PDA

View Full Version : Natural Disasters

Miclee
06-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Haven't seen this suggested anywhere, so here it is.

Randomly-occurring natural disasters, both on the campaign map and on the battlefield. These include volcanoes, earthquakes, tornadoes, and anything else you could come up with.

Puppeteer
06-18-2010, 07:22 AM
I don't particularly see the point in these. Sure, a campaign event might be a cinematic cyclone which throws boats off course, but I certainly wouldn't want my fortress/settlements suddenly engulfed by a natural disaster.

Khan kreiger
06-18-2010, 07:58 AM
I don't particularly see the point in these. Sure, a campaign event might be a cinematic cyclone which throws boats off course, but I certainly wouldn't want my fortress/settlements suddenly engulfed by a natural disaster.

yea i agree....we already have and economy and other users to worry about

LoveToKill
06-18-2010, 08:36 AM
i think tornados would be cool but annoying in the long run

Khan kreiger
06-18-2010, 08:38 AM

yeaa exacly.. like what if you finally got a huge army and your base is running well and then suddenly ooh no VOLCANO out of no where everythings gone you have to start all over. To me thats no fun at all

Yami-Yagari
06-18-2010, 08:56 AM
yeaa exacly.. like what if you finally got a huge army and your base is running well and then suddenly ooh no VOLCANO out of no where everythings gone you have to start all over. To me thats no fun at all

Well the possibility of volcanoes sprouting out of no where doesn't seem likely. Plus most of them aren't active and hardly erupt when they are.

Tornadoes would be nice, but would really be pain in ass when you run into one of them.

But there are other natural disasters( or phenomenon) which could work out fine. Like say sandstorms, blizzards, floods, monsoon rains etc.

Khan kreiger
06-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Well the possibility of volcanoes sprouting out of no where doesn't seem likely. Plus most of them aren't active and hardly erupt when they are.

Tornadoes would be nice, but would really be pain in ass when you run into one of them.

But there are other natural disasters( or phenomenon) which could work out fine. Like say sandstorms, blizzards, floods, monsoon rains etc.

yaa i like those better....and like a thunderstorm for when your travelling on sea and it makes you journy longer

LoveToKill
06-18-2010, 09:06 AM
yaa i like those better....and like a thunderstorm for when your travelling on sea and it makes you journy longer

Storms do that to troops allready lol :x

Khan kreiger
06-18-2010, 09:39 AM
yeaa i kno i was just saying i like that:)

Michael Mullens
06-18-2010, 10:13 AM
;) That is all.

Aametherar
06-18-2010, 01:35 PM
I think they'd be good if they were a short term disaster but gave a long term benefit, like increased stone mine production from volcanoes. Increased crop yields from hurricanes. (after the initial damage of course).

Miclee
06-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah, there are tons of different ways that they could be done, sometimes beneficial.

Puppeteer
06-18-2010, 01:52 PM
I think they'd be good if they were a short term disaster but gave a long term benefit, like increased stone mine production from volcanoes. Increased crop yields from hurricanes. (after the initial damage of course).

Is this really worth the time and effort? I'm quite happy with the seasons and their advantages & disadvantages, they're dynamic enough for me.
Although we haven't heard much about magic, so earthquakes and hurricanes (albeit to a lesser extent) may be endemic to those spell schools. That might be overpowered, but you'd win or lose in style!

Miclee
06-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Having mages use them defensively would be cool. They could just pull it out of nowhere and change the whole course of battle in a few seconds.

Khan kreiger
06-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Having mages use them defensively would be cool. They could just pull it out of nowhere and change the whole course of battle in a few seconds.

That just reminds me of fracture.....where you could change the landscape when your in battle to help you out

Miclee
06-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Fracture had a really good concept and was well made. LucasArts just didn't push the game enough and not many people bought it. But, yeah, the land deformation in it was a lot of fun.

Khan kreiger
06-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Fracture had a really good concept and was well made. LucasArts just didn't push the game enough and not many people bought it. But, yeah, the land deformation in it was a lot of fun.

well i cant really say much on that because i never played it....if i ever did play though i would of jus raised the ground to a high point and just kill off everyone:D

Miclee
06-18-2010, 02:17 PM
There was a limit to how high you could make it, and if you made it high enough and fell off, then you would be injured. An upside and downside to everything.

Kire
06-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Maybe there would be powerful mage/demon... who would cast random disasters (also zombie revival =P) at some stages so you will have to kill it via epic quest or bribe him via goods/sacrifices for him to stop?=)
Anyway i wouldnt mind if they would make rain to give + food gathering and too much rain to - food gathering or some flooding and that sort small stuff with combination of already existing seasons. Or some storm lightning if too long no rain to cause fire (but rarely). Maybe some stronger wind to make your ship slower or - on archer accuracy.
But at the end i would just like visual effect of some of those things without real effect on gameplay (other than maybe visual) tho it is possible they would become anoying =P.
It would be epic visual of storm on sea with huge waves, lightnings, rain ..... =).

What if there was region to choose which give you massive bonuses with farming but has a chance to erupt and damaging your town in on its way so you have to repair it more often than usual person would?. Or regions by sea which gives you also another x massive bonus but has a chance to be flooded or damaged by stronger winds? Or region in desert/plain that also gives x massive bonus but has a chance to be damaged by to little water->to little food or strong winds/sandstorm? So there were 3 risky regions one per faction.

Khan kreiger
06-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Maybe there would be powerful mage/demon... who would cast random disasters (also zombie revival =P) at some stages so you will have to kill it via epic quest or bribe him via goods/sacrifices for him to stop?=)
Anyway i wouldnt mind if they would make rain to give + food gathering and too much rain to - food gathering or some flooding and that sort small stuff with combination of already existing seasons. Or some storm lightning if too long no rain to cause fire (but rarely). Maybe some stronger wind to make your ship slower or - on archer accuracy.
But at the end i would just like visual effect of some of those things without real effect on gameplay (other than maybe visual) tho it is possible they would become anoying =P.
It would be epic visual of storm on sea with huge waves, lightnings, rain ..... =).

the huge waves would be sooo sick when your travlling with your ships and then krakens come out and start attacking:D . It would also be cool if there was some kind of bandits or something and they have lots of gold on them depending on how many there is.

Generation
06-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Krakens for the elves ftw!

Joseph Visscher
06-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Wildfires can be quite a large natural disaster if you dont have anything to put it out and it doesn't rain hard enough to put it out. :p Except in most cases the fire is started by either your enemy or you; and once its unleashed it can harm anyone and everyone...

sordurar
12-03-2010, 07:04 AM
Wildfires can be quite a large natural disaster if you dont have anything to put it out and it doesn't rain hard enough to put it out. :p Except in most cases the fire is started by either your enemy or you; and once its unleashed it can harm anyone and everyone...

if nothing else works, PURGE it with fire :D

Daft
12-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Huge thunderstorms that occur on the field of battle would be really awesome, but I think that any sort of adverse effects should be kept to a minimum, like with a global range debuff or something like that.

Farseer_Arien
12-05-2010, 12:22 PM
it would be interesting to see these but I'm just concerned about these will be like some games, where you start in one area and you are always in some disaster every minute playing the game.

chickenlota
12-05-2010, 04:18 PM
ya i think i agree but i mean i can see how it would be kind of cool like real time events but like it would be anoying

Nimlot
12-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Will rain, snow and other types of weather affect the game mechanics, such as farming or movement?

And i suppose fire arrows would not be very effective if there is a rain, etc :)

whitewing91
12-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Another idea for the sea would be a huge whirlpool or just bad inclement weather

shawnchi
12-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Natural Disasters would be cool, but yeah, like everyone else said, if I just finished builing a gigantic army, spending lots of gold, I wouldn't want some tornado to come and annihilate my army and nothing I can do to stop it. That'd **** me off.

Radman
12-05-2010, 10:52 PM
It could be that the natural disasters dont destroy your army just make it that you cant move it while the disaster is occuring like a sandstorm you would bunk down and not move while you wait it out.

Fangg
12-06-2010, 04:50 AM
I like this Natural disaster possibility. It could turn the game up side down. A huge army ready to crush a small weak opponent. Then nature has her revenge. All the Natural resources they used to build the army has angered mother nature. Unless they have made sacrifices to her, so she would become an ally.

atsumok
01-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Maybe an earthquake every couple of days or something online would be cool and it only destroys/damages your smaller/constructing building maybe be cool

DerKater
01-23-2011, 05:19 AM
I think it might be funny. But the following questions arise: how strong must be the destruction/damage from these disasters? If weak, there is not much point in them - this is the waste of computer resources. If strong - it may not appeal to many players.

Verrenth
01-23-2011, 06:57 AM
I would like to see disasters if they were there as a hindrance rather then possibly game breaking like an earthquake reduces your mining output by 50% do to cave ins and tornadoes mess with food production and then possibly the ability to tech into better structure for mines and farms yadda yadda to lessen the blow from one of these disasters

Warchamp84
01-23-2011, 07:05 PM
The natural disasters do play a great part in realty and it would be great if they were incorporated into the game, but only up to some extent. Like some people said above that such disaster don't just happened. I think that disaster should happen according to you locations on the campaign map, Like nations near the sea could face Tusnamies and other water cylones. Nations in dessert areas could face heat waves and shortage of water. Snow areas could face extreme water effects on nations abilities to move forward. Other areas could face floods etc.

These disaster are great for the the environmental effects, weather effects can also play a part in the game that being said it could contribute to the dynamic effects the game is suppose to have. but these should only effect the campaign map not the battle map. Effects such as slower build times, or lack of food(starvation), or lack of manpower due to a recent war. These would be good.

VanguardX
01-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Natural disasters would add some color to the game in my opinion. So long as the effects of it were relatively mild, and would affect all players equally.

Floods, locust plagues, volcano eruptions, cyclones, arctic snow storms, heat waves, avalanches, and such, that would produce minor setbacks for kingdom builders. But nothing too drastic.

GoGoCactusMan!
01-24-2011, 12:41 AM
I could certainly see natural disasters and the seasons causing travel and story possibilities!

For instance, a volcano erupts from something some Dwarven Miners found, and it goes on for days and days. Some supply lines are disrupted, and travelers will have to find a way around it. Soon, mobs of some sort of evil dragon begin to appear near the volcano, as it begins to die down. Quests begin popping up, and you get to fight your way to the Volcano, into the old Dwarven Mines, and finally, an epic battle at the summit where you face the evil king volcano dragon that was hidden away inside, waiting for his one day release.

I might actually expand on this and stick it into the create a battle section!

Lukre
01-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks For the imformation

Lukre
01-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks For the imformation

Shadowhand
01-25-2011, 04:10 PM
problem with this is u could get hit randomly wit these and if unlucky often.... nice idea but would need to be put in say, a winning faction inflict these on another faction, or if a faction is greatly overpowering another used to balance the playing field

Loose Morals
01-29-2011, 11:10 PM
i think this idea may work if you were to tone it down a bit. some of you are thinking too grand. volcanoes suddenly wiping armied and such. limit it to small things like flooding and storms would add subtle changes to the game rather than great sweeping changes. for example storm wether can slow or speed a ship depending on which way its traveling. a flood can destroy crops in farming but will also turn that easly forded stream into a impassable river for a short time.
small changes that dont hang about for long could be nice.

SACancel
01-30-2011, 08:42 PM
This idea sounds pretty amazing with the whole mass wipe outs but I like loose moral's idea of temporary after effects. I would really enjoy if they could work this into the game somehow though.

eternal2u
01-31-2011, 12:34 AM
i kind of disagree with the naysayers oh i dont want it destroying my stuff on this bit...i mean randomness in a mmo and having to adjust to changing enviroment would defiently keep you on your toes.

Harfle
01-31-2011, 01:13 AM
I would have to say a natural disaster destroying everything you worked on building in a MMO would be very um how do you say saddening.

_Caranthir
01-31-2011, 06:48 AM
I don't like the word "randomly" in a game like this one :confused:

Rounlin
01-31-2011, 08:29 AM
I personally wouldnt want to see my kingdom be destroyed by a tornado. It is bad enough a player can.

NobleIre
01-31-2011, 10:51 AM
I agree, I think natural disasters could be alright if their effects were not so devastating. I think they could even add greatly to the game in a subdued manner.

For instance: a storm slows the progress of troops, reducing their movement speed. A particularly devastating storm kills some of your soldiers (but not a lot of them). An earthquake damages your wall, required you to pay for its repair, etc.

There could even be rare instances of greater disasters which do cause some serious harm - however - any of these ought to be exceedingly rare and cause damage over a large area. (hitting everyone in a region).

boondock5aint
02-01-2011, 04:03 PM
aye i like the sound of milder natural disasters that affect simple things with journey times or income or build time. Slotting along side the dynamic world thread as well, they make the game more interesting as long as they are not all punishing.

Corpsebloom
02-02-2011, 03:29 AM
Natural disasters are a game-changing feature that almost all developers sadly overlook. I highly support this proposal.

hocus
02-03-2011, 11:52 AM
I like the idea of season based disasters like in winter you would get blizzards and in summer sand storms wild fires ect Would defo add a further degree of forward planning and interface.

nauro
02-03-2011, 12:03 PM
If natural disasters are added I agree they shouldn't be game changing occurences. Maybe just like some of the other people suggested just slow down like troops or production of buildings/units.

OniKenji
02-03-2011, 08:22 PM
what about a blizzard like it would get so cool that it would damage units

aaa6660
02-05-2011, 11:12 AM
I agree that it should do some minor damage and or slow down production but at the same time be more realistic like if a volcano erupts it shouldnt kill a bunch of troops, but instead hinder their paths and make them seek another route

Kultyz
02-07-2011, 04:43 PM
i also agree that natural disasters should not be decisive or that much violent to really make someone cry out loud.

I believe that it also shouldnt be just based on the bad side, on disasters, there can also happen good things as an example there can be something such has "a good year of crops" as an example only and resources would be gathered more quickly for X time or we would gather an extra Y of this or that resource.

Random events that can bring fun even if they are bad or good is allways positive.

neapliGamer
02-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Will rain, snow and other types of weather affect the game mechanics, such as farming or movement?

And i suppose fire arrows would not be very effective if there is a rain, etc :)

Q: Does the weather and environment have any affect on game play?
A: Yes. The weather has a great impact on your economy and the global market. For example, in the winter, farms will become obsolete forcing human players to hunt or trade for food. At the same time, the price of food in the NPC markets will increase to meet the principles of supply-and-demand.

Ezekiel
02-08-2011, 02:24 PM
I guess it's a touchy subject, now seeing volcanoes + tornados etc would be cool and fun, but having it cause a large scale effect could be a tad bit annoying or cause for abuse, with people timing attacks based upon the events.

But we shall see how it all goes =)

Braveman
02-09-2011, 03:12 PM
I think if we had seasonal weather that affects general game mechanics like resource gathering and troop movement speed then thats good, but I would not recommend having natural disasters on the scale of simcity interfering with my warmongering!

Arnfiarnunn Neanias
02-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Natural disasters should be possible only in events, otherwise it could quickly become anoying .