PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Friday XXXII Navy Pt 1 - Elven Fleet

Michael Mullens
06-25-2010, 08:36 PM
FANTASY FRIDAY XXXII
Navy Part 1 - Elven Fleet

Hello again! To all our fans and future fans out there we have heard your requests for information on the naval aspects of Dawn of Fantasy. Some have even speculated it was cancelled :eek: but you kind sirs and ma'ams were mistaken, or why would we have this beautiful art work to show you!. So there you have it, today we will take a step into the Mythador waters and see what treasures we uncover. Lets start with some sea creatures! Many of you have seen these prior as our work does sometimes excite us and we show it!

Elven Navy
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff32/femalekrakenconcepttn.jpg (http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff32/femalekrakenconcept.jpg)

::Larger Kraken beast, can swim and attack enemy boats, as well as release toxic attacks on the units on the boats.::

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff32/MaleKrakenConcepttn.jpg (http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff32/MaleKrakenConcept.jpg)

::Large Kraken beast, can swim and attack enemy boats, as well as release toxic attacks on the units on the boats::

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff32/ancientkrakentn.jpg (http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff32/ancientkraken.jpg)

::The most powerful sea unit able to take down several ships. Deadly but slow.::

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff32/SeaTurtle01tn.jpg (http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff32/SeaTurtle01.jpg)

::Wooden ship mounted on an enormously giant sea turtle. Can carry great amount of units – biggest capacity in-game, but slow and expensive.::

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff32/carrack06tn.jpg (http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff32/carrack06.jpg)

::Greater Carrack - Greater Carrack - large sail-powered battle ship. Can be upgraded with numerous siege weapons, and holds good number of units. Medium – fast ship. Holds more units than Lesser Carrack ship.::

What happens when an orc vessel travels into elven waters?
http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff32/KrakenAttacktn.jpg (http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff32/KrakenAttack.jpg)
If you guessed a Kraken eats it, then you sir saw the picture above... cheater.

GPS51
06-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Wow I'm glad to see a fantasy game with "real" fantasy boat units. I never would have thought of them and WHO THOUGHT UP THE TURTLE BOAT? +1 to that character whoever it is. Looking good.

Henry Martin
06-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Very interesting. I like how the Elves nature feel was taken to the point of using actual creature for vessels. I really like the Sea Turtle 'ship'.

Khan kreiger
06-25-2010, 09:24 PM
oh man... Me orc scared turtle too big for ogres crush:(

DarkMaster
06-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Wow! I may have to change to elves just so I can use the giant sea turtle! I mean, krakens were already awesome, but this... this is just incredible!

I really wouldn't have ever thought that the elven navy would turn out to include sea creatures. I was thinking that they'd be only made of enchanted plants, like the ballista.

All in all, I'd still buy this game if for some random reason you guys decided to cut two of the races and all land combat! Now I really need to hurry up and get me a better PC.:p

EDIT: Just realised this is now FF #32! May I simply congratulate you on being so involved with your community?

Michael Mullens
06-25-2010, 11:35 PM
EDIT: Just realised this is now FF #32! May I simply congratulate you on being so involved with your community?

Without your support theres little reason for us to be here. So thank your peers who wait for this game. We love being here and talking directly to you.

Aametherar
06-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Awesome, I can't wait to see what orcs have...left x.x dang krakens!

szebus
06-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Finally some sea battle. Hurray.

Yami-Yagari
06-26-2010, 03:57 AM
Really nice. You people outdid yourself again.

One question though. Those towers on the turtle transport, whats the purpose of those? Can you man them or put ballista's on them or what?:confused:

Puppeteer
06-26-2010, 04:48 AM
Choice of hometown region: Southmont, Rollingplain, Wold or Sea Turtle.
SEA TURTLE

leonardo88
06-26-2010, 05:07 AM
the sea turtle needs the best range or will be useless vs faster ships

Yami-Yagari
06-26-2010, 05:11 AM
the sea turtle needs the best range or will be useless vs faster ships

Well, not necessarily since the turtle is more of a transport than actual combat vessel, but it does have combat capabilities.

SEA TURTLE

Now that you mention it, it would be totally awesome to siege Sillicia Mas with dozens of those turtles. SO SWEET! :D

DarkMaster
06-26-2010, 06:10 AM
We love being here and talking directly to you.
Now there's a contradiction in terms:p

But seriously, a game developer who listens to his/her fans is like Santa, going through all those "I want ___ for Christmas" lists.:) Though, gathering as many followers as Santa would be a feat in itself:p

Dang, the more I look at that turtle, the more I feel my ears becoming pointy:eek: . Must... not... change...:mad:

welshie
06-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Part 1 means theres more to come about just elvern navy right? :) just to clairfy

Michael Mullens
06-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Part 1 means theres more to come about just elvern navy right? :) just to clairfy

yes and the other races.

Now there's a contradiction in terms:p

Inter-personal or not, this reply is directly to you.

Khan kreiger
06-26-2010, 07:34 AM
all i have to say is that i hope the orcs have even better,nastier and more powerful ships since you know were weaker as you human and elves say

Yami-Yagari
06-26-2010, 07:45 AM
all i have to say is that i hope the orcs have even better,nastier and more powerful ships since you know were weaker as you human and elves say

Really don't care if our ships aren't as good as elves and humans.
Let them fight over the dominion of the sea, while we rule the land with an iron fist.:p

Khan kreiger
06-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Really don't care if our ships aren't as good as elves and humans.
Let them fight over the dominion of the sea, while we rule the land with an iron fist.:p

very very tru because i really dont plan on going over seas....we orcs dont do sissy things such as sailing:p we pillage village by village travelling wit nothing but out huge blades

Darathor
06-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Looks great! I really like the nature feel that you've given the elves with all the awesome creatures for ships and trees for siege weapons! It really makes them look unique compared to pretty much anything else out there.

Nice showcase!:D Really look forward to those ships/sea turtles!:D

Noxeros
06-26-2010, 03:28 PM
This is awesome! The naval part of this game is what makes me stay on the forum (tho I'm quiet) and watch for new things! :D
I had thoughts of playing as men, but they will probably only have normal wooden boats... I love that turtle! :eek:

ps. I want to see the humans boats so I can decide (before the third beta wave ;) )...

Kire
06-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Hope naval combat will be as awesome as this pictures show and also as important as land battles =).

zach12wqasxz
06-26-2010, 10:05 PM
ya that sea turtle is like a fortress of its own

leonardo88
06-27-2010, 01:30 AM
SEA TURTLE

This is rly interesting also because of the recruitment, have you ever seen a giant turtle waiting in line for recruitment?:D As a moving city would be more reasonable

Michael Mullens
06-27-2010, 03:06 PM
The sea turtle, while cool, is just Dinner and Desert in a neat package for my Orcs :p

Khan kreiger
06-27-2010, 04:43 PM
The sea turtle, while cool, is just Dinner and Desert in a neat package for my Orcs :p

haha yeaa...its like a big bowl for a feast of our orc colony:)

Aametherar
06-27-2010, 04:55 PM
haha yeaa...its like a big bowl for a feast of our orc colony:)

We can flip it upside down to gather the winter snow and spring rains for the summer as well. Imagine the armor on a sea turtle building. This is how we orcs do it, we live off the land and it's inhabitants!

TheHoboGod
06-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Good lord those are massive creatures. There must be something that can counter those beasts in the orc and human arsenal.

Khan kreiger
06-27-2010, 07:31 PM
We can flip it upside down to gather the winter snow and spring rains for the summer as well. Imagine the armor on a sea turtle building. This is how we orcs do it, we live off the land and it's inhabitants!

Yes, we make good use of whats around to survive and conquer:)

sneaky_squirrel
06-27-2010, 09:30 PM
I am really hoping the orcs get their own sea beasts (They have wargs, but that does not satisfy my hunger for monster).

I'm hoping for a leviathan or a giant vessel tied to many orcs mounting giant horned sea lions or something like that. I am sure I won't be disappointed XD.

Also, here is to hoping for a worthy death animation for when a kraken takes down a wooden ship, cheers!

Khan kreiger
06-27-2010, 09:48 PM
I am really hoping the orcs get their own sea beasts (They have wargs, but that does not satisfy my hunger for monster).

I'm hoping for a leviathan or a giant vessel tied to many orcs mounting giant horned sea lions or something like that. I am sure I won't be disappointed XD.

Also, here is to hoping for a worthy death animation for when a kraken takes down a wooden ship, cheers!

i just hope they make something orc like....i dont really want some beast just because the elves already got that

DarkMaster
06-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Good lord those are massive creatures. There must be something that can counter those beasts in the orc and human arsenal.
Try lots and lots of arrows:p

Generation
06-28-2010, 01:59 AM
Booya elves rule :D. Totally didn't expect a sea turtle very nice :D

Yami-Yagari
06-28-2010, 03:45 AM

Well, leviathan sounds appealing, although from what i heard(and speculate) there will be hydras in DoF. Would make a very nice naval unit.

Just roll is upside down and let it die, simple as that.

And now that were on this topic, there's something bugging me about the turtle. Turtle are amphibious creatures, so it can survive on land. But is it possible to use it as a land unit as well?:confused:

DarkMaster
06-28-2010, 04:26 AM
That would be very awesome but amazingly overpowered, sadly.:(

Khan kreiger
06-28-2010, 07:40 AM
Well, leviathan sounds appealing, although from what i heard(and speculate) there will be hydras in DoF. Would make a very nice naval unit.

Just roll is upside down and let it die, simple as that.

And now that were on this topic, there's something bugging me about the turtle. Turtle are amphibious creatures, so it can survive on land. But is it possible to use it as a land unit as well?:confused:

I think that would be pretty hard for the turtle...because all that weight on its back when its on land would make the turtle EXTREMLY SLOW. Thats why its swiming because everything seems lighter. But if it was on land it would be soo vunrable to archers especialy catapults to hitting a slow moving target.

sneaky_squirrel
06-28-2010, 09:21 AM
It think it has too much load on its back to be able to even get on land.

Plus, it is a sea turtle, those only get on land to put eggs, so I doubt they would be able to get on land.

Khan kreiger
06-28-2010, 09:42 AM
It think it has too much load on its back to be able to even get on land.

Plus, it is a sea turtle, those only get on land to put eggs, so I doubt they would be able to get on land.

good point.

Jean=A=Luc
07-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Oooh, I missed this. Love the artwork? Are male/female krakens going to be separate units with different characteristics or just visual variations?

FishMG
07-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Ok, liking Elves even more. Very cool looking fleet. Nothing like riding a giant turtle into battle. Go Crush, Dude!!!

Negthareas
07-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Hey everyone! Sorry been quite a while - I was counseloring at some summer camps... anyway, these units look fantastic! I never expected living sea units, but it actually makes sense for the elves to have them [in contrast to humans, which, I assume, will have almost entirely wooden hulled ships]. Great job!

Peppovitch
08-28-2010, 04:08 AM
Looking at that Turtle Ship really made me think about medieval Japanese naval warfare. Specifically the battle of Dan-no-Ura between 1180-1185.

Floating castles filled to the brim with soldiers and samurai would crash together and have huge battles right on the water.

I am imaging a DoF naval battle where amidst the chaos of smaller skirmishes, these behemoth floating fortresses collide, culminating in an epic struggle of forces over control of the waters. Two of these castle ships creating an island of death and a battle so pitched that many would think a city is being sacked.

In game terms I feel that creating "castle ships" like the elven turtle ship would add an extremely fun and engaging feature for naval warfare. This would allow the epic DoF style siege warfare to extend into the water and give players the option to stretch their land armies' reach. As an end game mobile fortress for an army, the possibilities are endless!

What do you guys think?

Sorry I'm waiting for the beta email and my mind is in fantasy mode :D

BraveHeart
11-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Love this concept! The Ancient Kraken and Turtle are my faforites like how this plays out due Elfes being in harmony with nature letting them ride their backs or aid in battle.

Greetz Brave

Boomshaker
12-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Elven units looks awesome!

haski12
12-05-2010, 08:07 AM
The elven navy looks really nice but can other races win a battle on sea against them?

Nimlot
12-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Looking at that Turtle Ship really made me think about medieval Japanese naval warfare. Specifically the battle of Dan-no-Ura between 1180-1185.

Floating castles filled to the brim with soldiers and samurai would crash together and have huge battles right on the water.

I am imaging a DoF naval battle where amidst the chaos of smaller skirmishes, these behemoth floating fortresses collide, culminating in an epic struggle of forces over control of the waters. Two of these castle ships creating an island of death and a battle so pitched that many would think a city is being sacked.

In game terms I feel that creating "castle ships" like the elven turtle ship would add an extremely fun and engaging feature for naval warfare. This would allow the epic DoF style siege warfare to extend into the water and give players the option to stretch their land armies' reach. As an end game mobile fortress for an army, the possibilities are endless!

What do you guys think?

Sorry I'm waiting for the beta email and my mind is in fantasy mode :D

That samurai thing is interesting.. didnt know of it before!

I hope you can board enemy ships and such, but i have a feel the turtle is abit hard to board :D If the boarding party succeeds, would the turtle just swim under water and drown the attackers? hehe.. that would be kind of cool.

I really like the kraken too. In Red Alert 2 i used to love the giant squid.

The elves seem at a glance to be slightly overpowered at the sea, but ofcourse that is impossible to know for me, i just have a feel the kraken is a really evil thing to deal with :)

Are there any plans to add other animals to water combat? I think it would be cool if the orcs had some kind of leviathan unit

Also another thing that would be REALLY AWESOME is if there was sea monsters that would not belong to any player or faction but just roam around the seas and attack poor sailers :D

Giant sea-snake? Big sharks eating sailers that jump off sinking ships?

Just an idea. i think it could add alot to the naval part of the game that that would make it more interesting

kagalupe
12-07-2010, 06:07 AM
The wait all day was most definitely worth it ... can't wait to play elves race

Alezzy
12-08-2010, 06:42 PM
great stuff bud could you show us the ships like in ingame pictures ...so that we'll like see how big they will be and stuff ;D?

Arda
01-22-2011, 03:39 AM
While Krakens are cool, I wouldn't immediately associate them with elves...

The Turtle is just too epic. WANT!

Prootzel
01-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Wow, my mind has officially been blown. I didn't realize that the elves would be controlling supernatural beings like the kraken/sea turtle. Initially in looking at stuff on this game I figured that the factions were gonna be pretty standard fair and that it was the gameplay that was going to be new. Now seeing these screens, I am even more excited than I was before. Awesome job here and I think this really opens up a lot of doors for the future of this game.

atsumok
01-22-2011, 07:38 PM
MMM i think this is going to make the ship battle very interesting. hopefully everything is balanced equally tho

Verrenth
01-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Rolling elf wheeee turtle turtle turtle

guildwarsnrhk
01-24-2011, 09:08 AM
I haven't seen much about naval warfare, but if there are such fantasy units for each of the different races, the naval aspect will be much more interesting in my opinion.

Verrenth
01-24-2011, 09:46 PM
I haven't seen much about naval warfare, but if there are such fantasy units for each of the different races, the naval aspect will be much more interesting in my opinion.

I just want a fleet of large cephalopods draging the feeble wooden ships of man and orc to the bottom of the sea

FortyLuck
02-16-2011, 07:12 AM
really new idea about krakens!

Dawiichan
02-23-2011, 07:28 PM
I was wondering. For the Kraken, can it stay underwater and then attack? Since most elves have hide I was wondering if this would count. Maybe do something like stay underwater but after you go up(most likely for a surprise attack) but you wont be able to go back down until the enemy is out of range and have a cooldown for it. Also for the Turtle Ship, if the turtle ship dies(even though i bet it has nice defense and HP) will the units die as well or will they have a time limit until they drown? Maybe the Greater/Lesser Carrack ships can pick them up if they get there fast enough.

madslick
02-24-2011, 11:45 AM
id like to try the naval warfare when i get this game

vietboy
02-26-2011, 11:57 AM
the turtle is awesome ~

hugenhlfan30
02-26-2011, 04:15 PM
I love the different units for different races it looks like they nailed it perfectly in this game amongst other things.

nraheim6554mac
02-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Imagine a fleet of those Ancient Krakens attacking a fleet of Ship of the Lines. It would be an all out war.

lastchancer
02-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Those creatures look awesome. Are they able to go underwater like submarines do and attack from below? Its how i imagine them doing, attacking ships hulls and dragging them down

hugenhlfan
02-28-2011, 05:44 PM
the sea turtle is really creative, nicely done