PDA

View Full Version : MilitaryGaming.net - A Community for U.S. Military Gamers

WilsonMG
06-11-2010, 12:37 AM
For you active duty, guard, reserve, prior service and retirees from the U.S. military out there you should stop by MilitaryGaming.net. We've been looking at this game and will more than likely have a group presence here upon release. If you'd like to find out more or become a member of our community, please check us out at www.militarygaming.net.

And if any developers or admins happen to give this post a look and want to give one of us military vets a sneak peek at the game so we can go back and talk it up to our 500+ member base, we wouldn't object ;).

Sincerely,

Lucas O. Wilson
Founder and CO
MilitaryGaming.net

Yami-Yagari
06-11-2010, 04:47 AM
Didnīt know soldiers would have the time to game tbh.:confused:

GPS51
06-11-2010, 10:01 AM
A dev want to get on and state if this is considered advertising or not?

LiTos456
06-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Locked.
No advertising allowed, thank you.

Josh Warner
06-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Litos - until someone higher up than me makes a decision on this sort of thing I'm going to unlock this, advertising is frowned upon but it's a gaming community, not a product.

Welcome to the forums, Wilson, sorry for any confusion.

Really we just need to get a separate forum for this sort of thing, it's good not bad that there are other communities interested in the game, and if our members want to play the game with them that's great too.

Puppeteer
06-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Aye, it's no different than DoF source, only in scope.
Should one emend the code of conduct?
Posting any sort of advertising will be removed and the poster may be banned as well.

LiTos456
06-13-2010, 12:19 PM

Yes, we talked with him on PMs and I sent him that as well. I told him he should contact the PR department if he wants to get an exclusive look at the game for his website.
That said, the original DoFSource thread was the one where I was asking for permission to make it. Later on it was the one announcing it, but it was fully DoF related.

Aametherar
06-13-2010, 12:45 PM
I think its fine to advertise a gaming community here, at the same time I question the OPs integrity boasting a 500+ member base, while they appear to have 530 registered users the active user pool as we all know is likely a fraction of that.

Short of that, I think it'd be awesome to have your community here. Sorry if I sound less than welcoming, I completely welcome you and anyone here. As for having time, they may not have a lot but active duty do play games and their community also seems to welcome retired members. That being said I wonder how many aren't actually military.

Ick, I sound like such an ass today, i'm really not meaning to come off that way though.

nickson104
06-13-2010, 02:21 PM

Ouch BURN!!!!! :) Nice one puppy :) :p Sorry Litos, but I do think it was a bit harsh to lock it straight away, as said its a community not a product... And it never harms to have a wider following :)

Aametherar
06-13-2010, 03:09 PM
I totally agree, the more gaming communities the better, they're the ones who spread the word, and that is the best advertising for gaming. CB1 is already scheduled but it might be nice to check it out and maybe give em a CB2 and few CB3 keys though. No harm for anyone involved.

WilsonMG
06-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the welcome, all!

To answer some questions about us...

It'd be naive to think we don't have any fakers in the MG ranks, but I think the number of them out there is very small and they play the part well enough to get it past the real guys...

We ask each member to fill out an application which we go over and check against factual data. Every once in a while we catch one trying to slip through. Anyone revealed to have faked their status is removed from our community. Integrity is an important quality in a member.

Every MG staff member has passed a more stringent process and is guaranteed to be U.S. military. We feel it's important for our members to feel comfortable in our community's leadership.

You asked about numbers, I don't mind sharing them. We're proud of how far we've come over the years. We do have over 530 registered users, over 390 of which have applied for full membership and been approved, and over 200 that check in regularly. Our numbers in specific games have varied from a few dozen to nearly 300.

The time we have for games varies as much with us as it does with civilians. Many of our members have been discharged or are retired, or are guard or reserve. Even the active duty folks have time off though. Some of our members' jobs even allow them to check in from Iraq or Afghanistan.

The majority of us, however, have gotten out and have integrated back into the world. We're your local policeman, your teacher, your student, your coach, your bus driver, your mail man, well, you get the point. We choose to game together because of a shared history. One that ties us closer than most other web communities can attest to.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Aametherar
06-13-2010, 04:51 PM
^^^That one was a pencil pusher! Nice response, like I said I hope you guys can get some more activity on the forums here and muster up some keys. I didn't see any mention of DOF on your page.

WilsonMG
06-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Actually, sir, I was a U.S. Marine Corps Sergeant in the infantry for 8 years, a heavy machinegunner (MOS 0331) by trade, and a section leader in a Weapons Co. to be more specific, and I served two combat tours in Iraq.

I take pride in every posting I make as I see it as a direct reflection of the community I founded and lead. I am also the owner of the corporation which oversees MilitaryGaming.net. :)

As a Marine, I developed extreme OCD in all things I do. ;)

Stereotypes only get you so far.

As for DoF, we have it currently under our AAR's (After-Action Reports) section under PC gaming. This is where we stick game titles we're garnering support for. I just so happen to be keenly interested in this title but I'd like to get my hands on it, or have one of my staff get their hands on it before we make the decision to push it. In order to view these forums you must be a registered board user. Registration is open to anyone, military or civilian, only our full membership and the ability to use our services is restricted to U.S. military.

nickson104
06-13-2010, 05:57 PM
We do have over 530 registered users, over 390 of which have applied for full membership and been approved, and over 200 that check in regularly. Our numbers in specific games have varied from a few dozen to nearly 300.

You organise games? thats cool :)

But as for the 'check in regularly', we know that is down to interpretation... We could see regularly as daily or weekly, whereas you could see it as monthly. What is your definition of regularly? :)

And yes, welcome :) Sorry I seem a bit rude, just trying to learn something :) Nothing ventured, nothing gained after all :)

LiTos456
06-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Ouch BURN!!!!! :) Nice one puppy :) :p Sorry Litos, but I do think it was a bit harsh to lock it straight away, as said its a community not a product... And it never harms to have a wider following :)

Fair enough.
Sorry Wilson for the mishap.

WilsonMG
06-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Membership tracking, as any web admin can attest to, is always sketchy at best. How does one measure it? I'll not get into that.

What we do have is a good regular base of members who keep the community rolling along and a dedicated staff there to assist new members and get them pointed in the right directions for what they're into.

When I say that we have at least 200 that check in regularly I was basing that off the 220+ accounts that have logged into our site in the past couple months. Some of our members are active on our Ventrilo server or in games, but never log into their accounts or post on our forums.

As comes with the territory in the gaming industry, people come and go from games, some more quickly than others. In one notorious MMO we recently ventured into (that I'll leave unnamed) we picked up nearly 300 new members in one month only to have that game's branch fall to around 25 active the next. Fortunately for MG, many of those members decided to stick around and play other games with us. A lot of our members also come and go as their own personal interest in a game is piqued. Someone that may not have checked in in 6 months or more may show up again as soon as we start into another game that they've been looking at. It's a fluid process that we've learned to work around and is part of why we're successful.

I can say, with some level of confidence, that as far as military gaming communities go (the few that there are) ours is at the top of the list as far as numbers and presence in games, especially so in the PC market, less so in the area of consoles, but we're working to improve that.

We're in the business of doing the dirty work for our members, sort of like a match-making service. We do our best to ensure that our members have served or are serving in the U.S. military and give them the tools to link up and game with other like-minded professionals. This often includes running guilds (or whatever flavor a game chooses to call it) for our members. We refer to these as our branches.

We're always looking to expand to new games, but to ensure that we don't jump into a game that will flop and therefore cause us to scramble to hold onto members we do our research a bit first.

Grunt -MG-
06-13-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm def. checking this game out

Pikkon-MG-
06-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Ya im going to keep an eye out also, didnt even know this game was out there till I saw Wilson post in our forums.

John -MG-
06-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Snarky Forum, Wilson.

I have not heard of this game except for Wilson beating us up on Vent about it. I will definately check it out, and pass the word.

Joseph Visscher
06-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Good to have you here -MG-, hope to see you in open beta. :)

WilsonMG
06-29-2010, 02:22 AM
Thanks! We hope to be there! If you guys ever need any opinions/content help from the military perspective we'd be glad to donate our services.

psihawkMG
07-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Outstanding. This looks like it has the chance to be a great game. Gonna try it out and see.

Thanks for the heads up on this one, Wilson!

WilsonMG
07-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Prepare to be invaded RWS! Don't say I didn't warn ya'll but you're probably going to start seeing a lot more MG tags around here. :D

Yami-Yagari
07-08-2010, 02:19 AM
So there will probably be a MG guild ingame.

WilsonMG
07-08-2010, 03:05 AM
More than likely, yes. But it's really too soon to tell. None of us have actually seen the game outside of screenshots and videos. We always test the waters with a new game before we recommend it to our members and set up an official branch. That keeps us from getting into games that flop. We don't like to cost our members more money as they follow us around if we can help it. Doing it this way also encourages members to join us in a game knowing that it'll keep their interest for a while and be a worthy investment.

FishMG
07-08-2010, 12:32 PM
As already stated looking forward to checking out this game. Looks good from what I have seen from site and all.

I am glad to see such and active community, that always makes a game better.

Pikkon-MG-
07-14-2010, 03:54 PM
As already stated looking forward to checking out this game. Looks good from what I have seen from site and all.

I am glad to see such and active community, that always makes a game better.

Yep nice to see that staff members make post.

Grunt -MG-
07-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah I am very interested in this game and it is nice to see staff participate in the forums

Miclee
07-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Nice to see a community getting together for something they like.

LiTos456
07-16-2010, 01:53 PM
So, are only U.S. Military people allowed on your site? What about other countries? :p

WilsonMG
07-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Anyone is allowed to register an account which allows you to communicate with our community members. Only U.S. military members are eligible for full membership which allows full access to our forums, services, gaming groups, etc.