PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife AI

Pilgrim
08-26-2010, 06:42 AM
http://www.reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff35/4.jpg

is that a wild deer watching the battle unfold?

Gruber12
08-26-2010, 07:10 AM
its waiting to loot the bodies :D

Alex Walz
08-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Elven deer aren't really wild, they live in harmony with the elves. The elves can raise them but don't hunt them, and in turn, they learn not to be afraid of the elves like they would be of any other race and provide a slow trickle of food. So it's pretty common to see small herds just hanging out within elven walls.

LoveToKill
08-26-2010, 01:11 PM
@gruber LoL your right they are!

Puppeteer
08-27-2010, 05:04 AM
Morbid deer waits for man-hunt!

Gruber12
08-27-2010, 06:05 AM
do the elves get t ride them into battle :rolleyes:

GPS51
08-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Nah elves prefer unicorns to ride into battle on.

Gruber12
08-27-2010, 11:20 AM
ill take the deer :rolleyes:

Tamiel
08-28-2010, 03:39 AM
i want magical floating orbs to ride in on

teejai
08-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Magical floating orbs with a cup holder and trunk to store your plunder in! Now that would be awesome..

GPS51
08-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Ever see a treant carrying off plunder?

teejai
08-29-2010, 06:41 PM
Carry with their hands? No need to when they ample space in their 'trunk'.. :p

Pilgrim
09-04-2010, 11:53 AM
gotta say lol :D

Raulaun
09-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Elven deer aren't really wild, they live in harmony with the elves. The elves can raise them but don't hunt them, and in turn, they learn not to be afraid of the elves like they would be of any other race and provide a slow trickle of food. So it's pretty common to see small herds just hanging out within elven walls.

The elves dont eat them?

Deer cheese?

Mmmmm

blackfang
09-09-2010, 02:37 PM
The elves don't eat them just like that, the elves make them live a happy life for some time. Then they find out they need food. So instead of eating the deer they... HORRIBLY MUTILATE THEM AS THEY SACRIFICE THEM TO THEIR EVIL GODS IN A RAIN OF BLOOD AND INTESTINES. After that they eat dinner:rolleyes:

Joseph Visscher
09-16-2010, 11:36 AM
http://www.reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff35/4.jpg

is that a wild deer watching the battle unfold?

Thats nothing, wait till you see the pack of wolves hunting down deer, and your unprotected livestock, and hit and run tactics on week unsuspecting peasants and laborers.
Wolves are the smartest AI creep/animal in DoF right now. I hate winters, if you forget to bring your cows in from the meadow they all get killed and eaten and the only real effective way to kill a pack of wolves is to follow them to there den and slaughter them when they sleep in the day because they don't flee because it is their 'place', good for flaming arrows. :D

One true story I'll tell you when I was finished programing them and testing them out in a real environment:
The wolves right away started to hunt near my camp, so I sent marauders to shoot at them with flaming arrows(marauders hunt deer so it is their competition, more the wolves kill and eat the less food you get!), and well, the flaming arrows started a forest fire :(, wind was on my side that digital day and started its way away from my camp.

I wanted to see what was going to happen with the wolves and wildfire so I cheated and turned off fog of war so I could see everything across the map (all unexplored terrain).
I sat there watching the smartest thing I've seen my wolves do, They where fleeing from the fire obviously, but they also had a deer running away from the fire along side them aswell, when the fire was at far enough distance, they noticed the deer and started chasing after the deer which was now between them and the forest fire.
That deer started running back and forth between them and the forest fire trying to escape both dangers. The wolves then continued to chase the deer right into the fire, the fire made quick work of burning the deer alive. After the deer was in the fire the wolves continued to flee away to their den.

After the forest fire burned itself out and after the wolves where done sleeping, guess what they did? They went straight to the burnt deer, nice night to eat the nice toasted deer steaks still black and charcoaled. :D

Yea so, overall smart troublesome wolves seem like a cool thing to make, but it is by far the most annoying creation I have ever invented, I made them and they are completely unpredictable, I cannot figure them out in what they may do next. One thing for sure, if your facing wolves, you want to be an elf, because Elves have a untold ability to tame viscous Wolves... ;)

Birethos bentita akkando Wolves, uka Na'Pha Khallee, Nhoblio Ga Bol'Mallee with Wolves of Fores’l

GPS51
09-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Wow sounds epic. Years from now people will say "remember the wolves from dof" that's how wildlife should play out. You heard it here first folks.

Guard of Olympus
09-16-2010, 11:48 AM
That sounds extremely awesome and raises my expectations for this game even more (Which should be impossible, they're already sky high)!

blackfang
09-18-2010, 11:21 AM
I want to have as smart wolves as i can and then recruit them:D Perhaps i can even integrate them into my kingdom as normal citizen:D

Konstantin Fomenko
09-18-2010, 03:11 PM
I want to have as smart wolves as i can and then recruit them

That just might be possible. Elven Wardens can tame wolfs and they`ll follow them as pets.

blackfang
09-20-2010, 10:48 AM
That just might be possible. "removed" Wardens can tame wolfs and they`ll follow them as pets.

If you just remove the part i removed i would be over joyed:D I just don't like elves:( Human hunters? Orc hunters? Why are they discriminated? Not that i hate it i just don't like the idea that only the enemies will have wolves:( Especially not that smart, that will just make it impossible to win:rolleyes:

srpiccoro
09-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Then shouldn't the elves be able to call for nature's aid in battle? It would make sense following your statement that the wildlife should help the elves defend their settlements.

blackfang
10-01-2010, 06:20 AM
Perhaps but the wolves are far from wildlife, they are smarter then the common players!

srpiccoro
10-02-2010, 07:50 AM
Well, in that case the wolves should be a faction by themselves....now that would be awesome

Joseph Visscher
10-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Then shouldn't the elves be able to call for nature's aid in battle? It would make sense following your statement that the wildlife should help the elves defend their settlements.

Most battles bring fire, fire makes wildfires. Nature runs to the Elves for safety not war mongering. :rolleyes:

Well, in that case the wolves should be a faction by themselves....now that would be awesome

No, Wolves are just the predators of Gaia, they feed on the other wildlife, and unprotected livestock. ;) They are what I like to call, Super Creeps, we have 'creeps' here and there, raiders, muggers, goblins that just want to gut your army at any chance they can. But Wolves, they aren't really after your army, there after your food/meat, their trying to annoy you while eating your only food you have left in winter! A damn it those where my last cows!

Orcs also hunt deer, the Wolves are the Orc's competition in many cases, although sometimes the Wolves spook deer closer to your base only to get an arrow to the head(sometimes both the deer and the wolves :D)!
Overall, once you get to know the wolves, they might be the most hated unpredictable annoying creep around. They don't ruin Armies, they ruin economies. Killing them with calvary (pretty much only thing that can catch up to a fleeing pack) is so rewarding. :) One thing is for sure, you will be entertained by them when your trying to rebuild your stronghold after battle, all along with your army standing guard watching the Wolves feast on the rotting flesh of your enemies!

Alzeranox
10-05-2010, 06:57 PM
If you've ever played dwarf fortress, then you know what unicorns are capable of.

blackfang
10-09-2010, 01:05 PM
I want to build my own base from the bottom and let the inhabitants starve from wolf attacks!!!!!

oblitteras
11-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Ok i just gotta say was anyone else scared by Josephs first post. I hope i never encounter Joseph in game and then go to sleep i might get set on fire... or should i be afraid of the wolves more?

Henry Martin
11-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Ok i just gotta say was anyone else scared by Josephs first post. I hope i never encounter Joseph in game and then go to sleep i might get set on fire... or should i be afraid of the wolves more?

Nope I will crush him!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

Toth
11-28-2010, 05:23 AM
I wonder if this means hunters (food gatherers) will have to go outside the city to gather food. And if so, would it be possible to station troops outside a city to stop it from hunting.

jleem21
11-28-2010, 12:48 PM
It'll be pretty crazy if players who play as the Elves can't necessarily control the deers, but can still see whatever is in the deer's line of sight. Good for anticipating an attack.

BraveHeart
11-29-2010, 07:22 PM
I really support this Idea elves are in harmony with nature and so the animals and elves can comunicate with each other ( probally ) I mean its fun that theirs a groop of deer in side your city but it's even better if they keep an eye on the map for you.

Greetz Brave

doom132
11-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Its really a human mage thats disguised as a deer

Joseph Visscher
11-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Lol, what why? The damage is already done, its created, they are out of my hand now, they attack me too!
Ahem, your basement is now on fire and there is a wolf pack waiting outside at every door of your house.

Nope I will crush him!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh yea krabs, when online opens we'll see who crushes who, I'll eat you alive with my horde of Orcs.

It'll be pretty crazy if players who play as the Elves can't necessarily control the deers, but can still see whatever is in the deer's line of sight. Good for anticipating an attack.

Thats a good idea, you don't mind if I steal it do you?

Its really a human mage thats disguised as a deer

hmmm, sort of unoriginal on my part^^ but, you don't mind if I steal that idea do you?

:D

GPS51
11-29-2010, 08:59 PM
ROFL. TEH JO is loose among the sheep.

Henry Martin
11-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Oh yea krabs, when online opens we'll see who crushes who, I'll eat you alive with my horde of Orcs.
:D

HA! I wait for the day! My skilled elven archers will cut down your hordes before they reach my lines. Then I will send my Grand Masters to hunt down the cowards that broke rank!

Sirstroud
12-02-2010, 11:10 PM
cause they're hungry, of course :D

DeusVult
12-04-2010, 11:07 PM
It was a battle deer actually.. um... an alpha version