PDA

View Full Version : Looks like we have more competition, again

LiTos456
05-27-2010, 02:02 PM
The game World of Battles (I can't think of a less creative name honestly) apparently just released it's debut trailer (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-launch-world-of/100649), claiming to be an MMORTS.

Honestly... meh. Really didn't catch my eye at all, nothing really interesting happening there. What DoF does good in it's trailers are all the epic camera angles and lots of particles on screen and pretty fortresses. This is so plain though.

blackfang
05-27-2010, 02:10 PM
If i ever bother downloading it again (if the beta thingie is still up) and if my account is still there with all units (probably not) then i got a full undead pike/archer army. It is a ok game, but not very fun actually. It is cool to do battles but the only tactic there is to have the right units at the right fights. Formations does not really matter that much, i fought one orc berserker unit and it crushed me. Not very fun at all:(

Yami-Yagari
05-27-2010, 02:33 PM
I played it also, found it meh myself to. Real problem was there was no one to battle so that sucked. Also this and DoF can't really compare, so it basicly isn't competition perse. And like you said, it really is about having the right units at the right fights, kinda like Total War series only less fun.

Negthareas
05-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Looks like most games these days [I have a theory about this]

- boost up on the graphics, but not that much depth beyond that

The graphics did look good, very good, but I got the feeling they were only showing small cutscenes, etc. because there was not that much to show really.

It seems very similar to End of Nations [depite the fact it is fantasy] though. I mean, it seems to be MMORTS and that is it. No depth, no background, a plain little thing. Probably more like skirmishes than living world map too.

This will pose more of a prob for us though, since it is fantasy. [compared to End of Nations]. I hope it will do ok

- if they do really bad, it will hurt us a lost [smearing the MMORTS name, esp since it is fantasy]
- If they do really good [pI don't think that they will] they may steal our custermors

Yami-Yagari
05-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Well, its F2P so basicly they aint stealing customers, and seeing as it is F2P, my guess is that people really don't have real huge expectations of WoB.
Plus DoF is in an entire different liege than WoB (trust me), so no worries.

SvN
05-27-2010, 02:50 PM
"World of battles" Seriously what kind of name is that?:p

Kire
05-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Unit gear customization looked nice ..... =).

Yami-Yagari
05-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Unit gear customization looked nice ..... =).

That....... i have to agree on, it was nice. :)

Negthareas
05-27-2010, 07:02 PM
I just noticed that the blood looked really cheesy - almost animated.

DarkMaster
05-27-2010, 09:28 PM
"World of battles" Seriously what kind of name is that?
It's the name given to a world in which battles take place. Hence, the term "World of Battles"

zach12wqasxz
05-28-2010, 01:26 AM
what kind of name is dawn of fantasy? i do have to admit that the name is one of the very few weak sides to this game
now everyone's gonna hate me lol

DarkMaster
05-28-2010, 02:09 AM
yep. I hate you already:p

Yami-Yagari
05-28-2010, 03:05 AM
what kind of name is dawn of fantasy? i do have to admit that the name is one of the very few weak sides to this game
now everyone's gonna hate me lol

Have to admit, the name could do better, but still its a good name because you can already derive from the name that it is about fantasy. World of Battles on the other hand, at first(way back) thought it would be another WW or futuristic RTS. At least with DoF you don't get mislead thinking it is about shooting nazis.

otomotopia
05-28-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm going to take an impartial stance, like everyone else should before we start calling people fanbois. Dawn of Fantasy is an admittedly weak name, World of Battles is worse, as is End of Nations. DoF looks different then WoB; DoF is more stylized then WoB, like comparing WarcraftIII to Medieval Total War II. Overall, I'd choose DoF over WoB because of its community, developer support, aspects of game play, and free MMORTS mode (Though I would LOVE to see those equipment slots). Graphics are a bit weak with DoF, but its like picking up CoH again- weak graphics, but excellent "other stuff."

Yami-Yagari
05-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Yes, Iīd definitely would like to see equipment slots in DoF, giving batallions a flashy edge.

GPS51
05-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Yup and the next one will be called "Battle of the mice"...they should at least have a good sounding name...

otomotopia
05-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Yup and the next one will be called "Battle of the mice"...they should at least have a good sounding name...

Done (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_Guard), aaaaand... done (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redwall) and done again (http://www.youtube.com/user/BenjyWright).

Puppeteer
05-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Dawn of Fantasy is an admittedly weak name, World of Battles is worse
I hardly think that there's a distinction between the two, so you're not that impartial :p They're both pretty weak.

otomotopia
05-28-2010, 10:51 AM
I hardly think that there's a distinction between the two, so you're not that impartial :p They're both pretty weak.

Your opinion is not the only opinion. If you think that they're equally weak, that does not mean that I think one is worse, and that does not instantly mean that I am being impartial.

You're entitled to your opinion, but that I slightly disagree with your opinion doesn't mean that you should flat out slam my perspective.

GPS51
05-28-2010, 10:58 AM
I was referring to computer mice --> your mouse vs. mine. Just a lack of creativity here.

Puppeteer
05-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Woah, calm down oto, I was only referring to the stark similarity in lexicon and construction.

otomotopia
05-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Woah, calm down oto, I was only referring to the stark similarity in lexicon and construction.

Even so, using that as a base to call me non-impartial is kinda not cool in my book. I think that DoF is better, and I'm trying to post an even-keeled opinion about how or why without any influence I may have.

LiTos456
05-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Done (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_Guard), aaaaand... done (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redwall) and done again (http://www.youtube.com/user/BenjyWright).

My GOD what in the hell is that?!
And calm down with Pup there, I don't think anybody intended to start a fight. :p

Dawn of Fantasy isn't half weak. I mean what would be a better name? I actually think it's pretty cool.

Aelfwine
05-28-2010, 01:49 PM
xD and its an ok and legit name.... nothing fancy but still not horrid.
But that game is ok i guess... its pretty and eye catching but other than that... its more of a fair-weather game for me...

Yami-Yagari
05-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Well it may be weak name, but it donīt stray beside the point. :)

Aelfwine
05-28-2010, 01:59 PM
...well it has the fantasy... i think i mgiht just be missing hte point of where the "dawn" comes in... how did you guys pick the name for this anyways?... pull out 2 random words out of a cup?

Noxeros
05-28-2010, 02:21 PM
If we discuss game names here... "World of Warcraft" actually only "Warcraft" is bad in my opinion, I mean war craft? It sucks! Dawn of Fantasy is great! Compared to that anyway. Sure both describe the game quite well, Warcraft, you make war... Dawn of Fantasy, it's the dawn of a great and epic fantasy! (I don't know why they took that name)

PS. This is only my opinion if you don't share it with me. :)

nickson104
05-28-2010, 05:05 PM
If we discuss game names here... "World of Warcraft" actually only "Warcraft" is bad in my opinion, I mean war craft? It sucks! Dawn of Fantasy is great! Compared to that anyway. Sure both describe the game quite well, Warcraft, you make war...

Well yeah... You make war... Except in WoW you dont make war really... :p

And besides, not many people like the name World of Warcraft, thats why everyone says WoW and not just because its shorter too lol :p

Michael Mullens
05-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Looks okay, can't hate competition it's what inspires improvement and growth. I think magic is probably an OP trait and as for formations... I didn't see any, I just saw units standing in clumps. Good luck to them though as the more options available in the coming months heightens the number of people who will descend into our genre!

Josh Warner
05-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Well yeah... You make war... Except in WoW you dont make war really... :p

And besides, not many people like the name World of Warcraft, thats why everyone says WoW and not just because its shorter too lol :p

It's not fair to compare WoW to the rich, deep universe the RTSes created.

nickson104
05-30-2010, 08:20 AM
It's not fair to compare WoW to the rich, deep universe the RTSes created.

I think you just did... :p Basically saying it cant compare :p

Nah I personally think WoW was a good game, If you could combine Guild Wars/WoW then you would have the ultimate RPG I think... Anet are trying to do it with GW2, we shall see how that goes hehe :)