PDA

View Full Version : stop hacking down my wall!

Vigilus
11-27-2010, 11:48 PM
So i've played a few games that allowed players to use melee units, say swordsmen, to just hack down the walls without the help of siege units. I'm referring to the stronghold series here, and it really kills the feeling of having strong walls when a dude with a sword runs up and starts hacking madly at the stone. I mean come on! :)

I hope that this won't be implemented into the game.

Toth
11-28-2010, 04:40 AM
I agree, it breaks immersion completely and is a major source of frustration for ALOT of players I can imagine. However, in return there should be plenty of siege weapons, including wooden stairs, throughout the entire game. So you'll have to be able to build siege weapons almost from the start. Otherwise the game would be extremely dull.

nickson104
11-28-2010, 08:54 AM
So i've played a few games that allowed players to use melee units, say swordsmen, to just hack down the walls without the help of siege units. I'm referring to the stronghold series here, and it really kills the feeling of having strong walls when a dude with a sword runs up and starts hacking madly at the stone. I mean come on! :)

It is not, Reverie realised that while that would be the easy thing to do, it makes no logical sense. In order to assault a stronghold you have to have a siege unit, or oversized one if i remember rightly (ogres/dragons).

It was annoying when you have your walls, but then they are ripped down by a mob of peasants wielding pitchforks... Not quite the image you want for your unconquerable city...

I agree, it breaks immersion completely and is a major source of frustration for ALOT of players I can imagine. However, in return there should be plenty of siege weapons, including wooden stairs, throughout the entire game. So you'll have to be able to build siege weapons almost from the start. Otherwise the game would be extremely dull.

Siege weapons will be important, however you can buy them at mercenary camps or create your own. Also some quests may provide some as a reward, especially early on with the starter quests. The games economy revolves greatly around quests and resources, specifically gold. Gold is the standard resource, all the others are more specific, gold is currency, trade will be important in the game. Gold can buy you a number of units at mercenary camps, and prepare you for more questing or a siege, to gain you more resources!!!

lonewolf9567
11-28-2010, 09:00 AM

Dude in stronghold, which i actually think is realistic.

Wood = Cuttable

Stone = not cuttable

szebus
11-28-2010, 09:05 AM
At least in Stronghold you can't arrow down a wall.

jleem21
11-28-2010, 11:26 AM
lol I remember that from Stronghold...Swordsmen hacking down at my walls and towers, witnessing a long crackle travel from the root to the roof always left me like. "..wtf?!" Glad to know that you their be no successful sieges consisting of nothing but standard melee units, successful only because of their mass numbers.

Nermal
11-29-2010, 01:44 AM
Surely hope theres no way a swordsman can hack through a wall, wood or stone....... Come on maybe a sword can bite on a wood palisade, but hell i dont see my men hack and slash a wooden wall and then male stroll to the blacksmith a hour after saying hey sharpen my sword again please:rolleyes:

Andy Joslin
11-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Only siege engines can get through walls, don't worry:)

raizun
11-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Yes, stronghold was cool and all but I'd prefer not to be destroyed by swordsmen! +1 for siege engines.

lonewolf9567
11-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Yes, stronghold was cool and all but I'd prefer not to be destroyed by swordsmen! +1 for siege engines.

yeah i just realized what he meant was stronghold 1.

I agree its pretty lame that swords would knock down strong walls

SmasherKao
11-29-2010, 07:10 PM
yeah good times in Stronghold xD

Homebrew
12-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Good series of games, but I do agree about the hacking at the walls, was only bad thing in the game in my opinion. Love how the defenses look in the screens for this game. Will the wood burn?

Joseph Visscher
12-02-2010, 07:39 PM
If you enemy does not have proper siege equipment he can't do anything to you inside your walls besides sieging it (preventing you from collecting resources) and shooting some arrows over the walls (you can send arrows right back though...)

Ranged siege equipment which are Human Trebuchet, Orc Catapult, and Elven Bolt Thrower are able to damage walls slowly, each of these siege engines drain stone resource to fire, this again means that if you forgot to bring stone in your siege, trying to use siege weapons are useless.

Gate Siege Equipment include the Human and Orc Battering Ram and the Elven Treent which kicks the door slowly. Gate Siege Equipment are the only units that can damage even gates, so you won't even have swordsman slashing gates to death. :rolleyes:

Third type siege equipment is the Wall Scaling Siege equipment, these include siege ladders and siege towers, they move to the walls and attach gaining access to the wall, your units can move up and gain control of the wall.
But there are many counters to the enemy Scaling your walls, but then again if done right it is by far the fastest.

Just a note about gates, each gate has gate gears behind it, if attacked by melee units it will open the gate.
You can quickly rush up with siege towers and ladders, scale the walls and fight your way to the stairwell down the stairs and over to the gate gears to open the gate; very effective if you have an army of calvary waiting to rush through the gate.

Feweh
12-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Just a question.

Are ladders a one at a time type thing.

Meaning if anyone played Stronghold you could basicly rush 50 units up one ladder in two seconds.

This isnt possible right?

nickson104
12-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Just a question.

Are ladders a one at a time type thing.

Meaning if anyone played Stronghold you could basicly rush 50 units up one ladder in two seconds.

This isnt possible right?

You can have may ladders on a wall. And you generally get about 4 units on a ladder at once, they go up in single file... This means that the defenders have a numeric advantage against ladders, towers hold more of course so its easier to break through a defense...
Siege towers must be destroyed by units, melee are most effective once latched on (or cavalry, but to get cavalry outside your walls... risky...). Ladders however are far weaker, much easier to destroy, and Im assuming can be pushed off by melee units. However ladders are FAR cheaper than siege towers.

While in other games, ranged siege weaponry is the only really viable way, in
DoF each way is perfectly plausible. But why choose one? Why not send a ram to the gates and a couple of towers to the walls? The defensive fire must be spread, meaning an increased chance of your siege equipment surviving long enough to make a difference. Send up the orcs to charge down the puny elves on their wall, make mincemeat out of them while the ram takes down the gate and storm the rest of your army in! :D Some nice slaughter :D

brittenman
12-04-2010, 03:43 AM
Well I'm glad that problem is sorted. :)