PDA

View Full Version : Currently Reading

Alex Walz
07-28-2010, 12:34 PM
What are you guys currently reading? Anything you'd recommend?

I just finished Dan Brown's Lost Symbol. It wasn't his best work, but I've been meaning to read it for months. Now I'm reading In the Woods by Tana French. Just started, but it's supposed to be a highly recommended psychological thriller by a great new author, so I'm excited. :)

Henry Martin
07-28-2010, 01:29 PM
I don't read many non-technology/help books (level design, modeling, computers, etc). But I did just get done reading Metro 2033. I had got the game and saw that there was a book, so I got it. Its pretty go, but for me, I think a blend of the game and book would have been better. Another interesting book that just popped in my head that I had read in high school was The Sorrow of War. Link to the book on amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1573225436/intelligentsiane).

blackfang
07-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Warhammer books. (its for the simple minds, no need to think about whats happening its only war afterall:D ) I am also reading something called malazan book of the fallen:) You should read it just get two things in before you do, its very complicated and hard to read so take a break one in a while to recharge your eyes. Also once you find Tehol Beddict in the book keep him as your favorite, THERE IS NOONE ELSE:D

Kire
07-29-2010, 04:02 AM
I am currently reading Lord of the Rings: Two Towers, but i guess you all already read that =P. If not than i recommend that =) and Hobbit.

Gruber12
07-29-2010, 05:10 AM
ive been reading the horus heresy books for warhammer 40k

blackfang
07-29-2010, 06:08 AM
I try to find them around but its hard:(

Gruber12
07-29-2010, 06:48 AM
I found a download that has alot of warhammer stories

LoveToKill
07-29-2010, 07:20 AM
well i recently finished readin the House of night series and have read a few of the vampire acadamy books.

LiTos456
07-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Metro 2033 <3
Krabs, thumbs up for you mate

Aothane
07-30-2010, 12:36 AM
I've also started reading the Horus Heresy, the composition and themes of the first two books are quite incredible for science fiction fantasy: Humanity has ascended to a new level of order and rationality, one wholly insistent on the dogma of 'rational secularism', it works in principle but the universe and it's parallels are too complex (Chaotic, you might say) for such human order.

after which, well written as the other six or so books are -- having lost count of which book I am now up to -- they really do torment the reader by diverging to the sides of the main story so as to fill in the background of the various Space Marine chapters, their Primarchs and the sentient influences of the Warp.

Also started reading the Eddas, which I have been meaning to for the longest time, still on the Voluspa (sp sp) but it is a great insight into Nordic myths and of the culture and history they relfect.

Gruber12
07-30-2010, 02:03 AM
The main thing that pulled me into warhammer 40k is the lore, theres just so MUCHHHH :D

SvN
07-30-2010, 09:40 AM
mickey mouse..:P

nickson104
07-31-2010, 05:20 AM
Just finished re-reading the Age of Five trilogy. Im in desperate need of new books :p I do not own a book that I havent read at least twice

Darathor
07-31-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm currently rereading The Fellowship of the Ring for school over the summer. It makes me glad that the school chose a good fantasy novel that you can read for once.

I've also just recently read The Highwayman by R.A. Salvatore, which is kind of weird to me, but quite enjoyable to a good fantasy reader.

Josh Warner
08-02-2010, 02:59 AM
I just re-read all of the Ender's Game books, by far one of my favorite series. I'll probably be re-reading the Foundation series from Issac Asimov soon as well.

blackfang
08-03-2010, 01:22 PM
damnit i cant find the foundation series anywhere where it doesnt cost too much just because of shipping. I want to read it all (but its so damned hard to find it in norway.)

Josh Warner
08-03-2010, 10:08 PM
The books are fairly rare even here.

Brian Shingles
08-04-2010, 08:35 AM
damnit i cant find the foundation series anywhere where it doesnt cost too much just because of shipping. I want to read it all (but its so damned hard to find it in norway.)

I've found The Book Depository (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk) to be a good source of books. The prices are reasonable and they offer free worldwide delivery.

Did a quick search and they do sell the Foundation series (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search?searchTerm=isaac+asimov+foundation+series&search=search)

blackfang
08-04-2010, 01:08 PM
thank you *gets down on his knees to praise brian*
Btw i just have to ask is this a coincidence?
Free delivery worldwide
(to Norway and
all these other countries)
Usually dispatched within 48 hours

Puppeteer
08-09-2010, 03:22 PM
I have a lot to read! I've chosen it carefully, but I don't have long to read them. Here's my list, in order:
'Crime and Punishment' by Fyodor Dostoevesky - existential narrative;
'One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich' by Alexander Solzhenitsyn - fiction during Soviet Russia;
'Specters of Marx' by Jacques Derrida - discourse on Communism from deconstructionist perspective;
'What is History?' by E. H. Carr - development and purpose of history;
'Wild Swans' by Jung Chang - tri-generational Chinese memoirs;
'The Rise and Fall of Communism' by Archie Brown - discourse on Communism.

Gruber12
08-10-2010, 02:52 AM
Iam gonna start on metro 2033 after finishing the game :D