PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Old Republic

Swift sword
06-02-2010, 04:13 PM
I was searching around the web for upcoming games, and found I've missed alot due to inactivity. The one I'm looking forward to the most (after DoF, though thankfully it also will release about a year after) is Star Wars: The Old Republic. Developed by BioWare (which really boosts my hopes for the game) it's an upcoming Star Wars MMORPG for the PC only. I don't think it'll end up a WoW clone because of it's extremely prolific developer, whom I haven't seen fail yet. Not trying to be disloyal to Reverie, but you have to admit, BioWare's good at developing RPGs.

I've seen some gameplay trailers, which look pretty good thus far and well animated, but we'll have to see. After all, troopers are apparently supposed to be able to take on sith warriors. Doesn't sound Star Wars like to me.

Anyways, I'd suggest you check it out and find some info on it. It could turn out well. It's not going to be as innovative as Guild Wars 2, perhaps, but it's focusing somewhat on story and has less of a chance to flop. Might as well see what you think ;)

Other games are Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem (another remake, and for the DS. Kind of a turn off for me) and Guild Wars 2. Pokemon Black and White are also looking decent so far, and I'm hopeful this "3D imagery" move by Nintendo (their new handheld) turns out well. We'll see, I guess.

Yami-Yagari
06-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Yeah, me too looked forward to SWTOR. Looks really nice(as expected of bioware).
And about that troopers able to take sith warriors, of coruse they can. Else all jedi and sith classes would be way to overpowered. besides troopers can take on force users easy, just nuke them while they'r still out of range to attack you :p

Swift sword
06-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Yeah, just saying that in the movies, they typically died by the dozens :p

Still, these are 'lite guys after all. That's a good excuse, and we have to have class mixup. I only learned about it Sunday myself, but I'm hyped already.

Mikey
06-02-2010, 10:52 PM
been fallowing this for a while now looks pretty good saw the first cg and was like wow that was awesome and Bioware has yet to let me down completely and being a star wars nerd helps as well

DarkMaster
06-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Yet another reason to get me a better PC:p . Along with LEGO Universe, another one I'm looking forward to:D (call me a baby if you want).

I don't think they should have put in any other classes than Jedi and Sith. Let NPCs handle troopers. The vast majority of people are going to be Jedi, anyways:( . Why offer options that will hardly ever be chosen?

Swift sword
06-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Huh, haven't heard of LEGO Universe. Will have to check that out. And I think the reason for the extra options in classes is because it's an MMO, after all. Only 2 options don't make an MMORPG.
Fire Emblem just got a very cool update. You can create your own unit-the first real innovation since the game was released in the U.S besides map travel, which didn't stick. That one new thing was all it took to get me anticipated :P
Super Mario Galaxy 2 did a lot better than I expected, reception wise. A 10 from both IGN and GameSpot, as well as plenty of other places. Very impressive, indeed. I might have to actually get that now, although I never got into the original.

Have plenty of time to look stuff up, since school ended today :D
Lego Universe looks good, I suppose, but I don't think I'd want to pay 10 dollars a month for it. It seems smaller scale, especially combat and graphics wise, but I haven't researched enough to pass judgement.

Josh Warner
06-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Old Republic from everything I've seen is closer to WoW than pre-CU SWG. But I'll reserve judgement until I've tried it, I hope it's the latter.

Yeah, just saying that in the movies, they typically died by the dozens :p

Still, these are 'lite guys after all. That's a good excuse, and we have to have class mixup. I only learned about it Sunday myself, but I'm hyped already.

You're comparing basic clone troopers and stormtroopers to jedi/sith. For lack of available references appropriate to the time period - I never read many books - the non-jedi classes. Think Mandalorian, not regular trooper. Even the grunts had their own elite soldiers among them, don't need the force to be considered a hero in the star wars universe. And of course the jedi/sith especially in the Old Republic era - they weren't all nearly as powerful as Luke/Darth are, it's far more difficult to become a jedi/sith in the movie period the people selected are the best possible candidates. Note there's all of *Two* Sith in the movies, the Emperor and his apprentice Darth Vader. There's what, hundreds? historically for old republic, probably way more. And only three jedi, and two of them die lol. Four if you count Leia. I'm just pretending 1-3 don't exist for the purpose of the "movie" period, mind you. See no evil hear no evil speak no evil etc.

Henry Martin
06-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Actually Darth malak and Darth revan where pretty powerful and I would compare them to the jedi at the time of the movies. But because the jedi during the old republic don't really have that much history its really hard to say how powerful they are. You'll probably disprove me as I'm not a star wars nerd, I'm a computer and video game nerd:D. I just like it.

The Witch King of Angmar
06-03-2010, 01:43 PM
This looks cool. I don't know if I'll get it, but I do enjoy monitoring it's progress.

Swift sword
06-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Old Republic from everything I've seen is closer to WoW than pre-CU SWG. But I'll reserve judgement until I've tried it, I hope it's the latter.

You're comparing basic clone troopers and stormtroopers to jedi/sith. For lack of available references appropriate to the time period - I never read many books - the non-jedi classes. Think Mandalorian, not regular trooper. Even the grunts had their own elite soldiers among them, don't need the force to be considered a hero in the star wars universe. And of course the jedi/sith especially in the Old Republic era - they weren't all nearly as powerful as Luke/Darth are, it's far more difficult to become a jedi/sith in the movie period the people selected are the best possible candidates. Note there's all of *Two* Sith in the movies, the Emperor and his apprentice Darth Vader. There's what, hundreds? historically for old republic, probably way more. And only three jedi, and two of them die lol. Four if you count Leia. I'm just pretending 1-3 don't exist for the purpose of the "movie" period, mind you. See no evil hear no evil speak no evil etc.

Ah, forgive my ignorance. I've only ever seen the movies, and enjoyed 1-2-3 better than the "first" movies that were made. Yes, I know I'm strange. But ah well.
In any case, you're saying that, say, the troopers should be related to figures like Commander Cody, I suppose? That makes sense, looking at it that way, as he seemed pretty beastly from what I saw.

Also, the original movies did indeed have very few Jedi, which was anti-climatic compared to KOTOR (which I just played for the first time today). I also don't really know what the average Jedi was, power wise, as it really only showed them getting back-shot in the prequels, and even they were more elite Jedi. I guess I really should do a little research. The only thing is, I eventually see us players capable of becoming much more powerful over the course of the game, and there's only so far a trooper can go without the force or something like that. It is worth noting that the equipment/abilities the trooper gets access to could completely derail that statement.

I apologize if I've again said something stupid. I really should read the books sometimes, I suppose. Anyways, correct any mistakes I've made if you wish.

In regards to your first statement, I can see where you're coming from. I haven't seen anything myself that says it's changing as much as guild wars 2 is (I'm basing that off of Guild Wars 2's dynamic events. We have yet to see if they'll live up to the hype) but I'm hopeful. I'll likely try it a few weeks after it comes out, just to see the reaction. There will likely be a lot of people playing it for those first couple of weeks, though :p.

Josh Warner
06-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Actually Darth malak and Darth revan where pretty powerful and I would compare them to the jedi at the time of the movies. But because the jedi during the old republic don't really have that much history its really hard to say how powerful they are. You'll probably disprove me as I'm not a star wars nerd, I'm a computer and video game nerd:D. I just like it.

That's two Sith that might have been comparable - out of hundreds if not more. The "Average" Sith was a hell of a lot weaker back in those days is what I'm saying. The player would be one of these nameless Sith, whereas the guy playing a trooper would be among the elite of troopers. In the grand scheme of things old republic is the only period where jedi/sith can be somewhat balanced. However I personally preferred SWG's pre-CU system where only a handful of people ever attained Jedi, and yes, yes they were overpowered in most versions. But with so few of them running around, it wasn't an issue and it always something to work towards. The thing is that it felt right.

Ah, forgive my ignorance. I've only ever seen the movies, and enjoyed 1-2-3 better than the "first" movies that were made. Yes, I know I'm strange. But ah well.
In any case, you're saying that, say, the troopers should be related to figures like Commander Cody, I suppose? That makes sense, looking at it that way, as he seemed pretty beastly from what I saw.

Also, the original movies did indeed have very few Jedi, which was anti-climatic compared to KOTOR (which I just played for the first time today). I also don't really know what the average Jedi was, power wise, as it really only showed them getting back-shot in the prequels, and even they were more elite Jedi. I guess I really should do a little research. The only thing is, I eventually see us players capable of becoming much more powerful over the course of the game, and there's only so far a trooper can go without the force or something like that. It is worth noting that the equipment/abilities the trooper gets access to could completely derail that statement.

I apologize if I've again said something stupid. I really should read the books sometimes, I suppose. Anyways, correct any mistakes I've made if you wish.

In regards to your first statement, I can see where you're coming from. I haven't seen anything myself that says it's changing as much as guild wars 2 is (I'm basing that off of Guild Wars 2's dynamic events. We have yet to see if they'll live up to the hype) but I'm hopeful. I'll likely try it a few weeks after it comes out, just to see the reaction. There will likely be a lot of people playing it for those first couple of weeks, though :p.

I'm actually not that big of a starwars buff, I just happen to know tons of random stuff.

For example - there are certain materials that can stop a lightsaber. Imagine a Mandalorian (Boba Fett's people) wearing armor that can shrug off lightsabers. While ability wise a trooper might not be able to compete with a Jedi, the Jedi will also likely be unable to use special abilities (IE: I could picture an artillery strike, or heavy weaponry, perhaps even vehicles who knows), or use the best armor.

Edit: And yes Cody is a fairly good example of a clone trooper that stands far and away superior to most.

otomotopia
06-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Players can expect to win 1:3 fights in SW:TOR easily, with a class that is not geared towards support. They want to bring back the cinimatic hero feeling of MMOs, so you can expect to be like Lando, Wedge Antilles, or either 'Fett', or General Grievous-basically excellent, elite fighters that served as supporting characters.

Josh Warner
06-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Players can expect to win 1:3 fights in SW:TOR easily, with a class that is not geared towards support. They want to bring back the cinimatic hero feeling of MMOs, so you can expect to be like Lando, Wedge Antilles, or either 'Fett', or General Grievous-basically excellent, elite fighters that served as supporting characters.

Not against players though, and taking on that few monsters by yourself is pretty much doable in 9/10 MMOs if not more.

Negthareas
06-04-2010, 06:55 AM

This is my areas...

Clone troopers especially the elite commando squads, were much more mando than stormtrooper. Compared to the qick-cloned stormtropers, they had recieved more than 4 times as much training, most of which was done by elite mandos, [mandilorians] and not computers. You should read the clone trooper books by Karen Travis. She has also done writing for Gears of War and Halo.

Also, Palpatine was probably the most powerful Sith ever. This is because he was not actually Palpatine. Darth Bane was an ancient Sith that had learned to take control of other peopl'es bodies, living in them after his own death.
He was the one that incorporated the Rule of two idea for the sith [instead of the order idea]. Any way, he would get an apprentice, then, when defeated by the more powerful apprentice, but before he was killed, he would take over him/her/it. Then he would have his previous knowledge, and the new knowledge that allowed the apprentice to defeat him. Thus, Palpative was more than a thousand years old, mentally [spiritually - his intellect and memory]. That is why he was able to control all of the senate, etc..

Part of the reason Palpatine was finally defeated ... [was he reallly? He did have so many clones of himself, after all. That was a sadly reoccuring theme]... is that Darth Vader was so robot that he did not want to take him over. That is why he wanted Luke so bad. [er.. to join the dark side].

Any other questions?

**Note I am assuming that Palpatine was Darth Bane because no where else in Star Wars lore does it speak of his demise [whichc would be hard to know about since it would really be someone else's demise] unless he was darht plagius and really was killed by his apprentice [something I find unlikely].

otomotopia
06-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Not against players though, and taking on that few monsters by yourself is pretty much doable in 9/10 MMOs if not more.

True, but does that make my point less valid? :)

Josh Warner
06-04-2010, 09:39 AM
True, but does that make my point less valid? :)

How are they bringing something back when every game already has it?

DarkMaster
06-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Now that I think about it - An ARC trooper might have a chance at taking down a so-so Jedi (definitely not a powerful one, though). This might just work.

Yami-Yagari
06-05-2010, 04:03 AM
You really should check up about the classes´s specs before judging them. The trooper has one of the better armor types in the game, like the bounty hunter, and he´s clearly the tank in SWTOR, so he can take hits. Plus they have some abilities to keep distance between sith units. They can smash them with their guns for knockback and can launch grenades/rockets. Trust me, troopers can fight on even terms with sith warriors.... on a distance :p

Michael Mullens
06-05-2010, 10:34 AM
If it's not action based but instead targeting (Tab-Targeting) based it might as well be City of Heroes Star Wars Mod. It'll be the same crap and one of the features I liked about The Force unleashed is if I attacked a direction, everything that direction got hit. I would hope for the same combat system.

Josh Warner
06-05-2010, 10:46 AM
You really should check up about the classes´s specs before judging them. The trooper has one of the better armor types in the game, like the bounty hunter, and he´s clearly the tank in SWTOR, so he can take hits. Plus they have some abilities to keep distance between sith units. They can smash them with their guns for knockback and can launch grenades/rockets. Trust me, troopers can fight on even terms with sith warriors.... on a distance :p

The question was never about the game being balanced, it was about it being balanced while remaining true to the starwars universe, a regular clone trooper is no more a match for a jedi or sith than the droideka were. But we established there were certain people that would have stood a chance against the jedi and sith, and the idea is these are the type of people that the player will be controlling, not just a standard grunt but a special one.

Yami-Yagari
06-05-2010, 10:47 AM
If it's not action based but instead targeting (Tab-Targeting) based it might as well be City of Heroes Star Wars Mod. It'll be the same crap and one of the features I liked about The Force unleashed is if I attacked a direction, everything that direction got hit. I would hope for the same combat system.

If you want a good action based MMORPG, i suggest you wait for DC Universe Online.
Looking very promising, and good battle system. Plus you can have Arkham Asylum as origin when your evil. :p

Henry Martin
06-05-2010, 12:16 PM

Hey don't ever called a KOTOR game a mod:p.

Swift sword
06-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Well, there's some hope for you yet, as The Force Unleashed 2 is supposed to come out sometime. I don't know exactly when, but I read a couple articles that sound good.

Negthareas
06-05-2010, 09:16 PM

Ah... distance is not really too much of an issue. The jedi can always just force push the grenades back at him, or chop his DC to pieces. Usually, it was through team coordination, as well as surprise [things the jedi were not expecting - mines, booby traps, etc...] that allowed the troopers to win. Arc/Commando Troopers were not wearing true mando iron, just the nice Katarn black ops armor [sometimes] which even then is vulnerable to lightsabers [but not grenades].

DarkMaster
06-06-2010, 05:21 AM
just the nice Katarn black ops armor [sometimes] which even then is vulnerable to lightsabers [but not grenades].
anything is vulnerable to lightsaber blades (except other lightsaber blades).:p

Negthareas
06-06-2010, 09:37 AM
anything is vulnerable to lightsaber blades (except other lightsaber blades).:p

Not true: Mando iron. It is one of the only metals known to be impervious to lightsabers. The only hitch is that it only existed on Mandalor, and was thought to have been completely mined by the time the Empire came around. However, after the Youzong Vong [spelling?] War, a huge deposit was discovered, creating a process that made Mandalor a much stronger political and much more united entitiy.

The famed Boba fett did not have a true mando iron armor [except for the helmet, which was his father's] but rather a durasteel one - since by that time - mando iron was already very scarce, existing primarily in mando iron armor and weapons.

There are other substances that resist lightsabers [cannot think of any names at the moment] simply requiring more time, and a lot more strength to cut through them. The Vong-killer driods made by Lando's weapons company [Tellisandro Arms or something like that] used one of these resistant armors.

DarkMaster
06-06-2010, 04:39 PM
I know cortosis resists lightsabers. At least more than most materials, anyway:p

Emerson120
01-30-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm so excited for this game. Definitely hoping to get into the beta and if not at least a free trial! Bioware rules. :)

SACancel
01-30-2011, 07:30 PM
I've been applied literally months before for the darn beta :( oh well got a new computer since the last time I applied so maybe now!

eternal2u
01-30-2011, 11:29 PM
hell yea kotor will be amazing...all in-game quests are voiced over too which will be awesome for lazy asses like me that dont like to read through the whole thing.

Yngwie
01-31-2011, 09:31 AM
i don't wait too much on this one, i'm feared i would be to disapointed

NobleIre
01-31-2011, 09:38 AM
I've been in a pre-launch guild for SWTOR for over two years, so it certainly better not dissapoint. ;)

Seriously, I think it is going to be the next truly large main-stream mmo. I'm not saying that it's going to reach 'wow' size, only time can tell that, but I think that it will likely prove to at least be the largest since WoW. Being in the star wars franchise, it has the long-term fan-pull. Also, star wars also has a strong pull on the general population.

Aside from that, they have the resources and time to create a truly extensive game. We'll just have to wait and see.

And cortosis is not only resistant to lightsabers, but can also short out lightsabers on contact.

m0rli
02-03-2011, 12:54 PM
hope that old republic will not disappoint all the players that are waiting ....

EdwardTheGreat
02-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Looks like a really fun game, hope it does not disappoint! :)

krgwynne
05-09-2011, 03:58 AM
so want to play this game when it comes out hopeing they dont make the same mistakes as they did in the first one. But from what iv seen and read should be fun as to play . go the bounty hunters lol

shakleford7
05-10-2011, 09:17 AM
yes, definitely looks awesome, I will probably play it even though it will be really expensive

Redhorn
05-16-2011, 12:57 AM
SWTOR is Biowares WoW clone. However it's what a sequal to WoW would look like. It's polished and prettier but the combat system is exactly the same. I think Bioware will apply everything that works in WoW and add a couple more features that WoW doesn't have.
I'm glad some companies are realizing that trying to re-invent the MMO wheel is a mistake. Just building on what Blizzard has brought to the forefront of the genre is the way to go.

The gamebreaker in my opinion would be the difficulty of the game. If they make instanced dungeons and raiding tiered diffuctly like WoW, its gonna fail. 1 mode, like vanilla WoW is the way to go imo. Don't want to see the entire game world running around in gear that's achieved through casual play. Power to the hardcore players.

ThatguyAds1298
12-03-2011, 11:14 AM
I have been playing the beta weekends for this game recently and i have to say the story that bioware have come up with is really good for the classes ive had time to try out, I was wondering if anyone from the community or Reverie is gonna give this game a go?

As the release of the game approaches (20th of december or earlier if you have preordered and got early access) I find myself quite looking forward to playing especially since christmas holidays are around that time too. Although some of the game could use some work in areas i find myself drawn the most to the story aspect, Sure the game will have the things mmo's are supposed to have but the story is what stands out so far for me.

I know this probably means we wont see another single player knights of the old republic game but if bioware do things right it old republic should offer some quality entertainment to those it appeals to.

The cutscenes are very well voice acted too, Youll probably recognise a lot of the voices from kotor, dragon age and mass effect.

So back to my original question, Anyone giving this game a blast? Or considering it? Thoughts?

If we get a few people, I call for a guild called 'Reverie' ! :D

andreicde
12-03-2011, 12:42 PM
heard it's good, but I'll stay away from that. When I'll have time,Dof,Skyrim and friends will be my main priority :D

Zackreaver
12-06-2011, 11:14 PM
My brother and I are going to play through this together, my suggestion, if you ever want to play through this game do the following.

A. DO NOT SPOIL THE STORY (it's the best part of the freaking game)
B. Play with friends (roleplaying adds to the fun also)

I simply love the voice acting in the game, in terms of gameplay though, nothing really new or impressive, basically just a rehashed WoW system, but if you gotta play a WoW styled MMO, at least they gave us a great story to play through.

To be perfectly honest, from playing the beta weekend, I am now so spoiled by the voice acting, that I don't even bother to read text anymore, I might be missing out on a good story for DoF, but honestly I am just that spoiled by the voice acting. It's to the point that I could probably never player other MMO's again unless they had the same voice acting, the level of involvement has such high merit.

Edit: Also, got the ship and did space ship battles during the beta weekend, they are awesome (starfox style) but theres not enough to do with them. Definately tons of content update potential for them however.

Gruber12
02-01-2012, 05:58 AM
I enjoy the game but iam going to wait until more social features are added, pvp gets a lvl bracket and some guild features

colonelsiege
02-04-2012, 06:09 PM
The game is "alright" but it didn't keep my attention after hitting max lvl (50). The endgame content was pretty boring, the world pvp was broken ( enemy could spawn camp the crap out of you and there was nothing you could do about it), No immunity between stuns so you can be permanently stunned by a group of players offering no chance of escape or retaliation, and ALL of the endgame armor sets looked EXACTLY the same as aside from being different colors which is a major turn off for me in terms of continual gameplay. There needs to be a variety in armor designs in my opinion. And lvl 10's being able to kill lvl 50's in warzone pvp matches to, which i find annoying.

Now the leveling experience is exceptional for an MMORPG in my opinion, the narrated quests make it feel like you're actually doing something meaningful when you're killing thos 8 troopers or something of that nature. As opposed to having to read the thing and getting tired of it and just accepting them without reading. The instanced dungeons or "flashpoints" as they are called in the game are engaging and exciting especially the first time you try them.

I will go back to playing once they fix the issues i stated previously, it's a fun game.

buddhist23
02-05-2012, 04:09 PM
It's boring if you play with an alt. Sure, it's fun the first time around. But once you play a character in faction..well that's pretty much it. End game is boring too..not very nice. Armor variety is still not on par with WoW.

Macdonald86
04-03-2012, 06:39 AM
I love playing this game from time to time. It's not that addictive as Skyrim used to be but still very interesting and worth spending time on.

Gruber12
04-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Bioware does seem determined to keep adding content, its still what some people call "Vanillia" version

Commander
04-16-2012, 07:42 AM
SWtOR is epic fail game. Yes, this game has good dialogues and that's all. No content for high lvls , only 3 WZ maps and 1 planet Illum with huge lags.

Gruber12
04-16-2012, 07:28 PM
they are adding new high lvl stuff, a new warzone map was being added last time i checked before going on holiday

Commander
04-17-2012, 01:09 AM
It will not save SWtOR .

Gruber12
04-17-2012, 09:08 PM
its only been out for a few months, you cant expect it to be the most perfect WoW killer MMO ever to exist.

Commander
04-19-2012, 04:21 AM
its only been out for a few months, you cant expect it to be the most perfect WoW killer MMO ever to exist.
So what ? After 1 year nobody will need this SWtOR . Even in Warhammer Online was many things to do for high lvls . And after 2-3 moths GW 2 will eliminate SWtOR at all .

nuno77
05-07-2012, 08:04 AM
the worst part about SWTOR was the blatant bias by the developers to the "dark side". it was horrible expecially as you got to the end tier of the game. From unequal length animations, to everything else (same faction mingames for easy farming for the overpowered side anyone?) the bias was obvious and had a direct impact on the game.

i bought a CE of the game, pre paid for 3 months, got to end game in 4 weeks and never played it again nor felt any urge to return. it was more than a fail, it was an insult to half the gamers that bought that game and decided to play on a side that was purposedly set up to be a punching bag for the "cool kids".