PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Krakens...

Konstantin Fomenko
06-16-2010, 09:38 PM
While we wait for the next FF, here`s a little something we wanted to share.

This summer our art department is working on various "cool and big" things to add to the game. Talking about saving the best for last. Krakens, Dragons, Hydras...oh my.

We`ll follow the progress and try to show you a cool new unit every other week.

Lets start with the look at Kraken - Elven Naval unit.

Kraken Family
There are three types of Krakens of various sizes, strengths and abilities. There is a lot I want to say about these units - but might be best for you guys to experience them first-hand in the beta (CB3 or later), or see them in the new summer trailer (more details on this soon). Concepts by our concept artist Nikola Odin.

http://www.reverieworld.com/screenshots/Random_summer/MaleKrakenConcept.jpg

http://www.reverieworld.com/screenshots/Random_summer/femalekrakenconcept.jpg

http://www.reverieworld.com/screenshots/Random_summer/ancientkraken.jpg

Henry Martin
06-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Very nice, love the concept art (great job Mr. Odin). Can't wait to here more about the kraken.

Edit: If I can get this answered. Why were the Elves chosen for this unit?

Darvin
06-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Love the concept art, though from a game perspective three distinct variants of the same unit seems overkill. But hey, we'll see how you guys handle it. So long as I don't see entire fleets of kraken knocking at my harbour door, I'm happy.

Darathor
06-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Those concepts for the kraken look awesome! And having a kraken for the naval units for the elves is just well, awesome! It's incredibly unique and cool and just wow! I didn't expect something like this at all! This is an extremely pleasant surprise, and I can't wait to see how it plays out in-game!

I love the little boat off to the side and in the last screenshot it has the "very bad day" thing pointing to it! It also really helps see how HUGE it really is.

Aametherar
06-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Those look so orcish i'm almost jealous of the elves...almost, I can't wait to see what kinda big nasty is coming from us!

Generation
06-17-2010, 12:38 AM
Elves most likely did because they are just that great!

blackfang
06-17-2010, 01:16 AM
elves are the only fitting for the krakens, Their soldiers are monsters on the inside while their monsters are on the outside:D

Kire
06-17-2010, 05:28 AM
Wow very nice =), tho didnt expect this coming. Just one question..... if this is elven naval unit how does then they board their units for transport?=) And last picture with little boat made my day =P.

Khan kreiger
06-17-2010, 06:44 AM
this looks pretty sick....and were goin to run into them on our transport ships....tht will be epic battles taking down krakens cant wait to see the FF for this....lmfao for the guy having a bad day atleast he survived against the first two:p

Khan kreiger
06-17-2010, 06:47 AM
ok ok now that i actually read it..:eek: an elven naval unit i dnt know what to say but lucky elves i cant wait to see what the orcs get, hope its awsome though:)

Yami-Yagari
06-17-2010, 07:12 AM
WOOOW very nice.:D
Naval combat starts to seem more epic compared to land combat now.:p

Brian Shingles
06-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Concepts by our concept artist Nikola Odin
Odic - Kon is famous for his misspellings :rolleyes:

Very nice, love the concept art (great job Mr. Odin). Can't wait to here more about the kraken.

Edit: If I can get this answered. Why were the Elves chosen for this unit?

Who else has magic powerful enough to tame such impressive beasts?

Wow very nice =), tho didnt expect this coming. Just one question..... if this is elven naval unit how does then they board their units for transport?=) And last picture with little boat made my day =P.

Elves will have a more conventional ship for transporting units. There's some concept art on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=245262&id=112418172120572) if you're interested.

GPS51
06-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Transports for elves =flying dragons with carriages underneath. Love the way the krakens look. Things like this will keep the gameplay rich and unpredictable.

Khan kreiger
06-17-2010, 10:26 AM
wow i love the orc ships on facebook....but can you tell me if the row boat is suppose to be transport or what?:confused:

Khan kreiger
06-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Transports for elves =flying dragons with carriages underneath. Love the way the krakens look. Things like this will keep the gameplay rich and unpredictable.

no there not look on facebook its just an ordinary ship well it looks like an elf ship but still

LiTos456
06-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Dude, that is so cool. Can you interbreed the krakens to create the ultimate kraken?

Khan kreiger
06-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Dude, that is so cool. Can you interbreed the krakens to create the ultimate kraken?

That would be pretty sick....if i were to be an elf:p

Yami-Yagari
06-17-2010, 10:37 AM
really like the orc bireme, has the crude orcish feel about it.
While we wait for the next FF, here`s a little something we wanted to share.

This summer our art department is working on various "cool and big" things to add to the game. Talking about saving the best for last. Krakens, Dragons, Hydras...oh my.

We`ll follow the progress and try to show you a cool new unit every other week.

I know there wil be dragons in DoF, but will there be any more flying units fro each race?

Khan kreiger
06-17-2010, 10:54 AM
cant wait to see the bireme in gameplay or as actual game graphics bope it looks amazing

nickson104
06-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Epic... nothing else to say really...

Josh Warner
06-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Love the concept art, though from a game perspective three distinct variants of the same unit seems overkill. But hey, we'll see how you guys handle it. So long as I don't see entire fleets of kraken knocking at my harbour door, I'm happy.

I don't work on anything art related so grain of salt, but they seem close enough that you can reuse the model/skins and just modify them, they're not so far apart that it's creating three totally new units I don't think. At least that's the way I see it.

Miclee
06-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Awesome concept art, sounds/looks pretty awesome.

wills370
06-18-2010, 02:56 AM
Looks great. The idea of mythical monsters is really refreshing. ONe thing that i would say is that it would be really nice if the krakens could be random events aswell as mission based etc.

DarkMaster
06-18-2010, 03:07 AM
Wow, now this I am very pleasantly surprised by. The size of the ancient kraken... Is that for real? If so, I would imagine that you'd only have at max one in your entire fleet.

These things could do some real damage in a harbour. Imagine one pulling down the sea wall so that troops can land. That would be so epic.:D

Also, I'm really liking the concept art for the elven transport. It's just wonderful that you're still expanding on the "look and feel" of each of the different races.

Fantastic work, keep it up!

Michael Mullens
06-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Hey! Who wants to go fishing with me!

Khan kreiger
06-18-2010, 09:45 AM

lmfao i do if the guy from pic isnt coming.. because hes bad luck:p

Aametherar
06-18-2010, 12:29 PM

My dragon mercs will fish krakens by dangling human meat from slain victims overhead.

Yami-Yagari
06-18-2010, 01:13 PM
My dragon mercs will fish krakens by dangling human meat from slain victims overhead.

Or you could boil the sea with your firespewing dragons. Then you'll get takoyaki(Fried Octopus).

Aametherar
06-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Or you could boil the sea with your firespewing dragons. Then you'll get takoyaki(Fried Octopus).
Doesn't frying require oil? Maybe if we had a ship dumping oil on them then the dragon lighting em up!

Michael Mullens
06-18-2010, 01:48 PM

Sushi! no wait it's cooked :eek:

Yami-Yagari
06-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Doesn't frying require oil? Maybe if we had a ship dumping oil on them then the dragon lighting em up!

Do you necessarily need oil to fry stuff? Thought water would do nicely.

Khan kreiger
06-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Do you necessarily need oil to fry stuff? Thought water would do nicely.

that would just be boiled octopus...so yea you need oil

Yami-Yagari
06-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Well, i guess boiled octopus would taste nice to.

Khan kreiger
06-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Well, i guess boiled octopus would taste nice to.

Iv never tried octopus personally so i dont know....but id still like to see a kraken get cooked from a dragon aha:D

wou129
06-19-2010, 06:19 AM
its nice (has no tast at all:) )

and fore the krakens " epic'' nothing more to say about it

The Witch King of Angmar
06-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Awesome! This is the fantasy end of the game that I love! I can't wait until I can unleash 3-4 of these things on an orc navy. :D

Khan kreiger
06-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Awesome! This is the fantasy end of the game that I love! I can't wait until I can unleash 3-4 of these things on an orc navy. :D

Ya and we orcs would send lots of biremes on your soo called Krakens

sneaky_squirrel
06-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Wow I can't believe I haven't check these forums and missed this....krakens!

FishMG
07-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Very cool concept art. Nice detail and all.

I must say, I would not want to run into one of those in a calm dark cove.

sordurar
12-03-2010, 06:58 AM
those might be the most awsome kraken's ever drawn.

Tenebrion
12-04-2010, 02:26 PM
I've always liked Kraken.

irascor
12-04-2010, 02:57 PM
The pictures are so awsome to see if only i could see one for real it would be Great Fun and Frightening at the same time

rtejada
12-04-2010, 03:01 PM
i figured kraken would be more an orc unit because of how monstrous it looks... a sea serpent or something like that would be more fitting. just an opinion hehe. kraken look sawesome btw.

hogtalare5
12-04-2010, 03:01 PM
That is a really awsome concept art, will they actually be ingame? Three different one?

Katana
12-04-2010, 03:27 PM
RELEASE THE KRACKEN :eek: