PDA

View Full Version : Looking good devs...

Noel Bohac
09-08-2010, 12:36 PM
While I just finally am able to post here ( thank you admins) I have watched this game for a bit. I am really impressed with which way you are taking it. As a developer (not in the gaming industry) I am also impressed with how you are taking the steps to do it right. Being a gamer for 20+ years and going on my 4...something years of life, I must admit I have been waiting the longest time for a game like this to show itself.

People (friends) tell me , so why didn't you just make it, my response, "while coding isn't so hard, coding games is a nightmare" and I know the devs know what I mean by this. I do inventories, banking etc, so alas I know "how" but I don't want to do it. You really need the drive and motivation to want to do a game more then a paycheck and while I would have this drive, I have learned from other friends in the industry how hard it really is. I just don't think I could go threw those paces at my age, like it where I am :) but I don't mind script work etc, so if you ever need another tester hit me up ! :) (Self plug, sure why not )

Ok, so to the point, can't wait for the game guys, looks awsome. You probably are wondering "ok, so what was it that made this guy want a game like this for years?" Ahh simple answer really. If you ever played a game called dark age of camelot you know where I am coming from. While out of this genre all togather, it's concept is the same. Level and seiging, however you have more which I always wanted daoc to have. That is controlling your lands, customizing your towns/keeps defenses, etc.. plus nothing is more saticifying then doing the work to get your defenses up and seeing the little iconic minions building it for you. Sure is it really needed? Not really, but you get that sense of accomplishment watching it go up.

I love the details you are going for and the depth you are aiming at, anything I can do or we as a whole can do to better the path to which you want to take the game let us know for sure. I have let my clan know EXG , that this is a game too look at. If it wasn't for one of my friends, I would have never knew this game even exsisted. I read in a post rescently that your publisher is taking over the reigns of advertisment etc? Well good to see you will get some spot light, the game really needs it. The only advice as a long time gamer I can give to you is better screens and or videos.

Sadly today, games catch players more by the looks then anything, while your game doesn't need such, it is what gamers want. People can deny this , but you, me and many know this is not the case. People like fancy graphics and your game has it when we see the high rez shots. As an older gamer thou, I could appreciate this game in low pixel count as the concept is that which I always wanted. Thou, I won't argue a nice graphiclly enhanced game as yours doesn't hurt :)

Anyways, I be rambling at this point, I do look forward to seeing what you come out with in the next few months and hope to see a great release in what should be a huge success in the rts x4 genre.

-Guardious

LiTos456
09-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Hey, and welcome to the forum guardious!
I'm glad you're looking forward to the game. Based on what you've said, I can guarantee you'll enjoy it very much :)

Have fun and welcome again.

Noel Bohac
09-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome, I notice that the forums are slow, but alas I take that from the fact the game is just not well known yet. Once their marketing kicks in it should do great. I know allot of people interested and have forward the info to them. Again thank you for the welcome, look forward for things to come.

GPS51
09-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Yeah it's quiet right now as people are getting back from holidays/starting school etc. It should pick up as people get back into their routines and the beta march continues forward.

LiTos456
09-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Yeah things have been quite lately for mixed reasons. Don't worry, it'll pick up again soon.

Alex Walz
09-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the kind words! :)

And I apologize for the low-res screenshots, that's my fault. When I took the job, I was under the impression that Kon would still be taking all the screenshots. :rolleyes: But those days are behind us now as I got a new computer and am retaking all our old press screenshots, which you guys will see most of this Friday! All of our current screenshots are outdated too as we're enhancing the graphics every week. But Friday's should be 'final' as far as the GUI goes - still doing some texture variants and new hero models and textures and some small work here and there.

But yes, we have had some struggles with getting the attention of the press but I'm confident our publisher (who, I might add, seems as excited as Reverie) will do a great job. :)

GPS51
09-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Sounds great Alex. Does this mean the FF will come out at an earlier time on "Friday"??? Congrats on the new system too. :)

Alex Walz
09-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Heh, most likely. :p It depends if I can finish my orc town in time and stick it in there. ^_^

GPS51
09-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Well if you remember that sleeping is over rated that's like 6+ hours right there. Now get on it! :P

blackfang
09-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Or you can use that hypersleep thingie, 4 hours on half an hour off. Repeat:D Should give you alot of time too:rolleyes:

Noel Bohac
09-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Again thnx for the replies,

You do have a great game coming and it is also good to read that you guys are coming out with more updated screens and information. Glad the publisher seems to be seeing the light in giving this title the needed press.

I was talking with some friends over the week and they raised some good concerns, which after reviewing the information provided so far has not been remarked here , so here are my questions.

1. NAT- Sense the system is based on on peer to peer, have you guys delt with the NAT issue? As you know many users are pretty much blind when it comes to technical issues such as router settings and the like. So have or will you be designing a system that auto NAT's the port settings and finds one that will work with others?

I bring up a good title but sadly failed because of bad NET code called Demigods, great game in the end but failed at launch for over half of the population couldn't get a connection to others or failed in game.

2. Counter Memory Hacks- It's multiplayer, it has a way to make bragging rights with the presistant world system. So in this, we always know that the hackers will come around and try to smack some power love to those willing to pay the price and of course lessen the fun for the majority. Have you guys considered or implmenting memory detection hacks?

Personally, I found simple memory random checks works, they can try to "hack around it" but random variables are pretty much safe unless they change the main core of the code threw reverse engineering. Eh thoughts, but I am again thinking about what has been ran into in past senarios.

Sense again I and my friends talked about these things, it is obvious these concerns are starting to become for front in most mp games. Hence the reason why I think Co-Op game play is starting to become more and more wanted then actual pvp game play.

Please don't take these questions as an attack on your coding and or system or knowlege that these things could or could not occure. It is in the end, just questions from a group of guys whom have real interest in long term game play with this title.

Thank you for your time,

-Guardious

ps. I do realize in some cases you can't directly respond to such things and if that is the case that is fine, can always just say, "it's on the board" and I will get it. Again, looks awsome guys and no matter what is said here we will be playing, but it's more to the persistant world (which we are highly interested in playing as a clan) that these questions comes from.

Edit:::: old post from prior to joining the team, Ahh seeing the game new then, it was a aww inspiring, blast now, but I remember when I posted this.

tribute
02-11-2011, 03:36 PM
i agree it's looking good

Gogo3
02-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Great i really like it

Dracus
02-11-2011, 11:56 PM
>_> You guys are soo lucky you can get to play dawn of fantasy even if its unfinished. I raid only 9 hours a week in WOW and HAVE NOTHING TO DO. (gaming wise) The worst part is the suspense on the beta date and not even knowing if I'm gonna make the cut is KILLING me lol.

LiTos456
02-13-2011, 09:37 AM
>_> You guys are soo lucky you can get to play dawn of fantasy even if its unfinished. I raid only 9 hours a week in WOW and HAVE NOTHING TO DO. (gaming wise) The worst part is the suspense on the beta date and not even knowing if I'm gonna make the cut is KILLING me lol.

Who, the devs?
Lol, it's really not the same making a game and playing it. Most of them probably want to go and play something else already, it can get really tiring.

Dracus
02-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Who, the devs?
Lol, it's really not the same making a game and playing it. Most of them probably want to go and play something else already, it can get really tiring.

It might get tiring, but you can still get to play the games you want :P. Right now WoW is back to being boring. Raid Raid Raid Raid and that is it everything else is boring.