PDA

View Full Version : Playtest

Henry Martin
05-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Hey everyone. My group is going to start playtesting our game soon and I was wondering if anyone was will to test it. I want people I don't know to test it to give non-biased feedback. It would be awesome if one of the devs tested to. I will post a link to download it as some as I can.

Sorry to the Devs if I wasn't suppose to start this kind of thread.

Game info

Name: Directive R

Type:RTS/Simulation

description: Futuristic RTS set on a Destroyed planet. You play the "Inventor" who is trying to clean up the planet by using Scrubbers. He builds robots and gives them their own AI to do his work without tell them what to do every second. There are evil robots on this planet that don't want them here so they try and get rid of the invaders.

Gameplay:You build robots that you give 'AI'. This AI controls the robots instead of the player. You however have beacons that you can place on the map for the robots to go to if they are not doing there other commands. In the game you can choose to customize the robots AI or use pre-sets.

The robots can collect 'Resources' to build more robots and buildings. Their is to types of resources, 'Salvage(parts)' and 'Geoplasm(fuel)'.

The main goal of the game is to use these 'Scrubbers' to repair the planet. When near the Scrubbers you have to defend from the evil robots. If you don't defend they will get destroyed, you lose. If you do defend them(all that are in the level), you win.

Team:
Jon Thompson(Team lead/Audio/Texture artist)
James Kniffen(Lead Programmer/concept artist)
Henry Martin(Level designer/concept artist) that's me:D
Bill Anderson(Modeler/Texture artist/Programmer)
Sean Corcoran(Modeler/Texture artist)
Aaron Field(Modeling/Texture artist)
Andrew Deters(Programmer/Modeler/Texture artist/GUI artist)
Josh Caron(Programmer/Modeler/Texture artist/GUI artist)
Thomas Schoeberlein(Animator/Modeler/Texture artist)
Mac Buxton(Modeler/Texture artist/Animator)
Colton Hoadley(Modeler/Texture artist)
Karl Leonard(Modeler/Texture artist)
There was someone else that was on the team, but I forgot his name:(. He did modeling and texturing.

I will post screenshots around Wednesday as that's when my team lead said would be the best time.

any question just ask.

ScreenShots

This is what our game looks like.

GUI overlay(Tells about the GUI)
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac79/u_have_krabs/DR_screenOverlay.jpg?t=1274142751

This is our current GUI.
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac79/u_have_krabs/DR_screen.jpg?t=1273960804

This is the 'Scrubber' you have to protect with a 'Fighter bot' and 'Enemy bot' fighting.
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac79/u_have_krabs/DR_screen2.jpg?t=1273960849

Download

Before downloading

The zip is a little larger that 400mb.

-There is a read me in the zip which you should read. if you need any help with the game post and I will help you. We were going to put a tutorial level in the game, but that got cut and the game was going to have info windows pop up when you highlighted something, but that didn't get put in (don't know why).
-When you get to the DirectiveR GUI/main menu press 'M' to get the mouse to show(dont know why that is).
-Please post comments, help or problems in the thread, PM me, or email(my email is u_have_krabs@yahoo.com). I would prefer if you post on the forum.
-By comments I mean what you like, what you don't like, what you think should be add to the game, etc.

LiTos456
05-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Sign me up bud.

DarkMaster
05-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Your game got a name?

Henry Martin
05-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Your game got a name?

Remind you I didn't like the name or want it. It's "Directive R":(. My group was putting out horrible names and it came down that that and a few others that where all bad.

nickson104
05-06-2010, 05:25 PM
What type of game is it and whats it about?

Henry Martin
05-06-2010, 05:30 PM
What type of game is it and whats it about?

Its an RTS like majesty(you don't directly control your units). You basically are on a destroyed planet and you have to clean up. Their is combat, base building,with some of your basic RTS gameplay.

Yami-Yagari
05-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Sounds fun, sign me up.

nickson104
05-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Sure I may as well :) It cant hurt to have an extra opinion :) Also from playing it we could suggest other possible names for you? :)

Henry Martin
05-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Sure I may as well :) It cant hurt to have an extra opinion :) Also from playing it we could suggest other possible names for you? :)

That would be nice, but I think are group lead is set on the name:(.

LiTos456
05-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Sorry to hear that, sucks about the name.
I dont even see the relevance of the name to what you described the game is about.

metman
05-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Sounds good. I'd like to try it sign me up.

Negthareas
05-06-2010, 09:03 PM
I have some spare time until mid June. I'd be happy to test.

DarkMaster
05-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Hmm can you say the system reqs? I might be able to test, but my PC is kinda crappy.

Henry Martin
05-06-2010, 11:53 PM
For the engine we are using is Torque 3d. The min requirements are:
1ghz cpu (intel, amd)
512mb ram(1gb vista)
256mb video card

blackfang
05-07-2010, 01:06 AM
this sounds like fun:D i am willing:p

Raulaun
05-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Feel free to sign me up too, I'm good with personal feedback on visuals and sounds.

Danny Vink
05-08-2010, 09:16 PM
If I may suggest, it might be better if you show a few screenshots, give a full description + title, and maybe a website or a list of team members

If you edit your first post, and add all that in, I'm sure more people would sign up

welshie
05-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm all fingers if ya need another.

Henry Martin
05-08-2010, 10:00 PM
If I may suggest, it might be better if you show a few screenshots, give a full description + title, and maybe a website or a list of team members

If you edit your first post, and add all that in, I'm sure more people would sign up

Ok, I just talked to my boss:D and I should be posting this stuff on Monday(no guarantees). A build will probably be uploaded around the end of this coming week.

Henry Martin
05-10-2010, 10:59 AM
I've updated the first post with details.

GPS51
05-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Excellent job updating the info post krabs. GL with your project!

Henry Martin
05-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Excellent job updating the info post krabs. GL with your project!

Thanks. I do hope this game gets good responses as this will be a portfolio piece (even thought I wasn't big on the idea). This week and next week are the only time we have to really work on this game:eek:.

Negthareas
05-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Looks interesting. So I am assuming it is more of a economy-based game then? Exactly how do you defend the scrubbers, is what I am asking. While they controlled by the AI, are your attk-bots controlled by you?

Unen
05-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Ill give it a try. Looks like a fun game.

Henry Martin
05-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Looks interesting. So I am assuming it is more of a economy-based game then? Exactly how do you defend the scrubbers, is what I am asking. While they controlled by the AI, are your attk-bots controlled by you?

Majesty is the game that we where influenced by(not economy base, you just indirectly control your units). So you have no direct control over your units, the AI scripts control them.

For the AI, you have so many slots and you put the AI scripts in there. The scripts tell the robot something like attack, gather, defend etc. If you ever played dragon age, there is an option to set commands to your group so the game controls them instead of you(same thing in our game).

By setting these AI scripts you can do what you need with the robots(like defend an area).

Hope this answers your question.

Negthareas
05-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Majesty is the game that we where influenced by(not economy base, you just indirectly control your units). So you have no direct control over your units, the AI scripts control them.

For the AI, you have so many slots and you put the AI scripts in there. The scripts tell the robot something like attack, gather, defend etc. If you ever played dragon age, there is an option to set commands to your group so the game controls them instead of you(same thing in our game).

By setting these AI scripts you can do what you need with the robots(like defend an area).

Hope this answers your question.

Thank you.

Henry Martin
05-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Sorry guys for the no screenshots. Most of the stuff thats being passed of for importing into the engine from the modelers and animators are having problems. They are not making sure there bug free and not telling anyone if there are problems or not following direction(its a real pain in the ass). Tomorrow is when we are meeting for getting a testable build, so I am wondering how long that is going to take.

dilba
05-15-2010, 03:41 AM
Well, when its time sign me up! If it's anything like Majesty it will be awsome ;)

Michael Mullens
05-15-2010, 06:56 AM
Have room for 1 more? If so sign me up.

Yami-Yagari
05-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Kinda has a more of Settlers playstyle then, from what i'm reading?

Henry Martin
05-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Our game was broken yesterday:(. We however did get the new GUI in.

Henry Martin
05-15-2010, 05:05 PM
I have update my first post with 2 screensshots. Tell me what you think.

Unen
05-16-2010, 03:15 PM
I have update my first post with 2 screensshots. Tell me what you think.

The GUI looks a tad to 'big and blocky" for example the lower right hand corner takes up almost half the screen (height wise). Id suggest looking at spreading it out along the bottom of the screen (similar to the starcraft gui for example).
Just my two cents. Looks like the games going in a good direction though.

Edit: Would you post a screen shot that explains/describes the GUI? For example what so and so button (or icon) does/means, where the resources are.

Henry Martin
05-16-2010, 03:31 PM
thanks for the reply. Yes, it takes up to much of the screen. I'm going to mention that to my group on monday with other notes I have about it.

Yes I can do that.

Henry Martin
05-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Update first post with text telling about the GUIs functions.

Negthareas
05-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Actually - looks pretty good/ I thought it would be worse [no offense intended]. Will there be dots on the minimap?

Aametherar
05-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Looks pretty good. I've actually seen a few college projects end up turning into big money makers, who knows where it could lead!

Henry Martin
05-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Actually - looks pretty good/ I thought it would be worse [no offense intended]. Will there be dots on the minimap?

Lol, it was worse and I thought it was going to stay bad until I saw the new one, it still needs work, but not much is going to be changed. The guy how made it isn't the most stable person or friendly (afraid hes going to flip out one day, well he did a few times).

Yes, That screenshot was from an older build. The new one has dots for the camera, resources, enemies, your bots, etc (also that green line on the minimap moves).

Thanks for the comment Aametherar.

Unen
05-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Update first post with text telling about the GUIs functions.

Cool, makes more sense now.

Henry Martin
05-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Ok I have the final version of the group project. When I get the time I will post a link to download it. That will be either today or some time this weekend.

Also we had our presentation today (had to wear a suit) and it went better then we expected but didn't get the critiques that we wanted.

Negthareas
05-26-2010, 02:39 PM
looking forward to trying it out for you krabs.

Yami-Yagari
05-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Ok I have the final version of the group project. When I get the time I will post a link to download it. That will be either today or some time this weekend.

Also we had our presentation today (had to wear a suit) and it went better then we expected but didn't get the critiques that we wanted.

You really shouldn't have worn that pink tie with that suit, it looked awful. :eek:

Henry Martin
05-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Ok I have edit the first post(on the very bottom) with the link to my groups game to download. Hope you enjoy. It still needs work(if its continued), but it came out in the time and other problems that we had.

Unen
05-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Ok I have edit the first post(on the very bottom) with the link to my groups game to download. Hope you enjoy. It still needs work(if its continued), but it came out in the time and other problems that we had.

Sweet will give it a try.

Edit: Tried it out, but I'm having issues getting past the start menu, once it loads up and gets to the DR start menu I lose control or visibility of my mouse cursor. The 'R' in the title still keeps flashing though so I'm assuming it hasn't frozen.
Im running this on windows 7 32bit (also tried it in xp comparability mode, but still loosing my mouse).

Screen shot: http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/unen/drerror.png

Henry Martin
05-28-2010, 12:25 AM
You have to press 'M' on your keyboard. I don't know why only our programmer knows.

massenic
05-28-2010, 01:49 AM
krabs, you should have let me know about this earlier xD

I'm having exams so I'm not checking here a lot. (and when I do I don't check the off-topic section)

I'm downloading now and I'll try to give you as much feedback as possible.

~Massenic

edit: oh you only uploaded it yesterday xD

Henry Martin
05-28-2010, 02:09 AM
krabs, you should have let me know about this earlier xD

I'm having exams so I'm not checking here a lot. (and when I do I don't check the off-topic section)

I'm downloading now and I'll try to give you as much feedback as possible.

~Massenic

edit: oh you only uploaded it yesterday xD

Thanks a lot. Give all the feedback can whenever. I just finished my Finals yesterday. I have 2 weeks off:D.

Henry Martin
06-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Man, two teachers from my college quit, well one was a teacher the other was the head of the game design and dev program(just found out about the head guy this morning). The teacher was the most experienced one their (Michael Gjere). This suck as both were great people.

blackfang
06-04-2010, 01:08 AM
It was pretty weird, however i could only play one match yesterday:p Guess i should try and clear some time today:rolleyes:

Negthareas
06-04-2010, 08:00 AM
um, I am having .dll problems - the game won't load. Any ideas?

Do I have to install it - because there was no installer.

Henry Martin
06-04-2010, 11:46 AM
um, I am having .dll problems - the game won't load. Any ideas?

Do I have to install it - because there was no installer.

No you don't. can you tell me exactly what error says or show a screenshot.

Negthareas
06-05-2010, 10:02 PM
The program can't start because X3DAudio1_6.dll is missing from your computer. Try renstalling the program to fix this problem.

I got this messege when I went into the GAME folder and clicked Directive R. Any, I do not believe there was any installaion - I simply unzipped the folder to my C:\My Programs\DirectiveR.

Henry Martin
06-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Never seen that error. All that I can suggest is to see if you have the latest DirectX and also make sure your drivers are up to date.

szebus
06-06-2010, 02:27 PM
The program can't start because X3DAudio1_6.dll is missing from your computer. Try renstalling the program to fix this problem.

I got this messege when I went into the GAME folder and clicked Directive R. Any, I do not believe there was any installaion - I simply unzipped the folder to my C:\My Programs\DirectiveR.

Try to download the file from dll-files (http://www.dll-files.com/pop.php?dll=x3daudio1_6) and extract the file to your windows\system directory. This should help.

Negthareas
06-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Ok, did that - now it a new error says: "Unable to load game library: C:\Program Files (x86)\DirectiveR\game\Directive R.dll. Please make sure it exists and the latest DirectX is installed.

It does exist, so I am making sure now that my DX is up to date.

[edit] DirectX is updated, and the X3DAudio1-6...whatever is there too... still issues.

You now, computers are wonderful things, but sometimes you wish they had an infallible error discovery and quick solution program.

szebus
06-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Maybe if You update the sound driver.

blackfang
06-13-2010, 05:06 PM
i dont understand much about the game:rolleyes: But i try my best;)

Henry Martin
06-13-2010, 05:08 PM
i dont understand much about the game:rolleyes: But i try my best;)

Have any question just ask. Like I mentioned earlier their was suppose to be some help info/tutorials but they where removed for time reason. The game was mostly to show off, so we didn't really need that stuff unless we continued it.

blackfang
06-13-2010, 05:17 PM
ok first off, i dont get it at all really. I mean its fun that my steam engine vehicles are running around gathering and building towers till i have filled the map. But yet its incredible hard to find out what i am suppoused to do. (is the meaning with the game to just play to live?)

Henry Martin
06-13-2010, 05:22 PM
ok first off, i dont get it at all really. I mean its fun that my steam engine vehicles are running around gathering and building towers till i have filled the map. But yet its incredible hard to find out what i am suppoused to do. (is the meaning with the game to just play to live?)

You have to use/repair the 'Scrubbers (http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac79/u_have_krabs/DR_screen2.jpg?t=1273960849)' in the map (you have to look for them). That is the main goal. As soon as you use/repair all of them you win.