PDA

View Full Version : What if you want to be a mercenary?

Nermal
11-29-2010, 02:42 AM
Title pretty much explains it all. Say you want to be a mercenary without city. Just a bunch of units rampaging through the land pillaging, sacking etc
Sorta like the old game Shadow of the Horned Rat.

Will give some different kinds of dynamic ingame, people could hire you to do certain jobs,- assault your neighbour, soften them up for you. Get some specific minerals from far far away. Help defend / attack a castle you name it.

Will things like that be possible or are every player bound to have a city at all times?

nickson104
11-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Title pretty much explains it all. Say you want to be a mercenary without city. Just a bunch of units rampaging through the land pillaging, sacking etc
Sorta like the old game Shadow of the Horned Rat.

Will give some different kinds of dynamic ingame, people could hire you to do certain jobs,- assault your neighbour, soften them up for you. Get some specific minerals from far far away. Help defend / attack a castle you name it.

Will things like that be possible or are every player bound to have a city at all times?

It is impossible to not have a city. However we have put forward mercenary services as an idea, however the devs never said they would consider it. It could lead to unbalance in the game, however I think it would be a great system, a whole new economy added into the game, fully player influenced.

GPS51
11-29-2010, 11:24 AM
I see no reason why you can't pay a player to assault another player or even pay off a mercenary clan (guild) etc. Pretty hard to stop such a idea even if not supported.

szebus
11-29-2010, 01:37 PM
It could really be a good idea in a further project and then have the merchant class who can evolve faster and have high resource income, the defender class or marshal who protects the land and the traders from the attacks, he has great defense and higher lvl army units than the merchant but almost no resource income from main production, but he has a protection fee, and than there should be the bandits/mercenaries who has no home and travel the land to salvage what they got or to steal, kill and pillage everything on their way. This class could be hired by the merchants to attack another merchant, or they could just pillage whatever is in their way.

atom11
11-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Maybe that could be possible if 2 player started play together, 1 will play with classic city and second as mercenery. Mercenery will gain money if he will do mission for city player and can raise units . That could be good if someone don't like so mutch building city bat more fighting.

GPS51
11-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Well everyone has a city. I think that the the amount of troops will be related to your city level. Bigger cities can afford better troops etc.

Konstantin Fomenko
11-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Such approach is easily possible. You`ll still have a tiny village that belongs to you, just completely ignore it, and concentrating on your army(s) instead.

There will still be enough to keep you entertained:
-Quests with your army
-Army vs Environment
-Army vs Players
-Trading resources and livestock with your army
-Buying/Selling units
-Healing/Upgrading units
-Setting up Camps with your army
-Even economy with-in your army
e,t,c e,t,c

Nermal
11-29-2010, 11:15 PM
That sounds absolutely great Konstantin,- was what I was hoping and looking for:D

Jeremiah87
11-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Wow, I was hoping to hear that, that sounds like a fun style of play ;)

mrsnow327
02-14-2011, 12:35 AM
i dont think that player being able to become mercenarys is a good idea

Lord Shadow
02-19-2011, 03:24 PM
I see no reason why you can't pay a player to assault another player or even pay off a mercenary clan (guild) etc. Pretty hard to stop such a idea even if not supported.

I agree, though I think you could take this one step further & make this into a race in itself. One where certain units from each race or even new/different ones are available to make up your army. The race itself could get bonuses for military actions like attacking someone elses castle, while has degraders for trade and such.

Tolbby
02-19-2011, 10:47 PM
I can see the idea of having your army set up to be some mercenaries. Of course you would still have your city, but your army could be set up for hire.

Don't know if that's a feature or not, but the idea is now out there.

Lord Shadow, this is the first time I've seen you. You trying to get the posts up and at em?

It'sd late again, and once again I'm tired... Good night!

Lord Shadow
02-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Lets just say I like MMO & RTS and since I stopped playing UO last year.. I haven't really had a game since and I'm kinda going stir crazy.. Playing GT5, Two Worlds II, Black Ops & Sid's Civilzation on PS3 right now.. but they just can't replace a game like UO 'n I'm really hoping this game might.. Doesn't hurt that I spend hours every day knit picking my ideas of a perfect MMO in my head so I have all these opinions.. :D

MrJc
02-21-2011, 02:10 AM
lol not having a city would be pretty hard lol
maybe if they had something like a base camp or hide out for ur troops to relax at

Lord Shadow
02-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Yes and when you go into town, if you visit the inn or someplace there could be a wall of Mercs for hire. You wouldn't need to building your castle up to support everything, but rather have store houses to store all your loot from raids, and they could have a bonus where their armies camps could be harder to find & such..

darklegends8
02-21-2011, 11:19 AM
I support this idea, would be fun to play as a mercenary or hire people to fight for me. Plus it'd give the game an extra dimension.

MrJc
02-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Lets just say I like MMO & RTS and since I stopped playing UO last year.. I haven't really had a game since and I'm kinda going stir crazy.. Playing GT5, Two Worlds II, Black Ops & Sid's Civilzation on PS3 right now.. but they just can't replace a game like UO 'n I'm really hoping this game might.. Doesn't hurt that I spend hours every day knit picking my ideas of a perfect MMO in my head so I have all these opinions.. :D

lol OU i havent played that in like a year lol

Lord Shadow
02-22-2011, 12:28 PM
lol OU i havent played that in like a year lol

I haven't played in like 2 :mad:

hocus
02-22-2011, 02:50 PM
I have a few questions on this first, is it A. possible to trade resources with other players and B. a bit unrealted but is there going to be an auction house style system in the game anywhere for unique items? It would be cool to build up an army and sell their service to the highest bidder:cool:

Revenger571
02-25-2011, 05:46 PM
i like the idea about being payed to be a mercenary but i would also want to have a city :D

lionfall
02-26-2011, 04:41 AM
I think you should have a city like everyone else and then if you want to, you should be able to let other players hire your army.
Maybe it won't be possible to conquer another player with a mercenary army but they will prove good to help defend or attack or maybe even as patrols. (:

Gilamar
02-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Maybe if you wanna be a merc you get less income or something. or flimsier walls