PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Enviroment

Nermal
12-06-2010, 12:56 AM
Was wondering if there will be major impacts/events on gameplay during the game, so you will have to adjust your playstyle.

Might be better if ill give some examples;
Say there will be a worldwide hunger,- Food will suddenly be more worth than gold and fights will emerge over food wagons & your farms, eventually rowing bands of different races, desperately searching for food atacking all and everybody.
Now There could be 2 or more ways to handle such bands,
1. Simply kill then as they enter your lands,
2. Give them food and maybe receive some new units professions additional peasants

Maybe week of the weeds, everything grows alarmingly fast. Great abundances of food, vicious plants.
A epic campaign where people of different races/kingdoms have to work together quall a mighty army of [insert nonhumanoid race / outherworldlys]

In other words a persistent world, but a dynamic one with surprices & one that forces you to change your playstyle. One where areas you thought explored suddenly reveals new challanges, just to make it more interesting:rolleyes:

Vind
12-06-2010, 01:56 AM
This is a really cool idea.
Would be interesting if there is a small camp of AI enemy units and if you don't deal with them soon you might need a help of your neighbor to deal with them.

Fangg
12-06-2010, 04:53 AM
I agree would be cool.

I dont know if people have tried king of Dragon Pass. But i liked the random events you had to manage. Someone from your clan has stolen something from another clan. Some refugees coming to seek protection and you turn them into slaves :D.

Zackreaver
12-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Events are a really good idea, it helps the game feel more alive.

If say the starvation scenario happens, it could at the same time make a select few players rich with a surplus of food resources. Suddenly those players become pretty valuable targets for raids, it would definately add some excitement to login one day to suddenly notice your the only city that has food left and everyone wants at your supplies.

Nimlot
12-06-2010, 06:38 PM
I love this idea. Its implemented in some MMOs already and i think it adds alot to the game if these kinds of events happen sometimes that affects everyone.

Especially i like things like foreign armies invading the whole land and everyone has to fend them off, or an evil wizard takes control of supermonsters that ravage the land :D

How about huge forest fires that everyone in a forest region has to try to fend off, together? maybe someone will take this opportunity to attack a neighbor :D

Nathikal
12-07-2010, 09:27 PM
From personal experience, random events make games immensely enjoyable. They add a measure of unpredictability that is really neato.

I, personally, prefer random events that are actually...impacting. Perhaps the orc faction is going smoothly, and a sudden upstart arises, challenging the orc lords for supremacy. The return of the challengers to the throne (M-something, I can't remember the spelling) make life difficult for the humans. An elven councilmember dies, resulting in his/her child, who never liked you really, decides to settle things permanently.

Other randomness that should exist, I feel. Migrant peasants from one nation to another. Bandits that plague the roads and lurk in the forests. A sorcerer who unleashed a pack of demons that begin to ravage the land. There needs to be a level of just...stuff that happens.

Let's be totally honest: there are two kinds of strategy games. One where the players ARE the controllers, and one where the players are merely...players. The world itself should not merely yield to whatever the players do. That's not fun, it's boring.

Joseph Visscher
12-08-2010, 12:49 AM
From personal experience, random events make games immensely enjoyable. They add a measure of unpredictability that is really neato.

Unpredictability, hehe.
Yea you won't like it when all your livestock get eaten by Wolves when you forget to bring them in from the meadow, muahahahahah!

Nermal
12-08-2010, 02:55 AM
Unpredictability, hehe.
Yea you won't like it when all your livestock get eaten by Wolves when you forget to bring them in from the meadow, muahahahahah!

Well thats consequence! And frankly im gonna do that alot of times & setting fire on a forrest, just to see those wolves do their handiwork :p Been looking forward to a properly scripted AI the last 10 years in a strategy orientated game, which seems to be within reach finally.

#Nathikal

Im not sure we`ll talk about the same when I say,- Enviroment should change as a consequence of a players choices.
Lets assume you get really mad on your peasents, thinking they need spit out some more money in tax. You whip them happily around abit, some of those people would likely flee you, eventually making a band to survive, even getting into other kingdoms, for good or worse depending on the rulers.
In my opinion would an enviroment not subject to change by your choices be rather dull.

As someone once said,..

Every action has a reaction

Nathikal
12-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Aah, no, we're not. But I like both, personally. However, it's more easy to abuse that action/reaction when it's all straightforward.

Would be nice if a player who has a reputation as being cruel to peasants would make it known. That is, if I know that my neighbor is utterly ruthless to peasants, it'd be a sort of diplomatic weight that I'd keep in mind.

Would be even nicer if, instead of just fleeing, an extremely cruel overlord might end up with a revolution on his hands. Not to mention that, in such a case, peasants might contact other leaders, giving alternative methods to weakening enemy powers.

IE, if again my neighbor is being cruel to peasants, one day I hear that the peasants are planning to revolt through my spies or what have you. One of the peasant leaders contacts one of my people, we chat up, and I end up commiting resources to the peasants.

A new minor NPC faction would start up then, at war with their former nation and trying to overthrow it, perhaps with the help of other nations.

Already I can see this being interesting. Just because one leader frequently abused his peasants, a massive war could ultimately unfold between nations that, in the past, had little to no reason to fight.

And once the peasants have outlived their usefulness...well, it's up to you what happens.

Atomic
12-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Random events add another layer of skill to any game. This is something I would like to see in this game in the future.

It would be great to have something like some random demons or something suddenly invading the land and possibly forcing the warring factions to form a brief truce, or let them fight on under even more pressure.

jambon99
12-09-2010, 08:53 AM
I also agree random events make a game more enjoyable. Players have to be ready to change their strategy at all times incase certain problems arise. Instead of sticking to one strategy, as a player you need to consider differents avenues. I'm thnking about CIV V, where a random event can break your small defense and the ennemy can take many citys really fast.

Emrus
12-10-2010, 03:31 AM
yeah random events keep the game lively and fresh,some kinda worker revolt(apart from the usual tax effect ,if any) or even workers speaking some random words with each other,lightly...would be cool. It shall add a flavour of humor to the game while we enjoy our fighting endeavors :D

Imagine:

A farmer says: "oh no! we have pests to get rid off our farming output :O"

2nd farmer : "yeah, We must report to the city collector! "

If we click on the 2nd farmer, the problem is solved/assured of being solved and the city gets some bonus to farm output:D . or something on the lines:D

just an example.

guitarist123
01-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Well the more real.. or you can say Random the world is the longer a person can play befor he/she facepomes into there desk. There for the more random the better.

Rycon
01-20-2011, 08:56 AM
Dynamic environments will make the game look much more alive.They have to be coded well so that the feature would not effect server or client performance that much.

DirtEaterr
01-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Awesome idea. Totaly aggre.

krichard
01-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Seems like it would be a good idea for them to have a npc faction along with the playable ones,one that could set off on its own campaigns against actual players nearby and gets stronger and stronger when it gains more territory.Something that would have to have neighboring players to set aside differences to repel them and take back lost territory etc.

Overlawd
01-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Great Idea, It does make the game feel more in depth. But I would say make them more "loose" than previous games? Like Warhammer did a pretty good think with Public Quests, But they just repeated and only effected the small area they were in...Then you've got RIFT coming out soon, Which has it going on with random events, But they will happen everywhere/no where, All over the place all the time, Or in one place at one time...But I could see the same thing happening getting old quick. So DoF should make it a mix of events, With different variables. Probably a difficult thing to accomplish quickly and easily, But a GREAT end result? Maybe? Maybe Not? I could be missing something.

GoGoCactusMan!
01-21-2011, 12:39 AM
I would enjoy this simply because it would keep me more on my toes, make me take the world more seriously.

Dynamics like these could have an effect on player alliances/relations as well, which would in turn, create a more dynamic world overall.

:D

Shinigami
01-21-2011, 04:41 PM
It would be cool to have random drops of resources or some other insentive than advertising it to players in the region starting a war to see who can get to it first and defend it

modernatomic
01-22-2011, 12:39 AM
Random events can be great fun, as long as they aren't devastating; it would suck to be crippled by a bad RNG result. There was an old BBS door game called Barren Realms Elite that had a chance of random events where it could be anything from a gift of money or units to random NPC pirate faction raids. It added a little lottery element that was fun.

A really wide range of random small events that could occur beyond simple quests such as the visiting of gypsies that could result in a gift or theft, or a bandit or pirate raid, etc. would be great, especially if the events were dictated in a small way by the player race, location, and actions.

DarkLord7854
01-22-2011, 03:59 PM
I disagree a bit with a random event being potentially devastating. If it's a large invasion or something along those lines where you get attacked, and you don't do anything about it, then you should be at least a bit penalized for it and have it set you back a decent amount.

Otherwise if random events don't have some sort of noticeable penalty for not taking part in it, then what's the point?

modernatomic
01-23-2011, 01:00 AM
Well, I guess it's a case of should random events be for flavor, or should they have serious impact? I would imagine something like a major invasion would be handled via the quest system, so you would still have to act.

The reason I would prefer not to have devastating random events is I would hate to be set back hugely or crippled by events out of my control. What if you had a random event hand you a plague that the random number generator determined killed half your units? Then you had to deal with either other players or try to complete quests with that handicap.

I'd rather be in that situation due to my losing a battle or making a dumb decision versus a chance event.

Warchamp84
01-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Random Events are good but should be controlled, i mean it will make the game exciting but may become seriously annoying for some. There should be a option in single player which allows random events to occur but on multilayer it can me frustrating. I mean think about it in a good RTS game random events don't just occur and if the did then game play would start to become BS after a while. Random events like natural disasters should be linked to the land the nations is in. Linking the land to the disaster makes sense. A Volcano will only make volcanic eruption in the area it is in, not just randomly anywhere. Civilizations 5 had the Gold age and I love the King scheme where you complete a set of objectives or continually complete to receive a proper bonus for the nations, not just a random bonus of 500 gold. The only reason you would receive 500 gold or something would be lets say if u carried out a raiding party or assassinated a enemy personal. All i'm saying is to link the events to the proper bonuses and negative effects.

This however would really add-in a new layer of depth to this game.

GoGoCactusMan!
01-24-2011, 12:35 AM
I'm pretty sure that most if not all random events will be beneficial, or risky with high end benefit. Even then, the majority of those will probably also be story / added quest related.

Anything horrible detrimental to enjoyment of the game I would simply rule out as an option. Something like a natural disaster I could certainly see, but it would be only a smaller hindrance.

I would enjoy some weather and environmental elements causing for interesting battles, however. Maybe rain or snow could make the fog of war tighter due to lower troop visibility? Maybe a shortcut across a part of land is available because a pond is frozen? That could prove interesting.

TheHoboGod
01-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Great Idea! It would add a layer of unpredictability if the game gets stale (Which it never will)!

myashin
01-29-2011, 06:47 AM
This unpredictable/ random event idea is really cool but i think it will be perfectly replaced by side quests, of course it depends on how subtle the quests will be.. and so far i havent seen a single note about them };]

noazz
01-29-2011, 07:24 AM
yap, it should be a great idea!

Loose Morals
01-29-2011, 11:23 PM
this thread is very similar to the natural disasters thread.
there i agree that random events are nice and actually become standard fare in MMO's as everyone recognised they add flavor to a game like this. but they do need to be kept sublte rather than overwhelming. small changes that give a bit of a change for a few days are good. suddenly finding your whole army has been turned into turnips by a passing evil wizard isnt so fun....funny, but not fun:)

eternal2u
01-31-2011, 12:31 AM
yea i would love this....its one of the reasons im looking soo foward to rift (new wow type mmo) is because there entire game is based around the randomness that can happen...just love that type of **** in my mmo's

_Caranthir
01-31-2011, 06:49 AM
It would be very nice :rolleyes:

NobleIre
01-31-2011, 10:55 AM
I agree with this idea. Random events could add a great deal of spice to the game. These should not happen very often - certainly not every week. Perhaps more of a once a month or so thing. With a larger event (like a campaign against some invading horde) twice a year. I like things that give smaller penalties/benefits to people randomly, thus mixing up the game and possibly turning the tables on people who thought they were stronger than everyone else.

I.E. food becomes scarce, suddenly that guy who had a 'few too many farms' doesn't seem like such a newb. ;)

boondock5aint
02-01-2011, 03:58 PM
yeah fantastic idea, and agree with the not too often, as i find with most games that have random events once you start seeing them every 5mins you see all of them withing 3hours of gameplay, which ruins the surprise side of things, so lots of possibilities, choices on dealing with them, and rare-ish occurance sounds great

kessevan
02-02-2011, 03:46 PM
I LOVE the idea. That really emphasizes the MMO part of the game. I hope this happens.

OniKenji
02-03-2011, 08:24 PM
definitly interesting id love to have that level of realism it would make the game come to life

Relee
02-11-2011, 04:58 PM
I've always loved the idea of persistant worlds, especially ones where natural events lead to interesting behavior. A plague, tornado, earthquake, or other natural disaster, or something seasonal like a bad crop or a hard winter or a drought.

It would also be really neat if it was harder to move armies during the winter time.

Kultyz
02-11-2011, 07:15 PM
I honestly agree with both enviromental and events that affect the way you play, that doesn't force you to it, or either destroys or makes u invincible, but offers you some paths to choose from on ways to play and increase the deep in you get from the game.

Sarkata
02-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Sounds like a pretty decent idea. Dynamic gameplay is always more interesting.

Smegafier
02-20-2011, 05:49 PM
I don't think tornados or earthquakes are very good ideas imo, reminds me of sim city having a freak tornado come through my city destroying a power plant or something important leaving me bankcrupt. Sure its unexpected and adds some element of surprise and realism, but in this type of game having that happen then getting attacked by another player would most likely mean losing and losing because of chance is not strategic, fun or skillful.

I think so long as these dynamic enviroments can't cause crippling damage to the overall wellbeing/outcome of your castle or battle it would be fine. (what kultyz said)

Guibaz
02-20-2011, 09:32 PM
I don't think tornados or earthquakes are very good ideas too. But if the wind change the direction of some arrows, the rain stop the fire and snow decrease movement speed ll be great. Dont you think ?

cableslice
02-22-2011, 01:49 PM
I like the idea of events that affect everyone and change the way you must play. Keeps things interesting and fun.

Lanolin
02-22-2011, 03:26 PM
This is a really cool idea. What they could do also is add the chance of their being a world wide plague. So this notorious disease goes around, and rumors of its onslaught are reported to other empires via a announcement feature within the game. And basically you have to adjust to it by purchasing various forms of medical supplies or your troops and civilians who occupy your city will fall ill or something like that. Just a thought, but set piece events within the game would defiantly make it feel like the world is alive. Another cool thing would be like say you have your empire really close to a mountain, the chance of an avalanche is high so you would have to build some sort of contraption or scale your walls higher to cope with such a thing in the event that something disastrous like that could happen.

hugenhlfan
02-28-2011, 06:43 PM
I would like this it seems like the seasons changing would be a pretty nice challenge though such as food prices sky rocketing and stuff of that nature.

darthplagued
03-04-2011, 01:08 PM
would be nice.

ImmoralAtheist
03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
So, here we go about these 10 posts:p

I would definitely like seasons, these could also bring certain "effects".

A thing with dynamic enviroments, atleast if this game is a "real" mmorts where competition is everything, then you should be careful about what you make "dynamic". If there's events like a certain stock of items is nearly depleted in a region, then those who are one (most likely those who play the most) will reap the benefits. In other words, if you stay on 24/7 you get a massive improvement, and this is not good for strategy.

data2.0
04-02-2011, 10:09 PM
How about a roving armada on the oceans stopping at coastal cities and waging war at random. You'd have to build a fleet to try and hunt them down

Briggsby
04-20-2011, 05:08 PM
I like the idea of random events but it could cetainly be annoying. I mean for worldwide events like food shortages then it would be fine because it depends on how well safeguarded you are against that kind of event, but say that you were at a sort of stalemate with another player and then suddenly one of you happens to have a natural disaster giving the other person a chance to win; certainly unfair; more reality isn't always better :P
Then again as an RTS things like stalemates are pretty hard to come across, and maybe there could be something which tries to prevents natural disasters. I remember somebody posting something about weather controlling witches which would perhaps be a cool mechanism; where by having witches you have either a lower chance or a limited number of ways to prevent natural disasters (each witch can prevent one natural disater per whatever).
This could also result in where you can try and cause natural disasters in enemy lands or cause better crops in your lands using witches, but when you get to this point you've already lost the randomness which was the original appeal in natural events :P

WarriorKing
04-20-2011, 08:33 PM
World cataclysms, not new but less boring.

SundayForever
04-21-2011, 12:36 AM
I love this idea. Its implemented in some MMOs already and i think it adds alot to the game if these kinds of events happen sometimes that affects everyone.

Especially i like things like foreign armies invading the whole land and everyone has to fend them off, or an evil wizard takes control of supermonsters that ravage the land

Zontiac@hotmail.com
04-21-2011, 10:30 AM
i love this idea.. witch is a reason why ill be getting guild wars 2 for their dynamic events :o) makes gaming alot more fun..

Ciprian
04-26-2011, 04:13 AM
i like it,it would make game even more intresting

Trotibal
05-01-2011, 03:03 PM
yes is nice.. good!