PDA

View Full Version : Release on steam

TH3-Oval
06-01-2010, 06:37 AM
Maybe if this game was released on steam?

I know i definately wont be buying the game if it doesnt get a steam release because of all the hassle associated with playing games these days without steam.

on top of that all the competitors to steam for DRM really suck.. like GWFL or securom.. hell ive never bought a GFWL game or securom game BECAUSE of the hassle (after i bought crysis, i learnt my lesson not to get a securom game)..

as an avid gamer and possible customer surely youd think Devs. would listen and make it easier for me to buy a game rather than making it easier to pirate it.

then again i dont mind GFWL games if they are on steam, it like steam sucks away all badness from GFWL ... thus this post.

Can this game be released on steam?

dominus()
06-01-2010, 06:51 AM
i think this woul be great, ive been talking to some friends on steam about this and it seems that they would be much more likely to buy it if they could get it through steam

LoveToKill
06-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Meh the cando it on steam but i wouldnt get it from steam

Yami-Yagari
06-01-2010, 07:28 AM
It's a big possibility that they'll release this on steam as well, although like LTK will probly not get it from steam.

GPS51
06-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Yeah I hope they do release it online like through steam but after my ETW and Sup Com 2 steam experience I sure plan on buying a box copy.

otomotopia
06-01-2010, 09:13 AM
It can be a problem getting a game on steam as a user, but developers have to run a gauntlet to get their product on steam.

Darvin
06-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Personally, I despise Steam and will never buy a Steam game.

I don't mind it if they make Steam an option, but if they make it mandatory I'm gone.

LoveToKill
06-01-2010, 12:57 PM
im in the same boat as darvin

welshie
06-01-2010, 01:55 PM
have to agree with the above steam = enemy of me!

its a glossed up version of x-fire just some games reqire you to have it....

Josh Warner
06-01-2010, 02:41 PM

I don't mind it if they make Steam an option, but if they make it mandatory I'm gone.

I personally don't buy much from steam for various reasons, but for a lot of people it's a pretty good service, I quite like it. Only company I avoid is gamestop, they really lowball people on the trade ins then gouge people who buy the used ones, that and the whole special stuff only from pre-orders through them.

This sort of decision is up to publishers though, I'm pretty confident it's not going to be just steam if on steam at all lol.

Puppeteer
06-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Well I impersonally don't buy or use it much, either.

Josh Warner
06-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Well I impersonally don't buy or use it much, either.

You sure don't like that word, do you. I use it occasionally just to see if you'll reply, I picture you cringing each time you see it ;)

nickson104
06-01-2010, 05:05 PM
You sure don't like that word, do you. I use it occasionally just to see if you'll reply, I picture you cringing each time you see it ;)

Lol :) Nice to see the devs can even have a few laughs with the public too :) thats always a good sign :) :p

As for me, I rarely use steam, I bought the orange box and that obviously meant I needed steam, it annoyed me... I only use it now when I want to play Team Fortress, which these days isnt that much...

Negthareas
06-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Me, well, I like to hold onto my property... that is one reason I always only buy boxed games. Another reason why I don't prefer monthly payments - It is like I never had the game anyway if I stop paying.

dominus()
06-01-2010, 06:18 PM
i kno theres quite a bit of angst with the more experienced gamers with steam because it can be vey annoying, but for some of us its an easy way of keeping our games, and when your living in a tiny box of a student room its quite hard to find space for all those disks.

I think it would be quite a good way of raising awareness because most of the people i game with have steam, and since i found out about this game ive been going on about it to them because for them the only games they normally buy are the ones advertised on steam, i think the catchment for the game would increase dramatically if it was promoted and sold on steam as well as in retail shops, market segmentation would be very usefull for this game because it reaches, from my perpective, a rts gamers dream and if its done through many distribution channels it will hit more of these people, i could realy see this game setting a new standard for rts games which boast real time game engines. could be a cult classic!

GPS51
06-01-2010, 06:27 PM
I'd like to see them sell through steam. Just not have to install the steam DRM to run the game.

dominus()
06-01-2010, 06:35 PM
I'd like to see them sell through steam. Just not have to install the steam DRM to run the game.

you only have to install steam if it is a game requirement, e.g. if valve made the game, and since valve didnt u wont have to, but u can buy it through steam

GPS51
06-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Well for both ETW and Sup Com 2 I had to install and update through steam to run the game offline...the logic is staggering.

dominus()
06-02-2010, 03:27 AM
Well for both ETW and Sup Com 2 I had to install and update through steam to run the game offline...the logic is staggering.

thats because those companies chose to run their game through either microsoft live or steam, it sucks i kno, epsecialy for napolean total war which i realy dont want to buy through steam cus of the download speed!

nickson104
06-02-2010, 06:48 AM
I agree that selling on Steam can only be a good thing, if optional, If it becomes a necessary then I think it will lose more customers than it will gain... Especially among the forums, from what I have seen over the time i have been here is that most players here are old school players and do everything the old way :) Its Great!!! :)

Darvin
06-03-2010, 04:51 PM

Having to run the application to install and update is on the brigher end of the greyscale in my books. They're, for the most part, one-time deals and you don't look back. Certainly it'll be a hassle when the server support is discontinued, hence why it's still in the greyscale, but that just seems to be the reality these days.

However, having to run the application and stay connected while playing the game goes too far. That's out the greyscale and into the black in my books. I will not accept policies like this, and will not play games that apply them. As consumers, if we don't reject this kind of behavior it won't go away... and could get even worse (see Ubisoft...)

If it becomes a necessary then I think it will lose more customers than it will gain
From what I've heard - and this is mostly anecdotal - most of Steam's support base comes from the FPS crowd, and most of its detractors come from the RTS and TBS crowd. This isn't very surprising since Steam was launched with a high-profile FPS as its flagship product, whereas it has only had a couple of high-profile strategy releases (E:TW, SupCom 2) and it didn't help matters that these were widely considered inferior to their predecessors.

Steam is going to get Civ 5 as an exclusive, so it will be interesting to see how that goes through. We're talking about one of the most revered games in history going with a service that (to a large segment of its own fan base) is reviled. For me, I'm sticking to my principles and won't buy so long as it's on Steam. I have no illusions about that; there's a 90% chance that means I will never buy Civ 5 because it will never be released outside of Steam.

Darathor
06-04-2010, 09:29 AM

I do that too oddly enough.

But I personally don't mind steam so much, it would be nice if DoF was released on steam, but definitely not exclusively on steam, that would just be horrid.

GPS51
06-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Right so the more distribution outlets the better for DoF.

Henry Martin
06-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I personally don't buy much from steam for various reasons, but for a lot of people it's a pretty good service, I quite like it. Only company I avoid is gamestop, they really lowball people on the trade ins then gouge people who buy the used ones, that and the whole special stuff only from pre-orders through them.

This sort of decision is up to publishers though, I'm pretty confident it's not going to be just steam if on steam at all lol.

I'm with you on that. Gamestop F**ks people over badly. Personally with the PC market as it is and with this being an Indie title, I think steam might help with publicity and sale (that also depends on how much Reverie or 'The Publisher' does themselves).

The market is shifting pretty heavy toward digital downloads, more so on the PC and the casual gamer (which is the biggest gaming market; the causal gamer not PC).

Darathor
06-04-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm with you on that. Gamestop F**ks people over badly. Personally with the PC market as it is and with this being an Indie title, I think steam might help with publicity and sale (that also depends on how much Reverie or 'The Publisher' does themselves).

The market is shifting pretty heavy toward digital downloads, more so on the PC and the casual gamer (which is the biggest gaming market; the causal gamer not PC).

I thought this wasn't and "indie" game because it has a "publisher" or am I missing something? Or does it have to do with the look of the game?

Henry Martin
06-04-2010, 04:01 PM
I thought this wasn't and "indie" game because it has a "publisher" or am I missing something? Or does it have to do with the look of the game?

If a development company isn't owned by a publisher it's considered 'Indie' or 'Independent', hence the name. So, if Reverie doesn't get bought up by a publisher its consider an 'Indie' company. Publisher supply the money (as well as their own input, but we won't get into that) for the devs they own or the contracts the set with 'Indie' companies.

Josh Warner
06-04-2010, 04:03 PM

We were due to circumstances an independent developer for quite some time, but the game itself has had outside funding, and will in the future, so it doesn't really count to most people, but the definition is pretty loose and open to interpretation.

Henry Martin
06-04-2010, 04:10 PM
We were due to circumstances an independent developer for quite some time, but the game itself has had outside funding, and will in the future, so it doesn't really count to most people, but the definition is pretty loose and open to interpretation.

True, but I wouldn't consider the funding make any difference. If Reverie still owns the product legal and Reverie itself not owned by another company, regardless of external funding it still would be considered 'Indie'.

Noxeros
06-05-2010, 11:15 AM
I actually hope that they DON'T release this ONLY on steam. As long as there is some other way to play its okay. I get totally random disconnects from steam games... it is not fun.

Henry Martin
06-05-2010, 01:36 PM
I actually hope that they DON'T release this ONLY on steam. As long as there is some other way to play its okay. I get totally random disconnects from steam games... it is not fun.

I agree with you overall. I just think steam is better for indie companies(to get a name out) than store selves. Stores are better for AAA titles. I only now by games at store it if it's something that I really want to play, but if its not I'll get it from steam.

LiTos456
06-06-2010, 08:51 AM
I certainly think they won't release it only on steam, that's ridiculous. If that was the case we'd know it by now.
I don't even think they'll release it on steam at all. Does steam support MMOs?

Henry Martin
06-06-2010, 10:21 AM
I certainly think they won't release it only on steam, that's ridiculous. If that was the case we'd know it by now.

I don't think anyone is/or wants this to be a steam only game. Isn't that mod on steam 'Age of Chivalry' an MMOG?

Aametherar
06-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Maybe if this game was released on steam?

I know i definately wont be buying the game if it doesnt get a steam release because of all the hassle associated with playing games these days without steam.

on top of that all the competitors to steam for DRM really suck.. like GWFL or securom.. hell ive never bought a GFWL game or securom game BECAUSE of the hassle (after i bought crysis, i learnt my lesson not to get a securom game)..

as an avid gamer and possible customer surely youd think Devs. would listen and make it easier for me to buy a game rather than making it easier to pirate it.

then again i dont mind GFWL games if they are on steam, it like steam sucks away all badness from GFWL ... thus this post.

Can this game be released on steam?
You don't by any chance work for steam do you? lol. I'd see a release on steam as an advertising opportunity at best. Personally I don't like steam at all.

LiTos456
06-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't think anyone is/or wants this to be a steam only game. Isn't that mod on steam 'Age of Chivalry' an MMOG?

No, it's server based.
Pretty awesome mod though :p

kateros
06-09-2010, 12:44 PM
I don't get why so many people has anything agianst steam.
I use steam daily and i never has any trouble with it.
On the other side i do understand why yoiu would't want to have steam running while playing. Then agian you would proberly play this game online a majority of the time so dose it matter?

I can understand why people would't want it to be steam exclusive, I don't like that idea either, I always buy it with box.

Darathor
06-10-2010, 09:47 AM

I believe that they do support MMOs. I'm pretty sure you can get Aion and champion's online on steam. As well as a few other MMOs that I don't really remember.

nickson104
06-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Then agian you would proberly play this game online a majority of the time so dose it matter?

Well yes, Dawn Of Fantasy will have its own client, so running steam would be rather pointless and be a waste of memory... It would be a needless waste to run both clients at the same time, why use steam client to launch DoF client?

Henry Martin
06-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Well yes, Dawn Of Fantasy will have its own client, so running steam would be rather pointless and be a waste of memory... It would be a needless waste to run both clients at the same time, why use steam client to launch DoF client?

Yes it does and so do the MMOs on steam. They have a steam and non-steam version.

Unen
06-10-2010, 12:48 PM
I really hope theres a steam option, I know steams not for everyone (why some people dont like it, I can never figure out) but its for me.

One im lazy and it lets me buy the game here and now rather than having to go out and search for it or wait for it to ship. Two the game is bound to your account meaning if my computer crashes/I get another comp./etc I can just log in and it will automatically start downloading again so I dont have to worry about keeping up with my CDs (something im very very bad about lol). Three, well DRM sucks and is starting to get redonculous so steam can be a good alternative to dealing with annoying DRM BS. Not to mention the insane deals that they always have (i mean what store regularly sells you good games for 50%-75% off? ). Just my two cents.
</fanboy rant>

I believe that they do support MMOs. I'm pretty sure you can get Aion and champion's online on steam. As well as a few other MMOs that I don't really remember.

Yep they do, Aion, Eve, Global agenda, star trek online, EQ2 and so on. Ive tried several MMOs bought through the steam client (mostly trials) and honestly the only difference i noticed between steam MMOS and non-steam ones is that you have the option of launching them from steam (you still get desktop shortcuts and what not) other than that they use the same game launcher/ login.

Negthareas
06-10-2010, 01:39 PM
I really don't think there should be a problem with launching a steam version, as long as there is also a non-steam.

I really don't see any reason for the hype about this.

Should I? :confused: :)

Henry Martin
06-10-2010, 03:00 PM
I really don't think there should be a problem with launching a steam version, as long as there is also a non-steam.

I really don't see any reason for the hype about this.

Should I? :confused: :)

Well as Unen pointed out. A lot of people don't want to go to the stores (I myself don't feel like getting my lazy as up to get a game:p) or don't want to buy a physical copy of the game. We all should know that games pile up and disc get lost and/or broken (you only have so long before you can take it back or if you you can even take it back):(. With steam or Digital downloads you don't have to worry about losing the disc, or it getting broken:).

I won't buy the game on steam as I think this game deserves a physical copy:). But I will buy more games on steam (I just start buying games on steam).

The_Biz
06-10-2010, 10:39 PM
steam is actually the biggest hassle of most the digital distribution places

Unen
06-11-2010, 12:08 AM
steam is actually the biggest hassle of most the digital distribution places

Really? The only other one ive tried was the EA store and that was a little bit more of a pain (well as much as clicking a few things and downloading a few programs in order to actually DL the game) and it was only available to DL for a few weeks after which id have to pay again to DL. But I havent tried sites like D2D yet.

@Negthareas there's not much real reason for the hype (as long as they sell a physical copy also) its more of just fanboy V non-fanboy rants lol.

Henry Martin
06-11-2010, 02:59 AM
its more of just fanboy V non-fanboy rants lol.

Lol. I actually haven't had any problems with steam so far. I do like the deals they have (which are better then any store offers "$59.98 new lowest price":p).

It seem more people hate steam then like it in the thread. Until I run into a major problem I'm going to use steam.

GPS51
06-11-2010, 09:00 AM
The idea of steam(companies like them) is terrific. I just find their sticky fingers to be too much. Also the fact that when they go out of business my games may not work. Other then that I love the ability to buy games online and DL them etc.

Darvin
06-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Steam isn't the worst offender out there; it compares very favourably against GFWL or EA's store, but as far as I'm concerned we're comparing **** with ****, wouldn't touch any of them.

The only digital distribution service I've encountered to date that I've been able to live with Impulse. It's not perfect, but it's by far the least of all evils on the market currently.

Michael Mullens
06-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Don't understand the hate for Steam in this discussion. It's just a service like many other services, all similar with maybe a slight niche' variation. I have a steam account (Forced) if I wanted to play DoW2 online. No biggy though as since then I have caught a few deals for 30-50$ games for 10-20 bucks Including Some free games for having a Mac.

Also Steam seems to advertise anything new to it's store so by using this as one outlet will promote and gain a few players i'm sure. Anywho at this point I can't wait to buy a boxed copy from the store, going to frame it!

Darathor
06-12-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm definitely getting a box for this game too! I always like getting boxes better because I just like holding the game in my hands more than watching a bar on the computer move until I can play the game I bought. This game is one of those games to me where you just have to get it in a box, just because.

Aametherar
06-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Well like I said i'd see it as more of an ad thing that anything else, possibly more customers. I wouldn't use it because times change, things change, support goes away, companies go under, ownerships change etc. How much can you really modify/mess with a steam client, tweak it etc? I've been known to pick up a few games from the early 90s and mod them to work on my PC. Steam to me is just a very limited option. Oh and as with every gaming service you can be cut off at any time for an accident/bogus reason, definitely not unheard of, I would never attach a huge pile of games to 1 service like that.

So reasons? I got plenty, that's just the tip of the iceberg, but in short I like my games to be mine, and I like to be able to do with them what I please. Physical copies give you free reign, when it's attached to an online service that requires everything to be up to spec etc. I'm just not seeing the appeal beyond laziness. If people want to buy a game I think in general they will, the only thing steam would offer is possibly advertising to more players, but at the same time taking a chunk of profits, so it's a toss up in my opinion. Plus there's nothing stopping Rev~ from setting up their own download shop for lazy people.

Darathor
06-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Well like I said i'd see it as more of an ad thing that anything else, possibly more customers. I wouldn't use it because times change, things change, support goes away, companies go under, ownerships change etc. How much can you really modify/mess with a steam client, tweak it etc? I've been known to pick up a few games from the early 90s and mod them to work on my PC. Steam to me is just a very limited option. Oh and as with every gaming service you can be cut off at any time for an accident/bogus reason, definitely not unheard of, I would never attach a huge pile of games to 1 service like that.

So reasons? I got plenty, that's just the tip of the iceberg, but in short I like my games to be mine, and I like to be able to do with them what I please. Physical copies give you free reign, when it's attached to an online service that requires everything to be up to spec etc. I'm just not seeing the appeal beyond laziness. If people want to buy a game I think in general they will, the only thing steam would offer is possibly advertising to more players, but at the same time taking a chunk of profits, so it's a toss up in my opinion. Plus there's nothing stopping Rev~ from setting up their own download shop for lazy people.

I believe that it was proposed that it would be only be an option to have it connected with steam at all, and that being if you download it from steam. Whereas if you wanted to go out and buy a box from the store, then you could and then download and play the game without ever logging into steam.

Henry Martin
06-26-2010, 07:39 PM

I really disagree with the laziness part. Not every one wants 10s to 100s of box, disc laying around (thats why netflix is becoming big). The games do add up and consume space. You can loose a digital copy of something just as easy as a physical copy. If you break a physical copy a lot stores will not replace unless you bought a warranty (and thats warranty is limited). Their is a lot more factors then laziness. What about people how don't have cars or people who are miles away from a store that sells games? Some people don't have the time to do those things.

One thing to keep in mind that you obviously don't know is that a lot of developer don't want to put their products on store selves. Whatever is not sold will go back to them. Also it cost more money to put a game on stores selves them it does to put it online. Online store also help indie companies get a name for themselves.

Laziness is only a small part of online shopping.

krgwynne
07-07-2010, 08:24 PM
steam has wrecked so many games so please dont let it ruin this one too :D :D

Yami-Yagari
07-08-2010, 01:16 AM
I really have bad memories with steam and several other O.D.C.'s (like EA Download Manager). I'd rather be lugging around countless discs then one day discovering i have to pay 40 euro all over again, just because it has an expiration date.:mad:

Mikey
07-08-2010, 01:38 AM
well i live 60 miles from the nearist game store so steam is a plus in my book

Miclee
07-10-2010, 02:50 PM
I've used Steam for most new game releases in the past few years, nothing has gone wrong so far.

+1 to this idea.

WilsonMG
07-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Just don't release a stand-alone expansion through Steam that's supposedly compatible with the original and supposedly even able to be combined for owners of both. <cough>ArmA 2<cough><cough> :p

dominus()
07-11-2010, 04:55 AM
i've been usin steam for years and years, nothings ever gone wrong, i think its better to offer it 2 steam users than 2 not, its just pointless cutting down your own market, especialy since the gaming industry is shrinking somewhat on computers

WilsonMG
07-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Just don't make Steam a requirement for launching the game, that's always annoying.

Miclee
07-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Yeah, allow it to be launched even if Steam isn't open.

WilsonMG
07-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Nothing wrong with selling a game there though, I buy a lot of my games these days through Steam because it's the most reliable digital download source and you can uninstall/reinstall indefinitely.

I still feel that way even though they completely dropped the ball with the ArmA 2 expansion and have caused me all sorts of headaches, not to mention the fact that I now have members who can't play on our dedicated server because they bought the DVD version.

Mikey
07-11-2010, 03:15 PM
somone should make a steam page for dof seems like a lot of people have steam

Miclee
07-11-2010, 03:28 PM
I'll make us a group, hold a few minutes.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Dawnoffantasy/

Sorting a few things out in it.

Mikey
07-11-2010, 03:29 PM
ok tell me ur steam name so i can add u

Miclee
07-11-2010, 03:39 PM
I linked the Steam group.

Zeluk
07-24-2010, 04:16 AM
I don't see an overwhelming advantage to making DoF a Steam only game, it would make more sense to have it as one of the options.

I have no illusions about that; there's a 90% chance that means I will never buy Civ 5 because it will never be released outside of Steam.

I think you'll have a better chance than that. Simply far to many of their potential customers won't go through Steam to play it. You won't get to play it when the game first releases, probably not even for the next year or so but eventually Steam will lose it's Civ 5 exclusive.

Henry Martin
07-24-2010, 10:02 AM
I don't see an overwhelming advantage to making DoF a Steam only game, it would make more sense to have it as one of the options.

Thats the thing. No one is saying having it just for steam. I could help promote and potentially widen their market if they have it "also" on steam. Having on steam and in the stores would be good as there are a lot of people that just buy **** on the internet compare to most people who know what they want before they go to a store. What most people don't realize hear is the PC market has gotten very small over the past few years. The casual gamer is the biggest market (at about 70-80%) and that PC market is mostly hardcore gamers, not casual gamers. So steam could help out more then most people are giving it credit for regardless of there personal opinion.

nickson104
07-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Thats the thing. No one is saying having it just for steam. I could help promote and potentially widen their market if they have it "also" on steam. Having on steam and in the stores would be good as there are a lot of people that just buy **** on the internet compare to most people who know what they want before they go to a store. What most people don't realize hear is the PC market has gotten very small over the past few years. The casual gamer is the biggest market (at about 70-80%) and that PC market is mostly hardcore gamers, not casual gamers. So steam could help out more then most people are giving it credit for regardless of there personal opinion.

True, the casual game industry has boomed in recent years, and pc gaming overall (other than casual gaming) is in decline. However, it is widely known that for many genres of games, a pc is so much better. RTS being one of these. The people who play RTS, usually know their style of game and if they see it will be interested. To be honest, I doubt this game will appeal to any other than this sort of people. You are right though, if we also had it available on steam, it is basically free advertising, Steam publish the games they sell onto their lists, and have genre searches. There may be a larger potential reached by selling through steam also.

However we must realise that to organise that would take a lot of time and effort to organise, and would be up to the publisher of the game...

Henry Martin
07-24-2010, 05:56 PM
True, the casual game industry has boomed in recent years, and pc gaming overall (other than casual gaming) is in decline. However, it is widely known that for many genres of games, a pc is so much better. RTS being one of these. The people who play RTS, usually know their style of game and if they see it will be interested. To be honest, I doubt this game will appeal to any other than this sort of people. You are right though, if we also had it available on steam, it is basically free advertising, Steam publish the games they sell onto their lists, and have genre searches. There may be a larger potential reached by selling through steam also.

However we must realise that to organise that would take a lot of time and effort to organise, and would be up to the publisher of the game...

Agreed I wouldn't want to play a RTS on the console. Digital downloads is becoming the route that a lot of companies want to take. Going through stores like walmart, gamestop, etc has actually more problems and irritations then most people know (any unsold games, those companies can send back to the devs or publishers). Why do you think the indie market thrives on the internet, with steam. Because there is less problems (and less money that has to be dished out).

nickson104
07-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Agreed I wouldn't want to play a RTS on the console. Digital downloads is becoming the route that a lot of companies want to take. Going through stores like walmart, gamestop, etc has actually more problems and irritations then most people know (any unsold games, those companies can send back to the devs or publishers). Why do you think the indie market thrives on the internet, with steam. Because there is less problems (and less money that has to be dished out).

Yup, but there are the old school players who feel cheated by solely having a digital copy, for example I felt much better buying the orange box instore as it included a case and disc, although this basically led to me needing to download the games digitally anyway... A balance must be achieved :)

Henry Martin
07-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Yup, but there are the old school players who feel cheated by solely having a digital copy, for example I felt much better buying the orange box instore as it included a case and disc, although this basically led to me needing to download the games digitally anyway... A balance must be achieved :)

Yes definitely I feel the same way. That's one reason why digital downloads is still a new thing and why it's not as big as it could be, but its still going that why. Talking with some people from the industry, I was surprised on how many wanted digital download period, back in the 90's. When you look at it all that you are paying for is just information on a piece of plastic in a box.:D

blackfang
07-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Yes definitely I feel the same way. That's one reason why digital downloads is still a new thing and why it's not as big as it could be, but its still going that why. Talking with some people from the industry, I was surprised on how many wanted digital download period, back in the 90's. When you look at it all that you are paying for is just quality information bringing the word addiction into the world to other things then what you grow in your backyard on a piece of plastic in a box.:D
Corrected^^

illicit87
08-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Where I live it's online purchases for games, or Gamestop/Walmart... not a fan of either one but the lesser of the evils for me is Steam. I can install/uninstall games at leisure and not have to worry about losing CD Keys or scratching disks. I like steam but it really does have its issues at times.

Don't make me go to Gamestop though... for the love of God and all that is holy! I mean have you SEEN their new marketing? I don't even think they are trying...

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/gamestop-and-bend-over.jpg

Ba'al
11-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Steam? If you like it, use it. But leave it to that. I don't like it, why should I accept beeing forced to use it? Normally, I tell the program when to run, now programs tell me when I have to run them. So just no. No, no and no. I think Steam sure offers some features that some people might find appealing, but I do not need it.

As soon as Steam becomes mandatory, I will refuse to buy Dawn of Fantasy. In fact, I refuse to accept any game with steam, even if I could get it for free.

If you think Steam might help the game, make it optional, so both sides are happy.

Lol @ Game Stop.
Doesn't "(to) bend over" mean... well, to vomit? Or am I confusing something here? O.o

Henry Martin
11-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Steam? If you like it, use it. But leave it to that. I don't like it, why should I accept beeing forced to use it? Normally, I tell the program when to run, now programs tell me when I have to run them. So just no. No, no and no. I think Steam sure offers some features that some people might find appealing, but I do not need it.

As soon as Steam becomes mandatory, I will refuse to buy Dawn of Fantasy. In fact, I refuse to accept any game with steam, even if I could get it for free.

If you think Steam might help the game, make it optional, so both sides are happy.

This is what everyone is saying. No one is saying to make dof a steam only game, we're just saying that dof should "ALSO" be on steam to help with sales and promotion. Regardless of how you feel about steam it still makes a lot of money (especially for indie games). Also for you info, digital downloading is less hassle then dealing with stores, thats why game companies are pushing toward digital downloads (and cheaper).

srpiccoro
11-04-2010, 04:50 PM
I haven't seen anyone suggest Gamersgate or Impulse, I use them in addition to steam, because there are certain games that steam makes running worse.....and the fact that you don't have to update through them (gamersgate thank you)

SilverLeaf
11-06-2010, 03:12 AM
I can't accurately convey in words my intense hate for steam. GamersGate FTW.

Espadachim
11-06-2010, 04:40 PM
If DoF is only steam sale, it would totally ruin my 2011. :mad:

(I particularly prefer going to the game shop.)

Toth
11-28-2010, 04:22 AM
I definatly hope it gets on steam, I'm a big steam fan. Also steam would help the game reach a far bigger audience then just an announcement on this site and some ads scattered around.

With all respect to all the steam-haters, I think the benefits of going on steam far outweigh the few people that don't like it. Besides, if the haters really wanted to play this game they'd overcome their dislike of steam.

szebus
11-28-2010, 05:05 AM
It would not be a bad thing to be able buying the game on steam, thus it has the games for windows logo and it will then be buy-able trough Games for Windows Marketplace. Still sincerely hope that also we will have the possibility to buy it from gamersgate ans steam.

jleem21
11-28-2010, 11:22 AM
If DoF was to not have the mmorts feature then I think Steam would be an excellent choice to advertise and sale DoF on. Every time a Steam user logs in we always view like 3 pages of Steam sales, which could even perhaps advertise and show DoF as an upcoming game or new release. If so then just like that have DoF exposed itself to around 2 million Steam users who will now take time in their busy schedules to consider looking up more information about DoF. If anything, forums might be created within Steam to discuss DoF. I personally think that Steam as a program,software, game marketing thingy is great. I've purchased at least 12 games off of Steam, a bunch of which were in some combo bunch sale. And Steam always has the best sale! On another note, I don't really like going to Gamestop to pick up video/computer games. DoF as a game mainly for the pc(360 version if released might really just be a lesser version) should and will obviously be sold at other stores other than Gamestop including Bestbuy, and maybe even Circuitcity. I'm only eh about Gamestop having DoF is because their collection of Pc games...is just..really sad..
.All in all, I'd def buy and play the ****! out of DoF. I feel like it'll be a mix of Stronghold, Total War games, and AoE games. I simply can't wait for it's released and just to have the actual game box/case including the manual, I'd def go out to gamestop and or bestbuy to pick to baby up!

sordurar
12-03-2010, 06:01 AM
steam would indeed be a great way to promote this game fully.

biggest_kid
12-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Im not sure if steam is a good idea as they are often overpriced and the servers are always down and lots of people have problems with steam. And steam's customer support absolutely sucks, its like they dont care whether they keep customers or not.

That said it is very convenient haha.

zudalu
12-04-2010, 05:12 PM
I do not have steam on my computer and do not want to

Polan
12-04-2010, 05:22 PM
biggest_kid Steam customer support is actually really nice :). Had to write to them few times, and they always responded fast and in problemsolving way.

Gr4Ss
12-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Im not sure if steam is a good idea as they are often overpriced and the servers are always down and lots of people have problems with steam. And steam's customer support absolutely sucks, its like they dont care whether they keep customers or not.

That said it is very convenient haha.

Have you ever actually used steam?

If you look at the discounts steam gives (generally 50% to 75%) on some games which are actually worth buying I wouldn't call them overpriced. Nor have I ever seen their servers down for a long time (which is longer than 5 seconds).

And before you judge steam on their support you should try out the support somewhere else. They actually responded to me on the same day I send them a support ticket.

LiTos456
12-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Yeah that's probably the most inaccurate statement I've heard lately. Steam is wonderful in all of those 3 aspects: They have a lot of sales, more than anywhere else, which gives me a chance to try games (many are often AAA titles); their servers are always working and nobody has problems with it. Their support is also helpful.

Gr4Ss
12-04-2010, 05:51 PM
And of course you also have the automatic updates (god I love those), in-game browser which actually works and steam friends which makes things so much easier.

DeusVult
12-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Do not like steam, and i think they won't release dawn there

illicit87
12-04-2010, 10:09 PM
I get most of my games on steam now... for the simple fact that when I switch PCs or go to a friend's house I don't have to bring CDs. :)

Bourne
12-05-2010, 12:48 AM
I used to hate steam, alas...it is great software and hardware. Downloads are fast, great discounts and many games. I have yet to have to contact support, can't comment on that.

I think DOF will do well on Steam.

Bier_Kanonier
12-06-2010, 01:48 PM
let us hope steam will be an option, but not forced

damunzy
12-06-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm another that would like the option to buy it through Steam.

hooba
12-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Amazon option, steam option, direct option. I don't really care as long as there is an online option haha.

Steam would be a great way to gain some exposure and definitely makes it easier for some though.

Angbad
12-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Steam release would really make it easy lol

DeliCious
01-18-2011, 08:42 AM
I wonder what price it would be if to steam ? i would go for 35 and 10 A month if its well worth it.

Konstantin Fomenko
01-18-2011, 08:43 AM
i would go for 35 and 10 A month if its well worth it.

There will be no monthly fee - just a one time payment. As for the starting price - our publisher should release this information in the coming month.

Manasky
01-19-2011, 08:35 AM
I buy practically all my games on Steam nowadays, and I hope DOF will be released on Steam as well. It's a great service! :)

olane123
01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
A release on steam would be epic if the price was kept low as it would give the game a wider audience and tbh the digital download market is the future, i would also prefer it just simply because its a secure transaction

but saying that i would probs buy retail if it goes that way

LoLzLobster
01-19-2011, 12:55 PM
I am a pretty big fan of steam, I think some of the detractors here may just have low download speeds. I DL from steam at 2.5 mbps so a 7gb game takes about 55 minutes to download. I think that that is pretty acceptable. I don't think that steam neglects RTS's either, I am a huge fan of the Dawn of War series and DOWII requires steam. The only drawback is that is uses GFWL too.. I am very glad the next expansion is ditching GFWL for steamworks.

Don't you guys like the steam overlay? Being able to shift+tab to get to ur friends list and a web browser?

guitarist123
01-19-2011, 04:14 PM
It would make life much easyer if the game was on steam.. but Steam will need so kind of payment.. thous increasing game dev and it could cary over to the players. Also updates are hader to upload ot steam then if u run your own updater.

reddot
01-20-2011, 01:17 AM
steam can be a blessing and a curse both at the same time...

I myself would buy the game if it turns out to be good even thought it wouldnt be in steam. I dont like steam so much that I would buy things rather from there than from a proper shop...

With steam probably the game could get a little more publicity, but then there migth be some kinda of restrictions to the game becouse of steam...

Ichigo
01-20-2011, 01:26 AM
Variety is the spice of life right? I would imagine that to offer the game in as many places as possible would benefit the game and the developers. One thing to consider would be the publisher, 505 games, just doing a quick search only shows one item, a trailer, on steam and 0 games. Not to say it won't happen, but doesn't seem like they have a current history with releasing games on Steam. I don't know what the process is for getting a game on steam, but I am sure it couldn't be too bad.

I am not sure if I would get a physical copy of the game yet (haven't played it yet :D ), so if I am on the fence about it, I am much more likely to impulsively buy it on Steam (or Steam like store) then picking the game up in a brick and mortar store.

Rycon
01-20-2011, 08:03 AM
A steam release would be very good for publicity.

nobby
01-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Personally i think steam has come a long way since it started, when i hated it...

Giving a portal and wide audience to Indie games is a big plus against all the hassle it causes..

i never understood why is has to be so bloated either.

SonicMonkey
01-20-2011, 11:19 AM

I LOVE having the option to get a product on Steam. But I hate when it's mandantory. Regardless I'll get it when it comes out. And if it's on Steam I'll get it there. Steam is just too convienent to use and being able to install / uninstall simply from Steam as I want is just nice. Plus I can carry it all over easy and install without disks to a new computer etc.

I get tired of having boxes of games laying around. Then I lose the disks etc...

ladyelysium
01-20-2011, 11:35 AM
A steam release would be very good for publicity.

This x 1000. Steam is fantastic for publicity these days, especially because they do run the market when it comes to online download for games.

Corcscrew
01-20-2011, 11:59 AM
The only time I buy games from Steam is if the game is having a really good sale or if I wanted to play the game but knew it probably wouldn't give me a lot of re-playability. If there's a game I have really wanted, I will buy the hard copy. With hard copies you get the cool box, game art (sometimes), and lately even a free DLC with the purchase of a hard copy. Plus, there's nothing like the excitement of buying a game, taking it home, and unwrapping it with that feeling in your stomach like a kid on christmas morning.

Refleax
01-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Steam is unpredictable at times and from what I experienced it's not really mod friendly but I still use it to buy games which are on sale sometimes just like Corcscrew said. :)

Thunderborn
01-20-2011, 12:52 PM
I like steam because the game is always there if you ever need to download it again. I always buy the hard copy though.......takes to long to download usually otherwise.

Actually thats a question I would like to ask recently I brought Two Worlds 2 online only because that was the only way I could get it early without waiting for the USA release. What I was dreading was the download time but it was INCREDIBLY fast. It downloaded so fast that I thought there wasnt going to be anything to the game but the game is huge with great multiplayer content also. I had a friend download the game and he said the same thing. So I did the DC Online Beta thing and OMFG the download took forerver. What is that company doing to make it so fast where others have failed.

If all games I wanted downloaded so fast online I would stick to digital downloading. Thats the only reason I try to stay away from steam that and thier customer service is pretty bad.

McGti
01-20-2011, 12:53 PM
agree! they will need a Steam release!

shrubhead
01-20-2011, 01:07 PM
steam release would be awesome, but understandable if it doesn't happen.

Paffp
01-20-2011, 01:30 PM
I think it should be released for it.

Piaskowy
01-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Never had any problems with steam, good as distributor, as game updates looks decent, better then box tho

Smithy
01-20-2011, 01:53 PM
As a new commer here... I prefer my games thought steam..

But isnt this supopse to be a MMORTS? so wont the game have its own server were the clinet is suppose to connect to? i suppose you could still sell it in steam and the client would still connect to the one server? right

DarkLord7854
01-20-2011, 06:36 PM
+1 for Steam, love it. However, I wouldn't consider it a dealbreaker if it doesn't go on Steam

Konstantin Fomenko
01-20-2011, 06:55 PM
This is completely unofficial - but I think we will see Dawn of Fantasy distributed through Steam as well as other online retailers. Hopefully myself or our publisher (505 games) will be able to confirm this in the coming weeks.

akyko
01-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Steam is nice, but is it that much simpler than have a downloaded file from Dawn of Fantasy website if they were to go a non-boxed route themselves instead of steam?

Ya, a CD can be annoying especially if your CD drive is a bit stubborn cause someone spilled syrup on it. lol! But are you really that constricted on hard drive space in this day and age that you have to uninstall and reinstall to play different games? This beta only requires what 2gb?

GoGoCactusMan!
01-20-2011, 11:29 PM
I've been a PC gamer for a long, LOOOONNNNNG time, mostly for RTS games.

However, I did have a long love affair with Counter Strike, from beta testing it till its full release. It was a desperate love affair, where I feared every second that my true love of C&C would find out and dump me. Sadly this happened. She left, found a new man named EA, who abused her, relentlessly...

Ahem, getting back to my point.

There came a point where Steam came into the picture, and if I wanted to play CS, I had to use Steam. I tooled around with it a bit, then fell off the map with CS for a while, only looking back at the game when CS: Source was to be released with Half Life 2.

Yes, when Steam came out, it was pretty awful. Mind you, I had no trouble with it, it just was not the greatest of software.

However, over the years, I've found myself loving it. I have a vast PC game collection at this point in my life, and far too often have I misplaced a case or had a cd key vanish. With Steam, if I ever lose any of my physical material, I can just re download it with a click, or even right click, and check what the cd key was. Its rather fantastic, and anyone adamant against Steam is honestly missing out on a great service that has great support around it.

Hands down though, one of its greatest strengths has been introducing me to lots of games that I would have never found if not for Steam. Many indie RTS games as well as other genres have popped up on their news blurbs when you hit the main page, things I loved, played to death, and will always suggest to gamers I meet who are looking for something fresh and inexpensive.

I know I'm not the only one who has had this happen too, I'm sure more than most have bought a good game through Steam that otherwise would never have gotten much attention.

My honest opinion is: At least look into a Steam release. It has some monumental advantages to help the game flourish and find an audience that may not have ever heard of the title but have always been looking for what it offers.

Wyzak
01-20-2011, 11:36 PM
+1 for Steam release, most people don't require the additional media that come in a boxed set. Also a steam release is wonderful if you have just had your pc stolen...

DarkLord7854
01-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Steam is nice, but is it that much simpler than have a downloaded file from Dawn of Fantasy website if they were to go a non-boxed route themselves instead of steam?

Ya, a CD can be annoying especially if your CD drive is a bit stubborn cause someone spilled syrup on it. lol! But are you really that constricted on hard drive space in this day and age that you have to uninstall and reinstall to play different games? This beta only requires what 2gb?

The convenience of Steam is that most people already have it, and it's a lot easier to have things under 1 account than spread over multiple accounts. Also, the Steamwork services are rather nice and if integrated into them, would provide a nice little extra layer to the game.

Oaktotem
01-22-2011, 04:00 PM
The problem with steam is they can ban your account for pretty much anyreason (although they are not power hungry and only ban with justification.) But after receiving such a ban all of your games will be unaccesible.

I like steam and have never had a problem but that is the other side of the coin.

Rhino
01-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Two thumbs up for steam ! I am constantly using them for buying new games even more so than going to the shops.

You see if DOF went through steam aswell as other online places, more people would buy the game as it is always just a few clicks away to download. Although putting the games in retail stores is always a good idea since i know some people who like to collect the boxes for the games...me....>.>

To be fair though I would rather be able to download the game from an online provider rather than going out to the shops as it would not take as much effort (yes im lazy).

I give my approval! ;D

atsumok
01-22-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm not to big on steam but i say put the game on there what the down fall?

DerKater
01-23-2011, 03:53 AM
I will say in support of sales through service Steam. Since Dawn of Fantasy is declared as a MMO game. At least one of the MMO games purchased through Steam (in my case it's Star Trek Online) makes it easy to use keys, and the client to download the game without going through Steam. Perhaps such kind of spreading would suit most users.

Verrenth
01-23-2011, 07:04 AM
I am also in favor of a steam release i have several of my games through steam and i like the convenient interface and management and in game interface but as oak stated they can ban you as a third party and make your steam games inaccessible.

Froody42
01-23-2011, 09:03 AM
I'll throw in my vote for a Steam release. Not only because I'm an avid Steam user myself, but also because I believe it would be good for the game. Steam reaches a very large amount of PC gamers and displays new games prominently on their front page, which would be great publicity for DoF. There are many people out there right now who simply don't know about this game.

Especially since two of PC gaming's greatest RTS franchises, Total War and Dawn of War, have both required Steam for quite some time, there are bound to be a great deal of strategy fans registered with Steam by now. Reaching this audience could only benefit sales.

Th3 Mastodon
01-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Steam woulde be a great way to both advertise and sel the game

Warchamp84
01-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Personally i would not buy from steam either but if they put it on steam it would really provide them with great advertisement. Steam is really good at advertising. Also when open beta is out put that on steam, seriously people will really take a look at it. IT is a great way of marketing the game. But still keep a non-steam version as well since many people like myself don't particularly like steam.

ElegantPete
01-24-2011, 05:58 AM
I've been thinking about this a bit actually.

Steam is really the way to go. You can allow people to trickle their downloads prior to release so that your servers aren't smashed to pieces.

Key management is there and it encourages people to not hack etc as their other games are potentially at risk if a ban is issued.
Also, the audience is huge, I know of at least 8 people that check steam everyday, some more than once for specials or updates.

It also means you can integrate with the steam achievements which are then propagated across social networking etc.
Plus, digital distribution is cheaper for all concerned and it's a little less taxing on the environment.

Just my 2c. :D

Cheers,
Pete

Danoli3
01-24-2011, 06:12 AM
Was just looking for this thread... Definitely go for steam!

Wizaerd
01-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Steam? No thank you.

darkviju
01-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Steam would be a very good option to promote the game, as even other "little" developpers have already said. There are games that are only distributed by Steam, or most of the sales are thank to that.
So yes, as an user you can be against that and consider yourself as the most pure gamer and other cool things, but the real thing is that it helps, and a lot, to promote not so big games.

And of course I'm not mentionning the wonderful offers they do (in an user point of view this time).

furanlost
01-24-2011, 02:04 PM
I use steam and it does help promote games. If the game didn't require steam but was still on it, then that would be two birds with one stone. Those that don't like do have to use it, and potential customers that wouldn't have known about the game will have some info on it.

Peacebringer01
01-24-2011, 03:22 PM
+1 for Steam. It's a great way to promote games, a ton of people play tf2, counterstrike, battlefield bad company 2, and other games all through the steam program. Plus all the people who do play their whole friends list will see them playing DoF and have to go check it out, that's what lead me to Dragon Age anyways

luizeba
01-24-2011, 04:32 PM
It'll be really difficult to me buy the game if it isn't released at Steam.

A regular game costing 50 USD in the US, when come to Brazil, costs about 150 USD.

I can't afford 150$ in a game. But 50$ sound reasonable!

Noel Bohac
01-24-2011, 07:50 PM
I prefer steam more and more, I use to be the oppisist and the millions of players on steam pretty much say what the main-stream is thinking. I get the anti-steam thoughts, I use to be there, but in the end steam at least allows unlimited re-downloads and more. For those that cheat thou and get caught they loose everything so for that, sure if you like to cheat, ya this might be a concern. Not saying anyone here is taking that defense, but that is pretty much my personal experiance on it.

I have no doubt they will have alternative means, but having a steam option is great in my opinion.

-Guardious

rebelglitch
01-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Steam would be a great option for this game, but as long as its available as a download of some sort will be fine with me. Both Steam and GFWL will help with promoting this game. The more sources that they can get the game on the better the changes that the in game play will even better.

Ezekiel
02-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Yeh i'd like to see it on steam as well. I personally have a lot of games/friends on steam so it would be nice, plus steam has so many gamers it could only help with the publicity of the game.

Braveman
02-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Yea I agree it would make it alot easier to play with friends and because steam shows what game your are playing it can be like a bit of free advertisment.

TheHoboGod
02-09-2011, 03:13 PM
If it does get a steam release what would make my day is a Team Fortress 2 crossover (where you get items for doing something for the game linking to TF2). In my opinion that would make me a definite buyer as I am a TF2 player & fan, + I already love this game regardless. Maybe a halberd for the soldier, or a troll club for the heavy :p .

FuRioN
02-09-2011, 03:14 PM
I have never had any problems with steam(knock on wood). But I support anything you guys choose of course.

Arnfiarnunn Neanias
02-09-2011, 03:17 PM
As a steam user I'll be please to be abble to buy the game with my account.

Tadian
02-11-2011, 03:22 PM
I like steam but the games are often more expensive compared to retail versions.

I mostly only buy older games on steam that are on midweek/weekend sales.

So steam sale would be nice but it won't stop me from buying this game if it doesn't get released on steam.

BloodOfDeath
02-16-2011, 12:14 AM
Steam is a good sound system I would love to see it on steam

darthterror
02-16-2011, 04:52 PM
I vote for a Steam release
and if i can, i will buy the game on it;)

Henry Martin
02-17-2011, 03:34 PM
I like steam but the games are often more expensive compared to retail versions.

I think this is the second time someone mentioned this in here. I would like to know where you see this? Steams prices are either the same as the retail price or less (more often less). Retail would be more expensive because companies have to pay for box the software, the content in the box, and having stores shelve their products. So they are less likely to lower the price, compared to digital versions which doesn't have those fees.

PJ Hardon
02-17-2011, 07:52 PM
+1 for Steam I don't usually play games unless I buy them from steam. Its easy for DLC and updates and once every million years i like to play my old games but slowly loose the discs. so no more hard copies for me.

Rinamas
02-19-2011, 09:33 AM
+1 for Steam I don't usually play games unless I buy them from steam. Its easy for DLC and updates and once every million years i like to play my old games but slowly loose the discs. so no more hard copies for me.

I'd have to agree with PJ my kids lose my disks constantly, i don't care for the steam network because of the secondary log-in and the extra processes and resources being used while I'm playing , but some sort of digital download would be a great option, i prefer "Direct to Drive" for my game purchases.

Smegafier
02-20-2011, 04:16 PM
I definately won't be buying the the game if it comes out on steam, I bought total war empires which was the first total war game to use steam and it was nothing but problems. Having to connect to the internet to play a mainly 1 player game and having to download the game even though I bought the discs.. Im sure you guys know how long it takes to download 20gigs, I found a way to bypass downloading it from steam but not from the official website..why would it make you download it if you have the discs? and then you can bypass it ANYWAY.

I also bought dawn of war 2 and had the same problems, all I know is I had no problems with any of the total war games since shogun and dawn of 1 but as soon as steam was included it was a nightmare.

Also putting it on steam only stops the online multiplayer part of the game from being pirated, I illegally downloaded dawn of war 2 and total war empires to play on single player which is all I wanted to do in the first place and the pirated versions worked better.

Just don't make it mandatory.

WoOpin
02-22-2011, 10:37 AM
I think this is the second time someone mentioned this in here. I would like to know where you see this? Steams prices are either the same as the retail price or less (more often less). Retail would be more expensive because companies have to pay for box the software, the content in the box, and having stores shelve their products. So they are less likely to lower the price, compared to digital versions which doesn't have those fees.

Well if you look at prices from play.com compared to steam play is cheaper hands down unless steam has a sale on. That being said I always buy off steam pretty much 90% of the time. I do not mind paying a little extra to get the game there and then.

Henry Martin
02-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Well if you look at prices from play.com compared to steam play is cheaper hands down unless steam has a sale on. That being said I always buy off steam pretty much 90% of the time. I do not mind paying a little extra to get the game there and then.

By retail, I'm talking about stores that physical locations, like best buy, walmart, target, etc. Most stores that are online only do have better pricing then their physical stores because like I said they don't have all those extra costs for shipping, storing, shelving, etc.

cableslice
02-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Steam is the only way I buy/play PC games anymore. It's very easy to use.

Lanolin
02-22-2011, 03:11 PM
If i want to play an offline game, such as the single player for Dead Space 2.......I have to be connected to steam, were is the justice in that? I see no reason to be connected to ANYTHING if the purpose is to enjoy the game offline, just saying. What if my net is down for whatever reason and i cant play the multiplayer games i usually play, i want to play a single player game to substitute the multiplayer game till my net comes back. Guess what, you have to be connected to steam to play a single player game......idiotic.

WoOpin
02-22-2011, 03:59 PM
By retail, I'm talking about stores that physical locations, like best buy, walmart, target, etc. Most stores that are online only do have better pricing then their physical stores because like I said they don't have all those extra costs for shipping, storing, shelving, etc.

True but in the UK a company called Game usually beats Steams prices too most of the time. Not sure how it fairs with US and other regions.

WoOpin
02-22-2011, 04:03 PM
If i want to play an offline game, such as the single player for Dead Space 2.......I have to be connected to steam, were is the justice in that? I see no reason to be connected to ANYTHING if the purpose is to enjoy the game offline, just saying. What if my net is down for whatever reason and i cant play the multiplayer games i usually play, i want to play a single player game to substitute the multiplayer game till my net comes back. Guess what, you have to be connected to steam to play a single player game......idiotic.

Pretty sure you can run steam in offline mode. Once you have launched a game online, you can run it offline so pretty much when you buy a game on steam you will play it once if your net goes down you can still play.

Lordyoko111
02-22-2011, 04:31 PM
steam games are ok i mean a game is a game u dont like it dont play it, Right?

mimminito
02-28-2011, 02:09 AM
I think hvaing the option to download this through Steam is good enough. To be honest the more routes and options a developer gives to its end user to purchase a game, the better. Cater to as many people as possible, and its a Win-Win situation

hugenhlfan
02-28-2011, 06:01 PM
I have never used steam I have friends who do and all but not myself if it came out on steam I might give it a shot.I don't care how it comes out im getting this game

lokiisgrim
02-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Would love if this game was sold on steam since i do most of my gaming thru steam.

blackone91
03-01-2011, 03:28 AM
steam > all

would be cool to see it there

oppenator
03-01-2011, 04:14 AM
about 80% of the games i paid for are connected to steam. I think it would be a success boost for DoF!

Ba'al
03-02-2011, 10:50 AM
So the general consent here is:

1. Releasing the game via Steam is a good idea for various reasons...
2. ...as long as Steam doesn't become mandatory.

This would make everybody happy because both, people who like and those who dislike Steam get what they want. Anyone here that does not agree with this?

If Steam becomes mandatory, I'm out. Steam is only acceptable to me as long as I can chose whether I want to use it or not. I'm an honest customer and I frown upon illegal downloading, but I don't want to be harassed because of other peoples crimes and since Steam sucks as copy protection, all it really is in the end is a organiser for your games and yet another platform for social interaction, but I don't need help organising my games and I don't need yet another way to blow my personal data into the cyberspace. I just want to play a game and I'm not alone with this point of view.
(Aside from that, I run BOINC on my PC, so every bit of CPU capacity spend on useless operations is a loss and a waste of power. Small things still sum up. Even on a quad core.)

So, please, I beg you, no installation limits, no mandatory Steam, no UbiStarter, no Games for Windows Life or anything comparable. People will download this game anyways. Don't punish honest customers for it. Dawn of Fantasy is not a game that primarily aims for casual gamers who tend to rather download games illegally than dedicated gamers like us, who will buy the game. It would be disrespectful to us to restrict the use of legal copies in order to prevent illegal downloading, just so that those who download the game anyways will have a (much) more enjopyable gaming experience. There are copy protection options that don't harass honest people (look at Risen) and how about putting a nice poster into the DVD box or something else as a little 'Tank you!' that can't be downloaded? This will be hundred times more helpful than the copy protection nightmare that Dawn of War II was with GFWL and Steam and whatnot.

I deeply respect the developers of any game as great as this is going to be, but I want them to respect their customers (me!) as well.

Hyroshi
03-07-2011, 03:35 PM
If the game is released on Steam, the population would be 10x what it is without steam. It is probably the best platform for an indy developer to get on ever. :) :) :)

Kennethmk89
03-11-2011, 07:12 PM
In no way could steam be a bad thing for this game or the devs, and makes is so easy for players to pick up and play. The crowd for steam is become more and more interested in rpgs

gordon2kam
03-12-2011, 07:46 AM
steam rags

Garyn
03-13-2011, 10:10 AM
its a great idea i would get it off of steam without leaving the house

Griegor Mcvennor
03-17-2011, 02:32 PM
I think the publisher would be wise to release it on as many platforms as possible to ensure the success of the game.

There are many options out there and each probably has it's own user base that is different from the others.

Steam ( Good for large developers)

Direct2Drive (Good for avoiding the steam hassel)

Stardock Impluse (Absolutely awesome support for indie developers)

Box Copies

I don't mind steam although it seems to eat up resources somtimes for intense games but I really lose Stardock Impulse. Impulse doesn't seem to hog up any system resources once it launches the game because it's not got all the ingrained mandatory funcationality associated with Steam. Direct 2 Drive is a great option for people who don't want to go to the store but don't want to deal with the hassels of Steam or Stardock Impulse.

Older gamers like myself probably like to have boxed copies simply because many people collect them like back in the old days when we middle agers were in middle and high school in the 90's. Box games of course don't give as great a return for the publishers but again, it's catering to a different customer base.

TLDR Version

Publish on as many platforms as you can.

Steam/Stardock Impulse ( Targets the younger crowd and College Students)
Direct2Drive (targets younger audience that doesn't like steam)
Box Copies ( Targets the older folks who like to collect game materials such as instruction books and goodies/ Younger crowds who hate steam)

All good options all different pools of customers to tap into based on their habits.

I personally would buy it off Impulse before steam but I'll do what is needed to get the game.

nord
03-18-2011, 11:34 AM
I love steam and it's the best DRM alternative right now

Ba'al
03-19-2011, 02:55 AM
I love steam and it's the best DRM alternative right now

I am no DRM expert and unless you are, I don't think that any of us can say anything in that direction, especially since anything related to computers progresses so fast it's hard to keep up with for non-experts.

Let's do a test: How many DRM Systems do you know? And what do you know about them? I think everybody knows Battlenet, UbiStarter, Games for Windows Life, Steam and so on, but there are hundreds of others.

When it comes to user friendly DRM I think Risen and Divinity 2 are good examples. Put the CD into your drive, install, play. That's all I want and they come without Steam or anything comparable.

//
I have the impression that everybody reads the first post and then posts his/her own opinion but there's nobody here really engaging in a discussion. It's all just " I like Steam" and "No, I don't like Steam."

Griegor Mcvennor
03-19-2011, 09:52 AM
I've never minded DRM. I always thought it was good for the games industry because lets face the facts here. The number of people willing to purchase a copy when they can get it for free just to support the developers is much lower than those willing to mooch when they can simply because they can. This is especially true during times of economic down turn. This is the same reason why you see the popularity of F2P games sky rocket. Of course the same people who don't want to subcribe to a game are the same idiots that fork over $20 a month of shiny things from the item malls, but I disgress.

I don't consider battlenet or steam an obstrusive DRM system. I always considered secure rom annoying although it was easy to bypass with a cracked exe file. I never cracked a game I didn't own, mostly I did it because I was too lazy to keep switching CD's all the time. There was another DRM system I can't remember that was extremely intrusive and caught alot of flack due to rumors of it interfering with a computer's system programming. I don't remember the name though, someone actually released a tool to help strip it from your system because it remained after you uninstalled the game.

I think if they release DOF on Stardock Impulse you would see quite a few sales of the game. Impulse prides itself as an alternative to steam but their DRM is much less intrusive. There is no encryption or any of that nonsense. Games are linked to your account, you download, install, and play. It's also much faster than steam and less resource intensive.

I don't really know if I would even consider Battlenet, Steam, or Impulse DRM anymore. It's akin to considering any PW/login combo for a forum or email system as DRM. The whole of DRM has changed in the past 10 years and it's definately nothing resembling what it used to be.

I think Reverie has a choice really. Release without DRM, eat up the initial losses due to file sharing (inevitiable even with steam games I think) Try to draw in as many customers as possible in order to profit that much more when it comes time for the expansion packs

OR

Do steam/impulse and use DRM services to ensure that every customer is a paying customer. THe question is in the end which method will earn you the most money at the end of the day?

Developers used to release shareware and freeware versions of their game's to get the hype out there and maximize profits. What ever happened to those days? That was the original DRM.

Joobs
03-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Yea steam is nice.

Not a requirement for me but a bonus.

luizeba
03-27-2011, 04:59 AM
me too.
I don't care paying 5$ more to be availble the game in steam. And, as I don't live in the US or EU, buying the game via Steam is the only way to I pay the right price on the game (If I buy in my own country, I'll pay about 150USD)

Swanea
03-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Personally Steam is a great way to advertise the game without having to pay a whole lot.

Of course, if the game was bad, it could hurt it too.

I use steam for games, even if I did not buy them through steam. It's a great program, never had a single problem with it.

WoOpin
03-29-2011, 04:48 PM
You know the more places they sell DoF the more a success the game will be so not a bad thing if they go on D2D Steam and Impulse. As well as going retail.

Ironcrown
03-30-2011, 03:34 AM
Yeah i think its a very good idea to sell the game trough steam. i have some games bought trought it and i'm very satisfied. i think its a good place to advertize the game too because many people use steam.