PDA

View Full Version : New Screenshots!

Konstantin Fomenko
01-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Gentlemen,

I am glad to say that we are back into the public view. We are well into production, aiming to start closed beta testing this spring. With that said - it`s time for sure to start some marketing activity - so expect to hear and see more of DoF. To get things started, we`ll be posting weekly screenshot updates every Thursday.

For the next 3 weeks we`ll be posting screenshot from Skirmish mode - the stuff you`ll see in single-player and primary multiplayer games. None of the screenshots are staged. Please note that while we did improve our visuals, we are still not all the way where we want to be...

Elven Forest - note that big trees are transparent.
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/Batch1/1.jpg

Human village - couple of minutes into the game
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/Batch1/2.jpg

Orcish swamp terrain
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/Batch1/3.jpg

Human Stronghold - 15 minutes into the game
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/Batch1/4.jpg

Konstantin Fomenko
01-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Orcish Stronghold
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/Batch1/5.jpg

Elven Stronghold
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/Batch1/6.jpg

Building some Orc units
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/Batch1/7.jpg

Human Stronghold - level 1,
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/Batch1/8.jpg

Konstantin Fomenko
01-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Elven army attacks
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/Batch1/9.jpg

Human army attacks
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/Batch1/10.jpg

SvN
01-25-2008, 04:25 AM
impressive:) but.. arent the strongholds/citys quite close to each other?:confused:

Konstantin Fomenko
01-25-2008, 11:31 AM
SvN,

Not quite sure what makes you to ask that question - if you mean about each race having their own terrain - no we manage having 3 terrain types on one map just fine. And if you mean the distance between Strongholds, it`s 2 minutes walking time for a typical unit, and 1 minute of running time for a typical unit - so, quite a large distance.

monsterfurby
01-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Wow, I am really impressed. Usually no game in this stage already has detailed shadows without major glitches. And in every other domain, the game looks very nice as well - not I'm only worried that my XPS Gen 1 Notebook might not run it :D (time for a new PC i guess).
One question, though: the minimap is scrollable, right?

SvN
01-25-2008, 12:40 PM
SvN,

Not quite sure what makes you to ask that question - if you mean about each race having their own terrain - no we manage having 3 terrain types on one map just fine. And if you mean the distance between Strongholds, it`s 2 minutes walking time for a typical unit, and 1 minute of running time for a typical unit - so, quite a large distance.

ok, sorry:p I just looked at the minimap and thought so:)

Konstantin Fomenko
01-25-2008, 01:42 PM
To answer the minimap question - it`s zoomable, and scrollable. On these screenshots you see player with minimap zoomed in on his home-city. This is a feature we need to make huge MMORTS maps work with small mini-map.

And about XPS laptop - as long as you have a decent video card which at least supports Shaders V.2, you`ll be ok.

Darvin
01-25-2008, 02:05 PM
I notice the interface has taken shape. Looking good, can't wait for next Thursday ^_^

I've always found it somewhat disorienting when you rotate the map that the minimap doesn't rotate with it. Up on my screen should correspond to up on the minimap, in my mind. Do you think it would be possible to add an option where instead of having the little box representing your field of view rotates on the minimap, that instead the field of view remains constant and the minimap rotates around it?

Konstantin Fomenko
01-25-2008, 02:17 PM
We`ll definitely add that in Darin. I also found it very annoying in most RTS games. Since we already do have the old-fashioned way coded, I think we`ll add option to select between dynamic and static minimap.

iceblast
01-25-2008, 02:52 PM
wow 4 words. very very yummy screenshots.

The Witch King of Angmar
01-25-2008, 03:35 PM
So beautiful................................... Those look awesome. Kewp up the good work.

Darvin
01-25-2008, 10:23 PM
We`ll definitely add that in Darvin. I also found it very annoying in most RTS games. Since we already do have the old-fashioned way coded, I think we`ll add option to select between dynamic and static minimap.

Making it an option is definitely the best way to do it. People should be able to pick the one that works for them.

crex719
01-25-2008, 11:38 PM
this game is getting better and better everytime I see it. I hope by the time this comes out my Pc can run it... If not ill get it for the 360 anyway..

SPARROW94
01-26-2008, 12:58 AM
PIFFT any who very glad to see the the visuels improve also... i think it still wouldnt hold agaist WARHAMMER: Battle March the other mideivel RTS for pc/360... WH BM also has more factions and probaly more creativity...any who i bet both games will have the best seige feelings ever...maybe theyll be a "blast"

Puppeteer
01-26-2008, 08:09 AM
1). Awesome visuals guys! It's great!
2). Nice mini-map in bottom right ;)
3). Noticed you have stone resource. Good. Aoe3 did bad not having that.
4). Noticed you exceed pop/nearly reach limit. Naughty naughty :)
5). This game looks complex, looks like I'm gonna have to play it a lot :D

SPARROW94
01-26-2008, 09:22 AM
we all wanna play mr. puppy

Generation
04-29-2008, 06:30 PM
if ur on a tower how do u get down to the staircase

Axal01
04-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Fantastic!

Calls up his soon-to-be-girlfriend "Sorry but I chose Dawn of Fantasy over you"

WearisomeWall
04-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Lookin' good.

Jean=A=Luc
04-30-2008, 12:51 PM
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8560/dofyf1.jpg

Ok, so how exactly does morale work in DoF?

Why is CoA specifically classified as a "defensive upgrade", just for flavor?

Is this upgrade unique to the humans or do others have something similar, does it have multiple tiers?

Tell us stuff.

:D

mcchief
04-30-2008, 04:35 PM
This game looks better and better.

Quick question about terrain. In most of the screen shots I've seen, the terrain is pretty flat where the units and settlements are. Are there going to be hilly or mountainous areas where units can go? I'd love to take a group of archers to the top of a hill where they can hold off enemies with their height (and firing distance) advantage.

I loved the varied terrain in Warrior Kings (see screens below as examples), the engine was built so that units on the high ground had a strong advantage over units on the low ground. This worked for ranged units but also for melee units as well. 10 spearmen uphill attacking 10 spearmen downhill would win every time.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/images/warriorkings_019_l.jpg

http://www.insidemacgames.com/images/warriorkings_020_l.jpg

DoF is looking fantastic! Keep up the good work Reverie!

Tynesider
05-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Yes that worked In the "Total War" series as well and made battle strategies very Important and would be fantastic to see It In this game.

Tynesider
05-01-2008, 03:03 PM
That Human stronghold looks very well developed for 15 minutes In, I hope I can cut the mustard

The Witch King of Angmar
05-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Which stronghold are you talking about?

Generation
05-01-2008, 04:07 PM
so it's the villagers who build things i see so is there going to be more screenshots

Tynesider
05-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Which stronghold are you talking about?

The 4th picture, just thought It looked pretty well developed for 15 minutes Into game.

Generation
05-02-2008, 04:07 PM
today my birthday

Jean=A=Luc
05-02-2008, 05:22 PM
today my birthday

Happy birthday. :)

wou129
05-07-2008, 07:22 AM
lol a bit late but happy birthday

Esculas the Mighty
05-26-2008, 08:32 PM
i hope thats just skirmish mode i dont wanna throw up forts that fast in mmorpg mode

Tbeaz161
05-27-2008, 05:44 PM
looks like the graphics are geting along nicely also I like the big hordes of units I wan't really big wars not those little armys of 50 that have overly sized units biger than houses

Joseph Visscher
05-27-2008, 08:40 PM
overly sized units biger than houses

We.... have a few of those too. ;)

Esculas the Mighty
05-27-2008, 08:50 PM

as long as the villagers/villager sized military arent bigger the the houses im fine

Tbeaz161
05-28-2008, 05:43 AM

Yea I'm happy as long as the normal infantry aren't bigger than houses but every game could use a few giants :)

fyro11
05-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Yea I'm happy as long as the normal infantry aren't bigger than houses but every game could use a few giants :)
Indeed! This is the problem with many games. Even if the buildings have to be quite big, it just adds to the realism and attractiveness. Like towers for example, they always look glorious. Buildings in the same way should be scaled properly in proportion to humans/dragons/orcs etc.

Esculas the Mighty
06-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Indeed! This is the problem with many games. Even if the buildings have to be quite big, it just adds to the realism and attractiveness. Like towers for example, they always look glorious. Buildings in the same way should be scaled properly in proportion to humans/dragons/orcs etc.

i kinda wanna see a dragon city wonder how it would look

wou129
06-23-2008, 12:37 AM
thay wont tell us enythingabout that and certenly not let it see stil dont got that

raving
06-23-2008, 04:38 AM
there making sure you log in every day just to check if their aint any dragon screenies online ;).

ash12181987
06-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Multiple Tower types, good good... Population count looks pretty Epic btw, wasn't it 840 in one of those screenies?

Seige engines look reasonable, the human are kinda... late medieval era basis (No grass huts to my eyes)?

Gold star I guess, as always :)

Joseph Visscher
06-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Multiple Tower types, good good... Population count looks pretty Epic btw, wasn't it 840 in one of those screenies?

Seige engines look reasonable, the human are kinda... late medieval era basis (No grass huts to my eyes)?

Gold star I guess, as always :)

This is absolutely not final at all and may changed greatly when the game is released; currently although, where looking at a population at about 1000 each player give or take depending on there side (Humans: 1000. Orcs: ****. Elves: 600-800.)

Bloom and HDR really makes these old pictures look like donkey barf dried on a railroad beam. :cool:

Ovocean
06-24-2008, 04:46 AM
Bloom and HDR really makes these old pictures look like donkey barf dried on a railroad beam. :cool: What if you took 10min to produce newer than new screenshots for us hungry fans, instead of training at trash poetry on the forums? ^^

ash12181987
06-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Military units count towards your population don't they?

And the pictures still look good ;)

Andy Joslin
06-24-2008, 09:42 AM
What if you took 10min to produce newer than new screenshots for us hungry fans, instead of training at trash poetry on the forums? ^^
We would if we could, I'm getting tired of Joseph's poetry too.:p

HDR/Bloom screenshots will be posted soon after HDR and Bloom are finished, as they are still in progress.

sharplion
06-25-2008, 12:39 PM
oh my....this is to lovely to be true, I love the sprites and the graphics and I love the tranparency in the big trees.

I look so forward to DoF, keep up the good work guys!

Thiefbrood
06-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Wow, this game looks even better than the trailer that I saw!

Neotyguy40
06-28-2008, 10:25 AM
We would if we could, I'm getting tired of Joseph's poetry too.:p

HDR/Bloom screenshots will be posted soon after HDR and Bloom are finished, as they are still in progress.

Wow... I JUST noticed that reverie posts in blue...

Puppeteer
06-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Well Done, Mr. Observant.

We would if we could, I'm getting tired of Joseph's poetry too.
Try an old version of his gladiator map... dear god that was bad.

Anyway, back to the house > man issue, it was funny to see on say Aoe2 / Aoe3 that the peasant could barely fit through the door, let alone live in there with 4 others in a cupboard.

entvex
07-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Nice screenshots :D

Joseph Visscher
07-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Well Done, Mr. Observant.

Try an old version of his gladiator map... dear god that was bad.

Anyway, back to the house > man issue, it was funny to see on say Aoe2 / Aoe3 that the peasant could barely fit through the door, let alone live in there with 4 others in a cupboard.

"Old version", that was made when I was probably 15, :P yea still, new gameplay which I think was better gameplay then bfme2's.
Gladiator underworld series was pretty crappy, gladiator servants of Saroun was a lot more balanced.
:)

Loholt
07-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Impressive indeed. I'm really excited about this game, just hope my PC can run it.

The Witch King of Angmar
07-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Sketchie
07-08-2008, 02:05 AM
Very excited for this game as well. I have been watching this game for a while,hoping it will be out soon :D

raving
07-12-2008, 04:11 AM
your not alone sketchie ^^ cant wait for the beta

Puppeteer
07-12-2008, 04:46 AM
gladiator servants of Saroun
Indeed that was fun... I especially liked Vergoth :p

nickson104
07-13-2008, 10:57 AM
That Human stronghold looks very well developed for 15 minutes In, I hope I can cut the mustard

Yeah it does look EXTREMELY well developed for 15 mins....
I hope its not that fast for most games? 15 minutes and its that well developed might cause trouble to my way of playing and building to make things look good as well as function well :)
The screenshots look good anyway

Tomas1297
07-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Yeah it does look EXTREMELY well developed for 15 mins....
I hope its not that fast for most games? 15 minutes and its that well developed might cause trouble to my way of playing and building to make things look good as well as function well :)
The screenshots look good anyway

Ever played Dawn of War with a timer?<.< 15 mins isnt that short....

nickson104
07-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Nah i never use a timer... maybe its not that short then lol but most of my conflicts are usually extended stalemates until someone slips up and loses due to that minor setback

Tomas1297
07-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Nah i never use a timer... maybe its not that short then lol but most of my conflicts are usually extended stalemates until someone slips up and loses due to that minor setback

15 mins is the time which takes a weaker-than-normal-difficulty-risk-taking-player to win in a 4 player free for all HQ destroying match vs an easy AI on biffys peril map...

nickson104
07-13-2008, 11:36 AM
I only ever played MP with my mates so i really wouldnt know about that, our matches were about pride and fun, we werent the best but we werent terrible thats for sure, we like to drag things out to make them more fun

And besides this game is NOT going to be a repeat of DoW please lol, i really couldnt stick that multiplayer :( and besides it had guns and such so i kinda hated the game for that reason lol