PDA

View Full Version : Role-play?

Naorforu
09-10-2010, 03:53 AM
Yeah, so, it's a simple question for a great game (hopefully).

-Will you support officaly Role-play within your servers?
-Will you allow Role-play at all?
-Is there a way to do such thing?

By Role-play I mean, since it's a MMORTS, to handle situations according to the plot, place, situation rather than anyone's personally ideal of attacking anyone, everywhere to make sure they get the highest rating and resources.

Hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to ask.

Gruber12
09-10-2010, 04:22 AM
I love role playing its great fun.... Ooo you mean ingame.... nevermind *walks away* :rolleyes:

blackfang
09-13-2010, 08:04 AM
roleplay is fun, ingame or out of the game... Depends on what game, the roleplay maps in starcraft are awesome:D Too bad there are noone who can roleplay at all:(

LiTos456
09-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Might be an RP chat channel.

blackfang
09-18-2010, 11:23 AM
awesome:D :D

Peppovitch
09-18-2010, 11:42 AM
roleplay is fun, ingame or out of the game... Depends on what game, the roleplay maps in starcraft are awesome:D Too bad there are noone who can roleplay at all:(

Unfortunately, Starcraft is not the type of game that attracts many Rpers.

blackfang
09-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Roleplay (http://cortexrp.com/beta/)
Here you go, the starcraft 2 map with roleplay all the commands should be there as well:D

EmpressHebihime
09-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Roleplay is great. I do it almost everyday. And I hope they will support it. :)

Kyzarin
11-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Whether the game officially supports it or not, it will most likely be possible to RP. I'm an RPer myself, and if others want to RP with me in this game, that will make it more fun for all of us. Perhaps we should start an RP guild for this.

SilverLeaf
11-06-2010, 09:02 AM
role play and RTS dont really work very well.

Espadachim
11-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Heh, back at AoKH there are (or at least were) a few folks who dedicated at making RPGs with the AoK editor. I remember even playtesting one.:D

Kyzarin
11-08-2010, 01:15 PM
I know I've seen RPG scenarios made for RTS games like AoK and BFME2. I've always found these fun to play. However, I think the OP is wondering whether RP will be supported in the MMO portion of this game, and that's harder to say. It would be more challenging to RP in an RTS than in an MMORPG, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen.

N3V312M0123
11-26-2010, 09:15 PM
RPing in RTS games won't really work, especially in games like SC2. this game on the other hand, with a more persistent feel, should be a RPers dream.

LordShaden
12-04-2010, 05:50 PM
This isn't a straight RTS to my understanding MMORTS. So I suppose, you can RP to a certain extent..I just wouldn't expect everyone to RP back. =P

zudalu
12-04-2010, 06:08 PM
rts does not leave alot of time to think about RP

SleepS
12-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Given the atmosphere of the actual game and the persistent element, there should be plenty of room for RP. Even if there isn't, it looks pretty good in terms of meta-RP, like roleplaying alongside playing the game as the mechanics allow.
And given the nature of the macro-scale of the game, if it ends up looking like Total War, with a world map and a battle sequence both being part of the game, then on the world map you'd absolutely be able to take your time and RP to your heart's content.

ZuluDawn
12-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Hmm, i think roleplay would be alright. But you would only be able to RP as a king/queen... so limits your options really.

sania2
12-05-2010, 08:48 AM
+1.... or the hired warlord..... or chief...

MilwaukeeMac
12-05-2010, 11:01 AM
I love to roleplay and hope to meet other roleplayers in this MMO

Fangg
12-06-2010, 04:30 AM
It would be funny to Roleplay in a RTS, but i find it hard to do. Who will play the elfs a peace loving race, that just wants to be left alone. And vicious disorganised Orcs what will get killed i huge numbers, in their own ranks before a battle even starts. And the Humans, well, some greedy, some peace loving, smart and cunning. Then I think everyone would play as human, because it just seems more fun and the many ways to play as human.

onafets
12-06-2010, 12:01 PM
This game is going to be awesome!

Kyzarin
12-06-2010, 01:38 PM
To actually make it work, it may take putting together an RP faction/alliance (or whatever they are in this game--I'm assuming this game has a 'guild' system) in which the purpose of the faction is to create opportunities for RP within the game. It may be a bit more challenging to RP in an MMORTS than, say, an RPG game, but it will be no less fun.

This isn't a straight RTS to my understanding MMORTS. So I suppose, you can RP to a certain extent..I just wouldn't expect everyone to RP back. =P

I personally wouldn't try to RP with the random person I meet. In a game like this, it would be necessary to agree ahead of time to RP.

It would be funny to Roleplay in a RTS, but i find it hard to do. Who will play the elfs a peace loving race, that just wants to be left alone. And vicious disorganised Orcs what will get killed i huge numbers, in their own ranks before a battle even starts. And the Humans, well, some greedy, some peace loving, smart and cunning. Then I think everyone would play as human, because it just seems more fun and the many ways to play as human.

Elves and Orcs have more variations within their races than you seem to believe. There can be just as many different elves as humans. For example, one elf might hate orcs like none other and do everything he can to defeat them. Another elf living nearby might think the first elf is entirely too aggressive, and that it's better to only deal with the enemies that actually pose a threat. With a little imagination, numerous possibilities exist, including ones that don't fit the standard stereotypes.

Asatru
12-06-2010, 03:33 PM
To be honest, i dont know if RP will be good on a game like this, after all its a RTS.

I used to play Eve online and RP as a Amarrian, you where a pilot and could easly do this, but i am not sure how to RP a entire kingdom.

Because with Eve you where part of a RP faction you could do RP with it, but with this game you yourself are the RP faction so how do you RP from there, like Kyzarin says :

For example, one elf might hate orcs like none other and do everything he can to defeat them. Another elf living nearby might think the first elf is entirely too aggressive, and that it's better to only deal with the enemies that actually pose a threat. With a little imagination, numerous possibilities exist, including ones that don't fit the standard stereotypes.

For me that means ( translate ) everybody will have the freedom to RP how they see fit, i prefer to be atleast some guide line's for RP.

Errant
12-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Unfortunately, Starcraft is not the type of game that attracts many Rpers.

I find your statement amusing. Starcraft and Diablo is where I began to role play. However, it wasn't so much in the game but on Battle.net where role play occurred.

It's hard to role play in any kind of video game with text because, well, you have to do so much. Particularly in combat.

But it's not impossible and it is fun if done right. Indeed, a peer and I would often role play in the middle of Starcraft 2 games. Granted, it was to annoy the opponents and throw them off balance but still.

Errant
12-06-2010, 05:44 PM
To be honest, i dont know if RP will be good on a game like this, after all its a RTS.

I used to play Eve online and RP as a Amarrian, you where a pilot and could easly do this, but i am not sure how to RP a entire kingdom.

Because with Eve you where part of a RP faction you could do RP with it, but with this game you yourself are the RP faction so how do you RP from there, like Kyzarin says :

For example, one elf might hate orcs like none other and do everything he can to defeat them. Another elf living nearby might think the first elf is entirely too aggressive, and that it's better to only deal with the enemies that actually pose a threat. With a little imagination, numerous possibilities exist, including ones that don't fit the standard stereotypes.

For me that means ( translate ) everybody will have the freedom to RP how they see fit, i prefer to be atleast some guide line's for RP.

You don't so much as role play an entire kingdom, although you could, but as an individual in the kingdom. Normally you assume the role of the commander or king or queen, basically whoever is in charge.

However, if you so desire, you could easily pretend to be a witness. What I mean to say, either a soldier or peasant who bares witness to the events that unfold. See it all through that person's eyes.

Zeluk
12-08-2010, 12:20 AM
As for the question of whether the game will officially support RP my guess is no. Don't misinterpret that though, just because they wont officially support it doesn't mean they wont allow it. My guess is they haven't given it much thought and are much more concerned about other things. Now it is interesting to see how many RP'ers are here. Tell you what when the game goes live find me in-game and we can RP.

Nathikal
12-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Take into account the editor, which could probably create utterly massive worlds for RPers to establish their own story, starting from scratch. I would not be surprised if at some point not long after release, there is an entirely new game world that people are using to RP in.

As to whether or not RP is possible? I honestly think it is. Aside from a myriad of scenarios which you can create as time goes, as well as political intrigue between nations, various in-game events, etc., the game does lend itself to RP through the quests and the player avatar in game.

Let's be honest - RP doesn't usually require dozens of skirmishes each turn. While I'm sure that the combat aspect will be anything but negated, I would expect more along the lines of epic battles rather than a flurry of tiny fights. Would make an RP game more...interesting, perhaps. Not as cutthroat on the surface, but it could easily go very, very deep.