PDA

View Full Version : Armour, weapons, buildings

Kire
09-19-2010, 09:43 AM
It would be nice if you could choose for your units the weapon skin (5 different kind of spears for spearman-example) or armour or even building stile (like now is medieval for humans and than would be also ancient/norse/fantasy/more "evil" themed ....). It would only affect the look.

This would go perfect with that payment method that will be in this game (or if you manage to collect ingame enough points). Trough time more and more skins would be made to choose from and buy. More customizations is always fun and there would be more stuff to sell to ppl beside new quests =).
Maybe some would be also impossible quest or achievement reward so those ppl could feel special in a way =P.

I am not computer pro so dont know how hard is to make those sort of skins.

Guard of Olympus
09-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Sounds like a very good idea to me, although I am totally against paying for it.

Henry Martin
09-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Sounds like a very good idea to me, although I am totally against paying for it.

That's why you can use ingame points to pay for it (which is basiclly saying its free, you just have to work for it:)).

Guard of Olympus
09-19-2010, 10:51 AM
True, guess you're right. Unlockable content is always good, but I think these skins should be really cheap so most people can get them. :)

Puppeteer
09-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Au contraire - I think that they should be enough so that if you bought lots of skins, you'd have few ingame points to spend on more important research. That way people don't just adorn their armies with all available skins, and so the skins become a little more personal than they otherwise would.
I like this idea. If Reverie's lacking ideas for small patches just to maintain interest later on, this is something they could definitely indulge in. This could be part of a greater customisation patch, including customising spellcasters and the lord ;)

(Easter Egg - turn your lord into a lady!)

GPS51
09-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Yeah I'd agree with puppeteer on this one. I'd love to see this as DLC since you don't "have" to have $$ to get influence points and spend them on DLC. I'd love to see their art department spend a few weeks cranking them out and then you could have DLC for months or a 2 year span. How cool :)

Negthareas
09-30-2010, 09:19 AM
I also concur with Puppeteer on this... it sounds like a great idea that would not affect gemplay, but will make the experience of the game better.

srpiccoro
10-02-2010, 06:54 AM
And it could be made that soldiers are randomly spawned with parts of each "skin" so that each soldier looks relatively unique

Henry Martin
10-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Medieval 2 total war was the first game in the total war's to do this. The unit mesh were broken up into several parts (shoulder pads, waist down, waist up, head, arms, accessories) in one file and the engine randomly chose them. Each mesh had a different texture on them.

I definitely would like to see randomness in the units armor (both mesh and texture wise).

Kire
10-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Medieval 2 total war was the first game in the total war's to do this. The unit mesh were broken up into several parts (shoulder pads, waist down, waist up, head, arms, accessories) in one file and the engine randomly chose them. Each mesh had a different texture on them.

I definitely would like to see randomness in the units armor (both mesh and texture wise).

Well for this game, i guess, the units will have less detail than those at total war and since you need large picture you may rarely also look at most close range. So in the end beside head/overall armour/weapon you would barely see those waist/pads/accessories....
In my opinion if game had different skin for every part of body and would be available in online thingy than the gear choice of ppl could be very clownish =), so i would support just overall armour and weapon skin =) -> in this case it would be pointless to have random gear skin spawn (or maybe just for weapon skin).
JUst my thinking =).

Henry Martin
10-02-2010, 12:00 PM
actually you would be surprised a low poly the total war units are. I have modeled units for total war mods and seen there meshs in a 3d editor. I would say they are only slightly more detailed then the units in dof.

most of the detail would be textures and little with different meshes. You could have different symbols on shields, wooden shield textures, patterns on breastplats, chainmail, plate armor, helmet, no helmet, cloak hood down, no cloak.

If this idea doesn't make its way into the default games (which I don't think it will), but might come in DLC. I probably try to do a modd for this after the game is released. would also welcome help.:)

nickson104
10-05-2010, 03:54 AM
This would go perfect with that payment method that will be in this game (or if you manage to collect ingame enough points). Trough time more and more skins would be made to choose from and buy. More customizations is always fun and there would be more stuff to sell to ppl beside new quests =).

Sounds great. It sounds very much like LoL to me. They use a system where you can purchase characters using ingame poins, but can only buy skins using RIOT points which you must purchase. It meant that skins had value and were more personal.

However it would perfectly compliment the system DOF is said to use, we could purchase skins using points we buy (or earn very slowly through playing the game)... influence/favour I do believe was the proposed name of said points... It would be a great way to support the game. It means that minitransactions can be made to support the system, in a way that wont affect the balance of the game, and can be a great way to reward players who have played a long time.

Although, I think it should be a one time purchase of a certain 'army theme', which can be applied to your army as a whole. It would be very expensive but be permenant (unless replaced by another). This would mean that the effort isnt wasted if for example; your rank 10 Norse Archer battalion is slain while your rank 10 standard archer battalion lives to fight another day.

Having this level of customisation would reward players and be a lot more fun and varied. Many people are willing to pay for new skins, as long as its a sensible price of course.

Henry Martin
10-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Yes gamers are fashion fanatics. Most just don't want to admit it, but you can look at their avatars. Half of Wow is a shopping/fashion game like so many others.

nickson104
10-08-2010, 03:06 AM
Yes gamers are fashion fanatics. Most just don't want to admit it, but you can look at their avatars. Half of Wow is a shopping/fashion game like so many others.

Indeed, which is quite the opposite of Guild Wars, mostly because Guild Wars doesnt give such a wide variety, and mismatched armours rarely look good on it...

Kire
10-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Just give them megalomanic shoulders and weapons and they will look epic (WoW sarcasm).

blackfang
10-09-2010, 12:07 PM
What about one skin for each CD KEY:D you make it then no change unless you buy the game again! Else its the custom skins:D

Vigilus
11-27-2010, 11:32 PM
I loved the total war series, and I hope the developers implement this idea. As long as this works well with the game engine that is!
I wouldn't want the scale of the game reduced to give me fewer more detailed units. I'd rather zoom out and see the big picture!

Jeremiah87
11-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Overall sets would probably be best.

oddi74
12-06-2010, 11:14 AM
if it weren't way to big prize on the skins it would be cool

12-06-2010, 03:55 PM
it would be cool if you could personalize your army a little bit with armor spears so they are not all cookie cutter. But for me more of the color of the armor and the coat of arms is enough as long as its clearly defined and you can pick the pattern and emblem of your army that would make me happy. I know like on potbs you could actually create your own banner get it approved and use it on your ship instead of ones that were just in the game by default that would be cool.

Zackreaver
12-06-2010, 04:24 PM

Tis the truth, for DFO and LoL I've actually spent some cash to get avatar pieces and skins. I did it because I wanted to look different from the commonfolk.

I like that aspect of a game, we like a game enough that we want to be more than just a common peasant, we want to buy our way into royalty, and considering we have to pay with actual cash, why not? For dungeon fighter I barely even care that the avatar pieces give bonus stats, I didn't need them at all when I didn't have them, they just give tiny little stat boosts as an added bonus for people that were willing to contribute their money. Also you could trade or sell the pieces you didn't like for in game currency from other players.

There is nothing wrong with charging players for cosmetics, if they don't effect your ability to play then you don't need them to keep up with others. Of course it's also nice when they decide to give you options to get them on your own with in game currency there is still nothing wrong with offering us real money exclusive purchase's.

Damnedghost
12-07-2010, 01:36 PM
If the skins would be unlock-able than I would consider getting them, but as I am fiercely against DLC for $ I would probably leave it.

Commander
12-14-2010, 04:02 AM
What about weapons and armor ? Will it be produced by smiths or all soldiers could have equipment without producing it ? I mean do I need to produce weapon and armor , to equip my soldiers ?

Vasito
12-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Yeah they said some features may be added in the form of DLC-s

Winterwolf00
12-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Are we talking about being able to choose from a pre-made selection of weapons and armor or making custom designs from scratch.

Prootzel
01-19-2011, 03:47 PM
I like this idea a lot. As was stated earlier, most gamers are actually fashion freaks who don't want to admit it. But this brings up something else that I think would be a good addition on this skins idea.

If any of you have played mass effect 2 you know how the armor system in that game worked, but for those who haven't, depending on what you equipped on Shepard it had certain bonuses and weakness. I think a skin system in this fashion would be awesome, in where (outside of the existing levelling/upgrade system) where depending on what your units are wearing it influences their stats in a certain way. Longer bows? Longer range, but also a longer firing time or something. Heavier Armor? More defense, but slower. Little percentage boosts that can give you that tiny edge in a direction you might want, without giving a distinct advantage.

This way, I think, is the best way to approach these kinds of cosmetic changes. They have some meaning, so you would want to use them, but its nothing that makes them better than anything else, its more just honing your characters to play the way you like. The more customization you have, in my opinion, the better.

valodimer
01-20-2011, 01:40 AM
dont make it too cheap though... then ppl lose motivation quickly

Rycon
01-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Hon introduced a system similar to this and it is very popular among its gamers.

Putkonen
01-20-2011, 08:22 AM
About the customization of the armies, I'd prefer a system about like this:

1. You're able to buy new skins with influence points that you earn just by playing game.

2. Special events, tournaments, achievements that are organized sometimes by the reverie studios team, I mean wouldnt you like to get something on top of your nice price for beating all your enemies in a bloody tournament, a very rare skin for your armies, that could only be worn by tournament champions. (Yes, atleast I'd like to distinguish myself from the "normal" players).

3. Quests, Some quests would be made for those that are interested about how their army looks, these quests wouldnt involve great economical prizes, but instead they would offer something else for players that already have enough resources to spend, they would get a nice skin for doing a pretty hard quest.

(4.) this is a bit far imagined thing, But I think it could be possible to make your own skins in an armoury or something and create something personal and unique, "yes, all colours of rainbow for my armour please." and this system would also be using the influence points you gain during the game, so some colours or options could be made unaccessable/very high cost, that players couldnt just recreate those unique armors I introduced in the second step of the system.

I'm not sure about how that all sounds to you, but I hope you gave a thought for it, the idea isn't complete ofcourse but it can be modified to fit the game system.

Overlawd
01-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Gonna have to put my elitism face on for this one...

Content like the for mentioned should be something of a FEAT if you will. Not like an achievement. But a properly timed investment, To set you apart. The currency would be something you use on things that upgrade your armies and such...So you can't just go buying everything and being pretty and a challenge, You need to be strong enough to afford the luxury of the skin..

So that if people don't make the correct tactical decisions they pay for it :)

thanius
01-20-2011, 10:26 PM
I think the motion of the unit is important too i see gameplay and they still look like robot