PDA

View Full Version : Servers? Lag?

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 05:56 AM
It'll probably come out sooner or later... but I'mquite curious... Your server is in Toronto right.... which means I'll be netting some nice latency if I do get to play... but how badly would everyone else be? I mean 2 huge armies facing off online how would that affect the game play?... your servers aren't running on hamsters are they? I know you know some of the ones out there are!

LoveToKill
05-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Honestly at first i could see there beingsome lag issues however after the game starts selling a quick down time fix for the win

Yami-Yagari
05-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Yeah thats basicly why they have Open beta and stress tests for, so that it won't happen.

otomotopia
05-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Edit: Read Kons post, I was misinformed and its the best answer.

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 06:02 PM
hmmm will the skirmishes also run through the server?

Yami-Yagari
05-18-2010, 03:10 AM
hmmm will the skirmishes also run through the server?

Probably yes.

sumo0
05-18-2010, 08:56 AM
i certainly hope so:P p2p tend to attract some laggers where u just think; jez get better comps or connections:P

Konstantin Fomenko
05-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Part of the secret why we are not charging a monthly fee to play - is that majority of combat will be thought through player to player connection - just as like regular multiplayer works in other RTS games.

Thus while most of the combat happens off the server - the server just handles all sort of persistence, security, progress monitoring - but none of that stuff is latency intense - so we really are hoping for a smooth gameplay experience.

So just as in any other multiplayer game you`ve played lately, your lag will only depend on the other players.

blackfang
05-18-2010, 11:02 AM
So just as in any other multiplayer game you`ve played lately, your lag will only depend on the other players.

Woohoo about fifty % of those i played with on starcraft 2 lags so much they quit the game instantly:rolleyes: Wonder how it will be now;)

Yami-Yagari
05-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Thats just plain cruel really. Kinda like in BFME2 custom maps with 4k cp and unlimited money, game freezes for 30 min and then DC :rolleyes:

Yes, were it to happen in DoF, it would be a fun experience.. hehe:eek:

LoveToKill
05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Ouch that may be a problem lol uhg so i would enter battle and never get my army back when some kid lags to Bad :x that will be a game killer but on the other hand i assume theyd just disconnect and then id ravage there armywhile there outa the game

blackfang
05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
The one that doesn't disappear wins and get the res right? right? (my pc always manage somehow to continue and my internet never fails:D )

LiTos456
05-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Part of the secret why we are not charging a monthly fee to play - is that majority of combat will be thought through player to player connection - just as like regular multiplayer works in other RTS games.

Thus while most of the combat happens off the server - the server just handles all sort of persistence, security, progress monitoring - but none of that stuff is latency intense - so we really are hoping for a smooth gameplay experience.

Clever one you are, clever...
Hmm...
Good idea indeed. Pay monthly would suck, I also hate games that have a retail price, monthly pay, AND microtransactions... (I'm looking at you APB)

Yami-Yagari
05-18-2010, 01:56 PM
It is clever, since it doesn't require any maintenance. But i hope lag will be minimal during battles, because if i had to choose between monthly pay and massive lag between battles, i'd rather pay $10 a month to be honest.

Aelfwine
05-19-2010, 12:12 AM
View Post
.... secret? theerressssssss mooooreeee? do we get cookies too?

Nimiria
05-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Well then I hope there will be a system that sorts out the lag-players, and perhaps kick them from the battle and make their troops AI controlled if they have huge lag and the game pauses vor 10 seconds every one second of play..

-Sigma-
05-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Well then I hope there will be a system that sorts out the lag-players, and perhaps kick them from the battle and make their troops AI controlled if they have huge lag and the game pauses vor 10 seconds every one second of play..

I'm confident this is will be fixed during BETA. I live in Australia so hopefully this wont happen and im pretty confident it wont. Alot of tests will be done hopefully people from overseas can join in BETA (which is a certainty) to test the lag further.

Michael Mullens
05-21-2010, 05:59 AM
Clever one you are, clever...
Hmm...
Good idea indeed. Pay monthly would suck, I also hate games that have a retail price, monthly pay, AND microtransactions... (I'm looking at you APB)

They went for the Tri-Force huh:rolleyes:

Michael Mullens
05-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Woohoo about fifty % of those i played with on starcraft 2 lags so much they quit the game instantly:rolleyes: Wonder how it will be now;)

Defenseless City Sieges FTW!

blackfang
05-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Defenseless City Sieges FTW!

Ohh yeah:p The problem is that those 50% were also including my allies as i played 2v2:o

zach12wqasxz
05-24-2010, 11:49 PM
u guys have not seen lag until u have played EvE Online and had 2 massive fleets going at it, with hundreds, and even thousands of players shooting each other on the same grid. a super computer, or super connection, will not save you. Its so bad fleet commanders before large fights will tell everyone to lower every graphical setting possible, and brace for the laggfest

blackfang
05-25-2010, 12:01 AM
u guys have not seen lag until u have played EvE Online and had 2 massive fleets going at it, with hundreds, and even thousands of players shooting each other on the same grid. a super computer, or super connection, will not save you. Its so bad fleet commanders before large fights will tell everyone to lower every graphical setting possible, and brace for the laggfest

Haha, i didnt have problems when the whole of red vs blue guild went all out in the largest battle i have ever seen. I think both fleets numbered in hundreds:D It was a total destruction, however afterwards i got lots of t2 stuff:p No laggs because i am awesome:rolleyes:

otomotopia
05-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Haha, i didnt have problems when the whole of red vs blue guild went all out in the largest battle i have ever seen. I think both fleets numbered in hundreds:D It was a total destruction, however afterwards i got lots of t2 stuff:p No laggs because i am awesome:rolleyes:

No lag because you're 24 miles from their server compared to 2,400 =P

zach12wqasxz
05-25-2010, 09:33 AM
No lag because you're 24 miles from their server compared to 2,400 =P

that, and the Alliance that attacked my allaince did not tell CCP that they were gonna make a move on our sovereignty, so CCP didnt have any of the server Nodes focused on our region, to greatly reduce lag, it was bad, we jumped through a gate and took almost 200 losses, in a few minutes, and half the fleet were still trying to load the map/grid

Yami-Yagari
05-25-2010, 10:01 AM
wauw, that has to suck pretty bad in your case.

blackfang
05-25-2010, 12:24 PM
that, and the Alliance that attacked my allaince did not tell CCP that they were gonna make a move on our sovereignty, so CCP didnt have any of the server Nodes focused on our region, to greatly reduce lag, it was bad, we jumped through a gate and took almost 200 losses, in a few minutes, and half the fleet were still trying to load the map/grid

Haha, what a stupid attacker. However it might not have been so bad as you guys used alot of people one at a time:D

wills370
05-27-2010, 01:49 AM
Lol hmm let that be a lesson to all you eve's out there.. Anyways back to topic i hope they will be able to have an advanced pairing system. Maybe even include it in the world map so you can only see players who are not only the same level but have a similar quality connection or better etc. So thoose who dont expierience lag. Wont.

Aelfwine
05-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Lol hmm let that be a lesson to all you eve's out there.. Anyways back to topic i hope they will be able to have an advanced pairing system. Maybe even include it in the world map so you can only see players who are not only the same level but have a similar quality connection or better etc. So thoose who dont expierience lag. Wont.

... i would love to see that... would save a great deal.. or somehow exploited... "Oh look, that guy lags - skeet-skeet-skeet- = easy win"

nickson104
05-28-2010, 05:06 PM
... i would love to see that... would save a great deal.. or somehow exploited... "Oh look, that guy lags - skeet-skeet-skeet- = easy win"

Either that or one second he is in his base, the next he has slaughtered your army and is performing a victory dance over their corpses and you have no idea what happened...

Josh Warner
05-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Either that or one second he is in his base, the next he has slaughtered your army and is performing a victory dance over their corpses and you have no idea what happened...

That's a de-sync not lag, look no further than the old Westwood Online for epic desyncing.