Humans, then elves.

The only good orc is the dead orc. :D

wills370
09-25-2009, 11:02 AM
The only good orc is the dead orc. :D

sounds good to me :D

Espadachim
09-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Playing as orcs in most games requires less micro by sending mass swarms of weak and cheap units. This doesn't sound funny for me.

Edit: 1 elven soldier = 6 orcish ones. Really.

wills370
09-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Playing as orcs in most games requires less micro by sending mass swarms of weak and cheap units. This doesn't sound funny for me.

Should make for a diffrent style of gameplay as you have to use your troops as shock troops using the mass of units to form breaks in the enemy line. With both other races having a greater focus on order (assumed). You will have to use the weight of numbers to keep them busy before finding a way around them to surround etc. Whilst reinforcing your line long enough either to ensure your men wont break or untill the theavier trolls etc can come in and clean up :)

Espadachim
09-27-2009, 06:18 PM
But I think that a Mor or Archmage casting a firewall and burning lotsa of orcs is funnier. :D

Athos
09-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Most certainly elves. If dragons are made a faction, then they'll definitely be my next choice. :)

Espadachim
09-27-2009, 07:59 PM
From what I've saw at HG, I have to admit that elves are kickass.
They're good at turtling, but have a somewhat slow economy, as they cannot chop trees and hunt. (but they can breed the animals, giving a food trickle)

Joseph Visscher
09-27-2009, 10:01 PM

Orcs still have way more micromanagement when it comes to base building seen as you choose where every single building goes in your empire.

Josh Warner
09-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Orcs still have way more micromanagement when it comes to base building seen as you choose where every single building goes in your empire.

mm, I find controlling swarms of units to be more challenging to begin with. Part of what makes competitive RTSes fun is that you can't control everything, with larger armies comes more not less micro. Unless it's like SC where it's all activated ability/dancing/kiting. Personally I'm guessing this game rewards tactics more than things like the dragoon dancing from SC. Flanking, surrounding and good use of combined arms. Things like luring one unit type into it's hard counter. Regular footmen being chased by cavalry then being sandwiched by the footmen and pikes/spears, all sorts of fun things. A sort of combat more akin to total war than SC would be a nice change of pace.

wills370
09-28-2009, 04:10 AM
good use of combined arms. Things like luring one unit type into it's hard counter. Regular footmen being chased by cavalry then being sandwiched by the footmen and pikes/spears, all sorts of fun things. A sort of combat more akin to total war than SC would be a nice change of pace.

agree will be nice to have that more in depth combat system in place where you will have to pay attention to what your sending where and dont have the (All purpose) troop. Like in other games.

sneaky_squirrel
09-28-2009, 10:18 AM
I hope the counter system is as top nothc as in AoE3 (A few counters made all the diference, like 5 expensive anti cav took care of 10 cavalrymen slaughtering all of your cheap massed archers).

wills370
09-28-2009, 11:01 AM
I beleive there wil be significant focus in the role of counters and there strength comparible to each other. As seen in one of the trailors Aug9th on the main site. It shows cavalry comming out the front gate and passing through the horsemen (Realistic). Not hitting them and stopping like there is a invisable wall. From that i hope the figting system will be there too.

Henry Martin
09-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Yes, that would be great. As a lot of rts's don't focus enough on that kind of strategy. That is why I prefer the total war series.

wills370
09-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Yes, that would be great. As a lot of rts's don't focus enough on that kind of strategy. That is why I prefer the total war series.

If they can get the balance they had in rome total war or medievial total war (the first one second one-not so much). Then it should be better then anything before.

bogdan1281
10-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Definetely Human.

I am more of a defensive player.

Blackfall234
10-28-2009, 08:48 AM
There is an Dragon faction ? I always thought that just comes Orcs, Human and Elves ( after i saw the screenshots i thought just : 3 races ? Damn but they are all so cool ! ) .

I will play every Race but at first Orcs :D

Josh Warner
10-28-2009, 11:47 AM
There is an Dragon faction ? I always thought that just comes Orcs, Human and Elves ( after i saw the screenshots i thought just : 3 races ? Damn but they are all so cool ! ) .

I will play every Race but at first Orcs :D

Originally it was one of the four planned races - it was cut for various reasons. If the game is successful enough, it is possible we go ahead and add the dragons - and even other races.

wills370
10-29-2009, 06:37 AM
Originally it was one of the four planned races - it was cut for various reasons. If the game is successful enough, it is possible we go ahead and add the dragons - and even other races.

would they be free additions or will they be part of a payed expansion?

Blackfall234
10-29-2009, 08:44 AM

cant wait for release if that is true :) :)

Josh Warner
10-29-2009, 10:19 AM
would they be free additions or will they be part of a payed expansion?

Not really sure, just an intern mind you :p They could just be purchasable with influence, too. (Which you CAN pay for if you want - or you can gather slowly by just playing the game. Again not sure if that's how they'll do it though, just a possibility.)

JDmino
10-29-2009, 03:07 PM

Really? I thought it was planned to have like 6-7 races but cut most of them before the game development began. You know, Dragons, Dwarves, Amphibians, Minotaurs, Undead, Elves, Orcs and Men. What do you know, 8 races:p.

Darathor
10-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Really? I thought it was planned to have like 6-7 races but cut most of them before the game development began. You know, Dragons, Dwarves, Amphibians, Minotaurs, Undead, Elves, Orcs and Men. What do you know, 8 races:p.

I'm pretty sure he is talking of the game much more recently, back when dragons were still planned on being included, like back in early 2009 was when they got cut.

Josh Warner
10-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Those extra ones were decided to be left out quite some time ago, dragons were the only race I'd considered that had been 'cut', as it was the only one that had made it past sketches and other very basic stuff, but isn't going to be in for release. The others were never much more than 'we'd like to, but not sure if we'll be able to add them or not.' from what I understand.

treelin
11-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Every Fantasy game ive ever played, ive always been part of the elves..Sooo, im most likely going with elves, which elves are best at defense? or is it just an attribute thing before the character "City" creation?

Darathor
11-12-2009, 07:48 AM
I believe that each race has different levels of defensive power. However, you can make your defenses better through that city creation page thing.