PDA

View Full Version : Attention new members: Posting and YOU!

LiTos456
12-05-2010, 05:55 PM
This is a really old post, let is sink...

UPDATE: This does NOT apply to all you new members. This was for the email sent out to old registered lurkers during the beginning of Closed Beta 4. If you are new from the 505 announcement, you can still (and should if possible) follow the tips in this thread to post nice posts, but you don't have to do this to get in the beta. Don't take this as a "spam away" notice though, because spam will still not be tolerated.

It has come to my attention that after the recently sent out e-mail claiming to hand out beta keys to anyone that has 10 posts, there's been a lot of increased forum activity.

Following that, many new or inactive members rushed in to gain these 10 posts as quickly as possible. This has also resulted in my brain exploding in rage; therefore I have decided to give you folks some friendly "tips" on how to make your 10 posts count.

First of all: I don't care what the e-mail said. If you come to the forum to post, you must follow all the rules. You must also follow common sense. I also reckon you might not even receive your beta key if you have created 10 useless, irrelevant or completely unimportant posts - it's not the number that counts guys, it's what within it.

So here's a few things I want you to take into account:

Post well written, constructive and interesting posts. This means that they should be at least a few lines each, be relevant and they should contribute to the discussion.
Do NOT post 3 word posts such as "gameplay looks great" or "nice sreenshots guys". This does NOT contribute to ANYTHING. At the very least you can make a comment about specific details of the screenshots, or whatever is posted in the thread. We all know you love them as it is.
In addition, posts like that are considered spam, and violate the forums' official Code of Conduct (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77).
Do NOT bump old threads. Someone posted a thread that has had no posts in over a year. In addition, they made it look as if they were posting during the period of when the thread was active. Not only is this a nonconstructive post, it doesn't even make any sense.
Please, if you can't make a good post, at the very least try not to make it obvious that the only reason you're here is to get your post count up to 10 as quickly as possible. I promise you this won't guarantee you a beta, as it will only show how little interest you have in the game. It's disrespectful to veteran members, moderators, administrators and all the developers.

In addition to all of that, it seems to me that none of you actually read the beta requirements thread. Here's a direct quote from Alex Walz:

2) You must have ten contributive posts in our forums. You can check your post count by going to your profile by clicking on your username in the forum index. If you're low on posts, try looking through past media and discussions and respond to whatever interests you.

Note the word "contributive".
Here's a definition for those of you who fail to understand its' meaning:
1. To give or supply in common with others; give to a common fund or for a common purpose.
2. To help bring about a result; act as a factor.

This means your post actually has to add something to the thread, something that people after you can also respond to and continue the discussion off of.

Now, assuming you've actually read this, I'm afraid I'll have to let you know that 80% of all your posts, at least the ones that I've seen (and I've gone through the forums alright) don't count and do not match the above criteria.
We do not care if this has worked for you on other forums before, but here, ignorance like this is not going to get past me.

Now folks, I'd like you all to go and post some real posts, avoiding old threads that are not relevant anymore and that nobody cares about. I want to see some real contributive material that's going to take me more 20 seconds to read.

If I do not see some proper forum activity within the next few days, I'll have to start taking action and handing out infractions to posts that can be flagged as spam (most of which can). And if you thought you could post 10 quick random posts, grab your key and get away with it, well you were wrong. So please start over, and do it right this time.

Thank you for your time and concern, and happy posting.

UPDATE: While there are many examples of veteran members and their posts, here's one fella who is no different from the rest of you; with only two posts I'd already recommend him for the beta. Please take a look here (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=36946#post36946) and see if you can try to strive for making posts more like that, and less like "That's just great. :D"

GPS51
12-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Glad I've got my 10 posts in long ago with Litos roaming the forums. Seriously though, I'm glad that some sort of standard for posting is being upheld. The forums have plenty to post on.

BraveHeart
12-05-2010, 06:15 PM
While I was trying to get 10 post some time ago I was really thinking on wich topic to awnser and what to say so it didnt look like crap but ive read so many crap replies. Also I want to keep all my forum icons black as in read weird habit but last 2 days that's impossible for me hehe.

Greetz Brave

evilwithin
12-06-2010, 11:19 AM
the amount of posts asking questions that are in the FAQ's or the fantasy fridays is stupied >.> good thing getting hard ball with them :p

nickson104
12-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Their handing out keys for 10 posts? O.o I now see why I logged on today to find a million and one topics with new posts, rather than a couple. So thats what was on the email Reverie sent that I deleted due to not wanting to get upset by lack of graphics card :D :p

Good luck moderating the surge Litos, rather you than me, my dear friend :D

P.S I dont think I have enough posts to qualify... :D

LiTos456
12-06-2010, 03:16 PM
I've begun sending out PMs to those who do not follow the rules notifying them of their threads and that some or all of their posts may not count.

If I still don't see improvement warnings are next. Then infractions.

PS: Here's (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=36946#post36946) a guy I like. 2 posts, and I'm already ready to recommend him for the beta. Now for the rest of you, please use that as an example of how to excel in your posting.

SvN
12-08-2010, 06:05 AM
I agree that many posts made recently by the new members don't contribute so much to the threads. However you should go easy on the new members.. This thread should be enough to inform new members about posting, I don't see the need of PM:ing all of them or whatever you are about to do.

You do realise that this "10 post to get in the beta" was planned by the developers to hit two birds with one stone, not only do they get beta testers but also do they get the forum activated with fresh members and more posting.
Don't scare them away while they are new and easely turned off by the forum;)

Henry Martin
12-08-2010, 09:44 AM
I don't see the need of PM:ing all of them or whatever you are about to do.

You do realise that this "10 post to get in the beta" was planned by the developers to hit two birds with one stone, not only do they get beta testers but also do they get the forum activated with fresh members and more posting.
Don't scare them away while they are new and easely turned off by the forum;)

Hey if you look around the forums the devs even mentioned that some of these post are not good. posting "this game looks great" shouldn't count. Did you read what Alex said "You must have ten CONTRIBUTIVE posts in our forums".

SvN
12-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Hey if you look around the forums the devs even mentioned that some of these post are not good. posting "this game looks great" shouldn't count. Did you read what Alex said "You must have ten CONTRIBUTIVE posts in our forums".

I'm not defending the useless posts, just saying that we should go easy on the new members.:) They will not get into beta with 3-word posts anyway, they will eventually understand that.

jambon99
12-08-2010, 06:03 PM
I have beta tested so many games over the years and many more, starting with Ultima online 20 years ago. I really had fun discussing topics about the game while playing it. What kind of post do you want me to make about the game, that is really contributing, if I cant play the game.

Naivedo
12-16-2010, 06:32 PM
I agree with jambon. As a new member, what information do I have about the game that would be contributing? Unless you just want my opinions on random pictures and videos. All I have seen is basic information about the game. To require ten posts out of everyone that is on-topic about something they have no experience with is really not that logical unless like I said before, you just want our inexperienced opinions about random topics we know nothing about. Not that we can even talk about the beta since these forums are for released information only if I read correctly.

It's going to be hard to come up with ten complex posts that follow all of these posting restraints. Since, I have no knowledge base and all.

ero_tribal
01-19-2011, 03:14 AM
And was even more complicated when one is french and we want to participate.
Especially when you speak English like a Spanish cow. :D

cryonso
01-19-2011, 11:36 AM
I myself dont yet have 10 post's, and when i post i take time to write down something sensible.
Like my opinion here. So plz dont rage post and spam the forum whit usles post:)

Myrcea01
01-20-2011, 07:10 AM
this thing with the posts is a bit strange ... at least i am not spamming the board if i have nothing important to say. i am testing now the open beta for world of tanks. recently for 2 days each battle got you 5x experience and money and now every one is playing with the top tanks ... so, how do they want to test all tanks if there are only the big ones in game. the same thing happened here ... u wanted 10 posts and now the idiots are spamming :)
when taking a decision remember 80% are stupid kids

Skywen
01-20-2011, 04:01 PM
I am sure the gamemasters are clever enough to know what the condition means and also know your objections. They wanna see seriously interested people of different age, gender, level, backround knowhow and stuff. So some communication helps to find out - but for sure, we are all curious what will come with this interesting new game. ;)

LiTos456
01-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah, good that you agree with that.
This thread was directed at the 10 posts ordeal however it still applies, hypothetically. While it isn't a requirement to post super contributive posts for all the new folks now, you still shouldn't spam. The more good posts you have the better.

Jolleyboy
01-20-2011, 04:50 PM
I think it was really smart of them to include this as part of the beta requirements, not only does it help weed out those who wouldn't devote a sufficient amount of time to the game, it helps create a community. Props!

thanius
01-20-2011, 09:14 PM
My english is not good and i cant write a long passage is this a problem? but I will try to discuss a useful for this game

LiTos456
01-20-2011, 09:18 PM
My english is not good and i cant write a long passage is this a problem?

No, don't worry about it, but try your best either way, I think you'll learn a great deal of the language through forums like these (I did) :).

And as I mentioned earlier this doesn't as much apply to YOU guys - this was originally directed at the people who came here to quickly bunch up 10 posts to get into CB4. But they followed to make 10 good posts so I was trying to make it clear that they couldn't be one liners.
So while you should still try to post nice constructive posts to the best of your ability, it isn't as necessary now.

Rhino
01-21-2011, 08:13 PM
I just joined the forums and i do believe that as new members we need a bit of a lighter time as we are new and just getting used to the forum.

GoGoCactusMan!
01-21-2011, 08:55 PM
This thread is the reason why I am spending a lot of time reading through and really trying to pay attention to this game. I was a long time veteran of the Command & Conquer franchise and I watched the forums for that series dilute themselves into nothing more than hateful, non constructive rants.

This forum however, seems to be absolutely impressive; filled with a multitude of great gamers that want to contribute their ideas constructively. Dawn of Fantasy looked like a great game when I looked at the website, but right here is what sold me.

My hat is off to the gentlemen and ladies that are posting and keeping discussions going.

LiTos456
01-21-2011, 09:01 PM
This forum however, seems to be absolutely impressive; filled with a multitude of great gamers that want to contribute their ideas constructively.

Yes, and we moderators work very hard to make sure that the forum will always be like this. :)
I like you btw. Keep up the good posting.

PS: Cacti ftw.

rebelglitch
01-22-2011, 09:17 AM
I think it was really smart of them to include this as part of the beta requirements, not only does it help weed out those who wouldn't devote a sufficient amount of time to the game, it helps create a community. Props!

This can also have the revers effect by weeding out some serious testers. Take me for instance, I do quite a bit of alpha and beta testing for games, apps, and OSs and I devote more than sufficient amount of time to say, game play. Some alphas only have the game up for 6hrs a week to play if that so you play on their schedule. However I've been a member of one alpha test for almost a year and I only have about 15 forum posts, but on the flip side I have literally hundreds of detailed bug reports, game play issues and balance suggestions. I do read the forums but I'm not much of a talker so tend not to post much. Ten posts can be a bit of a challenge for testers like me. I did come here to sign up for the beta as RTS games tend to be one of my favorite genre to play and I will attempt to meet the post requirements but as another post said itís hard to commit on something we have little insight on.

roughneck19086
01-22-2011, 10:22 PM
I can understand the reason a limit was placed but I only just found this game so am having to rush to join in the forums. I do hope to be a positive contributer but even for games i have followed from start up, I have never had ten posts. But if what we are writing is really getting back to the developers and helping shape this game, I will do my best to provide helpful insights and i believe that is what the point of this thread is. Help them understand what we think of their game.

Dalkor
01-23-2011, 06:46 AM
What I find truly humorous is the amount of people I see sitting at exactly 10 posts. It's almost staggering. Though I started before the beta was announced I have had my share of non-helpful commentary, but some people just don't read through a 3 page thread and end up posting about something that was answered a couple posts up.

/sigh

Verrenth
01-23-2011, 06:58 AM
I dont mind the post minimum thing i guess it helps get everyone envolved and maybe more likely to post feedback, but at the same time i like to read and be the silent memeber in the back while i have done beta and alpha testing before and am more then able to post feedback.

LiTos456
01-23-2011, 12:06 PM
I dont know how many more times I'll have to repeat this: The 10 post limit does not apply anymore! You can have 3 posts and get in the beta, or 500 and not get into beta (there's a member like that, yes).
The 10 post thing was for CB4 testers who were old lurkers invited back to become active.
For you guys it doesn't apply.

denda
01-24-2011, 05:15 AM
I dont know how many more times I'll have to repeat this: The 10 post limit does not apply anymore! You can have 3 posts and get in the beta, or 500 and not get into beta (there's a member like that, yes).
The 10 post thing was for CB4 testers who were old lurkers invited back to become active.
For you guys it doesn't apply.

To begin with, you should mention it at least ONCE. Secondly, you are able to edit your first post to stop the newbies who seem to **** you off. It is, indeed, clear that there are people who gain access with only two posts, but it is clear as well that YOU liked his/her posts. If you are new here, you don't know all the admins and mods and who of them is the most "important." You only get the idea that one of many can grant you access. But maybe you don't like his/hers scolding newbies and therefore you decide to go the 10-post-way.

I heard from this game for the first time last week and tried to apply for the beta, but there were always some errors. Today, I tried it again and it worked finally. I signed up and went to the media section to"try looking through past media and discussions and respond to whatever interests you." On my way, I discovered this thread and agreed at first with its statement. Later on, I unfortunately realised that there isn't much I can contribute. Some ideas sound great, but most of the topics consist of a slightly more detailed retelling of the FEATURES-Tab on the main-page which offers nothing but marketing-information.

Now I am wondering why this Closes Beta News went out of this board. You want a lot of people discussing something, fair enough, but they are not allowed to simply express their first-glance-oppinion? Maybe you want to advertise with "a lot of sign ups" and a "great board activity" which leads to an "highly antcipated game", but now every newbie needs to really work to write some good posts because "i like this ... like a dozen others..., because of the reasons ... mentioned by a dozen others" is not appreciated. All this work for a game you are very curious about but also doubting it's success because of the other "MMORTS" predecessors?
Again: It's a good way to sent active board members a key if you want testers, but don't tout the starting beta then especially if one of your moderator scares newbies away and there is only few information (guesses and goals) about the core gameplay available.

LiTos456
01-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Dude. Again, this does NOT apply to you. See you're complaining but you don't even know what this thread is about. Let me explain it to you:

During Closed Beta 4, BEFORE the publisher was announced and you guys came, we sent out a mass mail to all forum members inviting them to test the game. This was for the people that were already signed up but either hadn't visited for a long time or were just lurking the forums with 0 posts. We asked them to post 10 contributive posts (at least) to show that they are still interested and would like to participate. Nevertheless, this resulted with some members posting absurdly short, useless and clearly "I don't care about this game but I want beta" posts. One such member repeated the same 3 word post 10 times in 10 different threads, assuming he can get away with it.

Now you're thinking that this still applies to you, no it doesn't. I'll edit the first post, I thought it was clear enough that it's "for those who received the email with the 10 post offer" as I stated in the thread. But you're not forced to post anything like this, although we'd still love it if you did, and if you want you can still follow the tips in this thread to do that, you can post general things and you'll be fine.

mouzed
01-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Good thing it is not necessary to have 10 positive posts anymore :)

>)

shore1191
01-30-2011, 10:03 PM
thats a relief....

cyril360
02-01-2011, 09:39 PM
ill try to be a good poster

Ronus
02-04-2011, 08:49 PM
I dont know how many more times I'll have to repeat this: The 10 post limit does not apply anymore!Just an FYI, the Beta application still has the 10 post count statement in it. So unless someone comes into this thread and reads through the entire thread to get to your posts, they may not know that it is not a requirement still.

I love quality forums and I'm hoping to find a lot of info here.

Thanks for the work on the forums and the game...

LiTos456
02-05-2011, 11:20 AM
I updated the first post with that notice.

Kasperio
02-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Excellent guide, thank you very much :)

Gogo3
02-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Great i really like it

geniadrim
02-24-2011, 10:19 AM
i hope i will be a good forumwriter ... :eek:

Knockroe
02-27-2011, 12:58 PM
I have just registered and am very worried that my 10 first posts may be a form of sapm in order to qualify for the open beta invite.

Obviously I don't wish any of my posts to resemble spam in any way but unsure how I am to get 10 posts out there with out annoying genuine forum readers

Puppeteer
02-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Well I've just decreased your posts by one, for the double post. I won't do it again, as then you'll fall below ten, and I'm not some Doctor Super Barstool, but don't do it again :p
Three universally-held rules for forum posts:
Don't spam.
Don't flame.
Don't double-post.
If you're truly interested in the game, look at the recent media showcases and comment on them - good comments, that is.
Alternatively, read the first post in this thread.

lastchancer
02-27-2011, 06:22 PM
So it's ok to comment a few times at once? been going through the artwork and discussions and want to join in the chats =P

Puppeteer
02-28-2011, 11:34 AM
So it's ok to comment a few times at once? been going through the artwork and discussions and want to join in the chats =P

Don't double-post on the same thread - if you want to add something new and no one's posted since on the same thread, edit it and add it to the rest of the post.
If you want to post in multiple threads go for it! If you've got something to say, don't restrict yourself to X posts per session. That said, if you only want to congratulate Reverie for their media updates then it would be best to write it in one Media Update, as opposed to simply writing 'wow' in each thread ;)

Dimitriosg13
02-28-2011, 12:16 PM
i am asking just to be sure we have to post in order to be chosed to get into the open beta??

in this game anybody can siege your castle anytime like browser games but with real time strategy??

can we play offline??

Puppeteer
02-28-2011, 01:14 PM
i am asking just to be sure we have to post in order to be chosed to get into the open beta??

in this game anybody can siege your castle anytime like browser games but with real time strategy??

can we play offline??

You need 10 posts. Mind you, make them constructive and don't post many times in a row in the same topic or I'll merge them (like I've merged your last three posts) into one post. And then you'll only get 1 post towards your 10 that you need. If you need to add more to your post, and no one has posted in that thread since yours, then use the Edit button - it makes the threads less cluttered.
Also, before asking these types of questions, you'd do well to check the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696) and other topics first. There's a lot of reading material :D

mafrabr
03-11-2011, 04:43 PM
I have beta test of many games... and i dont like to use the forum, so i will do my best!

VenSen
03-25-2011, 07:05 PM
well i think its more easy to get 10 post if you are actually part of the beta and not some (sorry if i dont use the right word) bystander who is despertly trying to get a beta-key i think you would get more productive posts if eveyone had a beta-key :p

Zvonzi
04-17-2011, 03:46 AM
well i think its more easy to get 10 post if you are actually part of the beta and not some (sorry if i dont use the right word) bystander who is despertly trying to get a beta-key i think you would get more productive posts if eveyone had a beta-key :p

i must agree on that. it's stupid to write 10 posts when you don't have any idea about the game. :)

bruxar
05-02-2011, 10:55 AM

agree. How can I contribute after only seeing a trailer? ><

Squid3d
05-04-2011, 01:18 AM
I'm glad to see the requirement is only one post now. i have to admit to feeling slightly pressured...kind of like the first day in a new school (i still remember it to this day) and being asked to give the class a speech about yourself.

:)

Brotolemaeus
06-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks for this nice thread, useful information inside.

Sunlancer
07-10-2011, 05:55 AM
I have beta tested so many games over the years and many more, starting with Ultima online 20 years ago. I really had fun discussing topics about the game while playing it. What kind of post do you want me to make about the game, that is really contributing, if I cant play the game.

I completely agree with jambon. I am an experienced beta tester from back in Asherons Call days and while I appreciate the creative thinking of whomever set up this rule of 10, it does nothing to help writing about the game or "Contributing" if you are completely ignorant of what you are supposedly writing about.

Adjust fire please.

P.S. I see that the 10 post requirement does not apply anymore. Why not remove this thread. It only adds to the confusion. Write another one instilling the "quality" of your posts is desired.

For a key, I will write it for you :)

victory12
11-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm not defending the useless posts, just saying that we should go easy on the new members.:) They will not get into beta with 3-word posts anyway, they will eventually understand that.

andreicde
11-12-2011, 06:38 AM

um you go in pubs area and you find plenty lol

GPS51
11-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Heheh don't sweat it. The post was a bot :)

Konstantin Fomenko
11-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Good idea... unsticking this:)