PDA

View Full Version : A few questions on defenses

crex719
11-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi everybody....been awhile....just a few things in my mind :p

1) If a bunch of enemies infiltrate your town/city/fortress/etc., can your villagers at least put up a little fight? 100 villagers vs 5 orcs seems reasonable.

2) Can we repair walls ourselves or do they heal overtime?

3) Not really a defense question but lets say there are players A,B,C, and D.
Player A and B work together first to eliminate C and D. Can they exchange resources?

4) Any chance of pouring boiling oil on enemy troops as they run around inside my city?

Joseph Visscher
11-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Hi everybody....been awhile....just a few things in my mind :p

1) If a bunch of enemies infiltrate your town/city/fortress/etc., can your villagers at least put up a little fight? 100 villagers vs 5 orcs seems reasonable.

2) Can we repair walls ourselves or do they heal overtime?

3) Not really a defense question but lets say there are players A,B,C, and D.
Player A and B work together first to eliminate C and D. Can they exchange resources?

4) Any chance of pouring boiling oil on enemy troops as they run around inside my city?

I'll let Ryan Answer 2-4.

The workers can indeed fight, but they are indeed weaker vs anything, from past experiences in testing, I've seen 3 workers easily kill 1 goblin, and probably 2 for each goblin archer, then again all of these units are weak in fighting.

I would say one Elf Blademaster could probably take on 50-100 (up to 200? keep em coming stupid untrained workers!) workers at once fairly well, then most likely, die in a very heroic honorable death… Surrounded by farmers with pitchforks.

jap88
11-03-2007, 07:25 AM
I'd imagine the answer to three to be yes. That feautre is generally a basic one for most RTS games. As for the last one I suppose there is a chance though I can't say that i know. As for the walls it could be hard to say given the sheer size of the castles and fortresses.

I'm merely speculating...don't quote me :p

The Witch King of Angmar
11-03-2007, 08:42 AM
This is my opinion.

2. I'd say you need to repair walls.

3. There was a discussion earlier about exchanging resourrces so I'd say yes to this as well.

4. Yes they probably will have boiling oil. :)

Ryan Zelazny
11-03-2007, 11:24 AM
New questions woo!

1) Villagers can attack, just like all other units they will get better at attacking and defending when they gain levels. Not saying that you should count on your Level 10 army of peasants to carry out a battle for you, but they can definately help when your fortress is breached.

2) You can repair your walls, however they will "heal over time" because villagers will automatically be tasked to begin repairs on them when damage is noticed.

3) You can trade resources between players.

4) Humans can build boiling oil pots on their walls. Each race will have different options for wall defenses.

Puppeteer
11-03-2007, 12:39 PM
oooh, we'll people like engineers hold small pots of oil to pour on others aswell?

crex719
11-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Are resources going to be time consuming to aquire?

The Witch King of Angmar
11-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Are resources going to be time consuming to aquire?

It will depend when you get the things for them such as animals for food.

Ryan Zelazny
11-03-2007, 04:04 PM
No, you will only have the large cauldrons of oil that will be built onto walls.

On regular campaign and multiplayer skirmishes resource collection will be fairly quick. For MMO we want the gameplay to be more gradual, so it should be slower. This will however be more determined by playtesting.

crex719
11-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Can you choose to bring armies into skirmishes from previous skirmishes?

The Witch King of Angmar
11-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Can you choose to bring armies into skirmishes from previous skirmishes?

I think so.

crex719
11-04-2007, 05:11 PM
oh noes! more questions:
1) How watered down is the 360 version going to be?
2) I can play this on my XP Pc right?
3) If I light a dragon on fire and he falls on some troops will they die?

SPARROW94
11-04-2007, 06:36 PM
OH noooo! more answeres
1)well i remeber some one on revier saying that the 360 will not lag because of new 'tech"

2)umm have you seen how much games are aloud on xp ofcourse you nut crack...or are you asking will it be on the pc with an XP that looks like some one sticking there tounge out

3) Faith my friend...faith

crex719
11-04-2007, 09:11 PM
bah now I have to buy vista to play so i can play on my pc and 360

frankein_fish
11-05-2007, 04:21 AM
Atleast i will get a new DELL 9200 soon :D :p

SPARROW94
11-05-2007, 05:03 PM
wicked asweome dude im getting an dell XPS

crex719
11-05-2007, 06:17 PM
And they don't stop coming:
Any chance of a multi player vs comp mode?
Potential for 360 to download mods?
Any kind of War of the ring?

The Witch King of Angmar
11-05-2007, 06:21 PM
And they don't stop coming:
Any chance of a multi player vs comp mode?
Potential for 360 to download mods?
Any kind of War of the ring?

Yes, yes and I'm not sure.

Ryan Zelazny
11-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the senior members answering questions, so I'll just reiterate some of the answers.

The two multiplayer modes, Skirmish and MMO will be different. Skirmish will be a one time build and destroy battle with up to 8 players, your units will not carry on from Skirmish mode. MMO mode will offer a different style of play with PvP and PvE aspects, we will be releasing more info on the MMO aspect sooner to release.

The Xbox 360 version isn't going to be watered down at all. We are optimziing the Xbox 360 version to play just as good if not better than the PC version. You will be able to download any maps made from PC users, and will be able to download the Map Editor to create maps on your PC. (However the Map Editor requirements are identical to the requirements to run the PC game, so some people might not take advantage of this).

The game will be available for play on Windows XP. So far we are not optimizing for Direct X 10, so it wont be a Vista exclusive.

We are debating the possibility of a dragons and other objects causing death and damage. We think it is a good idea, however the amount of work to get that working in the game is considerable. So for the moment it's going to be put on the list of "add if we have time".

You can team up against CPU players, or just add them as other adversaries in Skirmish. MMO should feature some play against CPU opponents as well.

I answered the Xbox mod question earlier on, but yes you can download mods for your Xbox 360 game.

I personally haven't played BFME1 or 2, so I don't have an Idea what War of the Ring mode is.

The Witch King of Angmar
11-06-2007, 02:10 PM
War Of The Ring had what was called a Living World Map where you would start with an army say Humans, and would move to different territories throughout the map trying to conquer and defend the all the territories of Middle-Earth (or in this case Mythador) from another army of your choice. It's kind of a Risk style gameplay.

Ryan Zelazny
11-06-2007, 02:32 PM
We wont have that as a sort of "pick up" game. However you will have a similar style of play in our MMO mode.

The Witch King of Angmar
11-06-2007, 04:00 PM
We wont have that as a sort of "pick up" game. However you will have a similar style of play in our MMO mode.

Cool. I love that if it's done right. It makes for awesome gameplay.

SPARROW94
11-06-2007, 04:01 PM
i wonder does every faction can out catapults/trebuchets/ballistas on there wall

The Witch King of Angmar
11-06-2007, 04:02 PM
i wonder does every faction can out catapults/trebuchets/ballistas on there wall

I don't think because Orcs and Dragons don't get walls.

SPARROW94
11-06-2007, 04:02 PM
i saw in screens orce got an wood wall hehehe Xd

The Witch King of Angmar
11-06-2007, 08:35 PM
i saw in screens orce got an wood wall hehehe Xd

They really don't show anything on Dragons in the screens. :(

Puppeteer
11-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Orcs should have some kind of "wooden fence" encircling their castles, and Dragons should get some kind of wall too. Some old, wisened wall?

Generation
06-29-2009, 04:03 PM
In the game before the lobby aka before game starts do u have to make ur allies then or can u do it while playing like -ally red

Darathor
06-29-2009, 05:39 PM
If your talking about skirmish mode I believe you would be able to pick teams in the lobby and then(perhaps depending on option settings) will be able to unally or ally with people through a small menu in-game.

The Witch King of Angmar
06-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Yes, that is what was being discussed. I would love to see this in the game.