PDA

View Full Version : Can't wait for clan wars

Tamiel
12-04-2010, 12:10 PM
I just a vid on youtube telling the story of a clan coalition and it does sound epic
Cant wait for this on DOF

The vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk2PI-qathU

Toth
12-04-2010, 02:16 PM
If you're interested in these things, try checking out EVE politics ;). Evony's politics are fundamentally flawed because of the constant launch of new servers. Every time a new server launches, half the population of the previous server(s) joins the new one. Offcourse new players will pretty much always join a newer server over an older server because of the advantage older players would have.

The players that do stay in their server in Evony will all end up having a ton of villages with a ton of troops. At which point the game basically stales because nobody can break eachother.

I hope DoF will have something to prevent this from happening. The only solution I can come up with is having winning conditions. The reason current MMORTS's like evony shy away from it is because players would be ****ED if all the money they put into building their cities etc. would just dissapear. But with a monthly fee this issue doesn't really exist anymore.

Now there's one interesting browser MMORTS out there which has a winning condition, Lord of Ultima. I don't quite remember it but I believe it was about placing forts on top of specific locations on the map, then controlling those. If your alliance controlled enough of those locations and held them for a certain time, the alliance leader would be crowned Lord of Ultima, and the server would reset.

The downside of this is that it would force everyone to clump together in massive alliances and eventually into 2 alliances. But that's highly likely to happen with our without winning conditions.

Tenebrion
12-04-2010, 02:22 PM
I just a vid on youtube telling the story of a clan coalition and it does sound epic
Cant wait for this on DOF

The vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk2PI-qathU

As a former Darkfall Online player, I've got to agree.

Bluecewe
12-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Clan wars are always an interesting area of MMOs, sadly most games don't practise this sort of combat to the full extent that it could be intergrated.

I believe that the only game that allows for real "clan versus clan" combat is Eve Online, as someone previously stated. In most other games guilds are formed which mainly revolve around PvE combat, even if these guilds do attempt PvP combat they do not have the objects around them to make a real "war" feeling such as structures, land masses. Essentially sovereignty.

Being that Dawn of Fantasy is a MMORTS, I would take the risk of saying that clan versus clan combat will be realised to good extent because of the core components of strategy games.

irascor
12-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Just wondering but would there be such thang as clan wars you know clan vs clan on massive scale maps?

rtejada
12-04-2010, 03:06 PM
im really hoping this can be very similiar to the "sand box" of eve online which virtually created a player-driven clan wars, politics, and "victory conditions." that was the true success of eve online and what has made it a consistent money maker.

hogtalare5
12-04-2010, 03:07 PM
is the clans determined outside of the game or will the alliances be formed ingame, like travian? both would be good but i believe i think ingame alliances is preferred for me. Because then u can betray them for money?:p

Katana
12-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Im also looking forward for clan wars. Organized fights are always more fun and strategic.

SleepS
12-04-2010, 03:20 PM
As an old school Diplomacy nerd, betrayal sounds juuust fiiiine. If this game has a solid alliance system and the ability to coordinate attacks, I'm all over it.

Toth
12-04-2010, 04:18 PM
As a former Darkfall Online player, I've got to agree.

(woot another DF veteran :P)

Darkfall's politics are boring though, it's because it's world is too small. Global banking and teleporting only add to the problem. Everyone is at every siege. Politics are nearly unexisting anymore because everyone fights everyone, everywhere.

And back in the good ol' days of hyperion vs the goons vs death alliance it was just a massive stalemate and was only broken because hyperion was rotten and about to collapse.

Both are things DoF needs to avoid although I'm not sure the latter is avoidable. The trick is to make cities slightly expendable, even if you lose yours, you should still be able to reasonably easy get back on your feet again.

biggest_kid
12-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Yes clan wars would be great in this game. Not sure about all this politics stuff though.

Gr4Ss
12-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Yes clan wars would be great in this game. Not sure about all this politics stuff though.

Politics are fun as long as you like them. For the people who just want to raid other people it's crap and they probably skip the talking and go straight to the attacking.

But the clans/alliances who have a few guys interested in PR/diplomatics will amuse themselves. Even without the game. I still remember clans already fighting on some forum before the game was actually launched.

Toth
12-04-2010, 06:53 PM
I believe you're talking about darkfall ;). There where dead alliances and remade alliances, wars, NAPs etc even before beta started

Gr4Ss
12-04-2010, 07:00 PM
I believe you're talking about darkfall ;). There where dead alliances and remade alliances, wars, NAPs etc even before beta started

I was actually talking about Mortal Online which is pretty much like DO. Mortal Online had e-drama and something worth calling a guild war before the closed beta started. I can believe DO had the same.

efz88
12-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Mortal online made me sad.

Toth
12-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Mortal online made me sad.

same here. MO is the only game that I bought but never really played. I'll probably play it sometime when the game gets better and I got no other games to play.