PDA

View Full Version : Seamonsters!!

Nimlot
12-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Hello everyone!

I came up in another thread with the idea of sea monsters in the naval part of the game. It was after i saw the elven Kraken that i thought, wouldnt it be cool if there were sea monsters??

maybe people wouldnt enjoy it in sea combat or when you sail out with your ships to see them be attacked by a giant sea serpent or a megalodon shark (thats AI controlled, ofc, not talking about kraken)

But maybe instead as a part of a quest.

What do you guys think? would you enjoy it?

GPS51
12-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Yeah I'd guess that in some quest somewhere you're troop ships get eaten or something by a marauding sea monster :). Most likely when playing as orcs. I hope they expand the sea monster parts of the navies :)

whitewing91
12-05-2010, 07:29 PM
A quest would be nice where you hunt down someone legendary, or even neutral ones within certain sea's

GPS51
12-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Or you could deliver food or something and that would trigger them to be helpful to you but not be under your control. Then when the enemies attack blub blub blub they all get sunk :D

shawnchi
12-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Or you could deliver food or something and that would trigger them to be helpful to you but not be under your control. Then when the enemies attack blub blub blub they all get sunk :D

That's kinda over powered.. Unless the seamonster has a cool-down rate

Nimlot
12-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Atleast there should be big sharks that munch on sailors that end up in the water after/during a fight :D

Is there any way to fit sea monsters in the game and stil having it being balanced?
Im thinking maybe some kind of a spell that lures a sea monster to a battle and ravages random ships in that battle, this could work in your favour if you have say less ships or if you are loosing, to take down alot of enemy ships with you so that there are fewer enemy ships surviving.

raedwulfrum
01-19-2011, 03:32 AM
It would be nice to sea the naval portion of the game come up as a viable area of focus, rather than just a mild distraction from land and siege based combat. Random encounters and the like would certainly help add some life.

Rokniel
01-20-2011, 01:28 AM
Non-cosmetic random monsters in a pvp environment would most likely be quite frustrating. Making a working strategy for a battle only to have it crumble due to a completely random event is one of the most frustrating thing in games :/

valodimer
01-20-2011, 01:38 AM
@.@ here come the might kraken !! :))

Konstantin Fomenko
01-20-2011, 06:59 AM
One of the first content packs to be released soon after the game is out deals exclusively with water based gameplay. This pack not only includes large variety of ships and creatures like Krakens for each race, but also various island based NPC towns and stronghold, new shoreline homeland option for players and a lengthy quest pack.

And it looks like we will include some huge sea monsters to make naval exploration expireince more "interesting" :) Thank you for your suggestions - love the idea of a giant sea serpent.

I can see having a AI Sea Serpent appear in the middle of the PvP naval battle and beging to attack anyone who comes near - being a good twist. Also having some quests deal with hunting down and defeating some incredibly powerful sea monster should be fun as well.

Rycon
01-20-2011, 07:50 AM
I am not a fan of sea monsters put it would be a good addition to the naval combat.

Putkonen
01-20-2011, 07:55 AM
That sounds pretty awesome, I've always liked games that have a lot of variety in combat and war mechanics, just because I love creative tactics and strategies.

Though, I dont know about that AI sea monster appearing in middle of the PvP battle. Sure, it would add some twist to the fight, but it could pretty much wreck the whole balance of the naval enviroment, would you like to lose a long battle you fought so hard and were on winning, just to find out that some giant crab is eating your ships for lunch? I think I wouldn't enjoy that so much. Probably you could make it optional for yourself to have AI to involve in your naval warfare?

Everything else sounds fantastic to me, hunting sea monsters, exploring seas and islands will make the game more interesting, one question about that though, I know that there will be big world to play in, but its sure that some players want to play on only ground and some focus on naval? Is it possible to focus your armies on huge navies or something like that, I dont find it possible for everyone to be close enough to the sea to play effective naval, since they are too far away from shore?