PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Friday XXVI - State of Development

Alex Walz
05-14-2010, 03:26 PM
FANTASY FRIDAY XXVI
State of Development Developer Blog

Hey all. :) We're be taking a break from the new media this week to address the many questions we've been dodging lately. So hopefully this post will get everyone up to date and provide some standardized answers as well as provide you with some updates regarding where we are in the development process. We'll be sending this out in an email newsletter as well, so hopefully everyone will be up to speed. We appreciate your patience with the delays and hope that you will find comfort in what's written below.

The Beta
The question everyone’s been asking – when is the beta? I know we’ve been kind of dodging this question lately as we haven’t been able to provide a clear answer. Fortunately, it’s not far off. We did have to delay it for a couple publisher requests, but we’re back on track and our Media Head, Danny Vink, is currently setting up the beta forums. Game-wise, we’re ready for the beta and are looking forward to hearing your input. All we’re waiting on is for the completion of our custom Game Updater, a tool which will allow testers to effortlessly update their build as our testers work to provide fixes for any reported bugs.

At the very latest, you can expect the first closed beta stage to be sent out by the end of May; however, don’t be surprised if it comes much sooner. There won’t be a long wait between the first and second and the second and third beta stages either, so it really won’t be much longer now.

The Publisher
Admittedly, we’ve been going back and forth on this one a bit. I still can’t provide too many details, but we have had some new offers lately and we’re weighing the benefits of each. We have some office visits scheduled for the end of May, which is where we’ll be able to get the clearest offer and meet the publisher executives first-hand. After that, it shouldn’t be too much longer until we sign a deal and then we’ll be able to make an announcement as soon as the publisher issues a press release.

The Current Build
We’re wrapping up a new build milestone, centered around the completion of the new single-player game mode, which we will formally announce as soon as the finishing touches are in place. We’ve done a couple more waves of Quality Assurance and we are starting to fine-tune unit statistics. From a level design perspective, we have wrapped up and begun implementing three brand new towns, with a fourth shaping up nicely. The Dwarven Caves are complete and the Dragon Realm of Sssilistra is looking very promising. We also have a number of modified environments for the new game mode. Our Writers have been busy finalizing the late-game MMORTS quests. The Elven and Orc quests are complete while the Human quests will be finished within the next couple of days. We also have a new Bug Tracker script which will make it easier for beta testers to report bugs, as well as several minor tweaks and updates to gameplay.

Expanding Reverie World Studios
To compensate for the time lost on a couple new features and publisher requests, I’m proud to announce that we are in the process of expanding Reverie World Studios, which will more than make up for any time lost. Most notably, we’ve worked out plans with a couple nearby colleges to enlist a number of new art interns. Despite their relative inexperience, we have seen a lot of talent in the many applications we have received, and we know that you won’t be disappointed in the end result when you may get to see some of their artwork in-game. We have six art intern interviews scheduled for next week, and may have a couple more after that, so as soon as we get our new modelers, animators, and texture artists, we’ll be able to whip out those dragon and dwarven mercenaries and start revamping several of the current game textures and models to make everything look fantastic while keeping lag at a minimum. We hope that some of these interns will stay with Reverie World Studios after their internships have ended.

On a smaller scale, we’ve revamped our Level Design and Game Design departments by rehiring three developers who were instrumental early on in the Dawn of Fantasy development process. We’re also in the process of hiring a Public Relations Assistant intern, who we hope may sign with Reverie World in the future.

Events
Today marks the end of the Facebook referral contest, so I hope you all took advantage of that if you wanted a beta key. I’d also like to thank everyone for their support as we approach 350 Facebook fans. If you haven’t already, please check out our page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dawn-of-Fantasy/112418172120572) and become a fan! This will be our last major contest for a while but we will have a couple once the first beta launches for both the current testers and those still wanting to get into a later stage.

If you haven’t seen it already, be sure to watch our latest trailer (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1409), a short preview of the Online Mode created by Danny and Konstantin. It’s a great watch and provides footage of all the features we’ve discussed in previous Fantasy Fridays – such as formations, the unit GUI, army camps, NPC interaction, etc.

Aametherar
05-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Yay! This is awesome, that's a lot of info, direct and straight forward, it's awesome to see solid answers and just get a feel of where everything is. All in all it seems to be shaping up nicely. Just amazing, not sure what else to say, great accomplishment! *tries hard to not jump up and down like a crazed goblin*

Yami-Yagari
05-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Hope you get a publisher. Kinda about time now :D

Aametherar
05-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Hope you get a publisher. Kinda about time now :D

A? Pfft I hope they get multiple, for different areas of the globe (=

Henry Martin
05-14-2010, 03:59 PM
I was hoping they would put some art internships on the forum. I'm getting toward the end of my college career and would have signed up right away for one:(.

Well, Its good to hear that the beta is starting soon. I'm on break in 2 weeks, so hopefully it will be around then.

LoveToKill
05-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Glad to hear that the beta is drawing quite near i figurede it would be released sometime soon after the 14th :x, To all youfortuinate enough to be in the beta Congrats idk if we will be able to follow your progress in closed Beta but non the lessi wish you all luck and i hope thatyou guys can clear the bugs as quickly as possiable, that way when open runs around i can show you some love. I look foward to any guides yall may make aswell.

For the Devs allthough i've known some what of DOF for a couple of years and just recentlyona whim registered for fourms gota say its one of my better decisions im glad i remembered the name My friends onvent are looking foward to this aswell. Honestly yallhave done a marvolus job (im not good at spellin i kno) and i honestly cansay at this moment im gladyou all stuck with Dawn of fantasy It's the only gameive been looking foward to since i found out all the juicy details of the game. Anyway in short please pass my thanks to the entire team.

nickson104
05-14-2010, 04:23 PM
THANK YOU THANK YOU, This information is great, Im actually happy you didnt put media, this thread is so much better :)

GPS51
05-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the update guys. Much appreciated. Go with the publisher that offers the most money! So long as it's not the ones we gamers love to hate ><. Looking forward to that 2nd beta round to get my lil' hands on that beta.

otomotopia
05-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Excellent update! I agree- this was very good news, and at this point better then the media we've been getting. Excellent, excellent news.

nickson104
05-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Excellent update! I agree- this was very good news, and at this point better then the media we've been getting. Excellent, excellent news.

Yeah, The media is pretty damn epic, but this news is just epic'er' :) :p

Alex Walz
05-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Go with the publisher that offers the most money!
This is hard because we've got deals in CAD, USD, and EUR and the global economy isn't exactly stable right now. ;)

Aametherar
05-14-2010, 05:08 PM
I agree that the normal FF's are epic, like works of art, I actually quote some just to look at how the posts set up, so much work and detail is put into them in every way and the results amazing...but this...this posts stupendous!

LoveToKill
05-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Well if this game becomes the next koreanolimpics like Sc BW was i dontthinkit would even matter to be honest but ya i herd that the dollar and euros falling why dont you just get one from w/e country you all Or the majority of you come from no one knows what the dollar will be tmmarow :x

otomotopia
05-14-2010, 07:12 PM
This is hard because we've got deals in CAD, USD, and EUR and the global economy isn't exactly stable right now. ;)

You should get it in precious metals!

GPS51
05-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Gold teeth caps! That way we can pay through the teeth...:rolleyes:

Henry Martin
05-14-2010, 08:35 PM

Damn Greece:p. This is the beginning of the spiral of the human race becoming like on 'Idiocracy'.

Negthareas
05-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Great! Nice to see some straight, sure answers! There is STILL hope in the world... whatever. Thanks for the update guys!

Michael Mullens
05-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Nice, Thanks for the update Alex.

Yami-Yagari
05-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Damn Greece:p. This is the beginning of the spiral of the human race becoming like on 'Idiocracy'.

Have to agree, Greece had one of the most ******ed policies, like pension on 63 and 13th and 14th month, was bound to go wrong eventually.

But yeah, really nice whats going on right now, hope you have great news at the end of may, Alex :D

Raulaun
05-15-2010, 01:56 AM
An amazing update, solved half the questions lingering in my head, thanks!

welshie
05-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Better than any screenshot for me, as now i know when/whats happing :)

Jack
05-15-2010, 01:59 AM
good news, soon there is a way to test dawn of fantasy:D
but i have to wait on a openbeta, or a beta that invites me:P
i always walked with the question of when is beginning the beta
and now it's sort of answered

LoveToKill
05-15-2010, 02:09 AM
good news, soon there is a way to test dawn of fantasy:D
but i have to wait on a openbeta, or a beta that invites me:P
i always walked with the question of when is beginning the beta
and now it's sort of answered

You and i share seats in the same boat my friend i hope open comes asap or i get lucky :x

nickson104
05-15-2010, 05:44 AM

:o IM NOT THE ONLY ONE TO SEE THAT FILM!!!! :D I know of no-one else who has!

Its not a great film, but it has a point, it is going to happen one day... :p

Vimes
05-15-2010, 05:52 AM
Nice post folks - congrats on the momenteum you seem to be building. We are going to make Featured games section and your in it ;)

Good luck!!

aerlfredith
05-15-2010, 08:55 AM
hi i thought that since you where hiring internships i'd mention that i am a firstyear student in a gamedevelopmentschool in belgium and my school is trying to establish some international relations for new students and for internships so if your interrrested www.digitalartsandentertainment.be is our website with some examples of work done by students
on a slighty related note i am sorry that i am a firstyear and must wait for an internship because i'd love to work on a project as cool as Dof, maybe in 2 years :p

Yami-Yagari
05-15-2010, 09:01 AM
hi i thought that since you where hiring internships i'd mention that i am a firstyear student in a gamedevelopmentschool in belgium and my school is trying to establish some international relations for new students and for internships so if your interrrested www.digitalartsandentertainment.be is our website with some examples of work done by students
on a slighty related note i am sorry that i am a firstyear and must wait for an internship because i'd love to work on a project as cool as Dof, maybe in 2 years :p

Een belg! :D yaaay.

Theres some really nice works in there.

Kire
05-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Yay new info, too bad my exams start at the end of this month =( and it would be nice if here would be picture of dwarven cave preview =P.

blackfang
05-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Idiocrazy is kinda fun, anyways the norwegian kroner is kinda stable. It is just to use norwegian:p also i can't wait! I am dropping the exams that begin about the same time as this game! This game is worth more then the exam thats going to decide my entire life from this point:D

LoveToKill
05-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Idiocrazy is kinda fun, anyways the norwegian kroner is kinda stable. It is just to use norwegian:p also i can't wait! I am dropping the exams that begin about the same time as this game! This game is worth more then the exam thats going to decide my entire life from this point:D

I agree who needs money after you get the next best game of all times that will alst you for a good 2+ years :x

Yami-Yagari
05-15-2010, 03:41 PM
I agree who needs money after you get the next best game of all times that will last you for a good 2+ years :x

Really hope the appeal sticks for 2 years.
Games tend to get boring if they don't get updated. Only reason WoW lasted this long, because of new fresh content.

LoveToKill
05-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Really hope the appeal sticks for 2 years.
Games tend to get boring if they don't get updated. Only reason WoW lasted this long, because of new fresh content.

I disagree i think its because there was nothing better,also look at sc no updates Really after the beggining just some futile attempts to stop hackers, Also its quite possiable that you could be easly addicted to this game for atleast a good few years but that dependson some key things and with the skirmish modes it seems realtivly easy allthough i still want to try it all out and help make this the best game of all time maybe give Blizz a run for there money

Yami-Yagari
05-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah, have to admit, my statement doesn't apply for every game. BFME2 has so support, but still loads of fun to do.

But really hope that Online Kingdoms won't lose its touch after a while, seeing its the main feature of the entire game. But with guild wars feature, don't think that'll happen. Would be nice to get a better look at the guild system in DoF in later "fantasy friday" updates.

LoveToKill
05-15-2010, 04:32 PM
I agree im looking foward to Large scale Guild wars alongwith maybe at a much later date a Race war perhaps allthough tohelp encourage guildwars they maywant to add like special cities only guilds cancapture thatprovide extra res

Henry Martin
05-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Never really played too many MMOs and the ones I did play I was a loner(the type of play I am). But, I might Join a guild for this game.

Theodorable
05-15-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm so excited. This new Fantasy Friday really put the game back into perspective, I was starting to lose faith!

LoveToKill
05-16-2010, 03:41 AM
Ya i like being solo but i feel i may need assitence inthe long run so i may run with a pack of guys depends what guilds there are and if there are any mature enough. Worst case i try to solo for as long as posiable but either case ill enjoy the game

aerlfredith
05-16-2010, 04:05 AM
i'll be done with exams for a month when the game comes out i'll have to wait NOOOOO pure torture:p
and i agree that there should be cities that can provide guild advantages and must be attacked by multiple armies or couple times in a row ,would be great for teamplay online

sirdustin
05-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Wow thats good news i kinda know where to plan some off days for beta after may.:)

Yami-Yagari
05-17-2010, 01:49 AM
Ya i like being solo but i feel i may need assitence inthe long run so i may run with a pack of guys depends what guilds there are and if there are any mature enough. Worst case i try to solo for as long as posiable but either case ill enjoy the game

Guilds will really be a necessity later on, because it will be tough to defend yourself when you invoke the wrath of one of the leading guilds on your server.
I really want to see an update about guilds and their benefits and guildstructure, hope it gets revealed in later fantasy fridays.

LoveToKill
05-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Aye but i planto grind tactics asap as soon as i get in game then se where to go from there ive gota few in theory ones but unfortuinatly for me or someone eles ill have to test these ideas on somebody

Yami-Yagari
05-17-2010, 02:54 AM
Your going Orc, right?

If so, its not really that hard in the beginning. Later on it will get more complicated because of the orcs weak economy.

LoveToKill
05-17-2010, 03:02 AM
Id imagine it would be harder early game as opposed to late game but once i hit cap and if any of my strats panout i wontbe worried by them type of things

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 03:41 AM
...from the sounds of it Orcs need to constantly farm their resources (ie. attack other people constantly) to keep their economy. Probably other orcs-humans-elves

Yami-Yagari
05-17-2010, 03:47 AM
...from the sounds of it Orcs need to constantly farm their resources (ie. attack other people constantly) to keep their economy. Probably other orcs-humans-elves

Yeah they do. Probly the reason why orc units are cheaper in contrast with other races.

LoveToKill
05-17-2010, 03:50 AM
Could be or we may need to just work a bit morei cant think it would come to that look at it like this if it was that way then thered beclose to Zero orcs cause wed have to kill each other off just to barely survive i thinkit may be rougher then other racesa but not to that extent id hope

Yami-Yagari
05-17-2010, 03:52 AM
Could be or we may need to just work a bit morei cant think it would come to that look at it like this if it was that way then thered beclose to Zero orcs cause wed have to kill each other off just to barely survive i thinkit may be rougher then other racesa but not to that extent id hope

The orcs economy is decent.. for early game. Later in the game their economy just won't be sufficient enough to support their armies and stuff.

LoveToKill
05-17-2010, 03:55 AM
Then how will that balanceout thats pretty much guranteeing that the orcsin the center of a region are gonna haveto kill eachother off Maybe i really dont know much bout thetravel system or how long it would take plus guilds EtcEtc then again allways make another castle same area and call it done

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 03:56 AM
well... from what ive gathered....
Elves - Elite - Expensive - Xenophobes.... >_> what i'll pick.
Humans - On the Fence
Orcs - Cheap - Massed - Quick.

I guess it'll be all based on play-style, like they said.

Humans for balance play-style.
Elves for slow turtling.
Orcs for unabashed rushing-raiding.

Thats all from first glance... I dunno if it'll hold true ingame.

The orcs economy is decent.. for early game. Later in the game their economy just won't be sufficient enough to support their armies and stuff.

Ya, orcs will be easy starters, but late game they might have to expand their territory and constantly fight for met their economic demands... while Elves would probably have a harder time starting out due to the slow but steady resource production they have, but late game, it looks like they might just pwn... humans... steady as she goes?

Then how will that balanceout thats pretty much guranteeing that the orcsin the center of a region are gonna haveto kill eachother off Maybe i really dont know much bout thetravel system or how long it would take plus guilds EtcEtc then again allways make another castle same area and call it done

For the Orcs... isnt it dog eat dog? Thats what I usually gathered from all games with rushers closed together... Stablished yourself and feed on the weaker... rinse and repeat. Then go for the big meat.

Yami-Yagari
05-17-2010, 04:01 AM
Then how will that balance out? thats pretty much guranteeing that the orcs in the center of a region are gonna have to kill each other off. Maybe i really dont know much about the travel system or how long it would take plus guilds EtcEtc. Then again allways make another castle same area and call it done

Because of the fact endgame orc economy will prove insufficient to support the orcs, is the reason why orc units are cheaper and can create the biggest armies. Orcs are pretty much better attackers then they are defenders, and comparing units, elf units cost six times more cp then orc units. So even though single orc units are weaker compared to the rest, its because of their numbers that they can raid human and elf settlements without having to worry that you run out of resources to mantain your playstyle. and even if you lose your army, you can still create a decent force in short amount of time for minimal resources.

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 04:11 AM
...just curious.... how many orcs units can an elven one kill before it dies... assuming its the same type-level-tier...

So even though single orc units are weaker compared to the rest, its because of their numbers that they can raid human and elf settlements without having to worry that you run out of resources to mantain your playstyle. and even if you lose your army, you can still create a decent force in short amount of time for minimal resources
I wonder how well elves would be able to raid in the early game... sure humans would have an easier time... but would it be plausible for elves to raid - farm?

Yami-Yagari
05-17-2010, 04:22 AM
...just curious.... how many orcs units can an elven one kill before it dies... assuming its the same type-level-tier...

Let's just say that their blade master unit can easily decimate waves of orcs and goblins before they either get charged by wargs or smashed by ogres.

I wonder how well elves would be able to raid in the early game... sure humans would have an easier time... but would it be plausible for elves to raid - farm?

Will be hard for elves to raid early game, seeing as they have a slow, but constant resource income, and that their units are probably the most expensive ingame.

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 05:27 AM
Will be hard for elves to raid early game, seeing as they have a slow, but constant resource income, and that their units are probably the most expensive ingame.

Ya i figured, but would it be cost effective to launch small raiding parties every once in awhile? Hit and run kinda thing?... I mean looting doesnt take long does it?

Yami-Yagari
05-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Ya i figured, but would it be cost effective to launch small raiding parties every once in awhile? Hit and run kinda thing?... I mean looting doesnt take long does it?

well, you can loot corpses for resources, so if people are stupid enough to attack you and they lose, you can scavenge them for initial resources.
Dunno if raiding would be such a great option for elves. You'd rather not go raiding, and instead build a good army and attack other armies. Probably the best way to get resources for elves.

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 06:32 AM
Ya... i kinda had a look at the units posted in the earlier posts... looks like Id have to have a sizeable army to raid.. and by then everyone would have like fair sized armies.. so why not go all the way =\.
Shame... I always did like to harry the enemies while im turtling away... I guess having them come to me would be just as good... tick off enough of my neighbors to raid me... then come out and wipe out their small force... teehee ^^

wou129
05-17-2010, 06:34 AM
you guys coudend have timed it beter becose im free fore the nexst 10 weeks :) if i pass may exsams of core wich i wil had the first on just a few min ago went perfict

(wow sorry fore the bad writing)

Yami-Yagari
05-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Ya... i kinda had a look at the units posted in the earlier posts... looks like Id have to have a sizeable army to raid.. and by then everyone would have like fair sized armies.. so why not go all the way =\.
Shame... I always did like to harry the enemies while im turtling away... I guess having them come to me would be just as good... tick off enough of my neighbors to raid me... then come out and wipe out their small force... teehee ^^

Yes, the elves are best when defending, because of their big cp cost. But elves archers are really best used on the walls, when hordes come crashing down while under fire.

But if you want to raid, there are some units that can be used. the cavalry archer and rider for instance. light and heavy cavalry can be used in many situations. If you were to go raiding, you're best off with cavalry.

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 07:29 AM
ya... but theyre so expensive =\

Yami-Yagari
05-17-2010, 07:33 AM
ya... but theyre so expensive =\

Cavalry archers.. Must i say more?:confused:

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 07:38 AM
well yes! you must... like if they bake cookies or something! But it probably wouldnt be so bad killing stay peasents and peons working in the field.,, then running off ^^

Yami-Yagari
05-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Its Cavalry and Archer put together. Whats there not to get!? :eek:
Fast moving archers attacks which are hard to keep up with, mowing down humans and goblins.

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 07:46 AM
but where are the cookies???!?!?! on another note... can the cavalry archer attack in melee? I read somewhere that the unicorn itself can attack when unmounted...

Yami-Yagari
05-17-2010, 07:52 AM
but where are the cookies???!?!?! on another note... can the cavalry archer attack in melee? I read somewhere that the unicorn itself can attack when unmounted...

They don't have cookies! You take cookies from innocent old ladies while you target practice with their grandchildren! then let your unicorn savagely maim the old lady!!

depends if cavalry archers can run out of arrows.

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 08:06 AM
You take cookies from innocent old ladies while you target practice with their grandchildren! then let your unicorn savagely maim the old lady!!
Ohhhh.... that takes too much work... what if she has a stick! i mean she could poke an eye out with those....

Sooo then the unicorns big pointy horn is pointless?... hah

Yami-Yagari
05-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Ohhhh.... that takes too much work... what if she has a stick! i mean she could poke an eye out with those....
Sooo then the unicorns big pointy horn is pointless?... hah

Can't honestly tell you. don't know it myself.

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 08:17 AM
... -__- ... ARENT you an orc fan though...

blackfang
05-17-2010, 08:20 AM

orcs got wargs, they don't need horns they got some incredible hounds that can bite and eat everything they want;)

Yami-Yagari
05-17-2010, 08:20 AM

This is what i mean! trying to help, and here you go whining at me.:mad:
Sorry for being knowledgable!:(

...nah no biggie. but can wargs still attack when mounted? if so, it would be the same case with unicorns

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 08:32 AM
...well the human crossbows can turn melee mode on, so well maybe the mods would throw a bone into this.
This is what i mean! trying to help, and here you go whining at me.
But im not whining, just assume everything i say is said with an upside down "U" eyes ^_^.

LoveToKill
05-17-2010, 03:55 PM
sounds like each race will have its moment in timeearly games orcs middle games is humans and then late game onwards sounds like it will be the elvs rockin the world to its foundations :x

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 06:05 PM
sounds like each race will have its moment in timeearly games orcs middle games is humans and then late game onwards sounds like it will be the elvs rockin the world to its foundations :x

hehe... i wonder how many elves get rushed early on?

LoveToKill
05-17-2010, 07:46 PM
hehe... i wonder how many elves get rushed early on?

Well for orcs they'llprob be KOS end game and capped army wise we shouldnt be able to hold a candle to you as the sounds of it are humans being the inbetween should hold there own in all settings but overall if Elfs where more powerful i could see them after everyone becomes a bit more organzisede whichcould happen befor games released thembeing KOS why let an enemy live when we could Ez gank'em now However i could be wrong and it may be a FFA typething for a few months so may possiablities so litte time :X

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 08:24 PM
... i dunno... im picturing in the end game picture on elf vs orc that in terms of numbers orcs will outnumber elves like 6 to 1... or something... hopefully it all balances out

Yami-Yagari
05-18-2010, 03:21 AM
... i dunno... im picturing in the end game picture on elf vs orc that in terms of numbers orcs will outnumber elves like 6 to 1... or something... hopefully it all balances out

Well, orcs do have powerful beasts like ogres and wargs, but elves have the ranged superiority with their imba archers.. and of course bladestorms and grand masters.

Orcs may have superior numbers, but elves have the superior firepower overall. So orc players really have to use their units individual abilities and strenghts wisely if they'r going to win from elven armies.

LoveToKill
05-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Sounds like we have our work cut out for us Oh well id haveit no other way i suppose :D

Yami-Yagari
05-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Thats the fun of being orcs. Massive armies of big green cruel bulky people, spreading your dark ways.

LoveToKill
05-18-2010, 11:04 AM
LoL you make us sound lke the plauge Hear us RAWR while we burndown yer Cities Buwhahahahahaha <--- o noes its da Evil laugh of Doooom!

Negthareas
05-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Well, I guess you can be green if you want... but I don't think it will help much for camo. Orcs smell too bad anyway - the elves could shoot them in the dead of night by the scent.

Yami-Yagari
05-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Well, I guess you can be green if you want... but I don't think it will help much for camo. Orcs smell too bad anyway - the elves could shoot them in the dead of night by the scent.

Unless they already shot them, seeing they have massive ears and orcs and ogres aren´t that sneaky unlike goblins.

LoveToKill
05-18-2010, 02:51 PM
LoL somehowhow sent in the dead of night which will suround your camp your gonna grab a sword and fight me horde? you mean to say is i was chillin sleepin with my elven self of Evilness and awoke to a horriable orc smell but befor i could sound the alarm the city was a blaze :x Buwhahaahahahaha when you can smell us its To late now fear or wrath (until late game then no we just wanted to drop off flowers and pot to keep the peace) xD srry imhyper atm :x

Yami-Yagari
05-18-2010, 02:56 PM
I´m kinda wondering about something. Since elves build buildings in and on trees, doesn´t that mean the moment we set a tree on fire, that it will spread into an fiery inferno, decimating all life within the city? :eek:

Abister
05-18-2010, 02:59 PM
That would be cool! But then again, since I'm prolly gonna be elves.. I'll die too easy. XD Though, if that DID happen then the elves would have to have a really good defense. Which, I read, that they have the strongest in the game. So it may be true.

LoveToKill
05-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Well honestly now that i think about it maybe instead of perfect walls the have them built in trees maybe you can burn that one tree into the grnd and create a breach? ireally am not looking foward to the power of the elfs late game

Yami-Yagari
05-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Well honestly now that i think about it maybe instead of perfect walls the have them built in trees maybe you can burn that one tree into the grnd and create a breach? ireally am not looking foward to the power of the elfs late game

Nah, that would be way to imbalanced. Would mean you'd only need catapults, fire at a single tree and squeeze your troops through. Besides, when you make it through the first wall, it will practically turn into a survival battle for the elves, seeing that without their wall, the can't utilise their archers to full effect. Nerfing their walls would take all the challenge out of the siege.

LoveToKill
05-18-2010, 04:18 PM
i suppose your right buti just cant see an orc player alone capped takeing on a capped elf player with his walls prehaps i assume to much though

Yami-Yagari
05-18-2010, 04:38 PM
i suppose your right buti just cant see an orc player alone capped takeing on a capped elf player with his walls prehaps i assume to much though

Well orcs have the advantage in numbers. Once you breach the wall, its all up close. Make a gay pile, and then let the ogres finish it :p

Craka_J
05-18-2010, 06:45 PM
I am very happy to see that this game is making a lot of progress and is not dead. I'm also really happy and excited to see that you guys are redoing some of the art (models and textures) to keep up with today's high-quality demanding market.

Good luck Reverie World Studios! I'm definitely purchasing this game when it releases.

blackfang
05-19-2010, 07:04 AM
Make it so that it depends on the seasons, i mean in a dry season the elven cities would be decimated without any effort. However in the wet seasons they would be a little more resistant:D That would be SOOO FAIR no complaints even:rolleyes:

Negthareas
05-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Nah, that would be way to imbalanced. Would mean you'd only need catapults, fire at a single tree and squeeze your troops through. Besides, when you make it through the first wall, it will practically turn into a survival battle for the elves, seeing that without their wall, the can't utilise their archers to full effect. Nerfing their walls would take all the challenge out of the siege.

All they will need is a few blademasters in the breach to hold it. with archers on the remain walls and behind - you would still be hard pressed. You would need more than one breach - maybe as many as 5 so that you can use your superior mob numbers.

Yami-Yagari
05-19-2010, 04:40 PM
All they will need is a few blademasters in the breach to hold it. with archers on the remain walls and behind - you would still be hard pressed. You would need more than one breach - maybe as many as 5 so that you can use your superior mob numbers.

That will be hard to do when your being attacked by couple of ogres. And surely no one starts sieging without any siege ladders.

Negthareas
05-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Hmm - against ogres would be tight. You would need the spear-people, and the walls would be under attack too, etc.. hmm -possible for good player to do.

LoveToKill
05-19-2010, 07:57 PM
well then fear my orc like nature as i summon the ogres of Dooom ~_~

Yami-Yagari
05-20-2010, 03:01 AM
Hmm - against ogres would be tight. You would need the spear-people, and the walls would be under attack too, etc.. hmm -possible for good player to do.

You don´t need wardens. you need Grand Masters!.
Only problem with them is that they'll probably will cost you a lot to recruit, seeing as it is their elite melee unit.
They are great against infantry and monsters + they can become invulnerable for a short amount of time.

Negthareas
05-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Right - but if units can walk through other units, they would be hardly effective.

LoveToKill
05-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Dont worry i dont see units in RTS walkin through each other any more it kinda became standard that your units block now :x

Negthareas
05-20-2010, 02:21 PM
In another post, YAMi-... suggested that wall units are almost always able to walke thourgh each other. I was just thinking if that would be standard on ground for this game too.

Yami-Yagari
05-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Wauw, killing the king in skirmish mode will be a walk in the park then, wouldn't it?
Can easily avoid enemy armies and go straight for the kill.

Negthareas
05-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Well, I meant that the orcs would have enough units to flood through the gap, reguardless of casaulties. Unless they were stopped and had to fight there.

Yami-Yagari
05-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Well, with enough strong units and the bladestorm's ability, elves could hold breaches against overwhelming odds.

LoveToKill
05-21-2010, 02:34 PM
maybe but by the time one elf player can defend himself orcs shall run aroundin packs killing all inour way (assumeing we are all cordinated enough then)

Yami-Yagari
05-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Or get cruelly maimed by our wargs. Or get buried in a orc-pile and die of the horrible stence we orcs produce because we haven't discovered hygiene yet. :p

LoveToKill
05-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Rofl heeellllllll ya

Michael Mullens
05-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Alliance of Orcs: Line Starts

Michael Mullens, <----- Here

Muhahaha

Yami-Yagari
05-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Well, if you want my loyalty, everyone has a price. Mine is just a bit higher. :p

blackfang
05-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Well, if you want my loyalty, everyone has a price. Mine is just a bit higher. :p

Pfft you are as cheep as a hamburger is good! And hamburgers are very good;) My price is a little different, i want a year supply of chocolate milkshake, a new tv, all your in-game resources and a copy of crysis 2:D Also if you put in a big pile of gold then that should be good as well:)

wills370
05-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Woo great to finnaly have some answers. And im to excited now with may fast ending shouldent be long now :). Great to hear you are hiring new people into the business nothing like new blood "so to speak) for creativity. Really great job!

Darathor
05-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Nice information and thanks for keeping us in the loop! It answered most of my questions about the beta. Thanks for the info. Can't wait for beta!

Khan kreiger
06-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Or get cruelly maimed by our wargs. Or get buried in a orc-pile and die of the horrible stence we orcs produce because we haven't discovered hygiene yet. :p

haha lol our stench