forward to look at my citizen's life's :p :p :D
BTW can they die by age or just war?
(Not that i think any citizen will live untill they get that old)

SPARROW94
02-06-2008, 03:09 PM
id like my orc ruins better we will rip apart human cities in the name of AUIR

The Witch King of Angmar
02-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Auir? Besides, with one of those fully upgraded castles, it looks like they would be difficult to break into.

Darvin
02-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Auir is the name of the Protoss homeworld in Starcraft, in case you didn't know. He's just being silly.

Here's to hoping it's a great story and campaign.

SPARROW94
02-07-2008, 05:05 PM
lolz I love AUIR also with orcs at my command a fully upgraded human castle wont stand a chance

The Witch King of Angmar
02-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Not if I burn it down first with my dragons. :D I can't wait to see that. It would probably be a suicide run with all the archers though.

Iron_Ian
02-07-2008, 11:02 PM
New models are looking great, and I can't imagine how amazing they look ingame animated from the last build of DoF I saw. ^_^

Konstantin Fomenko
02-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Heya Ian! Great to see you still around m8. And DoF sure did come a long way. Drop me a line sometime.

To answer your questions:

1. What are those pictures of those guys heads on the third screenshot at the top left hand corner for? One had a 3 by it.
Hero is Cntrl+3 grouped:)

2. Can you build bridges over water to increase the size of your forts? On certain maps Strongholds will have moats, or river through the city, and you`ll be able to build these bridges.

3. Can you expand your forts by dragging out the walls or something?
You can expand by building another layer of walls, and later by purchasing numerous updates to these walls (towers, bastions e.t.c)

4. Do those subtitles in the black box come up in skirmishes and online matches?
Nope, we use them only in single-player campaign and scenarios. Just curious why do ask?To hit couple more spots here:

Darvin
02-08-2008, 01:29 PM
In regards to subtitles, I always believe there is a difficult balancing job between getting good contrast with the background (obviously the purpose of the black box) without blotting it out. Seeing as having a big interface is out of style these days, there isn't exactly a good place to put subtitles anymore.

I think the black box makes sense in early builds, but the final product should probably aim for something a little more practical and stylish for its subtitles. Even though I have normal hearing, I like subtitles in my games, so I keep them on.

The Witch King of Angmar
02-08-2008, 02:42 PM
I agree with Darvin on that. I think they add to the gameplay more.

iceblast
02-08-2008, 03:02 PM
loooks fantastic.

Konstantin Fomenko
02-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanka for the input guys...allthough I agree that we have to the black box and go in a way similar to Total War sub-titles - just like in a movie. We have a problem - we do have alot of branching dialogues (dialogues where player chooses what question to ask, or what to say. And Black box works best for it:) But yeah - we`ll try to think of something better here.

Puppeteer
02-08-2008, 04:01 PM
the best bit I like is the fog in the canyons... it's perfect! especially with rickety rope bridges suspended over them :) real sense of 3D
oh and the walls of Men shall not fall so easily at the claws of crude barbarians

Jean=A=Luc
02-08-2008, 04:34 PM
I don't mind the black boxes, maybe the frames/edges could be decorated or something but really it's fine...imo...

Terminus_Est
02-09-2008, 02:04 AM
Ex-T! It's me Agamemnon, you know, the reknowed AoK modder and former member of SCN Punk at least for a short time. Good to see you around this place again.:) A few months back, I posted in the Introductions forum asking about you and other members of the old AoKH-based scenario design community knowing that this game design group was founded by AoKH scenario design forummers.

Anyway I was asking about you because I wanted to show you a rather extensive modding project I've been working on recently since I returned to modding back in September. Actually it's more than a mod, it's an actual expansion. Yes, it is now possible to mod not just graphics for AoK, but it is possible to mod stats and even ADD stuff to the game as well, like units, buildings, and Gaia objects.

So this expansion is mainly scenario-design-oriented and it adds all sorts of stuff to the game; new units, heroes, Gaia objects, and buildings, of mainly historical and fantasy themes. It even revives lost units and structures from the beta and alpha versions of AoK. So therefore it is now possible to have dragons and wizards and many classic elements of fantasy in one's scenarios.

By the way, your game is looking rather phenomenal!

SPARROW94
02-10-2008, 12:03 AM
your game is looking rather phenomenal!

Meh the grhapics are a littleout of date

Mgross
02-10-2008, 04:13 AM
sparrow, graphics are out of date because of very long construction time.
I remember when the project was very new - back then this would have been super-game!

And who needs graphics when gameplay is good?
I hope it is good! :)

Konstantin Fomenko
02-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Meh the graphics are a little outdated.

Yeah - it`s still matter of adding some visual code to the engine. Until May we`ll be adding HDR, Bloom and better shadows. There are some things we can`t change - quality of models, but as far as visual technology goes most of our planned visual improvements are still to come.

A week from now we`ll show you one of these updates - greatly improved particle effects.

Sure - Dawn of Fantasy won`t be quite on the level, but we`ll do our best:)

Jean=A=Luc
02-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Yeah, the graphics aren't the best but are good enough imo (terrain and buildings/strongholds are actually very good I dare say) but considering the scale these graphics will keep the system requirements within boundaries that are accessible to a larger population which very important for a fledgling developer I think.

iceblast
02-10-2008, 10:22 AM
i got a alienware so i don't need to know what specs i need lol i got good laptop :P.

In terms of the campaign will there be big intros or small impact ones? :P

Joseph Visscher
02-10-2008, 10:42 AM
i got a alienware so i don't need to know what specs i need lol i got good laptop :P.

In terms of the campaign will there be big intros or small impact ones? :P

depends which compaign, you will see both.

Joseph Visscher
02-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Yeah, the graphics aren't the best but are good enough imo (terrain and buildings/strongholds are actually very good I dare say) but considering the scale these graphics will keep the system requirements within boundaries that are accessible to a larger population which very important for a fledgling developer I think.

but also allow huge and massive maps that will dwarf maps from prev games such as bfme1-2.

iceblast
02-10-2008, 10:55 AM
i hate massive maps like on uaw takes 10 mins to walk to other side of map :(

will there be small maps :).

Also will there be a map where you trek through the mountain sides to get to the other team :P

Konstantin Fomenko
02-10-2008, 11:32 AM
i hate massive maps like on uaw takes 10 mins to walk to other side of map

Yeah, same:) Usually walking distance between Strongholds in DoF is 3 to 4 minutes. But don`t forget - ALL the units have run ability, with enougth stamina to cover this distance in under 2 minutes. Granted out units move pretty fast to cover vast distance in 2 minutes, but gameplay comes first.

Terminus_Est
02-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Konstantin, you seemed to somehow miss my previous post entirely. Your last name is Fomenko, right? I remember you from a long time ago as the head of the SCN Punk AoK scenario design team. But I don't know if you remember me.

By the way, ok, the graphics aren't as good when the game is zoomed in as shown in the screenshots, but when it is zoomed out, they look just beautiful. I guess this is sort of a case of "good from far, but far from good."

Darvin
02-10-2008, 07:00 PM
While it's all well and nice to zoom in and look at the pretty graphics, in any real scenario in a RTS game you'll spend 99% of your time zoomed out very far, if not at maximum zoom.

My personal stance on graphics is that style is the most important aspect. The technical side will dissipate in no time, and even the most beautiful games can start look dated remarkably quickly. The truly great games have an enduring artistic style that continues to define them for years after their graphics are blatantly obsolete. Examples include Starcraft or Baldur's Gate. These games have a compelling visual appeal despite the fact that it's quite dated.

I'd argue that in some franchises (Command and Conquer, particularly) the late generation 2D games actually look better than the early generation 3D ones because their style has left them an appeal that has persevered where the technical advantages of the 3D ones has dissipated.

Final point: gameplay trumps all. The BFME series had beautiful visuals, but that didn't stop it from sucking horse **** (that goodness for an active modding community, eh?).

The Witch King of Angmar
02-10-2008, 07:24 PM
I agree. For the most part I usually don't focus that much on graphics though. I mean I like them and think they add to the game-play but I usually don't look at them that much unless I'm bored. Good graphics are still key however.

frankein_fish
02-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Yeah i think graphic is quite importent however look at Dawn of war!!!!

Jean=A=Luc
02-11-2008, 03:24 AM
Actually DoW is considered to have outdated graphics now.

frankein_fish
02-11-2008, 10:07 AM
i know, im used to Crysis on highest........
But i meant about the style of the graphic.
They have far from the latest but it still looks nice.

SPARROW94
02-12-2008, 05:25 AM
Im on of those players who wants a good look in any game....i choose graphics over game play in other words!!! Thats why i got the xbox360 elite when it came out HDMI for LCD TV's rock

The Witch King of Angmar
02-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Yeah, I have the same thing. I just need to hook the cable up to it.

Puppeteer
02-12-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't really care what it looks like because I will probably set graphics on low

frankein_fish
02-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Well i dont have a HD tv :( , But i have a XPS 720 with a "24" inch screen And two
sli conected Nvidia 8800 GTS cards. So i'll survive

SPARROW94
02-12-2008, 01:51 PM
LOLZ i realy not a hardcore pc RTS gamer so i dont buy good computers... but i do play pc RTS games.....but i love spending money for my xbox 360...own all RTS games for it and soon will own the rest 7 other one's...i love COnsol RTS better then PC RTS

frankein_fish
02-13-2008, 07:14 AM
I dont like RTS's on console simply becasue of the control, might need to change my mind on that point.
However im not gonna buy this for xbox mainly becasue my computer is better than my xbox :p

SPARROW94
02-13-2008, 04:04 PM
wow lolz i love my xbox360 will my heart

frankein_fish
02-14-2008, 03:58 AM
then im gonna stab your xbox with a bread knife :p
Well the reason why i have a monster machine (get 17k points in 3DMark)
is becasue i have been involved in a couple of beta's and the simple fact im a hardcore gamer :p

SPARROW94
02-15-2008, 03:59 PM
OH YEAH iv only been invited to one beta UaW beach!!! XD